• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The mode you're looking for is Klassic Towers. That's the regular arcade mode. You also may be interested in Towers of Time, which is a series of battles with specific requirements.

Also, combos have been part of MK since 3 and they never really went away since then. Though I think in MK11 you can get by with a few basic strings if you just want to play on a casual level.
Thanks. Yes, I'm a casual gamer. None of this hardcore/super tourney competitive stuff. Except with a few friends in person. I'll give Klassic Towers a go. If it doesn't feel any good, I'm going to sell this game.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just started playing the game after having it delivered yesterday...

...I can't even pull off the first 'Basic Kombo'. Even with the (admittedly great) demo feature I just can't do it.

If you think you're bad at the game then at least you're most likely better than me.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Just a bit let down by how low tier she is but I hope NRS buffs her.
She is really really bad, imo. I feel so powerless with her now i both ranked and unranked that I have begun to think about who I need to start sinking time into now. Frost really clicks with me, which makes me even more bummed.

I'm thinking Raiden may be a good choice. He seems to have lots of good tools and mixups to work with.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Got my first hatemail using Erron lol

Wonderful xD
Got eliminated in only two rounds, but still a great experience! Gonna keep going to events in the future, I had a lot of fun and at least I wasn't the worst person registered. :P Grand finals had an excellent Kano winning over Kollector.

Nuke

Oct 25, 2017
Mirassol, SP, Brazil
So...I have MK11 on Switch. This is the first Mortal Kombat I've played since the truly perfect Mortal Kombat 2 from back in the day. And... OMGWTFBBQ have they done to Mortal Kombat?? It's so bloody complicated now, all these various nuances in moves and uses what seems like EVERY button on the pro controller. Some combos you have to hit super-fast otherwise they don't work.

Also WTF is going on with story mode?? I don't want to watch an interactive movie, I just want to pick a character, fight 7-10 characters and then the boss, like a normal fighting game.

Please tell me that it gets better.

No offense, but you can say the same thing about any series that you played 20 years ago.

"So...I have Mario Odyssey on Switch. This is the first Mario I've played since the truly perfect Super Mario World from back in the day. And... OMGWTFBBQ have they done to Mario?? It's so bloody complicated now".

Have you checked the tutorial? Give the game some time. The Kombat Towers are like half screen away from the story mode and you skipped it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So...I have MK11 on Switch. This is the first Mortal Kombat I've played since the truly perfect Mortal Kombat 2 from back in the day. And... OMGWTFBBQ have they done to Mortal Kombat?? It's so bloody complicated now, all these various nuances in moves and uses what seems like EVERY button on the pro controller. Some combos you have to hit super-fast otherwise they don't work.

Also WTF is going on with story mode?? I don't want to watch an interactive movie, I just want to pick a character, fight 7-10 characters and then the boss, like a normal fighting game.

Please tell me that it gets better.

Not trying to be snarky here, but MK2 was never really all that great of a fighting game in terms of actual gameplay and far from perfect. Fighting games have evolved since then or they wouldn't be around anymore. I'm saying that as someone who enjoyed MK2 as well.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
It's too bad I can't record matches like in Virtua Fighter and replay them with inputs. I see the AI doing combos I want to try to copy, and that would make it much easier.

Shantae

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 15, 2019
2zpqss.jpg
Hey...after looking at games like Doom, Wolfenstein 2, Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, Dragon Ball Fighterz....I'm gonna say yes, the devs are not pushing the hardware in the right ways for MK11. There is not much going in the Krypt visually in ANY department, and it's not like there's crazy combat going on in it either. It runs like shit, it looks like shit, and it's not even gameplay heavy. The fog is as bad as an N64 game. They're not doing something right.

I realize some of the games I listed aren't open world games, but some of them are, and I think if the Switch can handle Skyrim, and still look pretty nice visually...then the Krypt should not look like a PS1/N64 era game.

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
Kotal Kahn is also a contender for worst skins, don't @ me.

His saving grace is that his default is great but all the other options are garbage.

I think the issue is his helmet isn't a customizable option. I actually appreciate the couple variants he has.

But yes, all in all only default, alt default (the one where he uses long pants) and the Young King one look like proper costumes TBH.

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019

His saving grace is that his default is great but all the other options are garbage.
As someone who mains Cassie Cage since MKX, I'm gonna raise you her skins as being the worse for this game. They're all soooooooo boring! There are like 3 variations, spread out among dozens of skins. I keep unlocking stuff for her HOPING one of them speaks to me, but nope. They all are so bland. Why the hell couldn't we get something similar to Endurance outfit from MKX? She's Johnny Cage's daughter, and I felt like that outfit really helped emphasize that. She's supposed to have her mother's military chops, and her father's wisecracking attitude, but all of her outfits scream the military side. It sucks so much.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who mains Cassie Cage since MKX, I'm gonna raise you her skins as being the worse for this game. They're all soooooooo boring! There are like 3 variations, spread out among dozens of skins. I keep unlocking stuff for her HOPING one of them speaks to me, but nope. They all are so bland. Why the hell couldn't we get something similar to Endurance outfit from MKX? She's Johnny Cage's daughter, and I felt like that outfit really helped emphasize that. She's supposed to have her mother's military chops, and her father's wisecracking attitude, but all of her outfits scream the military side. It sucks so much.
I really wish in the upcoming dlc they give her some casual wear that's not shit

And honestly she only has a few soldier shit the rest are some reject mass effect outfits that are both ugly and don't even make sense for her character

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having some trouble reacting to people that spam d3. I try timing my block then doing my d3 into a combo back to them but they always catch me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Whaaaat?! D: This one is super badass:

33918259168_06c5400843_o.png

46878859345_6dc477af37_o.png

It's also super rare and can only be found in the krypt shrine slotmachine, so I did almost cry of happiness when I randomly spotted it in the Premium Shop one day.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Got eliminated in only two rounds, but still a great experience! Gonna keep going to events in the future, I had a lot of fun and at least I wasn't the worst person registered. :P Grand finals had an excellent Kano winning over Kollector.
Having a great experience is what it's all about man, glad you had fun xD that's awesome.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Hate accepting a match with full green connection only to have the match end up a fucking slideshow.

Is it a glitch or a lag switch?

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
Hate accepting a match with full green connection only to have the match end up a fucking slideshow.

Unlike some other online fighters, it seems as though MK11 takes a snapshot of the ping and uses that to determine connection quality. That's going to fluctuate quite a bit, especially if the opponent is on wifi. The problem is that you don't see a live reading at the match-up screen, only the snapshot.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I wish Shao Khan has his taunts as a base move. It's silly such a useless but integral part of the character is a custom move.

Shantae

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
Whaaaat?! D: This one is super badass:

33918259168_06c5400843_o.png

46878859345_6dc477af37_o.png

It's also super rare and can only be found in the krypt shrine slotmachine, so I did almost cry of happiness when I randomly spotted it in the Premium Shop one day.
Is one of the responsibilities of being the leader of Outworld, is to look like and dress like a pro wrestler? lol

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Not trying to be snarky here, but MK2 was never really all that great of a fighting game in terms of actual gameplay and far from perfect. Fighting games have evolved since then or they wouldn't be around anymore. I'm saying that as someone who enjoyed MK2 as well.
MK has been straight up broken until MK9. None of the previous versions are tourney viable.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to iron down my side characters. Pretty sure I'm going to keep maining Cassie, but it is nice to have some other characters you are good enough with when you get together with friends for big play sessions. Good to have a bit of variety for everyone involved.
I spent quite a bit of time with Skarlet, I really wanted to like her. I like her design and the look and theme of all her abilities and stuff. We just didn't click I think though, in terms of her gameplay mechanics.
If I wanted to give another shot at a more defensive keepaway style character I should be looking at Cetrion right?

My friends and I haven't gotten together for our first big real game yet and I've mostly played against the characters that are big online (scorpion, noob), so I'm not actually super confident what all these characters do at a meaningful level.
I like Cassie, being honest, first and formost because I like the actual character and wanted to play the character I liked personality of. But I also like her gameplay how she has a good solid ranged game with her low projectile and air projectile, but also is pretty good at the neutral with safe on block combos that can be meter burned into much bigger damage if you have confirmed a hit. Who else best fills that kind of roll. I was looking at possibly picking up Frost or Kitana?

Edit: actually in general, is there a good list of character summaries that are along the lines of "Charater might appeal to you if you like this style of play" and such like that?

Last edited:

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Who else best fills that kind of roll. I was looking at possibly picking up Frost or Kitana?

I'd say Liu Kang. High projectile, air projectile, low projectile. F4 is -7 on block. You can stagger it since you can do f43, this hit confirms so it can be cancelled into a bicycle kick, which eventually leads to a KB. He is also super easy to learn. Possibly, the best beginner character. You could knock out his basics in a day. Even if you don't like the character you should still take him into the lab...he is THAT easy imo.

Last edited:

Khaos Prime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sigh. Was playing Klassic Towers and got booted to the menu in a middle of a fight because of a server issue. Complete bullshit that you can get kicked out of an offline single player mode due to some online shit.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Unlike some other online fighters, it seems as though MK11 takes a snapshot of the ping and uses that to determine connection quality. That's going to fluctuate quite a bit, especially if the opponent is on wifi. The problem is that you don't see a live reading at the match-up screen, only the snapshot.

I'm pretty sure you can display ping numbers and view them in matches in real time.

Nobody should ever use bars to figure out the connection quality

The Watcher

Oct 29, 2017
Just started playing the game after having it delivered yesterday...

...I can't even pull off the first 'Basic Kombo'. Even with the (admittedly great) demo feature I just can't do it.

If you think you're bad at the game then at least you're most likely better than me.
I had issues with this as well, but you have to remember that this is an NRS game so a lot of the moves are dial a combos. Try inputting the button sequences as fast as possible or "piano" the buttons, committing to them. The moves should come out accordingly. Also, if you're very precise with your button inputs, turn off negative edge. Hope this helps.