• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Hey friends! Been messing around with MKX on gamepass and now I'm dead set on picking up MK11. I want to see where the story goes but I'm also thinking of playing kompetitively abit and actually trying to learn the game unlike I did with MKX.

Who are the best beginner characters(either in game plan or in execution)? I'm not great at most 2D games but kinda semi decent as far as Tekken, Soul calibur(3D fighters) go.

Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Baraka are probably the best beginner characters, and they're all very effective characters in competitive play.

In particular, I recommend Baraka. He has no gimmicks, and is just pure fundamentals--good walk speed, good projectile, simple combos that deal big damage, and great normals.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Baraka are probably the best beginner characters, and they're all very effective characters in competitive play.

In particular, I recommend Baraka. He has no gimmicks, and is just pure fundamentals--good walk speed, good projectile, simple combos that deal big damage, and great normals.
Hmmm no gimmicks does sound like a good way to start. Hopefully theres an outfit to cover those tarkatan teeth💀. Thanks!

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017

I cannot recommend Baraka enough. Even though I am comfortable enough with 6 characters to the point where I can take them to Kombat League I keep coming back to Baraka. He's just so good. Solid, no major flaws. Big boy damage.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Baraka's great. You just gotta be patient when you advance against zoning+runaway characters.

It can be tough to get in because he does not have any advancing strings like Geras, Jax, Sonya, Cassie, Jacqui, etc. However his projectile is probably the 3rd or 4th best in the game so you can check zoners effectively. His F2 blade swipe extends pretty far. F4 and B2 cover distance but B2 can be punished easily.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Dude, that is an amazing record. You shouldn't have any problem reaching Demigod. By the time I reached it myself my record was like 130/125.
Damn, that record is really good. Only after my 7 game win streak the other day have I been able to stay above a 50% win record. I think I'm sitting at 54/49 right now. You should have no problem getting to Demigod. I'm slowly trudging my way up there myself.
Thanks for the encouragement, I can probably reach Demigod if I grind it for a few more sessions, but I really think I am done with this mode till next season, it can get surprisingly draining since everyone is like super tryhard haha

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Thanks for the encouragement, I can probably reach Demigod if I grind it for a few more sessions, but I really think I am done with this mode till next season, it can get surprisingly draining since everyone is like super tryhard haha
Yeah, you certainly need to bring your A game but you seem to be it killing it so far. I won't fault you for stopping where you are though. It can be rough sometimes.

I had a match yesterday with a guy who had his mic on and he was getting pissed that I was blocking most of his strings. He started saying, "Since you're doing nothing but blocking, I'm just gonna start throwing you constatly, just letting you know right now. I'm gonna throw every time you block, bitch. Blocking does nothing for you. It does nothing for you. The tutorial even says it does nothing for you. Quit blocking."

I beat him 2-0. I guess blocking does something. Who would've thought.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I had a match yesterday with a guy who had his mic on and he was getting pissed that I was blocking most of his strings. He started saying, "Since you're doing nothing but blocking, I'm just gonna start throwing you constatly, just letting you know right now. I'm gonna throw every time you block, bitch. Blocking does nothing for you. It does nothing for you. The tutorial even says it does nothing for you. Quit blocking."

I don't get people.

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
erron has fast full screen high low 50/50 with drop kick and slide. that shit is cheap.

Scorpion being able to convert to full combo/damage off of anything will tele is fuckin cheap

From a casual standpoint you are correct. But some casual players even think blocking is cheap, so their opinion doesn't really matter here.

From a competitive standpoint, neither character is considered cheap. In fact, you didn't see either character in top 8 at CEO, and the same could easily happen at Evo. Casual players just don't want to put in the work to figure out counter strategies.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Went from 1/11 to 9/14, I'm so relieved I'm not THAT bad.
Don't even sweat it. That's a rough start but it's great that you stayed with it. I started off similarly myself. I brought my almost brand new Jacqui into ranked and only now, about 100 matches later, do I have a winning record.
Seriously. I beat him because he almost never blocked. Once he figured out that he couldn't escape my oki pressure, he started blocking on wakeup but then I just started to throw him, lol. I guess he thought blocking was lame. It's kombat league. I'm going to use every resource available to me to win.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
From a casual standpoint you are correct. But some casual players even think blocking is cheap, so their opinion doesn't really matter here.

From a competitive standpoint, neither character is considered cheap. In fact, you didn't see either character in top 8 at CEO, and the same could easily happen at Evo. Casual players just don't want to put in the work to figure out counter strategies.

I think too much weight is put on the top results of ultra-high level of competition when looking at issues with certain characters.
Top 8s at tourneys is a microscopic fraction of the userbase and I think that's mostly irrelevant to balancing a character for the vast majority of the userbase where a huge chunk is online play.

Casual player opinion matters, and their feedback is just as important for the health of the game as the pro players. I'd argue more so. Of course there will always be absurd takes, but most developers will filter those out.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped at Demi-God, the rage quits were getting ridiculous. Bummed me out.

So I'm messing with Cetrion in kasual and having fun learning.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I think too much weight is put on the top results of ultra-high level of competition when looking at issues with certain characters.
Top 8s at tourneys is a microscopic fraction of the userbase and I think that's mostly irrelevant to balancing a character for the vast majority of the userbase where a huge chunk is online play.

Casual player opinion matters, and their feedback is just as important for the health of the game as the pro players. I'd argue more so. Of course there will always be absurd takes, but most developers will filter those out.
Exactly.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of debate about balancing. When it comes down to it, though, it's true that fighting games are not just made for the high level tournament players. Most of the playerbase are not that, and mainly play online at various levels. The brunt of them are still very low level players who wouldn't even bother going to Training mode to practice answers against abusable things opponents can do, though.

But "balance" probably also entails removing things that many of the playerbase do not find fun and constantly complain about, while making sure that the character's strength remains at a level that the devs. want it to be at. The purpose of MK11, as a video game, is still to be fun for the customers. And they'd want to accomodate this, so that people keep playing.

There are a lot of factors at play.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Scorpion and Sub-Zero as far as i know while being the most popular or recognizable MK characters were never used a lot by Pro players. I am not following MK Pro scene as much as i should maybe but i am pretty sure that Scorpion was never popular among the Pro players. Probably because he is the most or one of the most used characters overall. He is just always... there. When you say Scorpion, you know what you can expect and what you are getting.

And i agree that games should NOT be balanced based on the Pro scene ONLY. That's just... wrong on so many levels.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY FUCK FINALLY! Got to Grand Master! What a brutal night, loss after loss. Massive lag spikes, couldn't punish a bunch of stupid bullshit. Dunno if I'm gonna bother going higher than this.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
HOLY FUCK FINALLY! Got to Grand Master! What a brutal night, loss after loss. Massive lag spikes, couldn't punish a bunch of stupid bullshit. Dunno if I'm gonna bother going higher than this.

Congrats man. I reached it recently as well and noticed there's a larger gap to reach demigod. Higher stakes now and it seems like it's gonna be a longer grind to reach it.

Gonna keep pushing though, just since ranks my main form of play.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Skarlet should definitely be able to combo 1,2,4 off of Blood Siphon. A d,1from her is not threatening and some like Erron Black can low profile it with d,3. It's more of a punishment to use this move on hit rather than rewarding a character with weak close up buttons. Leave the Amp version as is.

I would trade Skarlet's 4,4 +6 OB high for a medium negative frame move. Again weak close up normals and her fastest medium is 13 frames.

Buff teleports i general so It can beat projectiles on reaction rather than reading. Raiden's teleport recover is 29 frames versus 40 frames on Skarlet. And by teleports, I mean not Scorpion who can just do it on reaction and get a punish.

You could say "But she's a zoner", so is Shang Tsung

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I'll agree with some of that. Can't speak much to Blood Siphon since I'm mainly using Heart Pierce.

But her D1 is just shit and her teleport might as well be in slow motion.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So stupid, lets me decline 3 matches in a row with people at yellow ping, then it matches me up with someone a lower rank in green ping, I can't decline and if I lose (which I did), I rank down.

wtf.

edit: also fuck wifi players.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
Bruh, I had someone in the corner on the ground that was starting to get up so I inputted a follow-up attack. And the game rolled back to them still being on the ground with delayed wake-up. The game is cheating. lol

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
This is the worst game to have double-dipped on, but I surprisingly made it to Demi God on both Xbox and PS4.

I just wanted the Skarlet skin on both but by playing the daily matches for the time krystals I got close enough to give it a run and got in with my barely over .500 records.

I don't know if it's the timed nature of this or exclusive skins, but this mode stresses me out more than any other fighter. I don't even care for Erron Black but climbing that last rank was so stressful. I dunno if I can do this every season.

Now for the love of god NRS fix the shrine so I can get that maskless Skarlet or put more stuff up on the store. I got hundreds of hours sunk, like 90% of all the Krypt gear and 10k krystals and the only thing I want is that mask.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait for the third tournament variation and see if they change any current variations.

For instance, I can easily see them taking jacquis cancels out of 1st round ko and putting it in a variation with less damage potential.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Block, dash forward, block, Shadow Kick? idk
No, this is what gets people killed often when I'm just spamming boulders as Cetrion, thinking whether they're going to adapt or not (they don't and then just die).

Flawless blocking is important for predictable projectiles to negate the pushback (and chip damage). Walk > crouch is important for high projectiles to make an advance. Well timed jumps against certain projectiles (like Cetrion's boulder) are important, too. With those universal options, that's how you deal with these scenarios if you don't have a teleport or something like Jade's projectile negation thing.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, this is what gets people killed often when I'm just spamming boulders as Cetrion, thinking whether they're going to adapt or not (they don't and then just die).

Flawless blocking is important for predictable projectiles to negate the pushback (and chip damage). Walk > crouch is important for high projectiles to make an advance. Well timed jumps against certain projectiles (like Cetrion's boulder) are important, too. With those universal options, that's how you deal with these scenarios if you don't have a teleport or something like Jade's projectile negation thing.

Thank you for your post.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
How many days does S1 of KL have left? Gotta do 2 daily challenges still...

So Nightwolf next week?
I hope the next character is due soon, but I'll believe it when I see it. NRS taking it pretty slow this installment (for various reasons already covered at length in here). Haver there been any hints lately?

Last edited:

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
been any hints lately?
Just this

t4tgjysv

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Wow. Finally getting back to this game. Immediatley into a wifi teabagging scorpion....like come on. I'm kotal kahn give me a break. I just killed you instantly when i won round one.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting NRS' reveals to be synced to events. They seem to be operating on their own timeline for whatever reasons.