• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HYPED?!

• HELL YEAH, GET OVER HERE

Votes: 649 60.7%
  • Nope. I'm gonna stay over here thank you very much.

Votes: 190 17.8%
  • Undecided, need to see more before I head over there.

Votes: 230 21.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're revealing based on who's ready to show off. I imagine any new characters would take a longer development cycle compared to a returning character. While I'm not saying we'll get more than 3 newcomers, I don't think we have enough data to make a claim either way.
NRS don't recycle characters from previous games like Tekken/DOA/SC. There's no reason to believe a returning character would take less time to prepare vs a brand new one.

MKX reveal had Ferra/Tor, Kotal Khan, D'vorah, and Cassie all showcased (along with the 2 ninjas).

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
Kabal looks cool, but I feel like I can't really get excited about any character's move list until I know how the variations/abilities are going to work.

LuciusAxelrod

Oct 25, 2017
What do you want to know? We pretty much have all the answers to that already.

So from what I've heard, there will be three "base" variations that will be available for all characters, and those will most likely be the variations used for competitive play. I'd like to know which moves are included in each of those variations and if any moves are exclusive to customization. I don't really want to get too excited about moves that I may never get to use because they're locked behind an option I'll likely never use.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm surprised so many people seem interested in Reptile. I didn't realize he was so popular. Seems like they have to put him in to avoid disappointment.

He's the only character I really want in, so I hope he's back.
Reptile has really only missed 1 game before, Deception, and vanilla MK3. He's appeared in every MK game since the beginning, so he's more of a trusty stalwart expectation at this point.

May 26, 2018
I'm surprised so many people seem interested in Reptile. I didn't realize he was so popular. Seems like they have to put him in to avoid disappointment.

He's the only character I really want in, so I hope he's back.

I just want him to have his freaking human disguise again. I love that green ninja dude to pieces

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So from what I've heard, there will be three "base" variations that will be available for all characters, and those will most likely be the variations used for competitive play. I'd like to know which moves are included in each of those variations and if any moves are exclusive to customization. I don't really want to get too excited about moves that I may never get to use because they're locked behind an option I'll likely never use.

Boon stated in an interview that 3 default variations would cover all character options.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
They're revealing based on who's ready to show off. I imagine any new characters would take a longer development cycle compared to a returning character. While I'm not saying we'll get more than 3 newcomers, I don't think we have enough data to make a claim either way.
They don't have everyone ready to show off yet?
The game is out in 2 months and change

All they've shown of Kano & D'Vorah are renders. They can do that with any character

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Cassie, Jade or Kitana (that we all pretty much know already but not officially). Hopefully it's someone else.

Mdsfx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Have to say i was really expecting some bigger reveals. I'm curious about the other game modes that have been hinted at.

As a side note it's funny long how they drag out the reveal.They trickle the roster and every character is an "announcement." Just kind of funny to me. Was this ever done in the past (3D era games and before)?

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
NRS don't recycle characters from previous games like Tekken/DOA/SC. There's no reason to believe a returning character would take less time to prepare vs a brand new one.

MKX reveal had Ferra/Tor, Kotal Khan, D'vorah, and Cassie all showcased (along with the 2 ninjas).

Even if they redo all of the animations they still aren't starting from scratch like they would be with a brand new character.

They don't have everyone ready to show off yet?
The game is out in 2 months and change

All they've shown of Kano & D'Vorah are renders. They can do that with any character

It was stated at the reveal that they chose the characters based on who was closest to being finished.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they redo all of the animations they still aren't starting from scratch like they would be with a brand new character.

It was stated at the reveal that they chose the characters based on who was closest to being finished.
I didn't say it was just the animations. The character models, voice work, hit effects, attires, etc. are all brand new and redesigned. Just as it would for a brand new character.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I always liked Hotaru's design. It would be cool to see him again.

mk_hotaru_alt___prime_by_night_hawk_307-dcq5ir7.jpg

DrDogg

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say it was just the animations. The character models, voice work, hit effects, attires, etc. are all brand new and redesigned. Just as it would for a brand new character.

And they still aren't starting from scratch.

I agree that NRS is putting a lot of work into returning characters (Skarlet is a prime example), but it's still less work than they put into brand new characters where they have no base to start from.

Deleted member 5593

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And they still aren't starting from scratch.

I agree that NRS is putting a lot of work into returning characters (Skarlet is a prime example), but it's still less work than they put into brand new characters where they have no base to start from.
That's quite the bold assumption you're making. Especially when you consider that from what we've seen so far a classic character like Raiden has nearly double the number of special moves vs the sole newcomer revealed Geras (which among them are multiple utilities from Tremor in MKX).

The only argument you're presenting about starting from "scratch" is that some core lore decisions are established for the classic characters. You still need to consider the gameplay design for each of them has been completely re-conceptualized for every character. I. E. Sonya without the military stances and Dive kick, Skarlet completely retooled as a zoner, Sub-zero no longer basing his game plan on the ice clone which historically defined his archetype.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018
With any character that's returning they already have the basic concept ready and will keep but tweak many of their main attacks, and have a good feel for what to what fits the character when they add new ones.

A new character still has to go through the concept stage, and I don't think you should underestimate the work that goes into pitching and perfecting a concept before realising it.

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I want a real surprise.

Rooting for Sindel, Sareena, Sheeva, or Frost.
Frost I'm betting will be a Sub-Zero premier skin and not her own character if she makes it. Sareena is one I've been hoping for personally. MK has a lot of interesting characters in its lore, and they should look to develop some of those characters further rather than relying on completely new characters every time IMO.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Have to say i was really expecting some bigger reveals. I'm curious about the other game modes that have been hinted at.

As a side note it's funny long how they drag out the reveal.They trickle the roster and every character is an "announcement." Just kind of funny to me. Was this ever done in the past (3D era games and before)?

Not sure how far back you mean, but they seem to be doing it just like Injustice 2 with a pretty steady cadence of reveals/breakdowns and each character announcment being a thing. They didn't really go into detail on the game modes until much closer to launch.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Frost I'm betting will be a Sub-Zero premier skin and not her own character if she makes it. Sareena is one I've been hoping for personally. MK has a lot of interesting characters in its lore, and they should look to develop some of those characters further rather than relying on completely new characters every time IMO.
Frost isn't gonna be a skin for anyone considering the differences/problems with NRS female hitboxes.

Mr.Branding

Banned
May 11, 2018
Why are there so many MK11 threads? Wasn't there the other which is used for new info on chars, stages, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.