• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure SF collection games did very well for Capcom. Anyone got sales figures for those ports?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
QLOC are the ones handling PC, were they handling the PC version for 10? Because they haven't done a bad job with other games AFAIK.
Maybe they are pulling a similar stunt to Dark Souls where other versions were QLOC and Switch was Virtuos :)

Originally High Voltage Software handled the PC port of MKX. However they did such a disastrous job they essentially shelved the game for awhile which meant no Kombat Pass 2 / XL update. It wasn't until QLOC was given the code that the new content additions were implemented and most of the issues with HVS's work was fixed. Hell HVS was also in charge of both the PS3 and Xbox 360 ports of MXX and results weren't satisfactory to what Netherrealm wanted and as a result the PS3 and 360 ports were canceled.

While I suppose to some degree Netherrealm was responsible for the issues of MKX on PC at launch before XL came out, but really it was High Voltage Software were clearly unsuited for the job they were given.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the debate with 30fps. Keep in mind that Fighting games have always been traditionally 60FPS not for performance because of internal mechanics and frame timing. Being both MK 9 and 10 were in a sense 2D Fighters because while it used 3D models it still was based on 2D Hit-Box detection so in that sense the animation is tied to the framerate.

Which is why even with hardware that supports it you won't likely find 120 or 144 fps traditional fighting games, due to the nature of each individual frame of animation being tied to certain keyframes within 60 frames per second.

Case in point you cannot simply double the frame rate to 120 and expect a move that is expected to come out in 5/60th of a frame and make it 10/120th.

Just the same you cannot do the reverse such as making the animation come out at 2.5/30th. This affects the speed of the game, not to mention reactional input, how long or short the animation plays upon pressing the button, in terms of when the move starts, it's duration, and recovery.

There isn't a case of any competitive fighting game that use 2D-hitbox based animation reducing the frame rate because of performance reasons because of the way framing priority works on a frame by frame basis.

I don't know what SNK did with SNK Heroines. I'm guessing internal logic was 60 due to frame timing but the display itself outputted to the 30? This doesn't make sense as is the antithesis of how fighting games and key frames in terms of animation generally work. Sounds messy.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
In the lead up to the release of MKX, NRS basically acted like the PC version didn't exist. Never showed it on the streams, never spoke about it, I assumed because they didn't actually work on it. I hope the same doesn't happen for the PC and switch versions this time. The lack of Switch beta doesn't give me a lot of confidence in that regard.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
This is Warner Bros, so people considering purchasing this on the NS should think back to the Wii U version of Injustice. The fact that we're unsure about the pre-order thing and there won't be a beta should be red flags.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This is Warner Bros, so people considering purchasing this on the NS should think back to the Wii U version of Injustice. The fact that we're unsure about the pre-order thing and there won't be a beta should be red flags.

The Wii U version of Injustice performed and ran better than both the PS3 and 360 versions. The main issue with the Wii U port was poor sales resulting it not getting most of the DLC or Ultimate Edition. Then again such was the case for pretty much every 3rd party port on the Wii U. It's not really same in regards for the Switch in this case.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii U version of Injustice performed and ran better than both the PS3 and 360 versions. The main issue with the Wii U port was poor sales resulting it not getting most of the DLC or Ultimate Edition. Then again such was the case for pretty much every 3rd party port on the Wii U. It's not really same in regards for the Switch in this case.

The lack of support was there before it even left the gate, so I could understand if we're talking years after the system launched. The way it was handled was terrible and bad for those who purchased the game. Lack of updates, DLC, etc. So we're starting off this game with no word on the pre-order bonus (looks like it's not included) and no beta. People should be wary until they prove otherwise.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I feel like while it being on Switch is neat, this is the kinda game I'd want on home consoles

Also good lord imagine playing this on a train or subway

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of support was there before it even left the gate, so I could understand if we're talking years after the system launched. The way it was handled was terrible and bad for those who purchased the game. Lack of updates, DLC, etc. So we're starting off this game with no word on the pre-order bonus (looks like it's not included) and no beta. People should be wary until they prove otherwise.
Wii U's failure was well established before it launched too. Honestly it wouldn't have been a surprise to anyone if they'd just canceled the port of Injustice entirely instead.

That said yes we should still be wary. Not all Switch ports are created equal and while fighters are generally one of the easiest genres to scale down, it's really going to come down the team doing the porting abd the resources they get for it.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's probably been stated already but did anyone else get MK2 Vibes when the trailer was shown? Not the footage necessarily, It was the whole logo with lightning thing and the way the Eleven was laid out in The logo like Roman numerals 2.
I certainly feel it now.
scorpion-mortal-kombat-ii-2.88.jpg

A5B17F7699F130C2F31AAB42900644C8BD4C8566

Oct 27, 2017
Wish theyd do remasters or heck even 1 to 1 arcade ports of MK, MK2 and UMK3!!! Whats stopping them? Theyd obviously sell a shit ton!!!

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, I decided to make an MK discord server after asking around and discovering there wasn't one. If anyone wants to join and get hype on the build up to MK11 please feel free to DM and I'll send you the invite link!

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the double post and bump, but I was having issues with the hide text feature so I couldn't post the invite link, but I sorted it out now so here's the actual link:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 27, 2017
They did a 1-U3 collection for XBLA/PSN last gen. I think there was work done a HD remaster of one of the 2D MKs too.

I remember the one they did last gen but it was full of bugs and strangely never patched to fix.

These 3 games deserve proper rereleases on current gen systems. You want to sell even more MK11? Have the 3 potential MK remasters be exclusively available for a period of time to preorders before making them a full release for everyone else. Im telling you....easy money!!!!

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
By the way, do we all agree that Raiden is the actual bad guy and cause of all the bad shit the happens in the games ?

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
How do you all feel about Tanya? Did you like her in MKX? They did so good with her, but I think she was the least purchased and played DLC character.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
What's the spiraling thing in the background at the end of the trailer and why does it look like the thing that wiped out the Smash Bros universe?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How do you all feel about Tanya? Did you like her in MKX? They did so good with her, but I think she was the least purchased and played DLC character.
I like her, but I like a lot of treacherous characters. She was the only living Edenian you could play as in the last game, but she always looks out for herself even above national pride. I enjoyed her ending where she hooked up with Rain... But still turned on him to save her own skin.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like her, but I like a lot of treacherous characters. She was the only living Edenian you could play as in the last game, but she always looks out for herself even above national pride. I enjoyed her ending where she hooked up with Rain... But still turned on him to save her own skin.

I thought she was mileenas lover or 'concubine' or something? She was a ton of fun to play as. Honestly one of the best characters in MKX.

Last edited:

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Wish theyd do remasters or heck even 1 to 1 arcade ports of MK, MK2 and UMK3!!! Whats stopping them? Theyd obviously sell a shit ton!!!

There was a classic MK HD game in the works that disappeared recently. The creator said they wouldn't be able to talk about it until January. Funny enough that happens to be the month they'll have the MK 11 community event...

Edit: early 2019 was the quote not January specifically.

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
Question: how active is the player base on PS4 for MKX? I'd love to dive back in but the PC playerbase seems dead.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited to see gameplay. Curious to see if the animation system gets overhauled and interested to see the new gameplay feature that will be introduced.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm clearly biased but I'd love to finally see Pinhead show up in this franchise.

6391341_orig.jpg

Actually, I'd love NeatherRealm to make a dedicated fighter filled with nothing but horror icons.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone wants to join the MK era discord server we've made, here's the invite link!:

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.