• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favourite thing to do is read every option for that Liu Kang string and punish.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
I've gotta stop playing this game in the mornings before work. I try to get about 4-5 matches in, but maybe it's due to the hour, I'm always getting matched up with people I've got a 30% chance of beating. Which is fine, I try to learn from it, but I do get salty, and that's a crap way to start the day.

Also, fuck Scorpion. Fought two this morning and that tele cancel is some bullshit

Aug 26, 2018
日本
It's one thing to lose because you got outplayed. It's quite another thing to lose because the game just decided you didn't actually press the button you just pressed. 1, 2, 1, Special Move cancel just decided that the 2 didn't exist and left me wide open to get dunked on.

Osu 16 Bit please talk to some people about the input buffering, especially as it relates to online. Please. The nonsense is getting to be too frequent, even on 3-4 bars.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I'm actually really happy with the balance of the game right now - from a lot of character variety in the competitive top 8s (and I think every single character being on stream at CEO) to not really feeling like I'm unable to compete more casually. I'm less looking for balance changes (though I'm sure some could come and improve the game), and more looking for quality of life changes:
1 - being able to only match with wired connections or have an ability to auto reject, without consequence, pings over a certain number;
2 - making sure that wins/losses are counted when someone hard disconnects;
3 - better rewards for matches in ranked outside of the Kombat League rewards. Whether it's significantly buffed koin payouts or just having random gear/skin/konsumables drop, it'd make the grind less annoying, and again, let people move away from towers, largely seen to be the least fun way to play the game, as the place to unlock cool shit;
4 - ability to more easily go after specific skins/gear, instead of intense RNG;
5 - ability to customize multiple Kombat League skins/presets instead of just the one via "default" option (I only use Sub-Zero, I wish I could freely change costumes on the select screen);
6 - less duplicate towers/less towers that take 30-40 minutes to complete. I'd way rather see towers have a default of 1-6 opponents overall than the 13 opponent set up that seems like the most common. At this point, I don't need the 6k koins and random tower consumables from the small towers within, I need to quickly get through them to unlock shit that's rewarded at the end of the towers so that I can get back to online.
7 - also, again, please make Quitalities just become babalities. I want to see my opponent turn into a crying baby and have that carry over to their next match's intro.

Last edited:

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually really happy with the balance of the game right now - from a lot of character variety in the competitive top 8s (and I think every single character being on stream at CEO) to not really feeling like I'm unable to compete more casually. I'm less looking for balance changes (though I'm sure some could come and improve the game), and more looking for quality of life changes:
1 - being able to only match with wired connections or have an ability to auto reject, without consequence, pings over a certain number;
2 - making sure that wins/losses are counted when someone hard disconnects;
3 - better rewards for matches in ranked outside of the Kombat League rewards. Whether it's significantly buffed koin payouts or just having random gear/skin/konsumables drop, it'd make the grind less annoying, and again, let people move away from towers, largely seen to be the least fun way to play the game, as the place to unlock cool shit;
4 - ability to more easily go after specific skins/gear, instead of intense RNG;
5 - ability to customize multiple Kombat League skins/presets instead of just the one via "default" option (I only use Sub-Zero, I wish I could freely change costumes on the select screen);
6 - less duplicate towers/less towers that take 30-40 minutes to complete. I'd way rather see towers have a default of 1-6 opponents overall than the 13 opponent set up that seems like the most common. At this point, I don't need the 6k koins and random tower consumables, I need to quickly get through them to unlock shit so that I can get back to online.
7 - also, again, please make Quitalities just become babalities. I want to see my opponent turn into a crying baby and have that carry over to their next match's intro.

I love all your points, but 7 absolutely needs to happen.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
I love the babality idea. That should really be a thing.

I would simply enjoy a random skin option for the default and it chooses from the skins you have unlocked. Or maybe you could select the skins it can use like you can select which intros and outros to have active.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
After realizing how bad I am at combos currently, I think I'm going switch to Totemic Kotal Kahn. I'm not converting well from Kahn Cut and the grab range for his command grab in ascension is so hard to land from a combo for me that its basically useless. I think having Sun Beam appear on me will work better at my shitty skill level.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Leaving the release check on makes the kombos much easier imo. Might be different from kharacter to kharacter though.

I'd also like it if they let us use souls and hearts as currency because I have 10K souls and a few hundred hearts just sitting there.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty sure that everyone is recommending for this to be turned off. No matter the character you play.

I was whiffing kombos like crazy and didn't know I had it turned off. I turned it back on and everything was fine. I'm going to play around with it some more, but so far release check being on was a lot more intuitive for me.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I still have input errors galore, and can't figure out what settings to use for those two input leniency settings to find a decent balance. (release check always off though)

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
God, game against a scorpion making me salty as fuck then i get a game with a wifi Kabal whose ping goes from 80 to 170 with constant skippign while he sings into the mic....ugh

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I've been as sick of fighting a character so quickly as Scorpion in this game. (Well maybe Scorpion in Injustice). I actually love his design this time, but the way they desined his move sets makes me hate the character.

He's so much more frustrating than Geras or Sonya shenanigans. I hope he gets hit hard whenever they finally decide to release a balance patch. Gimme it now. I couldn't care less about the tourney scene.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I don't think I've been as sick of fighting a character so quickly as Scorpion in this game. (Well maybe Scorpion in Injustice). I actually love his design this time, but the way they desined his move sets makes me hate the character.

He's so much more frustrating than Geras or Sonya shenanigans. I hope he gets hit hard whenever they finally decide to release a balance patch. Gimme it now. I couldn't care less about the tourney scene.
What are you struggling with specifically?

MagicPhone

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So, I would like to regale you all with a Mortal Kombat 11 story, sorry it's long. Last night I was doing my final set of 5 matches to unlock the scorpion skin. I am the farthest thing from a pro player, but 'm playing pretty well last night, won 3, lost 1, and I'm on my 5th match. I get matched with a guy who has their mic on and is talking the whole time. Already he's real annoying. He's playing Kung Lao and he beats me pretty bad in the first game. He's trash talking--when I do something kind of good, he's like "ooh nice"--but he's mostly destroying me and talking about how great he is.

This isn't unusual for me, especially with characters I don't play against that often, that it takes me a game to figure out what the guy is doing, and then adapt to it. I'd say this is the first fighting game where I'm even able to do that reliably, so I feel like I'm finally understanding why people like competitive fighting games. I'm finally just now looking for my opponents weaknesses and adjusting my play.

Oh, I didn't mention that this guy is about to rank up. So after the he beat me pretty bad in the first game, he says "let's just get this over with so I can rank up" and boy did that hurt. In the second game I do a lot better. It's close, he keeps hitting me with that teleport throw that kung lao has that is hard for me to escape because I normally block a lot. But I beat him, and he seems sort of impressed, and we go on to the last game.

I destroy him in the first round. Lots of jumping in and kicking. He keeps trying to teleport throw me, and I realize that to stop him from doing that, I can just jump around and move erratically, he'll flub it, and I can punish. I know, real amateur moves, no combos or nothing, but it's working for me. Second round, he is pissed. He's screaming "I blocked! I blocked that, c'mon!" over and over again. I feel like I'm back in middle school. And again, I'm not doing anything fancy, just staying in the air, blocking him when I can, and trying to not get stuck in any of my usual patterns, which were working out so bad for me in the first game. He beats me that second round, though, because his screaming is really distracting and I have this thing in games where I feel bad for people and don't play as well as I should if I'm winning, because I don't know, I want to be "fair."

Anyway, it's the last round. Whoever wins this wins it all. I keep jumping to avoid his throws. I keep kicking him in the face and blocking his combos. It's close, but I win. He is so pissed. He's screaming. "YOU BEAT ME WITH NEUTRALS! GUY JUST USED NEUTRALS THE WHOLE GAME! AAHHH!"

It was fantastic. I almost sent him a message afterwards of "GG" but I didn't want to get swatted. Anyway, fighting games are great. I guess my only question is about "using neutrals the whole game." Am I fighting cheap? What does he even mean? I was just being very careful after losing to his teleport throw, blocking wasn't safe, and I saw I could reliably jump in with kicks without getting punished. Thoughts?

Aug 26, 2018
日本
So, I would like to regale you all with a Mortal Kombat 11 story, sorry it's long. Last night I was doing my final set of 5 matches to unlock the scorpion skin. I am the farthest thing from a pro player, but 'm playing pretty well last night, won 3, lost 1, and I'm on my 5th match. I get matched with a guy who has their mic on and is talking the whole time. Already he's real annoying. He's playing Kung Lao and he beats me pretty bad in the first game. He's trash talking--when I do something kind of good, he's like "ooh nice"--but he's mostly destroying me and talking about how great he is.

This isn't unusual for me, especially with characters I don't play against that often, that it takes me a game to figure out what the guy is doing, and then adapt to it. I'd say this is the first fighting game where I'm even able to do that reliably, so I feel like I'm finally understanding why people like competitive fighting games. I'm finally just now looking for my opponents weaknesses and adjusting my play.

Oh, I didn't mention that this guy is about to rank up. So after the he beat me pretty bad in the first game, he says "let's just get this over with so I can rank up" and boy did that hurt. In the second game I do a lot better. It's close, he keeps hitting me with that teleport throw that kung lao has that is hard for me to escape because I normally block a lot. But I beat him, and he seems sort of impressed, and we go on to the last game.

I destroy him in the first round. Lots of jumping in and kicking. He keeps trying to teleport throw me, and I realize that to stop him from doing that, I can just jump around and move erratically, he'll flub it, and I can punish. I know, real amateur moves, no combos or nothing, but it's working for me. Second round, he is pissed. He's screaming "I blocked! I blocked that, c'mon!" over and over again. I feel like I'm back in middle school. And again, I'm not doing anything fancy, just staying in the air, blocking him when I can, and trying to not get stuck in any of my usual patterns, which were working out so bad for me in the first game. He beats me that second round, though, because his screaming is really distracting and I have this thing in games where I feel bad for people and don't play as well as I should if I'm winning, because I don't know, I want to be "fair."

Anyway, it's the last round. Whoever wins this wins it all. I keep jumping to avoid his throws. I keep kicking him in the face and blocking his combos. It's close, but I win. He is so pissed. He's screaming. "YOU BEAT ME WITH NEUTRALS! GUY JUST USED NEUTRALS THE WHOLE GAME! AAHHH!"

It was fantastic. I almost sent him a message afterwards of "GG" but I didn't want to get swatted. Anyway, fighting games are great. I guess my only question is about "using neutrals the whole game." Am I fighting cheap? What does he even mean? I was just being very careful after losing to his teleport throw, blocking wasn't safe, and I saw I could reliably jump in with kicks without getting punished. Thoughts?
He needs to git gud. lol

I've fought plenty of people that know a 15-hit combo + Krushing Blow if they can get a hit. But, if they don't know how to land the hit in the first place...GGs.

As my fun mic story, I had a similar guy...maybe the same guy?! that used Kung Lao and had his mic on talking nonsense. He took me out the first match. Then someone said to him...something, and he responded "Hold on, I just gotta beat this guy first." Completely unbearable throughout the whole set.

...He did not beat me. I even ended it with a Brutality. I then turned on my mic and said pointedly, "Less talking, more fighting." He disconnected.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
The sum of his parts, really. Others have touched on he's on how he is pretty much in control from the start w/ how his teleport operates. I've watched some videos on how to punish it, but still need to work on that, but I still think the sum of his tools has issues.

Even if you start punishing it, you'll run into Scorpions that uses the Teleport cancel variation, My biggest gripe with him they start fishing for krushing blows with F34.F3 is -2, he can cancel it to his overhead chain, bait you to stand for a F4 low, go for a throw or do F34 and get hit by his Krushing blow.

I have mine kept at Long with input shortcuts off and release check off.

I have everything off and kept it in short and I still somehow get the wrong move out.

EternalWinter

Oct 27, 2017
Oklahoma, USA
Am I fighting cheap?
In my opinion, there's no such thing unless there's a move that's actually bugged and the player exploits it. If whatever you're doing is working, keep doing it. If they can't adapt, that's their problem.

I've had a Kung Lao beat me doing only 4 things. Z hat, teleport mix up, 1 combo, and throws. I felt so stupid afterwards because my mind just couldn't figure out a counter. I deserved the loss because I'm dumb. Those are the worst too because I didn't feel like he won. I felt like I let him win because I couldn't wrap my head around what he was doing and stop him from doing it. That's how we learn though.

Different subject, I have release check off (I had tons of crap coming out that I didn't want when it was on), input shortcuts on, and medium time for specials. I tried input shortcuts off for a little while but my execution sucks and I had to switch it back.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nightwolf looks like a ps3 character. Very weird.

A bit jarring considering all the others look so realistic. But it might be just his side shot and the pic quality.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be the picture quality, it is definitely not doing his design any favors. Hyped as fuck for this, though.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Both Nightwolf and Sindel are screengrabs from the CGI trailer, i am pretty sure.
Nightwolf will probably be fully revealed but Sindel and the rest will briefly appear at the end.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

They sound like they're making the right moves with the MK movie. R rating, being true to characters, not trying to remake the '95 movie, stuff like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Nightwolf looks like a ps3 character. Very weird.

A bit jarring considering all the others look so realistic. But it might be just his side shot and the pic quality.
One of the two images in this thread was artificially brightened, removing a lot of the more natural qualities of the character. I suspect the character will look pretty great when we get the full reveal.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
It's from The Daily Star, a site I assume is banned (I'm not familiar with it, but assume so).

None of the info in there is new - data miners and leaks have pointed to Kombat Pack 1's guest characters being Ash/Terminator and Kombat Pack 2 featuring Fujin, Sheeva, Joker for months. There's no new confirmation or info at all.

Thanks, yeah I read it. Just a summary of stuff we already knew.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
What's the latency which the game lets you decline a match for Kombat league? I was just able to ditch a 179 wifi match but haven't been able to not take a 130 match.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Is NRS going to have a presence at SDCC? I wonder if they're waiting until then to reveal Ash, Terminator, and show the rest.

It would be nice to get a July QoL patch even if there's no character this month, but I'm not holding my breath.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Is NRS going to have a presence at SDCC? I wonder if they're waiting until then to reveal Ash, Terminator, and show the rest.

It would be nice to get a July QoL patch even if there's no character this month, but I'm not holding my breath.
It's a tough call at this point - I wouldn't expect a quality of life patch until a character releases or balance patch comes out. It's starting to gett to be too close to EVO to expect balance changes, and even a new character release is iffy, based on NRS' history of releasing semi-broken to full-on OP DLC characters at launch. It'll be interesting to see if they choose to release one and see how it flies, release one but have them off-limits for EVO, or just wait until post-tourney.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough call at this point - I wouldn't expect a quality of life patch until a character releases or balance patch comes out. It's starting to gett to be too close to EVO to expect balance changes, and even a new character release is iffy, based on NRS' history of releasing semi-broken to full-on OP DLC characters at launch. It'll be interesting to see if they choose to release one and see how it flies, release one but have them off-limits for EVO, or just wait until post-tourney.

Yeah, at this point I don't think there's any way there will be a balance patch before Evo. When does Shang become tourney legal? He seems like he could popular pick.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Yeah, at this point I don't think there's any way there will be a balance patch before Evo. When does Shang become tourney legal? He seems like he could popular pick.
He's definitely legal for EVO. I believe their rule is 30 days before day one of the tournament. So I guess Nightwolf and/or Sindel could release before or at EVO and just not be selectable.

Shang Tsung at high level play could be so hype - I got my ass kicked by a Shang online who transformed into me (Sub-Zero) and played my game better than I was. Still, can't help but think that not a single ninja move being tournament legal is a huge mis-step for NRS.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hey I need help on the PC. The Soul Chest that is suppose to help you advance the amulet quest is not spawning the item I need. Anyone know a work around? I believe the glitch was patched a while back so I can't cheese it.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
"You're fucking garbage. I hope your fucking family dies".

Lovely people out there on the mic

Just made the brutality even sweeter but fuck