• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I was watching this video that goes in-depth on what is known so far about Krushing Blows and I came out very impressed. Even during the exhibition matches during the reveal even this mechanic struck me as a game changer in regards to the meta game in competitive matches.

I don't think any other fighting game has a similar mechanic, and its properties and the way it's triggered seems like it can mean a completely twist in a match or in a particular round, as the Krushing Blow can be used to greatly damage opponents (or open them to big combos/damage over time situations), so I'm thinking competitive matches of MK11 will be even more exciting seeing as how the professional players will surely be on the lookout both to use their Krushing Blows as well as not letting the opposing player use theirs.

I'm making this thread because I searched for the video's title and thought no one was commenting particularly about it, but it seems like a great way to gain enlightment on this particular and (at least IMO) unique mechanic.

Edit: one other thing that I think it's worth it to point out is how this mechanic seems to have originated from Brutalities from MKX. And I think it's really great how NRS took a mechanic that was mostly for bragging rights or show to create something that actually affects gameplay in such a way.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an identical feature to Soul Calibur 6's lethal hits. I like it.
It's similar, but where (AFAIK) lethal hits will always leave opponents stunned, Krushing Blows lead to a variety of situations (bounce, move becomes cancelable, extra damage for the move, damage over time).

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Is this different from x-ray moves?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's similar, but where (AFAIK) lethal hits will always leave opponents stunned, Krushing Blows lead to a variety of situations (bounce, move becomes cancelable, extra damage for the move, damage over time).

Nope, lethal hits have stuns, bounces, higher launches for juggle or just more damage.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Yes. Krushing Blow (not to mistake with Fatal Blow, which is kind of the X-Ray alternative in MK11) is a more powerful version of special or combo that happens when you perform the move/combo while meeting certain criteria. Those criteria are different for different moves and can be e.g. "do the special as a follow up to something", or "perform the move while the enemy is open after an unsuccessful attack".

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
What's best is you only get one Krushing Blow a match (same with Lethal Blows.)

Great way to strategically adjust your gameplan based on when you need it.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Completely different. The only similarity is the x-ray effect, but the way it's triggered has nothing to do with x-rays.

This game actually did away with x-rays, introducing Fatal Blows, that are triggered exactly like X-rays (L2+R2), but can only be triggered once per match and only when you reach 30% health. It also doesn't cost your bars anymore.
Nope, lethal hits have stuns, bounces, higher launches for juggle or just more damage.
Oh, then it can be somewhat similar, yes. But can't lethal hits be used more than once per match?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Oh, then it can be somewhat similar, yes. But can't lethal hits be used more than once per match?
They can.

obviously SC6's Lethal Hits and MK11's Krushing blows are not EXACTLY the same. They've balanced it differently but the whole mechanic of "a move having special properties in particular situations" is something that SC6 did first.

MK11 just took that concept and made it part of the classic 2D "resource management" with Krushing Blows becoming a resource of sorts onto themselves (like Baraka's 1,1,2 string [At least I think that was the one] leading into a large damage combo if it's a Krushing Blow. But since you get one per match and the Krushing Blow only happens if the move was a punish, you gotta be mindful of when you wanna use it.) While in the same situation in SC6, you would purposefully just use a particular move that Lethal Hits on punish always if you can, since there's no reason to NOT use it (unless you can get higher damage from another move).

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crush Counters in Street Fighter V also come to mind.
Crush Counters do have fixed effects though.
They can.

obviously SC6's Lethal Hits and MK11's Krushing blows are not EXACTLY the same. They've balanced it differently but the whole mechanic of "a move having special properties in particular situations" is something that SC6 did first.

MK11 just took that concept and made it part of the classic 2D "resource management" with Krushing Blows becoming a resource of sorts onto themselves (like Baraka's 1,1,2 string [At least I think that was the one] leading into a large damage combo if it's a Krushing Blow. But since you get one per match and the Krushing Blow only happens if the move was a punish, you gotta be mindful of when you wanna use it.) While in the same situation in SC6, you would purposefully just use a particular move that Lethal Hits on punish always if you can, since there's no reason to NOT use it (unless you can get higher damage from another move).
I do think it becomes somewhat different when you and your opponent are aware they can only be used once, since you might start to resort to stuff you wouldn't use once your opponent has used theirs.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games are getting too complicated for me.

The past couple games have shown me that casual friendly really just means lots of single player content, because both mkx and 11 have some really difficult mechanics. Run canceling for combos was hard af. This game has two different meters to manage, different buttons to meter burn special moves, and this new krushing blow mechanic.

I love it, personally. But it is a lot to learn.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I do think it becomes somewhat different when you and your opponent are aware they can only be used once, since you might start to resort to stuff you wouldn't use once your opponent has used theirs.
And that is without a doubt the one thing that makes its applications on a real match different from that of a Lethal Hit.

Lethal Hits being constant means that a situation involving one will always carry out the same way. If it's a mixup, the results will always remain the same. If it's attempt to tech a throw, same deal. Doing a mid instead of a high because the opponent might do a move that dodges highs and gets Lethal Hits because of it? That'll always remain in your mind.

But whether or not the opponent has a Krushing Blow available for certain moves/strings DEFINITELY changes the dynamic. The Krushing Blow from a throw ALONE is such a huge deal because it feels like that's 30% damage on its own. You'll be more likely to just not guess on a throw if the cost of guessing wrong is 30%. But if you did guess wrong and you ate that 30%? Then you're gonna be much more liberal about teching. And not to mention the mixups that contain Krushing Blows, of which Geras definitely has. I believe its a overhead/low mixup but the overhead can do a Krushing Blow. So that changes the dynamic considerably right up until the thing hits then its just a regular 50/50 which you might be more willing to make "risky" guesses on.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I love that MK11 is seemingly focusing more on the meta game and strategy this time instead of just finding openings to perform the same combo again.
From what we've seen combos seem more simple this time.
Even as someone who liked performing crazy long combo chains I welcome this change.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And that is without a doubt the one thing that makes its applications on a real match different from that of a Lethal Hit.

Lethal Hits being constant means that a situation involving one will always carry out the same way. If it's a mixup, the results will always remain the same. If it's attempt to tech a throw, same deal. Doing a mid instead of a high because the opponent might do a move that dodges highs and gets Lethal Hits because of it? That'll always remain in your mind.

But whether or not the opponent has a Krushing Blow available for certain moves/strings DEFINITELY changes the dynamic. The Krushing Blow from a throw ALONE is such a huge deal because it feels like that's 30% damage on its own. You'll be more likely to just not guess on a throw if the cost of guessing wrong is 30%. But if you did guess wrong and you ate that 30%? Then you're gonna be much more liberal about teching. And not to mention the mixups that contain Krushing Blows, of which Geras definitely has. I believe its a overhead/low mixup but the overhead can do a Krushing Blow. So that changes the dynamic considerably right up until the thing hits then its just a regular 50/50 which you might be more willing to make "risky" guesses on.
Plus, if you watched the video, you can see the game actually lets you choose whether to trigger them or not even when you meet their requirements. On the hands of someone like Sonic Fox, imagine the mind games from that y'know?

Edit: you do so by holding the button to trigger the Krushing Blow when requirements are met. If you don't hold, then you keep the blow.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can imagine there small game breaks where the camera zooms to show shit breaking become really annoying. It messes up with the flow

Rean

Oct 27, 2017
krushing blows are really just tuned up lethal hits from soulcalibur, just like fatal blow is tuned up rage art from tekken

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can imagine there small game breaks where the camera zooms to show shit breaking become really annoying. It messes up with the flow
I don't see it becoming an issue, at least IMO. I also love it how they are "in-brand", so to say, since they are usually very gory/violent/bloody.

IMBCIT

Oct 27, 2017
Saw this video yesterday and was pretty intrigued. If they can balance this mechanic properly and maybe speed up the game a little bit I can see this turning into a very solid competitive game.

I hope it doesn't turn into a SFV situation where combo flow is seen as a negative.

Last edited:

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The past couple games have shown me that casual friendly really just means lots of single player content, because both mkx and 11 have some really difficult mechanics. Run canceling for combos was hard af. This game has two different meters to manage, different buttons to meter burn special moves, and this new krushing blow mechanic.

Yeah, casual friendly literally means a plethora of single player content and the ability to have an awesome time with friends without needing to know the advanced stuff

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018

Preach! This is what put me off the game at launch. I hated the inclusion of the run button, and input lag on combos made it a chore to play.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's just too bad that it doesn't seem to leave any damage on the character model. I think that would make all the more sense when you can trigger each krushing blow only once