• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't think MK11 can have guest characters.

Like, MKX had some of the best possible guest characters ever.

They can't really go up from Predator and Alien.
Spawn has been heavily requested for years. So, that would be a good one.
Pennywise is a big possibility cause the It remake made a shitload of money and the character is extremely popular now.
Doom Slayer is right there for the taking and would just be completely bad ass. I think Doom Slayer will for sure be a DLC character in a fighting game in 2019. Could he MK 11, could be Smash but I think that's a good possibility for both games.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hope NRS can make the x-ray zoom-in moments 60fps..

In MKX, the constant switching between 30fps (intro, outtro, x-ray) and 60fps (gameplay) is jarring to me.
I'm wondering if they're going to continue with X-rays TBH. They had a presence in the previous two trailers for 9 and X. It wasn't here. However, there were some crazy moves that were indicative of supers similar to X-rays without the X-ray part.

Other than the super like moves, we saw weapons (maybe going back to stances--a hand to hand and a weapon instead of variations?), both characters also did an elemental style punch, the exact same punch, actually. I read somewhere they were adding a type of strike, and that was probably it. Raiden also did some bone breaking, which was reminiscent of MK4. Would be kind of cool to see that come back.

Also, completely unrelated, I'm wondering if Noob will be the new Elder Gods' champ instead of Scorpion since he was thrown into a Soulnado.

Last edited:

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
What would you guys think of having The Shredder in MK11 as a DLC character?
Feels like a great fit.

v26zPRvO_0101182211331sbpi.jpeg

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Can Mortal Kombat 11 get away with introducing only 2 new characters on the roster?

Edit: Also, is NRS open to the idea of reusing any of their guest characters? Robert Englund voiced the Scarecrow in Injustice 2. And Freddy Krueger has enough pop culture ubiquity that he has fans spanning generations. Just as Scorpion and Sub Zero have cultivated a built in fan base over the decades, I'm sure that there are players of MK9 and MKX who have become endeared to some of the guest characters too.

And on a somewhat related note, will the Disney buyout of Fox preclude NRS from ever using the Alien and Predator characters in future games?

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can Mortal Kombat 11 get away with introducing only 2 new characters on the roster?
I hope they only add a few new characters.

MK has so many great characters, it's always sad when classics don't make the roster and we end up with some garbage new characters. X had... 9 new characters? A few were decent, a few were forgettable, a few were bad, and then Ferra was Drahmin/Hsu Hao levels of bad.

MK9 had the best roster in series history, and there's a reason for that. I would personally like them to return to the originals, have a few X carryovers, add in some reworked 3D era characters, and just a few new characters.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope they only add a few new characters.

MK has so many great characters, it's always sad when classics don't make the roster and we end up with some garbage new characters. X had... 9 new characters? A few were decent, a few were forgettable, a few were bad, and then Ferra was Drahmin/Hsu Hao levels of bad.
The writers seemed to believe in Kotal Kahn, D'vorrah, and Cassie Cage.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
5-6 new characters feels like a nice sweet spot. I don't believe that fighting games should just constantly recycle the same characters. The stories and franchises should move forward and evolve. MKX had a lot of really good new additions with only Ferra/Tor and Erron Black feeling like wasted spots. Also while I might not like playing new characters, story mode is a great way to make players feel attached to them. I personally hated playing Kotal Kahn, but his personality and story make me want to see him in more games.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
5-6 new characters feels like a nice sweet spot. I don't believe that fighting games should just constantly recycle the same characters. The stories and franchises should move forward and evolve. MKX had a lot of really good new additions with only Ferra/Tor and Erron Black feeling like wasted spots. Also while I might not like playing new characters, story mode is a great way to make players feel attached to them. I personally hated playing Kotal Kahn, but his personality and story make me want to see him in more games.

You think the fact that the Kombat Kids took up 4 chapters distracted from the story? Would it not have been more prudent covering only 2 of the kids, thus assigning the extra chapters to someone like Erron Black or Kano?

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People often don't like new characters. The only time I ever felt a generational shift was done right was Tekken 3- and a lot of that was due to the upgrade from 2 to 3 technologically and gameplaywise.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writers seemed to believe in Kotal Kahn, D'vorrah, and Cassie Cage.
They did, yeah. Cassie had a good reception, and I think they could do a lot more with her. The other two played large roles in the story. I could see them both becoming NPCs in the story though as reception for them wasn't great. I expect a lot of the NPCs from X to be playable this time. Fujin, Sareena, maybe Li Mei and Rain, and some of the revenants (Sindel and Smoke).

People often don't like new characters. The only time I ever felt a generational shift was done right was Tekken 3- and a lot of that was due to the upgrade from 2 to 3 technologically and gameplaywise.
MK has had some good new additions past 3. Kenshi and Quan Chi being the obvious examples. The problem with some of the characters was merely their moves and how they played. Fujin, Havik and Hotaru could be done really well.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
You think the fact that the Kombat Kids took up 4 chapters distracted from the story? Would it not have been more prudent covering only 2 of the kids, thus assigning the extra chapters to someone like Erron Black or Kano?

I think the Kombat Kids each needed their own chapter, partially because they all needed time to have some focus so they could develop into the new heroes of the franchise. Now some are still underdeveloped but a foundation is there for them to either continue to grow as heroes, or some of them could split off and become antagonists. i personally believe that if Dark Raiden starts a conflict with Outworld Cassie and Kung Jin would turn against him.

However, Erron Black absolutely needed a chapter because he has no real character outside of being a servant of outworld, and unlike Reptile and Ermac, doesn't have a decade's worth of nostalgia and lore behind him.

The big problem though is that Netherrealm has a bit of a problem with which characters get chapters devoted to them. The chapter characters have to mostly be "good" aligned characters to justify why they don't kill their enemies. It is why characters like Kano will never have chapters. The only other option is what they did with D'vorah.

In all honesty I kind of hope Netherrealm reworks their story structure a little. Giving each character one chapter with only 4 fights kind of limits their role in the plot. Sub Zero got next to nothing to do in his chapter for example. I hope they evolve what they did in Injustice and have multiple characters be involved in the fights of each chapter and the player gets to pick which one they play as.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I need is for Cassie to return and I'm good on the character front. Scorpion better have his human form as well. I enjoyed that he finally had a human skin after all these years.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
MK11 really doesn't need to introduce any new characters with how many that were left out of and introduced in MKX, and how many older ones haven't been seen in ages.

If Reptile doesn't have his human form I'm going to riot.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I can't believe people still care about this ridiculous storyline. Just bring on the fun characters.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MK11 really doesn't need to introduce any new characters with how many that were left out of and introduced in MKX, and how many older ones haven't been seen in ages.

If Reptile doesn't have his human form I'm going to riot.
Seriously. I've hated his designs since Deadly Alliance. I did think the Armageddon/Shaolin Monks design was decent though.

He went from super powerful, hidden badass to grunt fodder. I'd rather they just shelve him if they're going to keep doing him like this. Bring back Baraka if you need a grunt enemy.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Seriously. I've hated his designs since Deadly Alliance. I did think the Armageddon/Shaolin Monks design was decent though.

He went from super powerful, hidden badass to grunt fodder. I'd rather they just shelve him if they're going to keep doing him like this. Bring back Baraka if you need a grunt enemy.

They've tried so many versions of him as an actual reptile and they've all been stupid.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think the Kombat Kids each needed their own chapter, partially because they all needed time to have some focus so they could develop into the new heroes of the franchise. Now some are still underdeveloped but a foundation is there for them to either continue to grow as heroes, or some of them could split off and become antagonists. i personally believe that if Dark Raiden starts a conflict with Outworld Cassie and Kung Jin would turn against him.

However, Erron Black absolutely needed a chapter because he has no real character outside of being a servant of outworld, and unlike Reptile and Ermac, doesn't have a decade's worth of nostalgia and lore behind him.

The big problem though is that Netherrealm has a bit of a problem with which characters get chapters devoted to them. The chapter characters have to mostly be "good" aligned characters to justify why they don't kill their enemies. It is why characters like Kano will never have chapters. The only other option is what they did with D'vorah.

In all honesty I kind of hope Netherrealm reworks their story structure a little. Giving each character one chapter with only 4 fights kind of limits their role in the plot. Sub Zero got next to nothing to do in his chapter for example. I hope they evolve what they did in Injustice and have multiple characters be involved in the fights of each chapter and the player gets to pick which one they play as.

You think it's possible that some of the canon kills in MK11 will be from earth defenders to avoid repetition?

I also heard a rumor that MK11's story will be told through 3 different characters.

This is neither here nor there at this point, but would it have done good to model Outworld like Asgard in the Thor films? Outworld seems like a third world country in comparison to Earthrealm.

Edit: Also, I never followed Mortal Kombat during the 3D era, but was the notion of Outworld as sympathetic underdog realm ever been explored in the lore? I've always assumed that it was a realm that was always aggressive trying to expand its territory and power.

On top of that, Kotal Kahn seems to be the status quo right now, with Netherrealm neutralized after MKX.

Last edited:

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe people still care about this ridiculous storyline. Just bring on the fun characters.

I won't claim the story is anything above a B movie summer blockbuster, but it is enjoyable. One of the few real advantages MK and Netherrealm in general have is their focus and singleplayer and story modes. As a total casual fighting game fan seeing the characters change and their connections to each other become more interwoven is why I keep coming back to this franchise.

Things like Noob being the original Sub-Zero, or Ermac going from a generic red ninja to a collection of souls possibly containing Kitana's father's are fun bits of lore that allow character's to become more than just the sum of their mechanics. Hell even the change from Tanya being a traitor to her realm to a warrior rebelling against Kotal Kahn so that it might be restored was a nice little bit of character alteration.

To me each game is like a superhero movie or comic event. I might not enjoy every detail or even think the writing is that great, but their is fun in seeing how the universe has grown or changed. It also benefits from the fact that most other fighting game franchises struggle to tell a story half as well with their casts. So while MK isn't amazing, it is better than almost all of its competition.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I won't claim the story is anything above a B movie summer blockbuster, but it is enjoyable. One of the few real advantages MK and Netherrealm in general have is their focus and singleplayer and story modes. As a total casual fighting game fan seeing the characters change and their connections to each other become more interwoven is why I keep coming back to this franchise.

Things like Noob being the original Sub-Zero, or Ermac going from a generic red ninja to a collection of souls possibly containing Kitana's father's are fun bits of lore that allow character's to become more than just the sum of their mechanics. Hell even the change from Tanya being a traitor to her realm to a warrior rebelling against Kotal Kahn so that it might be restored was a nice little bit of character alteration.

To me each game is like a superhero movie or comic event. I might not enjoy every detail or even think the writing is that great, but their is fun in seeing how the universe has grown or changed. It also benefits from the fact that most other fighting game franchises struggle to tell a story half as well with their casts. So while MK isn't amazing, it is better than almost all of its competition.
Well, there is one other fighting series that tells it's story as well as Mortal Kombat.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
You think it's possible that some of the canon kills in MK11 will be from earth defenders to avoid repetition?

I also heard a rumor that MK11's story will be told through 3 different characters.

This is neither here nor there at this point, but would it have done good to model Outworld like Asgard in the Thor films? Outworld seems like a third world country in comparison to Earthrealm.

Edit: Also, I never followed Mortal Kombat during the 3D era, but was the notion of Outworld as sympathetic underdog realm ever been explored in the lore? I've always assumed that it was a realm that was always aggressive trying to expand its territory and power.

On top of that, Kotal Kahn seems to be the status quo right now, with Netherrealm neutralized after MKX.

I think if the story is divided into more factions you could see some more player chapters feature fatalities. Right now the story is divided into Earthrealm, Outworld, and Netherrealm, with the possibility of Earthrealm warriors abandoning Raiden if they feel he is going too far. Right now all of these factions have characters that could be playable and could potentially kill their enemies. I have no idea how the possible time travel element hinted at in the trailer will play into this, but it is possible alternate timeline characters could function as deaths that would not impact this timeline at all, so for example, Cassie could kill an alternate version of Kitana without removing her character from future games.

As for your comments about Outworld's technology, that is a really interesting point. Outworld isn't really a classic world so much as a mushed together collection of different realms that each sort of layer over each other. So I can easily see it as a place with each major race or former realm wanting to be the dominant one, and that conflict keeping them from becoming too advanced. I do wish that it wasn't always treated as a sort of generic barbarian world like what we got in X.

For your last point I don't think Outworld has ever been really depicted as the underdog. Some villages would be depicted as victims of the main villain's rule, but Outworld was generally evil and Edenia was good. So shifting the power dynamic so that Earthrealm is preying on Outworld is a kind of interesting change. And while Kotal can seem like a business as usual emperor, I think a major difference is that he seems to have no interest in absorbing other realms. Kotal seems like he wants to lead his realm and keep it from becoming prey to other powers like the Netherrealm, and he believes to do that Outworld needs to be united. So he doesn't want any factions to splinter away, but he doesn't seem to want to conquer anyone either.

Well, there is one other fighting series that tells it's story as well as Mortal Kombat.
Injustice 2 was really solid, and I love how far it came from Injustice 1, I just wish some of the other fighting game series would match the level of investment NR puts into their games. SF5 had an interesting one but that franchise's lore makes MK look positively sane in comparison.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
As a member of the press who has been emailing WB back and forth for a week about this event, I find it odd that they wouldn't mention a beta/demo during those exchanges.

That said, I will email in the morning to find out if there's any validity to this, but I highly doubt it.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
As a member of the press who has been emailing WB back and forth for a week about this event, I find it odd that they wouldn't mention a beta/demo during those exchanges.

That said, I will email in the morning to find out if there's any validity to this, but I highly doubt it.

Doing the Lord's work. Elder God bless and Elder Godspeed.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kotal seems like he wants to lead his realm and keep it from becoming prey to other powers like the Netherrealm, and he believes to do that Outworld needs to be united. So he doesn't want any factions to splinter away, but he doesn't seem to want to conquer anyone either.

That almost sounds untenable if you're one of the head writers at NRS. He's a more lucid-minded tyrant, but how long before that gets stale? I almost feel like he's a place holder for until Shao Kahn returns in the future.

And what criteria do you think the writers at NRS are using in determining who will get the axe? Is it lack of popularity, a character running their course, or someone that NRS feels has no mileage in this new timeline?

NRS will no doubt plumb for more characters from the 3D era, but I imagine there are characters that are best kept buried and forgotten. Characters with lame backstories, designs, or too redundant. Couldn't they just use the more forgettable characters in that capacity -- maybe even a humorous demise like the Cairo swordman in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

How could Mokap work in the story mode? I think most fans would crap on it in my opinion.

Last edited:

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Omg what if one of the new male characters turns out to be Kung Jin's love interest?! I'd stan forever.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Pinhead would be a really easy addition to the roster. The rights are probably had for pennies, they can reuse some assets and animation sets from Scorpion but swap out the chain knife with barbed wire and Doug Bradley would probably love to be offered something Pinhead related that isn't a $100,000 straight to DVD movie.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Kotal is waay more unique and cool from a design perspective. His gameplay is not bad either to be honest and with some improvements he can really shine ( excuse the pun )

Can't wait for the reveal.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
Setting yourself up for disappointment my dude.

But honestly I'd prefer a full focused game on it rather than just another mode

if smash can have a singleplayer mode like that mk can do it too
idk i think it feels like something boon would do, i think he really likes shaolin monks but probably doesnt get the greenlight for a full shaolin monks game

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting a big single player mode because it probably wouldn't have all the hooks to get people to keep checking back in. I expect them to go even heavier on the Injustice style loot drops and character pieces to chase, whatever form they take.