• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Lots of hype for this, let's hope it's a great video game movie.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And someone asked what's more popular Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat recently...

anigif_sub-buzz-6471-1490312526-5.gif

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ed boon is sitting on a gold mine tbh

this ip is way too good to just pump out a fighting game every 4 years

give me MK Shaolin Monks 2, MK RPG, MK everything

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm suprised by those numbers.

Please just don't suck, just be a decent, fun action movie and it's fine by me.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Wouldn't be the first(or the last) time era is wrong about something.
Can't wait for Subz to beat up Scorpion.

All of that plus an animated show.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018

I recall WB stating that MK2011(MK9) alone managed to return all the money they spent to acquire the IP and more. WB struck oil acquiring the IP.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason that after Midway went under, they were able to make an entire team dedicated to just making Mortal Kombat stuff. Mortal Kombat was huge even on the PS2/XBOX and into the PS3.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
I recall WB stating that MK2011(MK9) alone managed to return all the money they spent to acquire the IP and more. WB struck oil acquiring the IP.
Yeah, people underestimated big time the MK Team talent:
Most of their game since the Ps1 era were made on a rush/low budget since Midway was always struggling. It's incredible how much the quality went up the moment they got proper funding.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Most of their game since the Ps1 era were made on a rush/low budget since Midway was always struggling. It's incredible how much the quality went up the moment they got proper funding.

Deadly Alliance and Deception along with Shaolin Monks definitely were not rushed or low budget. Armageddon is when things were a bit more rushed.

But those other three games were big deals and kept up with other stuff from their era. Deception might still be my favorite MK.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Makes you wonder about the box office numbers. Could have been huge in the US, unless it turns out to be really bad.
WB has some marketing folks 👀

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
SF's always had more cultural cache and credibility, especially amongst the FGC, but I think MK's kind of always been a bit more popular.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.

MK is more popular among the mainstream while SF is more geared toward hardcore gamers. Just look at tournament activity and how the SF playerbase is more dedicated toward playing the game. Tekken is very similar to SF in this regard as well since it's got a strong level of commitment and similar selling power. Complaints toward MK games are recurrent (bad / sloppy animations, bad / mediocre gameplay by FG standards, etc).

To make it simple: MK outsell SF and Tekken (MK X and XI sold ~20M combined LTD), but it's got the least active playerbase out of the 3 and it's a struggle when it come to maintaining a healthy competitive tournament scene relatively to it's impressive sale numbers.

MerluzaSamus

Dec 3, 2018
Deadly Alliance and Deception along with Shaolin Monks definitely were not rushed or low budget. Armageddon is when things were a bit more rushed.

But those other three games were big deals and kept up with other stuff from their era. Deception might still be my favorite MK.
You are right, I borked the era. It was post Ps2 when stuff went dowhill...

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MK is more popular among the mainstream while SF is more geared toward hardcore gamers. Just look at tournament activity and how the SF playerbase is more dedicated toward playing the game. Tekken is very similar to SF in this regard as well since it's got a strong level of commitment and similar selling power. Complaints toward MK games are recurrent (bad / sloppy animations, bad / mediocre gameplay by FG standards, etc).

To make it simple: MK outsell SF and Tekken (MK X and XI sold ~20M combined LTD), but it's got the least active playerbase out of the 3 and it's a struggle when it come to maintaining a healthy competitive tournament scene relatively to it's impressive sale numbers.

Which is why a movie and trailer should do so well for mk. For many of the fans this is the same experience as a major new game release in the franchise. You watch the violence on youtube, go "oh cool" and then never touch the game.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018

It's worth notice that MK, like KI and any other western fighting game that comes to be, have no presence in asian countries, which is where fighting games were born per say. And also that games like SF and Tekken have been cultivating a competitve scene way before MK, granted that MK didn't have the same substance in terms of gameplay compared to those games.

But the bolded has been changing, MK11 has a very decent playerbase currently(even on PC), and numerous tournaments going on(mostly community driven though).

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Makes you wonder about the box office numbers. Could have been huge in the US, unless it turns out to be really bad.
WB has some marketing folks 👀

I imagine it probably would have been another Detective Pikachu case. It's one thing to get a lot of trailer views, it's another to convert them into butts into seats.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I imagine it probably would have been another Detective Pikachu case. It's one thing to get a lot of trailer views, it's another to convert them into butts into seats.
Yep, I thought for sure Pokemon was going to be big, maybe even 1billion big due to the popularity of the games. Boy that crow was not a tasty one.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
SF's always had more cultural cache and credibility, especially amongst the FGC, but I think MK's kind of always been a bit more popular.

Maybe I'm wrong, though.
I wouldn't say SF has more cultural cache as the MK theme song has massive mainstream culture cache (it's litterally the ubiquitous fight song). SF does have lot of cultural cache though no doubt about it.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Yeah, people underestimated big time the MK Team talent:
This is an interesting point, Midway wasn't anywhere near close of a powerhouse as Capcom and Namco. It worked for the 2d era when games were less costly, but they felt the impact going 3d:

DA and Deception were good entries.
MK4, Armageddon and MKvsDC had considerable issues.

But imo it's undeniable that it was through WB games that the MK team got the funds they needed to make a fully realized MK game after the klassic era.