• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Has NR established that the current timeline and the timeline from the prologue from the opening of MK9 are separate? If so, it almost sounds like they're doing to MK what they've already done with Injustice.

I posted these questions in an earlier post, but they ended up being buried by posts.

-- What are the chances that MK11 will dovetail into certain elements of the classic timeline?

-- Also, I'm not too familiar with the MK timeline after MK3. So anyone familiar with some of MK4 strands that were incorporated into MKX please enlighten me. Which threads from MK4 were homaged in MKX and which were subverted?

-- My cousin who's deeply into this franchise believes that if this current series can hold up the writers are angling to eventually work their way back to the events from the opening cinema in MK9, but with NR's modern spin.

And if MK11 does end up overlapping into the old timeline, which post MK3 game would MK11 be working from?

Yes. It was very obvious from the game itself that MK9 is a sequel (in form of a reboot) that takes place after MK Armageddon where everyone was fighting to get the power of Blaze. The dying Raiden from first timeline udner the hands of Shao Kahn sent a message to his past self to prevent Shao kahn from escaping after the tournament which means he has to die now. this changed the whole timeline and made new events. Liu Kang didn't die and ddin't become a chained zombie and characters even got children who inherited their legacies. While the current Shao kahn died for sure, it seems the older Shao kahn survived and he is character in this game. The older Raiden became corrupt attacking and killing the new clean Scoprion. The older Scorpion who is still a spectre came back too to do his still wicked job.

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointed that
Shinnok will not be playable but great news that Noob will return.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is there a singleplayermode ala shaolin monks? That would interest me in the series again

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Honestly none of those go with how hip-hop sounds today and they sound dated.
I have no problem with them going with a more current vibe. But, Raiden and Scorpion are literally tearing each other apart and it doesn't sound like the rapper can be bothered to care even slightly. There was no intensity or urgency to anything he was saying. He might as well have been reading a grocery list or something. lol

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
That music didnt fit the trailer at all, but I usually listen to like hip hop playlists and shit during fighting games so it was pretty damn accurate to the play experience at the same time

Plz for the love of God have an adventure mode like it was rumored

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with them going with a more current vibe. But, Raiden and Scorpion are literally tearing each other apart and it doesn't sound like the rapper can be bothered to care even slightly. There was no intensity or urgency to anything he was saying. He might as well have been reading a grocery list or something. lol
That's 21's rapping style. He's controversial to a lot of listeners due to that lol. When he started getting popular man people had the pitchforks lmao.

-girgosz-

Aug 16, 2018
I'd rather have this song in 3 second loop than all original MK songs during fighting in X. The OST is soooooo generic.

Anyway happy for the announcement. Might be day 1.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
That song was atrocious and really didn't fit the cinematic at all, IMO. Having said that, pretty hyped about the game! Not so much about inevitable DLC fuckery though. Fucking WB, man...

Nihilus

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. This is from the steam;

Mortal Kombat is back and better than ever in the next evolution of the iconic franchise. The all new Custom Character Variations give you unprecedented control to customize the fighters and make them your own. The new graphics engine showcasing every skull-shattering, eye-popping moment, brings you so close to the fight you can feel it.

So what do they mean by "Custom Character Variations" ? And btw "new graphics engine" and coming out on switch means UE4 I think.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Why are they always using the same characters to announce and promote their MK games??
Having one female character in their announcement trailer would have been nice change after all these years. I really don't get it.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Why are they always using the same characters to announce and promote their MK games??
Having one female character in their announcement trailer would have been nice change after all these years. I really don't get it.
But there was a female character in the announcement trailer.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's just his rapping style lol. He's notorious for always sounding bored on tracks to the point that if he's not that way it'll standout. Back when he started blowing up a few years ago, the pitchforks were out for him lol.

It would be dope to hear a full project where he puts some emotion in his voice though but then again it's a signature of his to sound monotone. It reminds me of a lot of people I've grown up with from school.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I'd rather have this song in 3 second loop than all original MK songs during fighting in X. The OST is soooooo generic.

Anyway happy for the announcement. Might be day 1.

Oh it's a day one purchase for me, only question is........... for which platform ? :P

MK 9 was a 360 purchase, before I got the pc version.

MK X was a pc purchase first, before I got the XL release on the Xbox One.

MK on the Switch ? YES PLEASE, but maybe as a secondary system purchase. It'll be a coin flip between xbox and pc for me.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 and Switch too? Wasn't Mortal Kombat from Rare, and so, a Microsoft IP? Did I miss something?

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
How to completely ruin the mood of a trailer: Put in flaccid rap music where it makes no sense.

Also fuck that "Preorder to get Shao-Kahn" bullshit.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Now people can stop harassing him on his twitter haha.

Super cool news, loved Injustice 2 and hopefully they build on and around that foundation of systems.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
21 Savage so trash/boring...

But the "Bank Account" beat would have been perfect for this trailer...

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Great trailer.

And wow, how long has it been that a Mortal Kombat game was on a Nintendo platform? The SNES?

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Great trailer.

And wow, how long has it been that a Mortal Kombat game was on a Nintendo platform? The SNES?
Wii.

Only Nintendo hardware without MK games were Wii U and 3DS.

PS4 and Switch too? Wasn't Mortal Kombat from Rare, and so, a Microsoft IP? Did I miss something?
Mortal Kombat was Midway, which then sold it to WB.

You're thinking Killer Instinct.

Showing two male characters is (sadly) safer. Contrary to showing Kitana getting beaten or maybe had her head explode by Raiden.

Last edited:

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have never gotten around to playing MKX, so I have no idea what's going on in that trailer. Still, hope that with that time travel/alternate universe shenanigans they find a way to bring back some characters they offed before. Anyway, definitely interested, especially with the older designs also making an appearance.

Also, bring back Stryker! *runs away*

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad to see the absolutely fantastic sound design Netherrealms has been using since MKX is back and even grittier than ever.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I have to admit I found the trailer hilarious when the music came up. It was so unfitting

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Didn't the last game have a reveal with some out of place hip hop as well?

Seemed like they were just going for that again and it was kind of great.

These games don't really do much for me. Here's hoping there will be enough different to make me interested.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
I hope for a story mode

There's a story mode. They confirmed this game features a returning story mode in the trailer video's description:

Mortal Kombat's best in class cinematic story mode continues the epic saga over 25 years in the making.

It seems, from the trailer, the leak, and what people have gathered so far, time travel and parallel timelines will be prevalent themes in it.

Also, the PC port is being handled by a Helsinki-based developer named Shiver Games according to the game's steam page.