• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Er... what's with that music? Always down for some MK but I see they are up to their pre-order shenanigans so I guess I'll pick up the komplete edition down the road if it's good. I hope tag battle it back and the cast is decent this time.

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Nah, just a cool excuse to have fights between new and old school

I'm sure story mode is all "fuck you, you can't erase our universe, we'll fight you!" or something. Evil old MK characters in the role of MKX revenants

As long as it gives me Smoke back I'm okay with that.

Plz give us Smoke ._.

and no, not Triborg or Noob/Smoke

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
that trailer made me buy MKXL on the 1X... community active at all? god it's been a minute since i have played a fighting game 8[

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I feel like there are kernels of truth in each of the leaks, makes me wonder if some misinformation is being intentionally spread.

All the leaked rosters are disappointing IMO.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
ss_25db57e715957f9673a69723867942f79b8357d9.1920x1080.jpg

Not sold on Scorpion's redesign tbh. Especially after how good his MKX main costume was.

He looks cool. They tend to give the characters a lot of costumes, so as long as they include the old costumes I don't care what new ones they come up with. I just want to be able to pick klassic scorpion if I choose to.

PurpleRainz

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO so true, all your points. Just imagine what could have been included if they didn't spend so much time and money on awesome moves most people didn't use and were not tourney legal. And yeah the differences in gear were like Destiny weapon reskins bad.

I just hope this time they actually balance the moves if they insist on having them and maybe some stage DLC I still have nightmares about Gorilla City. That was the worst part about I2 some of those moves really changed how characters played but I never even got to use them because I didn't wanna deal with fighting nine million defense Batman. The biggest example being Robin with the staff which was I think an entire new move set locked behind a random drop.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to play Mortal Kombat II

I mean MK2, I mean MK XI.

One more time, MK11.

Loved MK9, MKX was also pretty fantastic. I'm sure the time travel gimmick for alternate versions of characters is gonna be a really cool way to cater to both new and old fans.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if I am more impressed with time travel or switch version xD

There is a Switch version? :O No wonder since it's using UE4 and this engine is optimised beyond galactic levels to work on everything that runs with electricity while outputting great results (if well used of course).
I hope there is cross-play everywhere.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
April is perfect. If Animal Crossing also comes out around that time Ill be picking up the most thematically clashing games ever haha.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
So, Mortal Kombat is coming to Switch before Dead or Alive, or Tekken, or Soul Calibur... or a new SF game.

i... don't know what to say lol.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
It was a particular bad and unfitting song. TJ Combo's theme in KI3 is one of the best uses I can think of, though.

But, that type still wouldn't be quite the MK vibe. Maybe something a little more Linkin Park-ish would fit with MK.

Eh,

Honestly none of those go with how hip-hop sounds today and they sound dated. TJ Combo's track is a mix of 10s and 90s hip-hop and it works for him but still. With MK one thing they've always been able to do is adapt with the popular music at the time surrounding the games. In the 90s it had sort of a techno/hip-hop vibe mixed in with the type of lore music they were going for. In the 3D versions they connected hard rock to it given that fit at the time. With the reboot they hit us with dub-step and with MKX they came with that Wiz Khalifa track which fit given hip-hop continued to rise. The Wiz track was a precursor for what we're hearing here.

Now hip-hop's the most popular music genre in the US so them doing a hip-hop track that connects to today's hip-hop makes sense. 21's very popular and judging the reactions a lot of people are connecting to it given MK is seen as the "cool fighter" if that makes any sense.

I'd see MK with a 21 Savage and Wiz Khalifa track over a Kendrick Lamar track today or hell, God forbid a Logic track. Logic wouldn't fit at all with what they're trying to do here.

Last edited:

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It seems the song was created for the game. Ed Boon needs to go by the folklore and make the Movie Theme official for the games someday.

It's UE4 bro, the lighting and the PBR alone make it better and more accurate.
Then I guess it's purely down to character models/art direction. Background seems less busy than MKX too.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Are those in-game/non-bull shot screens? Graphics looks great.

Also, is that some kind of evil Raiden? 'Cause I've wanted that since I was a kid, red lighting and everything.

Yes they are and tis how probably how the game gonna look on PC, PS4 Pro and XB O X with high resolution and IQ. Also yeah the general consensus that this game combines the first timeline and the the new timeline. that evil Raiden could be the losing Raiden from first timeline and the Scorpion with normal eyes is the non demonic Hanzo Hasashi from second timeline who gets killed by that Raiden and the Scorpion from first timeline takes the lead and revenge.

Then I guess it's purely down to character models/art direction. Background seems less busy than MKX too.

It's probably just those screens and they aren't the best ones chosen tbh. Those are mostly placehodler screens since they only show Raiden and Scorpion. When more stuff will be revealed we will get to see more screens and characters and probably those scereens gonna get changed..

Last edited:

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Are those in-game/non-bull shot screens? Graphics looks great.

Also, is that some kind of evil Raiden? 'Cause I've wanted that since I was a kid, red lighting and everything.
He went bad (again) at the end of MKX, so yeah. He's never officially had red lightning until now though, so glad they finally did it.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Tekken was on 3DS too, lol.

Or Sub-Zero.

though it's strange to me that those two have been representing MK for some time now, I remember Liu Kang being the face of the series in the 90's
I dunno. In the super Nintendo manual, there was a mini comic starring scorpion and subzero. Liu kang, though seemingly the main character of the games from the beginning, has always played second fiddle to the color swap ninjas.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Man, you gotta love Ed Boon. Game looks sick and I liked the song. 21

Can't wait for the Liu Kang reveal. Imma need the dragon. Hope he gets his human form back in this one

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Most hype reveal of the show. I'm so looking forward to this. I'm surprised at such a close release too! They probably did want to have it revealed at E3 but weren't ready just yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the Switch version runs at 60fps

I don't mind taking a graphical/resolution hit in the name of a silky smooth framerate

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Or Sub-Zero.

though it's strange to me that those two have been representing MK for some time now, I remember Liu Kang being the face of the series in the 90's

Sub-Zero is the only character that has been playable in every main series MK game and fans had a revolt when Scorpion was left off the MK3 roster.

Nobody respond to the Sub-Zero point with a technically or actually, you know what I mean.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yes they are and tis how probably how the game gonna look on PC, PS4 Pro and XB O X with high resolution and IQ. Also yeah the general consensus that this game combines the first timeline and the the new timeline. that evil Raiden could be the losing Raiden from first timeline and the Scorpion with eyes is the non demonic Hanzo Hasashi from second timeline who gets kileld by that Raiden and the Scorpion from first timeline takes the lead and revenge.

It's probably just those screens and they aren't the best ones chosen tbh. Those are mostly placehodler screens since they only show Raiden and Scorpion. When more stuff will be revealed we will get to see more screens and characters and probably those scereens gonna get changed..

Has NR established that the current timeline and the timeline from the prologue from the opening of MK9 are separate? If so, it almost sounds like they're doing to MK what they've already done with Injustice.

I posted these questions in an earlier post, but they ended up being buried by posts.

-- What are the chances that MK11 will dovetail into certain elements of the classic timeline?

-- Also, I'm not too familiar with the MK timeline after MK3. So anyone familiar with some of MK4 strands that were incorporated into MKX please enlighten me. Which threads from MK4 were homaged in MKX and which were subverted?

-- My cousin who's deeply into this franchise believes that if this current series can hold up the writers are angling to eventually work their way back to the events from the opening cinema in MK9, but with NR's modern spin.

And if MK11 does end up overlapping into the old timeline, which post MK3 game would MK11 be working from?