• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do Netherrealm games sell/review so well yet look so lame in motion compared to their contemporaries?
- NRS games have the best online netcode in the market
- They are the only fighting game developer to protect its online community from wi-fi warriors
- They put genuine effort in their customizable outfits equal to the default ones compared to the travesty that is the carnival of stupid seen in the Namco fighters
- Their DLC fighter prices are always more competitively priced over the Capcom/Namco/Arcsys contemporaries.
- They have by far the best single player content over every other fighting game in the market combined. (EDIT: Except Smash)

They sell well to the casuals despite the shitty animation.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
To me it seems like their need to have every single character have a shit ton of normal's and strings, so like 20% of moves get higher priority and get decent animations, well everything else is just filler and animated by interns and looks straight garbage.

There is no reason for every character to have 10 strings with unique animations, it's such a huge waste of time since most of them end up being pointless.

They need to significantly cut down on the characters movesets and polish it.

This is my takeaway as well. Their combat system "demands" a bunch of strings and so those are what usually get the most attention. But one off jabs/kicks look like trash. This is also due in part to their games not really being poke/neutral based.

I do really wonder how their games would play if they cut down on the amount of strings and made normals that were for actual use in the neutral and whiff punishing. The game would probably make a lot more sense visually but also play a lot less like traditional MK, closer to Street Fighter. Personally I would like that. Those visuals with a better neutral game? Would feel great to play in my opinion.

I'm going to echo these points as well as what I speculate is the deal. There are some good animations in Injustice 2, it's just that they may be buried in one of a million strings and the rest are janky with awkward transitions as a result.

I really wish they didn't carry over the string system to Injustice 2. That and the back and forth directional tapping for special moves which is inherently awkward for back-to-block games which adds to the awkward feeling. All these things add up and highlight the issues with the animation. As much as I like how they handled the DC IP, I'd take the gameplay from any other fighting game developer over NR.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
- NRS games have the best online netcode in the market
- They are the only fighting game developer to protect its online community from wi-fi warriors
- They put genuine effort in their customizable outfits equal to the default ones compared to the travesty that is the carnival of stupid seen in the Namco fighters
- Their DLC fighter prices are always more competitively priced over the Capcom/Namco/Arcsys contemporaries.
- They have by far the best single player content over every other fighting game in the market combined.

They sell well to the casuals despite the shitty animation.
I also think they're pretty darn fun to play, even if they aren't always smooth to look at.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't true. Sub-zero in IJ2 cost the same as a character in SFV ($5.99), and the fighter pack DLC is $20 and only comes with three characters (plus a skin for Supergirl and colors). How is this more competitively priced?

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't true. Sub-zero in IJ2 cost the same as a character in SFV ($5.99), and the fighter pack DLC is $20 and only comes with three characters (plus a skin for Supergirl and colors). How is this more competitively priced?
Because my preference is doing it. Therefore it's superior.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Injustice 2 released with the Ultimate Edition which was $40 for 9 DLC characters (+ whatever premier skins/shaders/customizations I can't remember).

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember anyone critcizing VF for its animations, they've always been top notch. Some people prefer the flashy style of Tekken, both in character design and hit effects, but VF is fine for what it does.
I got dunked on gaf by tekken fans once ok.

and yeah... vf5 looks insane for how old it is. that was probably the only fighting game that blew my socks off that gen. its so clean and well animated. that am2 magic