• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The most suspicious thing to me are the unblockable hazards, since those are in no way a fun or interesting mechanic in any genre or context. I would actually hope that a mode that promises near endless replay value keeps gradually ramping up the challenge level in fair and enjoyable ways.

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
So what you're telling me is that Netherrealm realized that actually running through these towers for unlocks/rewards was so boring that they give you the option to not play them and have AI grind them out for you? Doesn't that make the entire situation worse?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird that they say they didn't design the game for monetization, and the stuff you can buy now wouldn't really help with the grind, but the game still utilizes basically every monetization tactic to a ludicrous degree.
  • Multiple currencies to keep track of.
  • A "premium" currency, available via real money transactions.
  • A "main" currency that you get like water.
  • Randomization of rewards.
  • Limited-time specific purchases.
  • Daily limited tasks.
  • A massive influx of useless guff (ie, variation icons) to pad out the randomization.
Like, take out the randomization or the "opportunity" to collect hundreds of pointless little icons, and I'd figure it'd be a bit more fun.

I'm not going to yell at the messngers on this one, but yeah. I'll believe what I see in practice.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the rewards that pop up during story mode that look like the keyart from the cover?

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Did the scheduled Kombat Kast take place yet?If so I can't find it on their YT channel, what did they say? Is there a date for the patch yet?

Blaackstarr

Oct 30, 2017
Did the scheduled Kombat Kast take place yet?If so I can't find it on their YT channel, what did they say? Is there a date for the patch yet?
A hot fix went out last night that made the towers a lot easier. The most health a boss can have is 1500 now compared to 4000 originally. The off screen projectiles come out once every 10 secs. There will be a real patch late this week or early next week to make all of the projectiles blockable. This patch will also increase the rewards you get. And they will be giving everyone a bunch of free currency as an apology.

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
Hi guys I need help,

I bought MK 11 premium edition just now but I noticed shao khan was locked behind 6$. is it a bug on my end or does the premium edition not include everything.

I really hope that it's a bug that some bullshit 99$ for a edition that doesn't include everything

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hi guys I need help,

I bought MK 11 premium edition just now but I noticed shao khan was locked behind 6$. is it a bug on my end or does the premium edition not include everything.

I really hope that it's a bug that some bullshit 99$ for a edition that doesn't include everything
He was a pre-order bonus. Not part of the KP.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Hi guys I need help,

Shao Khan was a preorder bonus, and not included in the pass, I believe. Did you preorder it?

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
Hmmm, Im kind of salty that I can't have kung lao's real skin complexion with his netherrealm armor.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but he is obviously an outlier. For the rest of us, it'll happen accidentally once every blue moon.

I can't speak for everyone else in this thread so I dunno what they're capable of. Maybe they can. Maybe they can't. Maybe some are lurking. I just imagine people like that take the time to practice their craft and understand the in's and outs vs people who actually just spam hits and blocks. Maybe the distance the between the two is a lot bigger than I think.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Hi guys I need help,

Shao Kahn was preorder bonus only. He is not included in the Premium Edition if you didn't preorder.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
So what you're telling me is that Netherrealm realized that actually running through these towers for unlocks/rewards was so boring that they give you the option to not play them and have AI grind them out for you? Doesn't that make the entire situation worse?

That says to me that WB told them at the start of development to put in a grind for microtransactions, and Netherrealm said okay because they have to do what WB tells them to do and put in a grind, but also put in a way for people to not have to do the grind and still be able to get the rewards. An accessibility option.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
No one will ever do a flawless block on purpose in the middle of a match. It's just never going to happen.

It 100% should happen for frame traps and strings with gaps. The issue is that frame traps and flawless blocks both feel like they need to be frame perfect, if there was more of a buffer window for frame traps things would be easier.

It's really weird that they say they didn't design the game for monetization, and the stuff you can buy now wouldn't really help with the grind, but the game still utilizes basically every monetization tactic to a ludicrous degree.
  • Daily limited tasks.
  • A massive influx of useless guff (ie, variation icons) to pad out the randomization.
Like, take out the randomization or the "opportunity" to collect hundreds of pointless little icons, and I'd figure it'd be a bit more fun.

The lengths they're going to try and justify their lootboxes as not being lootboxes (I'm guessing for places like Belgium) is fucking pathetic. You don't get to call the chest randomisation "A unique player experience" it's blatantly to encourage people to buy time crystals from the store to get the things they actually want.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Yo this Story Mode is epic as fuck (up to Chp. 5)

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
What were they thinking casting Ronda Rousey as Sonya? I'm enjoying the story mode so far but every scene she's in is terrible, her performance sounds so wooden.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Do you get some base brutalities from the start? I can't get Noob's throw brutality to trigger but doesn't seem locked.

Noob is a fucking blast regardless though.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
how do i get the dragon amulet in the krypt?
I think I just got that.

It's in the room that you unlock with Raiden's staff. It's in one of the chests, it costs 20,000 koins, if I remember correctly. It's to the far left of the room when you first enter and go up the stairs.

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
So some levels from the first game are small areas in the Krypt.......i wonder if they'd add them as stages to select in the main game!??

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit that Kombat Kast. EVERYTHING IS OK! Reading a press release live on stream, stammering through stuff quickly, straight up lying haha its gonna get picked apart and create alot of content.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to access your found alchemy recipes from the pause menu in the Krypt sucks. I think I'll just look them up online.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
  • Daily limited tasks.

I mean, wouldn't they make more money if you could buy what you wanted at any time though ?

Hell I would have fucking bought my intros and stuff you know.

The fact you can't does kinda line up with what they said.

They just horribly executed it to the point where it's 0 fun.

I don't believe there's anything wrong with having to work for your cosmetics as it's the alternative to just paying for them, but they tuned it up far too much.
Also it should be clearer how to get what you want, and it should reward you better for doing arcade, towers etc...

I think there was clearly some predatory design involved but they also clearly did not test this through, clearly the meat of the game was everything else and they nailed that so they probably thought they'd figure it out after launch.

Like literally NOBODY is having fun with this so that can't be the intention.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
What a weird way to reference Bob Dylan.

Any timeline for when the "we're sorry" rewards are given out?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Like I'm just now approaching the mindset of understanding why I couldn't block immediately after throwing that roundhouse kick because that frame data tutorial.

I always thought the game wasn't registering my buttons in the past years when shit like that happens. It's so much to grasp lol.

This is kinda mind blowing to me. Not the idea, but that people didn't actually understand recovery exists in fighting games? Kinda puts people bitching about the controls in these games in a whole new light.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
So been playing a bit, it's a lot easier in the towers AND you get koins for every combo you do now ?

That's good right ?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Kombat Kast and these guys are stammering through the apology and coming across a bit well...hard to take as genuine?

I suppose it's good the hotfix last night lowered some boss hp and reduced the off-screen unblockable garbage frequency. But the way they were trying to sell their decisions and the choices as their vision just didn't come across great. Made it really feel like they got caught red-handed.

Anyone that watches take notice how often they cut each other off mid-sentence as one is stumbling through an apology or trying to justify why konsumables are "awesome!" in the most painful pitch, to quickly tag in and remind the audience how happy they are we are playing. It was something.

Still, i didn't get a sense the krypt grind is changing. The tower battles might feel a bit better with the upcoming patch to allow blocking. The freebie reward cache(500k coins, 1k time crystals) is ok, but not really that much considering the scope of the Krypt. Unless the values are reduced inside.

Still feeling less confident about this game than before watching. But I guess they could have remained silent, did nothing, and waited for the public to shift focus to the next big release. I just, I'm finding it hard to feel motivated to even bother keeping the game after wrapping the story. Like it's too tainted and I can't be bothered to see how slowly they put on a band-aid to keep my attention.