• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Does anyone know how Kano players, Ripper variation, do a string into the command throw? It destroys me, goes through block, but I am in practice mode and I can't figure out how they are doing it.

Are you just not able to get the inputs out quickly enough? For what it's worth, those type of cammand throws are easier if you think of them as 2 inputs - down, back and then forward, punch. Once I got good at that I was able to combo into the grab with Jax much better. Can't speak for Kano specifically.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
doing. ="BurnKnuckle21, post: 30417671, member: 33589"]
Are you just not able to get the inputs out quickly enough? For what it's worth, those type of cammand throws are easier if you think of them as 2 inputs - down, back and then forward, punch. Once I got good at that I was able to combo into the grab with Jax much better. Can't speak for Kano specifically.
[/QUOTE]

It looks like I am linking it, 2, 2 d b f 2, but the grab never connects. I was trying to figure out a defense, but I can't figure out what they are even doing.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
doing. ="BurnKnuckle21, post: 30417671, member: 33589"]

It looks like I am linking it, 2, 2 d b f 2, but the grab never connects. I was trying to figure out a defense, but I can't figure out what they are even doing.
[/QUOTE]

If you block 2, 2 and cancel into the command throw, it will whiff, far as I can tell. You are still in block stun.

I assume they are doing 2, 2. Wait a tad, do command throw, which will catch you.

Unless Kano has other strings that end with the other person coming right out of block stun when the command grab comes out, if it actually cancels off the last hit of the string.

If you block 1,1 canceled into the command throw, you will get scooped.

Last edited:

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!

If you block 2, 2 and cancel into the command throw, it will whiff, far as I can tell. You are still in block stun.

I assume they are doing 2, 2. Wait a tad, do command throw, which will catch you.

Unless Kano has other strings that end with the other person coming right out of block stun when the command grab comes out, if it actually cancels off the last hit of the string.

If you block 1,1 canceled into the command throw, you will get scooped.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm, maybe that's what's catching me. The animation didn't look like what I remembered, but once shit hits the fan I start panicking against Kanos. I will give that a shot.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Made demi god for the first time. Still getting salty of course but enjoying the game more.

Learning to punish with combos instead of weak panic strings and using more fluid conversions has upped my game a ton

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Who are you folks using these days? I'm rotating between Ascension Kotal, Dirtbag Kano, and Avalanche Sub-Z (this one in particular is very recent). I miss having Kenshi, though, wish he would make a return.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I mainly just play Kotal Kahn. For the most part I enjoy him but I am looking for a new character. Gets frustrating fighting characters like Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage. I feel like everything I have is too slow. I'm sure a lot of that is me though. Also, Kotal's discus sucks, minus crushing blow

I know that I need to get better at dealing with but man, playing someone who just runs backwards and throws projectiles is the most boring, awful type of game that isn't a laggy mess. Patience would solve the issue but even when I win, I hate it.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I mainly just play Kotal Kahn. For the most part I enjoy him but I am looking for a new character. Gets frustrating fighting characters like Sonya Blade and Johnny Cage. I feel like everything I have is too slow. I'm sure a lot of that is me though. Also, Kotal's discus sucks, minus crushing blow

I know that I need to get better at dealing with but man, playing someone who just runs backwards and throws projectiles is the most boring, awful type of game that isn't a laggy mess. Patience would solve the issue but even when I win, I hate it.
I find it fun to get in on characters with good projectiles. I love the patient, slow burn. If you're having issues with zoning, use Kotal's wave dash, as its one of the best in the game.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

I have the worst time against him. Whatever that super fast advancing string he has destroys me. I've just been too lazy to lab it.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I find it fun to get in on characters with good projectiles. I love the patient, slow burn. If you're having issues with zoning, use Kotal's wave dash, as its one of the best in the game.
Yeah, I am kind of bad at it. I should practice it more. For the most part, I can get away with Kotal's ridiculous walk speed and ducking as well but the patience part is the issue.
I have the worst time against him. Whatever that super fast advancing string he has destroys me. I've just been too lazy to lab it.
Are you talking about the move that's cancelable with two sword attacks that can hit from about nearly full screen? Its a great tool as long they're not throwing out projectiles. 19f startup and -7 on block so pretty safe. You can also add a third hit in the string to make it a low.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
My last round this KL! 53rd match, got to Master rank and got all the seasonal challenges done to get the Raiden skin. Not a bad place to call it a day.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
What's the deal with people dinking around the character select screen for over a minute? Picking a character and then backing out. Then doing it again after they lose a match. Do they think I am trembling wondering what character they are going to pick? They trying to annoy me into leaving so they get the win?(it's almost worked a few times)

Just play the damn game.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
What's the deal with people dinking around the character select screen for over a minute? Picking a character and then backing out. Then doing it again after they lose a match. Do they think I am trembling wondering what character they are going to pick? They trying to annoy me into leaving so they get the win?(it's almost worked a few times)

Just play the damn game.
Lol, that's a new one. The weirdest thing I've seen on the character select screen is a person who after like 7 seconds activated hidden cursor and then picked their character.

Which would be fine and all if it wasn't for the fact that i literally instapicked Cassie and my variation of choice so it was just them doing a hidden cursor when there's no chance of counter picking.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
It happens ALL the time for me. And I don't care if they counter pick me, I usually go straight over and pick kung lao. Counter pick me all you like, I probably need the practice.

Edit: I had a guy do that and eventually pick joker. Then when he lost the first match went back to the character select and did it again only to end up on the same joker variation.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Don't worry if you run into me, my player card just says Kotal Kahn with a chibi kotal....i'll pick kotal and we can go.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Anyone interested in a krossplay room being set up in about an hour or so? If 3 or 4 people can join it would be worth it.

I hope it's possible to set such a thing up, never tried it before.

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
My last round this KL! 53rd match, got to Master rank and got all the seasonal challenges done to get the Raiden skin. Not a bad place to call it a day.

Great comeback, gave that scorp what he deserved... I hate scorpions :(

I'll echo what others have said, the character select shenanigans in KL are silly. I'm down for a krossplay room, no idea how they work though lol

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Great comeback, gave that scorp what he deserved... I hate scorpions :(

I'll echo what others have said, the character select shenanigans in KL are silly. I'm down for a krossplay room, no idea how they work though lol
Scorpions can be annoying but honestly, It's Erron Black that really tilts me right off the bat lol. No other character in any other fighting game can tilt me quite like that character can.

Oct 25, 2017
You'll have to elaborate. What system are you on? Did you download the actual costume packs and not just the Season Pass? Did you look in the customize menu for the given character?

Xbox. I downloaded the Kombat Pack which said it had a bunch of skins in it. I went into the customization menu but I don't see the skins. I don't see an option to download them separately anywhere in the store.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Xbox. I downloaded the Kombat Pack which said it had a bunch of skins in it. I went into the customization menu but I don't see the skins. I don't see an option to download them separately anywhere in the store.
You don't see anything like this?

Buy Masquerade Skin Pack | Xbox

The Masquerade Skin Pack includes three new character skins, just in time for Halloween. Play as Wicked Witch Jade, Psyko Killer Kabal and Calavera Liu Kang.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Shit, take a quick break from work to get a few games in and the shitty wifi subzeros are out in force for me... I already hate dealing with that character. Bring on the scorpions instead please.

Also, why does every Digital Soldier Cassie cage just mean a game of walking towards low gunshot.....

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
What sounds like an 11 year old just dumpstered me....fuck... He then just kept calling me a trashcan and a bot.

now someone just hidden cursored me to pick Scorpion? WTF?

Last edited:

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
Oh kombat league... hate when you adapt to someone and even it up 1-1 then they switch to another character and do the most random shit lol

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Who are you folks using these days? I'm rotating between Ascension Kotal, Dirtbag Kano, and Avalanche Sub-Z (this one in particular is very recent). I miss having Kenshi, though, wish he would make a return.
My main and best DLC so far:

dCh8WRA.jpg

Also Skarlet and D'Vorah. I am using Jade sometimes too.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I should really spend some time looking at Kung Laos strings and practice punishing his teleport. But this character is worst for me than almost anything other laggy sub-zeros. I think i'm like 1/10 vs kung laos.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I should really spend some time looking at Kung Laos strings and practice punishing his teleport. But this character is worst for me than almost anything other laggy sub-zeros. I think i'm like 1/10 vs kung laos.

I am a kung lao main:

A lot of people just mash uppercut when he teleports which will catch him, but he has a meter burn where he can delay coming out of the ground. The thing I see people do that will catch me 100% of the time is mash crouch punch. It's crappy damage, but gets him out of his teleport.

The teleport has no tracking, he will appear where you were when he started it, so a jump away will make it miss(Unlike that cheap bastard Noob, who's teleport tracks you and can grab you out of the air AND combo off of it). This is how I deal with teleports because I can use Lao's dive kick to punish.

Most of his strings are punishable, some horribly so. He has no strings with overheads.

If you are on Xbox I am happy to go a few rounds with you if you want practice. I always lose to Kotals, and I need the practice as well.

Last edited:

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I am a kung lao main:

A lot of people just mash uppercut when he teleports which will catch him, but he has a meter burn where he can delay coming out of the ground. The thing I see people do that will catch me 100% of the time is mash crouch punch. It's crappy damage, but gets him out of his teleport.

The teleport has no tracking, he will appear where you were when he started it, so a jump away will make it miss(Unlike that cheap bastard Noob, who's teleport tracks you and can grab you out of the air AND combo off of it). This is how I deal with teleports because I can use Lao's dive kick to punish.

Most of his strings are punishable, some horribly so. He has no strings with overheads.

If you are on Xbox I am happy to go a few rounds with you if you want practice. I always lose to Kotals, and I need the practice as well.
I have PC and PS4. We could try and set up a cross-play lobby at some point. I haven't messed around with those yet so not sure how well they work. Also, I'm not very good. So I'm not sure how much I'll be able to help.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Thinking of getting this since it's on sale. Only NRS games I've played were the Injustice ones. I have been playing DBFZ (I'm shit at it but enjoy it still).
How is this game for newcomers to the series (but not the genre)? Is the community still pretty active?

fadedbones

Oct 25, 2017
AH Perfect comback against Liu Kang!

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Aj4MX61F9xe1jLJIpm4nAM0890L-GA (Link goes to my onedrive, you should be able to view it.)

Oh my goodness. "Respect me." Way to stick it to him!
Thinking of getting this since it's on sale. Only NRS games I've played were the Injustice ones. I have been playing DBFZ (I'm shit at it but enjoy it still).
How is this game for newcomers to the series (but not the genre)? Is the community still pretty active?

It has a fantastic tutorial that introduces you to the quirks of the NRS games, if you're familiar with other fighting games you can get into things within a reasonable time. I can only speak for PS4, community is still going strong.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!

Community is pretty active on Xbox, not to mention crossplay with PS4, I haven't struggled to find a game yet. People can be...grating. I get a lot of hate messages and teabagging is EVERYWHERE.

The last MK game I played was MK9 and pretty much only the story mode. Before that I suppose I played MK3 on the Genesis. I am mostly a Virtua Fighter/Street Fighter player. It wasn't hard getting into this game. There is a good tutorial, and from what I understand they changed a LOT from MKX. Gameplay is not perfect. There's a lot to complain about, there's a lot of questionable choices in the design, and when you lose it can be the most frustrating thing in the world. There's something about it though that I can't stop coming back to. Single player modes are great.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Oh my goodness. "Respect me." Way to stick it to him!

It has a fantastic tutorial that introduces you to the quirks of the NRS games, if you're familiar with other fighting games you can get into things within a reasonable time. I can only speak for PS4, community is still going strong.
Sweet, I'm gonna download it now. I still remember playing this as a kid on my aunt's Megadrive and writing the fatality button combinations down.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
sometimes the non-unique character interactions are funny too lol, like when Cassie says "What a noob" and... you're actually fighting Noob Saibot lol.