• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
csf45ux6keg21.png

Weird that they are advertising the game using "new engine" line.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
The game uses a "new graphics engine" which is just marketing jargon more than anything, though it doesn't necessarily mean they have to stop using UE3 as they can just iterate on their custom graphics pipeline, just like Injustice 2.

MK11 looks similar to MKX and Injustice 2 anyways tbh.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Guess that explains why the character models never made it past MK9 in terms of the facial modeling that comes across almost uncanny valley to me, but that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Clarification.

Last edited:

El Sabroso

Oct 25, 2017
Monterrey, MX
don't remember that injustice was advertised as UE4 at some point, but if is still UE3 anyways, as how Injustice 2 is currently supporting 21:9 and having amazing performance and netcode, I have good expectations for the PC port of MK11

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
don't remember that injustice was advertised as UE4 at some point, but if is still UE3 anyways, as how Injustice 2 is currently supporting 21:9 and having amazing performance and netcode, I have good expectations for the PC port of MK11
Yup, QLOC are going to do a fantastic job if the PC version of Mortal Kombat XL is anything to go by. The original team porting Mortal Kombat X did a horrible job.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I mean if it is, that's weird... but given the results, I'm not complaining.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Huh, you sure the game ain't using UE4, OP?

This is clearly the UE4 Blueprint editor

1TLSfQ5.png

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Doesn't matter either way since they clearly have their own secret sauce going for them. IJ2 looked great, MK11 looks to be a step up from that.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Why?"

Probably because they've built their own toolchain upon the base of the base UE3 middleware. It's not something you can just switch out when you've got a lot of things built on it. I'd assume that at this point, they likely have a whole lot more of their own software running there than things that are left over from UE.
Their graphics pipeline is most certainly not base UE3 anymore, and that's really what most people on this forum think "engine" means.

EDIT: That picture of their modeling tool basically just means the above.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing NetherRealm had to tear down and retool a lot of UE3 for MK9, particularly to get it running at 60fps on consoles. Maybe they've just been building on top of their own fork of UE3 every since?

It wouldn't be unprecedented at all. The Splinter Cell games after Pandora Tomorrow I think all run on forks of Unreal 2.5, all the way up to Blacklist, never actually switching to UE3. Call of Duty famously still runs on what are essentially forks of Quake III. The Far Cry series' various stages of Ubisoft's Dunia engine are all forks of CryEngine 1.

Just looks at Liu Kang.

That Liu Kang model is from MK9.

The leap from MK9 and MKX was significant, not to mention the faces in Injustice 2.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
To people asking why? The question is WHY NOT? UE3 produced the likes of GGXRD and Batman Arkham Knight and of course, Injustice 2 and this game this gen. UE3 is clearly far from being out of gas

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well then that makes the Switch version even more interesting to look at. Good luck to that porting team.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
another shot

4Kin5XN.png

someone's incorrect here
Looks like they took the front end of UE4 and ported it to their unique version of UE3. I've been on teams that have talked about doing this before.

They way the UE4 front end organizes information is probably an improvement to what they had before.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Probably easier to modify their base and have a stable game they could iterate on instead of starting from scratch. People on ERA worry too much about engines to be honest, its a tool that can help in some areas and be largely inconsequential in others.