• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
We do not know.

We don't know why it's literal hell to unlock brutalities.
Why you just can't buy skins (that can be offered on the store with a time limit for players that play frequently, as a freebie reward).
Why 70% of the cast has impossible krushing blows.
Why some characters have beautiful animations like Kitana and some are straight from MKX like Terminator.

We have no idea what's going on.
Mortal Kombat 11 is weird, I got really into playing it and have gotten decent at playing it and really enjoy the way it plays, but there's just so many annoying things around it that don't make sense.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they spent so much effort on Spawn's cape, they just said screw it, we don't have the resources to model/animate a maskless face.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they spent so much effort on Spawn's cape, they just said screw it, we don't have the resources to model/animate a maskless face.

To be fair I'm not convinced at all with the way Baraka's face animated when he talks so I think I'm fine with the sick ass outro for Spawn.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
z7u26vz7s8m41.jpg

spawn-287-reg-image-image-15216-10-B.jpg

His face looks awesome.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Then why isn't it a costume option or skin variant?

Maskless Spawn has always been a such common variation in all the figures, it feels as iconic as his deafult mask look. It's madness it's not an option in-game.
Because his classic, default, and commando costumes still have him masked by default, and they did something else for their NRS costume version, and none of the gear relates to his mask (honestly that would have been a good pick over, say, the gauntlet or boot, but oh well). It works well for his outro that has him tearing the mask off his face as well.

I doubt it was an animation limitation (again, they did model and animate it), but more just an artist choice. I'm happy with the choice, but I understand there are a TON of Spawn looks they could've gone with:
e033570dd048e20e7022bc073f4a08f7.png

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The outro is fine, but the limited use there is not worth sacrificing a playable model option. Didn't Soul Calibur include a maskles P2 variant? They knew it was important.

It's not the same as wanting a specific costume option really, as the maskless variatnt has been just that, a variant of a whole ton of different costumes on all the Spawn figures and costumes over the years. It's almost an expected alternate look for any given costume. It's the kind of thing a gear/skin system should be made for.

Sorry, but this was a big miss by NRS here.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
The outro is fine, but the limited use there is not worth sacrificing a playable model option. Didn't Soul Calibur include a maskles P2 variant? They knew it was important.

It's not the same as wanting a specific costume option really, as the maskless variatnt has been just that, a variant of a whole ton of different costumes on all the Spawn figures and costumes over the years. It's almost an expected alternate look for any given costume. It's the kind of thing a gear/skin system should be made for.

Sorry, but this was a big miss by NRS here.

I mean, it's a miss but they did such an incredible job capturing everything else about Spawn that it can be excused IMO. Obviously his masked face is what he's synonymous with even though he did appear without it in the comics frequently. This is easily the best realization of Spawn in virtual form and the fact we got a classic look and commando Spawn is more than I was expecting. Would I have rather had a maskless skin than the NRS look? Of course but it's not a big deal to me and I'm a huge Spawn fan.

Sorry it's so disappointing to you though. I get it.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Not discounting the effort, but it's still disappointing as a fan of ugly zombie heads.

They can make it up to me by putting in Eddie as a guest character.

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
The constant criticisms of Netherrealm's animations is becoming annoying as fuck, like OK we get it, they're stiff, whatever.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The constant criticisms of Netherrealm's animations is becoming annoying as fuck, like OK we get it, they're stiff, whatever.
Honestly it wouldn't be as bad if it was at least constructive, the issue is that it's always the same people saying the same stuff no matter how much they improve.

"they're shit"

Then MK11 is a massive improvement over MK9 and X

"they're shit"

Like it's one thing to say there's a lot of room for improvement (I'm sure there is) there's a baseline of "good enough" that apparently is never met for some people.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I was fine with MK11 honestly until The Terminator.

I can't believe how badly he moves overall. It's so jarring.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Honestly it wouldn't be as bad if it was at least constructive, the issue is that it's always the same people saying the same stuff no matter how much they improve.

"they're shit"

Then MK11 is a massive improvement over MK9 and X

"they're shit"

Like it's one thing to say there's a lot of room for improvement (I'm sure there is) there's a baseline of "good enough" that apparently is never met for some people.

Here is the thing, NRS has the biggest budget out of all the fighting game devs.

Has the animation improved? Yes. Is it still stiff? Yes.

Like spawn, his character model looks good. The cape is awesome.

But boy, his animations look stiff. I'm sorry. There needs to be more energy and momentum.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Here is the thing, NRS has the biggest budget out of all the fighting game devs.

Has the animation improved? Yes. Is it still stiff? Yes.

Like spawn, his character model looks good. The cape is awesome.

But boy, his animations look stiff. I'm sorry. There needs to be more energy and momentum.

Like stated above, Spawn is not representative of the game.

The game is very much hit or miss. Some characters animate great and others are horrendous.

There are only a few characters in between where you can see the animations are good but were sped up to match "frame data" and it looks off as a result.

Kung Lao is one of the best, Terminator is hands down the worst.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Like stated above, Spawn is not representative of the game.

The game is very much hit or miss. Some characters animate great and others are horrendous.

There are only a few characters in between where you can see the animations are good but were sped up to match "frame data" and it looks off as a result.

Kung Lao is one of the best, Terminator is hands down the worst.

I can agree. It's all over the place. Some are better than others. I was talking as a whole.

I think Baraka animates pretty good for example. Nothing looks odd to me with him.

And I agree with The Terminator, woof.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I can agree. It's all over the place. Some are better than others. I was talking as a whole.

I think Baraka animates pretty good for example. Nothing looks odd to me with him.

And I agree with The Terminator, woof.
I think this is what people need to finally come to grips with. "NRS animations suck!"

No... SOME of the animations suck. I would even argue that the MAJORITY of characters animate very well now, so when someone like The Terminator looks so off it's because he's surrounded by a majority of much better animations.

Personally, I think Spawn animates fine... 90% of the time. I can tell they had trouble using his cape for attacks and that bulk also makes his heavy-footed style seem strange. I would have personally made the choice to use his capes for grabs or holds instead of strikes and air attacks, but it is what it is.

Also, for some mild levity:
bpuq2nmbgsm41.jpg

The Elder Gods put the pressure on.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I think this is what people need to finally come to grips with. "NRS animations suck!"

No... SOME of the animations suck. I would even argue that the MAJORITY of characters animate very well now, so when someone like The Terminator looks so off it's because he's surrounded by a majority of much better animations.

Personally, I think Spawn animates fine... 90% of the time. I can tell they had trouble using his cape for attacks and that bulk also makes his heavy-footed style seem strange. I would have personally made the choice to use his capes for grabs or holds instead of strikes and air attacks, but it is what it is.
Agreed. Terminator stood out because he was legitimately poorly animated while everyone else animates very well. It's the reason why despite having similar animations, no one criticized Jason in MKX for the same thing because most of the animations in that game weren't that great.

Also lol @ Shao Kahn.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You guys are insane if you don't think Terminator looks god awful in a vacuum and not just because other characters are better.

I would argue it's worse than MKX because MKX was kind of goofy and cartoony, and the speed of the game meant you weren't really focusing much on animations.

In MK11 you have a pseudo realistic Arnold moving like an MKX character but 30% slower and holy god does it look like some bad stop motion action figure shit with terrible posing too.

And while we're at it, the young version of Terminator looks like he has no lips and he looks very weird. I guess because they made the older bearded version first but I don't get how this happened.

Sorry for the rent I was just really looking forward to the T-800 and I was very let down.

Hopefully young Ash looks good if he makes it in.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Terminator doesn't bother me that much because I think the character itself is more robotic/stiff by nature and doesn't move as dynamically. Not as much as say, Robocop, but enough so that it's not as jarring to me as it apparently is to some people. I can cut them slack on him.

If they're smart, they won't ever put in Robocop because they'd be setting themselves up for the stiff animation complaints.

My main complaint about Terminator is we didn't get a full or more exposed endoskeleton skin.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
Alright, I made it to demi god! I think I can avoid playing Kombat League for the remaining 46 hours, and not get penalized for avoiding the mode and come out of it with all the skins.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
NRS does need to definitely scrap/revist their tank character achetype animations for sure.

Alright, I made it to demi god! I think I can avoid playing Kombat League for the remaining 46 hours, and not get penalized for avoiding the mode and come out of it with all the skins.

You still get the rewards for the highest point you reached even if you drop lower. Might as well play the 5 daily matches for the time krystals.

I usually hit demigod and just mess around the last week. I drop out of demigod, but I only want the last skin and the krystals, and I don't lose those.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I always wondered about the wording of that, but didn't really want to test it! Good to know! I will keep playing.

Yeah, the background row highlighting on the rewards screen stays there indicating what you earned. If you drop in points only the little ribbon icon that corresponds to your current point level moves down.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I started playing The Gauntlet (yup almost one year after the release). Mostly because i really wanted Jade's Kounterstrike victory. And i reached stage 11 in one day.
My question is: Does it get harder/more annoying? I guess it does but by how much? I am not even sure should i bother continuing.

Oct 26, 2017
I started playing The Gauntlet (yup almost one year after the release). Mostly because i really wanted Jade's Kounterstrike victory. And i reached stage 11 in one day.
My question is: Does it get harder/more annoying? I guess it does but by how much? I am not even sure should i bother continuing.

I remember doing it at launch, and there are some very annoying fights, but I don't know how toned back they became. I remember one of them required you to get a double perfect during a tag team fight where you had the poison gas modifier on both the ground and in the air--so you had to be pixel perfect to not go too high or too low.

I bet it's become much easier now, so if you want the extra time crystals and skins, it's worth getting through.

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
Some of them are harder than the rest, but overall it shouldn't be a problem with the right consumables.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
I remember doing it at launch, and there are some very annoying fights, but I don't know how toned back they became. I remember one of them required you to get a double perfect during a tag team fight where you had the poison gas modifier on both the ground and in the air--so you had to be pixel perfect to not go too high or too low.

I bet it's become much easier now, so if you want the extra time crystals and skins, it's worth getting through.
Some of them are harder than the rest, but overall it shouldn't be a problem with the right consumables.
Thanks guys!

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!

Some of them were insanely annoying that even consumable couldn't fix. But I bet they made them a bit easier. Hell, I kind of miss them and wish they would add more.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of picking this up in the current PSN sale; is it a good entry for a newbie to get into both MK and fighting games?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox servers have been messed up for a couple days now and they're working on it per WB twitter.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
they messed up because kombat-pass owners already downloaded spawn. because of that, you cant connect to the servers. i can play spawn just fine by staying offline.

Oct 27, 2017
7.9 GB update on Steam.

steamcommunity.com

Steam :: Mortal Kombat 11 :: [3/17/20] PC Patch Notes

Hello all, Here are the patch notes for today's patch! General Gameplay Adjustments Move list corrections Improvements to AI logic Fixed issues with some augments not granting correct bonuses Increased the button input buffer when exiting a block hit reaction from 2 to 5 frames Practice Mode >...

steamcommunity.com

3/17/20 60 FPS Mode Temporarily Disabled :: Mortal Kombat 11 General Discussions

Hello all, We have temporarily disabled the 60 FPS MODE option, because we have seen graphical glitches with some characters, and we need a little more time to clean up the cinematics at 60 FPS. Due to this, the Krypt, Menu and Cinematics will remain at 30 FPS regardless of their setting chosen...

Last edited: