• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Also, there's not "20+" strings, characters usually have about 7 full strings but they're broken down so you can get the frame data of all of them. For example, Sonya in MKX has B142, that's the full string. But the movelist breaks it down to B1, B14, and B142 so you can know the frames of every part of the string.
20+ normals and strings...

I just checked Sonya. She has 15 normals and 14 full strings. If I want to be extra generous and remove the normals that are the start of a string, that's 10 normals and 14 full strings. And if I want to be less generous and include all those partial strings because those are still subject to animation quality and being extraneous / overkill, there's 23 of those.

Last edited:

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl

I just checked Sonya. She has 15 normals and 14 full strings. If I want to be extra generous and remove the normals that are the start of a string, that's 10 normals and 14 full strings. And if I want to be less generous and include all those partial strings because those are still subject to animation quality and being extraneous / overkill, there's 23 of those.

You know how many of those strings are used in every match by anyone who's a competent mk player? Take a guess.

Also if you are counting down 2 and neutral jump 2 then... Lol. I'm still pretty sure you have no idea how the mechanics work. Let's play some games online like right now. I promise I will use every normal and combo string on you for scientific purposes.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Found the full cover render via ArtStation if anyone wants to use.
shane-miranda-key-art-01-20181219-mm-v07a-18k-full-web.jpg
Thank you. I have been looking for this one since the leak

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know how many of those strings are used in every match by anyone who's a competent mk player? Take a guess.

Also if you are counting down 2 and neutral jump 2 then... Lol. I'm still pretty sure you have no idea how the mechanics work. Let's play some games online like right now. I promise I will use every normal and combo string on you for scientific purposes.
That's the kind of talk that I like.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please let Mileena be back...
I got into MK for the first time last holidays where I visited my cousin. I rekt his shit immediately but I can't string the combos together. Is it really just input all of it steadily and it will get out? That's probably why I never got a follow up on my low pounce with her lol..

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Man, its crazy how the game went from one of my most hyped shortly before reveal to how worried I am now with voice actors getting snubbed for celebs, gear instead of costumes, and the current rumors about gameplay changes.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Plus only 1 celeb.

I'm telling ya, April 7th at Wrestlemania is gonna be a big giant sponsored event for MK11 by WB like FFXIV was. You're gonna have Ronda cosplaying as Sonya, New Day as the Ninjas, they'll work Trips to being Shao Kahn again with Braun and D-Bry ad Ferra/Torr. Book it.

Oct 25, 2017
Plus only 1 celeb.

I'm telling ya, April 7th at Wrestlemania is gonna be a big giant sponsored event for MK11 by WB like FFXIV was. You're gonna have Ronda cosplaying as Sonya, New Day as the Ninjas, they'll work Trips to being Shao Kahn again with Braun and D-Bry ad Ferra/Torr. Book it.
Related but I believe Kofi is gonna be at the event

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

Sonya, off the top of my head, has 1, 2, 3, 4, F2, B1, B3. Those normals are all the starts to her strings. For non-string normals she has D1, D2, D3, D4, F4. Her strings are 121, 112, B142, 2134, 213U4, F21, B33121, B33U4.

That's 12 normals I'm counting and 8 full strings. If you wanna take it as it is 1, 2, 3, 4, F2, B1, and B3 are all the string starts so they're part of strings. As far as animations that doesn't hurt Tekken or Virtua Fighter despite the multitude of normals and strings they have.. I mean, look at Tekken 7 and Alisa.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938186839

This is an NRS problem. Not a problem of "too many normals/strings".

Edit: Forgot a few Sonya normals which means 15. Still dunno where the 14 strings are coming from.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
The strings and specials of MK are all built around the fact that they can't instantly cross you up if youre blocking. Simply changing it to back to block means all of that has to be readjusted to fit the fact that blocking doesnt protect you from both sides.

Oh yeah I forgot doesn't holding the block button affect both directions as long as you're holding it? Haven't played a NRS game in 1-2 years

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sonya, off the top of my head, has 1, 2, 3, 4, F2, B1, B3. Those normals are all the starts to her strings. For non-string normals she has D1, D2, D3, D4, F4. Her strings are 121, 112, B142, 2134, 213U4, F21, B33121, B33U4.

That's 12 normals I'm counting and 8 full strings. If you wanna take it as it is 1, 2, 3, 4, F2, B1, and B3 are all the string starts so they're part of strings. As far as animations that doesn't hurt Tekken or Virtua Fighter despite the multitude of normals and strings they have.. I mean, look at Tekken 7 and Alisa.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938186839

This is an NRS problem. Not a problem of "too many normals/strings".

Edit: Forgot a few Sonya normals which means 15. Still dunno where the 14 strings are coming from.
121F4
B142
21U4
F2B1
B33211
B3324
B33U4
B33F4

Regardless, why can't it be both NRS and quantity? They can clearly do good animations as evidenced by the good animations here and there. They haven't been able to do good animations in quantity as evidenced by the bad animations everywhere else. They should scale it back if it's not manageable.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
121F4
B142
21U4
F2B1
B33211
B3324
B33U4
B33F4

Regardless, why can't it be both NRS and quantity? They can clearly do good animations as evidenced by the good animations here and there. They haven't been able to do good animations in quantity as evidenced by the bad animations everywhere else. They should scale it back if it's not manageable.

121F4? Is that variation specific? Some of those I'm remembering as variation specific. Like I said it was all off my head though. It can't be quantity because other games do even MORE than NRS and maintain their quality. NRS didn't suck at women's faces because there were too many faces in the game and they couldn't manage. The just have to get better in that department. Lao, on the whole, has good animations while Erron Black, on the whole, doesn't. It has nothing to do with what's managable because even DLC characters have bad animation and they should have more time for polish.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
121F4
B142
21U4
F2B1
B33211
B3324
B33U4
B33F4

You see how there are 4 strings that begin with B33? That... As me, comp and many others have been trying to tell you is how MK works. You have the option to go that route and finish that string as seen or cancel from one of those into special. That in the fighting game world is what we call a mixup or a 50/50... Ah fuck it I'm done until you send me a PSN game invite lmao.

Edit: I also play tekken and some characters move lists in game are 100+. I'm legit confused as to what FG you play.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Plus only 1 celeb.

Whatever brings us closer to WWE Immortals as a full-fledged game on consoles

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Hey guys

I hope they remove the block button
I also hope they make it link based

And while I'm at I really hope when you do an uppercut they scream "Hadokan!" Too

Then I'll play

/s

Oct 28, 2017
POTENTIALLY MAJOR NEWS BUT AS OF NOW A DISASTROUS RUMOR BELOW

Known pro NRS player and streamer Shujinkydink claims he's heard a rumor from someone relatively close to the development team that MK11 will be abandoning the NRS staple of their dial-in Kombos and instead be relying strictly on frame links ala Street fighter style.

I hope to God, Dormammu, Lord Boon and any and all other possible dieties this isn't true. There are already jab/normal links with these games when it comes to corner /juggle combos but to remove the current kombo system as seen in both the MK and Injustice series altogether would be completely stripping the core DNA of what makes these games unique. A lot of the personality of each character is embedded in the combo system we've grown to know and love (or loathe if you're more of an SF fan) and it's what's given these games their own identity apart from one another. It won't even feel like MK anymore IMO.

I know it's highly unlikely anyone from NRS would confirm/deconfirm this as rumors are typically ignored until disproven by further information.

With that said, can you at least tell us if there's any merit to this Osu 16 Bit (or at least tell us if the new fighting mechanics are massively game changing?) I've been a massive supporter of MK and Injustice and my heart is kinda breaking over even hearing of this as a possibility. I know it's a pre emptive panic but please, if you can say anything at all... just ease our fears, friend.

Either way, thanks Steve for always being awesome and a big inspiration in my own hopes for competing and maybe one day stepping into game development myself. Your games have brought me nothing but joy in the darkest times of my life (in particular these past few years with all my familial passings).
I don't believe at all. If NRS was going to abandon their dial combo system for frame links, they would do it for an experimental series like Injustice rather than Mortal Kombat. MK had way too much of a legacy to have its gameplay be changed like that while Injustice is relatively recent which allows for more wildly different mechanics without the baggage.

I'm gonna laugh hard if this BS rumor ends up being true and the first gameplay of MK11 I see involves Raiden having to do a charge motion in order to do an electric fly like Bison's Psycho Crusher.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So there was some concern that there would be differences between the Los Angeles and London shows on Thursday seeing as both are being streamed on different Twitch channels, but I received word from a WB that the main shows for both events will be the same but the post shows will differ based on location:

answer.png

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The thing I want most for this game is full crossplay. A longshot, but I want to see that happen with the next wave of fighters and a high profile game is a great start.