• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
I'm finally about to get this game. Looking forward to it. Any tips for a noob? I'm not generally very good at these games, but hey, free wins for yinz

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm finally about to get this game. Looking forward to it. Any tips for a noob? I'm not generally very good at these games, but hey, free wins for yinz
Might I suggest starting with this Noob and spamming teleports? :P
Mortal-Kombat-11-Noob-Saibot-Reveal-Header.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
First, play through the story and some towers to see which character you connect with. It's a broken record at this point, but you can basically ignore tier lists in MK11 because characters range from great to very great. Heh.

Once you're ready for one on one fights:
- star with casual, or if you're going to do Kombat League, wait a week for the high level players to rank up so you aren't matched against them.

Strategically, the thing that really changed for me was once I dropped the mindset of just learning flashy combos and started learning some basics:
- find a combo that starts with a high attack, ideally that can do 20%+;
- find a combo that starts with a low attack, ideally that can do 20%+;
- get comfortable mixing these combos + throws up, so your opponent isn't just blocking and punishing you;
- if your opponent isn't good at wake-up game, you can just cycle through these attack types once you knock them down until they adapt - a lot of players can do fancy combos, but once they are down, they panic;
- likewise, you are going to get knocked down - learn the wake up options - roll forward, roll back, wake-up attack, delayed wake-up, and mix those up depending on the situation;
- don't get frustrated. If you worry about winning, instead of learning, you'll have a miserable time.

Have fun!

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Might I suggest starting with this Noob and spamming teleports? :P
Mortal-Kombat-11-Noob-Saibot-Reveal-Header.jpg

ha I did like Noob in the older ones. I definitely plan on trying them out at least

First, play through the story and some towers to see which character you connect with. It's a broken record at this point, but you can basically ignore tier lists in MK11 because characters range from great to very great. Heh.

Once you're ready for one on one fights:
- star with casual, or if you're going to do Kombat League, wait a week for the high level players to rank up so you aren't matched against them.

Strategically, the thing that really changed for me was once I dropped the mindset of just learning flashy combos and started learning some basics:
- find a combo that starts with a high attack, ideally that can do 20%+;
- find a combo that starts with a low attack, ideally that can do 20%+;
- get comfortable mixing these combos + throws up, so your opponent isn't just blocking and punishing you;
- if your opponent isn't good at wake-up game, you can just cycle through these attack types once you knock them down until they adapt - a lot of players can do fancy combos, but once they are down, they panic;
- likewise, you are going to get knocked down - learn the wake up options - roll forward, roll back, wake-up attack, delayed wake-up, and mix those up depending on the situation;
- don't get frustrated. If you worry about winning, instead of learning, you'll have a miserable time.

Have fun!

Thanks for the tips! very helpful!

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
ha I did like Noob in the older ones. I definitely plan on trying them out at least

Thanks for the tips! very helpful!
Legit serious advice... Go to the tutorials and training section. They have basic introductions to every single character, and completing them also instantly unlocks a 2nd costumes for them as well. It's pretty thorough too and a great way to get a feel for certain moves and characters.

After that, yeah, do Story Mode for the entertainment factor, and I'd suggest doing some of the Towers (I focused on villains that weren't playable in the story to get a feel for them as well, and it unlocks their endings).

After that... do whatever. You'll have a good feel for many characters at this point, whether it's the towers (good luck with the Gauntlet and DEFINITELY don't be afraid to use items to get through it), the Krypt (it's THE way to get a ton of unlockables), online casual and ranked, or even daily challengers or the character specific Towers.

HulkMansfield

Dec 29, 2017
Legit serious advice... Go to the tutorials and training section. They have basic introductions to every single character, and completing them also instantly unlocks a 2nd costumes for them as well. It's pretty thorough too and a great way to get a feel for certain moves and characters.

After that, yeah, do Story Mode for the entertainment factor, and I'd suggest doing some of the Towers (I focused on villains that weren't playable in the story to get a feel for them as well, and it unlocks their endings).

After that... do whatever. You'll have a good feel for many characters at this point, whether it's the towers (good luck with the Gauntlet and DEFINITELY don't be afraid to use items to get through it), the Krypt (it's THE way to get a ton of unlockables), online casual and ranked, or even daily challengers or the character specific Towers.

This is great advice. The extra costumes for tutorials sounds like a nice little incentive to get better. I'll definitely be doing the story first for fun, so that'll be a good start.

The second Towers of Time stop being fun for you, have your AI start knocking them out. You get the rewards either way.

I definitely will then. I didn't know that was a thing. Sounds a like mobile gacha mechanics

Nuke

Oct 25, 2017
Mirassol, SP, Brazil
The gauntlet was almost impossible at launch, after the next patch it turned out very hard but still possible, now it's normal.

So, my Sindel stats:
Glitz & Glam 28/30
Boots 28/30
Kwan Daos 28/30

Skins 37/40
Finishers 18/21

Did I missed any tower?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a reason to spend time krystals. Hope people didn't waste all theirs on all the stuff you could just get from character towers.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I hope they bring Kano's bonus outfit back soon. They took it down off the store early because there was a glitch where people would buy it and it still not unlock.

Oct 25, 2017
Before you buy a bundle you need to know that there are actually 2 sets. One is the klassic costumes with 2 different colors and another bundle with just the solid red, green and blue colors from MK2. Real scummy move from NRS to do it like as separate bundles when they've been doing costume packs all this time.

ia8wj74z5i541.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Before you buy a bundle you need to know that there are actually 2 sets. One is the klassic costumes with 2 different colors and another bundle with just the solid red, green and blue colors from MK2. Real scummy move from NRS to do it like as separate bundles when they've been doing costume packs all this time.

ia8wj74z5i541.jpg
This does kind of stink. I would way rather the solid colour for Skarlet. Ahh well.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Also check out this thread on Reddit with someone saying a bundle will be sold later in the regular store for $4.

Could be bs from a fake insider, but interesting...
This doesn't make much sense. Why would they make these skins available separately and then sell them as pack one month later? What if someone gets Skarlet and Jade skins only for example? They would have to buy the whole pack for Kitana only. Also all skin packs released so far are 6$, why would these be 4$?
MK3 klassic skins for male and female ninjas also sounds unlikely.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't make much sense. Why would they make these skins available separately and then sell them as pack one month later? What if someone gets Skarlet and Jade skins only for example? They would have to buy the whole pack for Kitana only. Also all skin packs released so far are 6$, why would these be 4$?
MK3 klassic skins for male and female ninjas also sounds unlikely.

Oh, yeah they were $5.99. I forgot. I do wonder if these and the regional ones might end up as regular store DLC down the line, but I could see it either way. They give out krystals pretty liberally now, but if you don't have any, the cost is pretty absurd. People who had to buy them with krystals would be super pissed if they sold them later. We'll see. Personally, I don't like account-based DLC because it limits use on your system so I'm OK with an option to buy through the store.

It's fine if they offer both, but not being transparent about how they're selling these later if that's the plan would be bad.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
When does the krystal store update? It is 9:30AM right now for me on the East coast and I would need to reinstall the game just to get into the store to try and buy the costume before an update. Not sure if I'll bother.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
That's an awesome skin. Do we need to buy that with real money or we need Krystals for it? I may not have enough.

Oct 25, 2017
That's an awesome skin. Do we need to buy that with real money or we need Krystals for it? I may not have enough.

Krystals. If you have the other things in the bundle it'll be 910. There's also a solid color bundle coming next for Jade that is just all green with a green mask. If you wanted this one though you have to wait for the next rotation. Today is the Kitana mixed color skin.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
It costed around 1200 crystals for me because i didn't had the staff from the bundle. I hope that for recolors gear will be the same.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For the story mode, do you get anything special by going back and choosing the other character for segments that have two fighters? Or, is it just for completionist sake?