• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
R/MortalKombat

They linked to the VA's Twitter and she pretty much deconfirmed herself and said sometimes politics get in the way whatever that means.

Freakin' Trump, i knew it.

@EDIT
Also
tenor.gif

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess WB didn't wanna hire unionized VA's.

They hired Andrew Bowen back, who clearly is.

I think maybe they just wanted to have faces + voices matching this time around ? Ironically Andrew had a killer JVC impression back in the day so it would still fit 100% with Cage.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
The less legacy characters, the better. Let's move on. How many times can these characters get into the same fights, over and over with something that features "fatalities"? How many times can Mileena and Kitana repeat the story, over and over...and over?

Keep Sub/Scorpion if you have to but I want a 75% all new roster at minimum.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Freakin' Trump, i knew it.

@EDIT
Also
tenor.gif

Holy fucking shit that gif. I'm dying here.

The less legacy characters, the better. Let's move on. How many times can these characters get into the same fights, over and over with something that features "fatalities"? How many times can Mileena and Kitana repeat the story, over and over...and over?

Capcom once felt this way about their flagship fighter... before they lost a ton of money.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

Lack of legacy characters hurt games, SF III and Soul Calibur V for example, so you need a healthy mix.

As many times as needed. Fatalities are essentially fake matches. They're like Elseworld Tales of Mortal Kombat. The deaths in the story are the canon, some of the arcade endings hint at events, but the versus and such are just Death Battles.

The story of Mileena and Kitana has evolved: Mileena's goals have grown past Kitana to her birth right as the Empress of Outworld instead of just the faithful daughter of Shao Kahn and Kitana serves as Queen of the Netherrealm and is most likely concerned with that more than Mileena clawing for her old throne.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want more legacy characters not from MK1-3. Frost is my most wanted character for this game. I'd much rather have her, Kai and Reiko than say Kitana, Kung Lao and Sonya.

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The story hasn't been repeated, like, ever. MK is the one fighting game series where the story has always moved forward.

And fans were already upset with the amount of missing legacy characters in MKX. If all you had was Scorp/Sub returning, the vast majority of them wouldn't even buy the game.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018

The story has moved way beyond that. The reboot retold aspects of it because of the time travel.

In the original timeline Kitana killed Mileena right after MK2. In the new one Kitana was killed by Sindel so Millena survived, until been killed by D'vorah.

This is one of the few fighters were each one has a different story and moves on.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Based on the calls for his inclusion for MKX and the subsequent Kombat packs, him actually being in MKX's story mode, I don't think there's any way Fujin doesn't make it MK11's base roster. Plus, the story is clearly focusing on Raiden's turn, so I'd expect Fujin and other Elder gods to be there to try to talk sense in him, or be forced to join him.

One of the things I like about the MK series is how they've been able to turn characters I didn't care for into some of my favourites with added lore and some re-designs. Most of them are the ninja palette swaps that slowly became cool characters in their own right. Noob Saibot (still hate the name) was ultra cool in MK9. Ermac was another troll joke that turned into a pretty cool character in MKX for me (possibly was before, but that's when he clicked). The cyber ninjas originally felt kind of lame to me, but Triborg's return, smartly not spreading them across three slots, made me appreciate him more. In fact, Smoke gained som personality in MK9 too for me. Wondering who will get that treatment next.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One of the things I like about the MK series is how they've been able to turn characters I didn't care for into some of my favourites with added lore and some re-designs. Most of them are the ninja palette swaps that slowly became cool characters in their own right. Noob Saibot (still hate the name) was ultra cool in MK9. Ermac was another troll joke that turned into a pretty cool character in MKX for me (possibly was before, but that's when he clicked). The cyber ninjas originally felt kind of lame to me, but Triborg's return, smartly not spreading them across three slots, made me appreciate him more. In fact, Smoke gained som personality in MK9 too for me. Wondering who will get that treatment next.

This really is something that I really want to repeat how much I appreciate. You have all these generic color-swapped ninjas, but now Rain is a regal, royal demi-god and half-brother of Daegon and Taven. Ermac is this fascinating sorcerer-style mystic mummy collection of souls. Noob Saibot is the original Sub-Zero and brother of the current one, turned into a veritable grim reaper.

I just got done watching some old 2018 MKX streams and it's fascinating that they made a character like TREMOR into a fun, interesting, well-designed, well-crafted character.
Tremor-Mortal-Kombat-9-PSP.jpg

mfRbEqdahLA4-kijCuLO4QHaEJ.jpg

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Fujin is like The character i put all my money on being playable in MK 11.

Story wise, former instances of trolling with him and one of the most requested characters. He just has to.

Not being in it would be just fucked up at this point.

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to imagine that we are already about four months out from the next MK game and we will get to see some details for the next title in two weeks. Really hard to say what we should expect to see, but I am getting excited.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
This really is something that I really want to repeat how much I appreciate. You have all these generic color-swapped ninjas, but now Rain is a regal, royal demi-god and half-brother of Daegon and Taven. Ermac is this fascinating sorcerer-style mystic mummy collection of souls. Noob Saibot is the original Sub-Zero and brother of the current one, turned into a veritable grim reaper.

I just got done watching some old 2018 MKX streams and it's fascinating that they made a character like TREMOR into a fun, interesting, well-designed, well-crafted character.
Yup, Tremor and Rain are other great examples! Tremor was one of those that upon reveal I was pretty uninterested in, but the moveset and redesign added a lot. He went from "is that Scorpion washed out in this game?" to a character I went out of my way to choose and learn.

MKX did a lot for me. Bo Rai Cho was great in story mode (I was disappointed that his moveset really went hard on puke and farts, though, to me he's better as a drunken character, not a full-on joke). Even characters like Li Mei were able to become far more interesting design and story-wise in that game, to the point where I wouldn't have been disappointed if they took a DLC slot. I'm less interested in who is coming back then I am in seeing how they are updated at this point. Particularly now that they've established they can really let characters age.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hell, Ermac went from the ninja that nobody liked in UMK3 to my favorite character in the whole series thanks to MK9 and then X.

(Actually I loved his Deception design but didn't find him that fun to play)

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Someone should make a poll in this thread: What mode/feature do you expect to would you like to see return in MK11?

• Shaolin Monks style story mode
  • Create a Kombatant
  • Chess Kombat
  • Puzzle Kombat
  • Motor Kombat

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Someone should make a poll in this thread: What mode/feature do you expect to return in MK11?

• Create a Kombatant
  • Chess Kombat
  • Puzzle Kombat
  • Motor Kombat
I am not expecting any of those.
- Story mode continued;
- An expansion to the idea of revolving content (towers/multiverses) that are potentially seasonal, and where there's cosmetic unlocks tied to them;
- I am hoping for built-in online tournaments/brackets and access to notable fighting game tournament streams.

I would be stoked on any of your suggestions (create a character the least, truthfully), just not expecting any of them.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017

The issue is NRS' hit rate on new characters over the last twenty years is shockingly low and even bad redesigns of beloved characters are worth a lot more than new characters that nobody cares about, much less new characters that actually suck.

I say this as someone who'd generally appreciate more original characters. It is what it is.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The issue is NRS' hit rate on new characters over the last twenty years is shockingly low and even bad redesigns of beloved characters are worth a lot more than new characters that nobody cares about, much less new characters that actually suck.

I say this as someone who'd generally appreciate more original characters. It is what it is.
I always think it's in the presentation. Having been there since the very beginning, I remember all those lists of "worst MK characters" and while several of them are still quite bad, many others were better realized in future games.

Many of these characters were once considered complete and utter failures and jokes in the worst of ways, but have really come around.

81b58d609f0500470137f9587a4a3d5df5029397_128.gif

Rain? He was THE example many used for years that the color-swapped ninja idea had scrapped the bottom of the barrel. His color, and name, was an actual joke. But over the years he's gone from being embarrassing to be a character fans have embraced because his gimmick - and joke status - came full circle and became endearing, especially as they further ran with the Prince references.

4bf97a297bc95dfbeba229e593d75e1a02102838_128.gif

Stryker was once regarded by several fans as THE worst MK character of all time. While he may never be a Scorpion or Raiden, his appearance in MK 2011 gave him a great personality, didn't shy away from his "in over his head" average guy status, and they gave him great material and even some excellent promo trailers that had fun with him.

26b1a19fdca2206e5b00f17115a9251d96ff0158_128.gif

His name is literally "Boon" and "Tobias" spelled backwards, and he was at the tail-end of "running out of ninja colors", but the developers really fleshed him out, gave him agency, amazing powers, and great story reveals (Deception revealing he was the original Sub-Zero, and current Sub-Zero's brother, had many jaws on the floor).

Similar for characters like Nightwolf and even Sheeva during the reboot. Originally forgettable or bland characters, costumes, or movesets have been evolved in shockingly interesting ways over the years.

You could even say that characters like Reiko (once another bland character high up that list) and Havik (developed initially as just a Noob costume) have come into their own, especially in the MK comics.
latest

Now, they probably don't have any interest in salvaging characters like Hsu Hao, Meat, or Chameleon, but considering how much freedom they have to take many of these characters in new or exciting directions, I could easily see them doing amazing things with once-forgettable or neglected characters like Nitara, Drahmin, Kai, Li Mei, Mavado, etc.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
Someone should make a poll in this thread: What mode/feature do you expect to return in MK11?

• Create a Kombatant
  • Chess Kombat
  • Puzzle Kombat
  • Motor Kombat

Can we have all of them except Create a Kombatant? I feel like I used to play all of those more than the base game.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
R/MortalKombat

They linked to the VA's Twitter and she pretty much deconfirmed herself and said sometimes politics get in the way whatever that means.

She's referring to studio politics. Patrick Seitz (Scorpion) has already announced that he's out of MKXI. There's some speculation/rumors that they're going to go big on celebrities for MKXI.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
For new earth-based characters I think it'd be a nice change of pace to introduce at least one character that isn't US or Asian. Either European or South American works just as well for me.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think now more than ever I really want NRS to try and salvage the 3D characters into characters people could potentially love. Fujin, Reiko, Li Mei, Kai, Frost, hell even Jarek could potentially be interesting with a complete page one rewrite. As much as I love characters like Ermac, Reptile, Johnny, Kano, Jax etc I'd be more than willing for them to skip at least the base roster and let some more forgotten characters have a chance in the spotlight.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I am not expecting any of those.
- Story mode continued;
- An expansion to the idea of revolving content (towers/multiverses) that are potentially seasonal, and where there's cosmetic unlocks tied to them;
- I am hoping for built-in online tournaments/brackets and access to notable fighting game tournament streams.

I would be stoked on any of your suggestions (create a character the least, truthfully), just not expecting any of them.
None of that will return
Sorry, let me rephrase this: "Which would you like to see return?"

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I think now more than ever I really want NRS to try and salvage the 3D characters into characters people could potentially love. Fujin, Reiko, Li Mei, Kai, Frost, hell even Jarek could potentially be interesting with a complete page one rewrite. As much as I love characters like Ermac, Reptile, Johnny, Kano, Jax etc I'd be more than willing for them to skip at least the base roster and let some more forgotten characters have a chance in the spotlight.
There's some good stuff to mine, for sure. Li Mei was surprisingly cool in MKX's story. Fujin could really grow into a favourite if he's a major player against (or with) Dark Raiden. If Reiko loses the generic GI Joe's Zartan/Shang Tsung makeup look, the idea of the general of Shao Kahn's army (or a Kylo Ren like obsession with him) is one that could lead to a really badass character. Truthfully, I've never been big on Frost (I'm not the biggest fan of having multiple characters share their major traits), but Kai is a one that could get a pretty dramatic re-design. Here's what I believe to be some old concept art for him that shows that.

mkkaiconcept.jpg

Havik, as a chaotic character, is one that, with a redesign, could offer a really cool moveset and special place in the story. Even weirdos that fell flat like Drahmin and Moloch, either because they seemed pieced together or were too generic, could become fan favourites if they were given a fresh coat of paint and some epic moments in the story mode.

I have to say, that even though I've been one of the ones really saying they like the idea of revamping old characters based on Netherrealm's ability do so in recent years, I actually also enjoyed a lot of the new additions in MKX. For the non-humans, Ferra Tor was a fun master blaster ripoff that was unique in playstyle, Kotal Khan was a badass that saw some play in competitive tournaments and has room to grow in look and powers, and D'vorah was pretty unique and had a bigger role in the story than expected. For the humans, I thought the idea of a cowboy was admittedly kind of dumb but also undeniably cool, I enjoyed Cassie's role in the story, I think Kung-Jin's arc is an interesting one (but his character needs to develop a better look and moveset if he's to become a favourite) and Takeda had a cool weapon. So, who knows, even though their track record hasn't been great on new characters over the long run, they've shown some growth there recently for me, so I'm intrigued too.

There's confidence too based on seeing them come up with cool movesets or personalities for characters like Atom, Swamp Thing and Captain Cold in Injustice 2. I'm hoping they take more chances on movesets and playstyles.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
After watching Max play some MK9 I really hope Kabal, Sektor, Cyrax, Noob, Smoke and Stryker return. Triborg was cool but the human versions of the cyborgs were cool too.

Also I agree with Max that the game needs more color, MK9 was so colorful compared to the drab grey green blah that was MKX.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After watching Max play some MK9 I really hope Kabal, Sektor, Cyrax, Noob, Smoke and Stryker return. Triborg was cool but the human versions of the cyborgs were cool too.

Also I agree with Max that the game needs more color, MK9 was so colorful compared to the drab grey green blah that was MKX.
I'm hoping for a balance. MK9 had great use of color, but MKX's outfits (for the most part) were better designed (at least for the women). MK9 also had much more interesting stages too. MKX's stages almost all use either a strong source light that dilutes the character colors or a monotone haze that washes the characters out and blends them into the stage.

imageproxy.php

The way the Pit has evolved, by the next game you'll just be staring at a black screen.
(1)+Olha+o+Blaze+ali+atr%C3%A1s!.jpg

th

5721.jpg