vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

CGMagazine - 9.5/10
Mortal Kombat 11 isn't just a fantastic entry into this long running franchise, it's a stunning example of how much value and content developers can pack into the fighting game genre.

Power Unlimited - 91/100
It is incredibly clever how NetherRealm can make such an old series interesting all the time and even delivers one of the best Mortal Kombat games ever with Mortal Kombat 11. I almost had to force myself to write this Review ... In my head I hear Scorpion "Get Over Here" all the time and I will respond to it again!

Gameblog.fr - 8/10
Mortal Kombat 11 is a very beautiful and enjoyable fighting game, and has a lot to give. Fans of the franchise and newcomers will a find something very technical and deep, with a lovable campaign plenty of game modes and even some quite interesting tutorials. A serious contender in its genre for 2019.

TheSixthAxis - 7/10
This game is the pinnacle of Mortal Kombat action. Fights are fluid, weighty, and gorgeous to look at. Unfortunately, that tightly-designed gameplay is bogged down by a grindy system of loot and consumables that only serves to artificially extend your playtime in the most tedious ways imaginable. There is so much heart and care put into this game, from the combat to the gorgeous visuals and memorable story, but that effort feels nullified by the desperate attempt to twist an iconic video game franchise into just another endlessly online service game.

PlayStation Universe - 9.5/10
Stuffed with masses of modes and a veritable avalanche of stuff to do, Mortal Kombat 11 is the best the series has ever looked, sounded and most importantly, played. Oh and it doesn't hurt either that it just so happens to have one of the best story modes ever made, too.

IGN - 9.0/10
Mortal Kombat 11 is the best game in the 27-year-old series thanks to deep, methodical new mechanics and fun story.

USgamer - 3.5/5
There's a lot to love in Mortal Kombat 11. It's a fantastic fighter with a roster of 25 varied characters, tons of customization options, beautiful graphics, and one of the best story modes in a fighting game. It's a shame that modes like the Krypt and Towers of Time inject annoyance and tedium into what was an excellent experience. The progression is complex and obtuse, when it should be easy and straightforward. MK 11 could been an all-time best, but it's just a contender.

Push Square - 7/10
Structural foibles detract from the fact that Mortal Kombat 11 is an excellent fighter with lots to offer. Those yearning for the gore-soaked days of old will find plenty to love, and newcomers will be enthralled by its excellent story and deep fighting system.

Shacknews - 7/10
Mortal Kombat 11 isn't the ideal MK package and may not even be the best MK package to come along in this console generation. Still, it's a strong package and one that still proves fun to play alone or with friends. It's not a flawless victory, but it's still a victory, nonetheless.

Variety - Positive
Mortal Kombat 11 is uncomfortable. Outlandish. Campy. Combined with the game's complex, precise gameplay, it's a damn good fighting game.

GamesRadar+ - 4/5
Mortal Kombat 11's story mode, along with its gameplay, is the most intense and gripping narrative in a fighter that I've played in years.

Twinfinite - 4.5/5
Whether you just plan on stopping by for the story and messing around with friends locally every once in a while, or plan on going hardcore into online play, you'll have plenty to do, and you'll have plenty of fun doing it until whenever the next Mortal Kombat game comes out some time in the next generation.

Critical Hit - 9.0/10
A bone-breaking blast of bloody fun, Mortal Kombat 11 is a celebration of ultra-violence that pushes the franchise forward to gloriously gory new heights.

We Got This Covered - 3.5/5
Mortal Kombat 11 is arguably the most enjoyable entry in the long-running franchise. It's visually incredible and a blast to play. However, questionable design decisions -- namely, a grind-heavy approach to progression -- hold it back from true fighting game greatness.

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I know it's early, but I am glad to see that reviewers aren't shying away from mentioning the grindy aspects. I hope NRS has the privilege to change it, sooner than later.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
From what i played game is really good but grinding problem is real and it is annoying as hell.
Switch version also does not allow you to access the Krypt or any of the towers without internet connection but other than that it's a really solid port. I'll eventually grab the PS4 version.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
Management completely fucked this game's review potential. Hope no bonuses were tied to Metacritic at Netherrealm. It really sounds like this would have been the best reviewed fighting game if it hadn't been for that enormous, non-necessary grind.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Rewatched the MK9 story and watched the MKX story over the weekend. I played through MK9's story mode back when it launched and loved. The botched launch of MKX on PC hindered my enjoyment of that game in a way that caused me to not really ever come back to it so I watched the story over the weekend and... it was good. Definitely didn't pull me in the same way but I enjoyed it and it really got me excited for MK11.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Wow I predicted 84 but I wasn't actually expecting it to be around that. A little surprised. A great score nonetheless

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
Is the grind comparable to Injustice 2? That wasn't so bad if you're just focused on a handful of characters.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is the grind comparable to Injustice 2? That wasn't so bad if you're just focused on a handful of characters.

From the impressions of folks who got the game early it's much worse

One positive this game has is that all of the special moves are there from the start and you don't have to grind for those

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
TheSixthAxis - 7/10
This game is the pinnacle of Mortal Kombat action. Fights are fluid, weighty, and gorgeous to look at. Unfortunately, that tightly-designed gameplay is bogged down by a grindy system of loot and consumables that only serves to artificially extend your playtime in the most tedious ways imaginable. There is so much heart and care put into this game, from the combat to the gorgeous visuals and memorable story, but that effort feels nullified by the desperate attempt to twist an iconic video game franchise into just another endlessly online service game.
Great review and summarizes exactly how many fans feel about the situation.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Looks like another great game fucked up by excessive monetisation. NetherRealm takes it even further this time, hard pass.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
The grindiness in the SP modes seems to be knocking 1-2 points off the review scores on average so far. Shame really. Those would have likely been 10's if it weren't there.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Funny how this game might end up with a similar score to SC6, because of the grind alone. I love Soul Calibur, but the effort put that game is not even close to MK11's.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like another great game fucked up by excessive monetisation. NetherRealm takes it even further this time, hard pass.
The grindiness in the SP modes seems to be knocking 1-2 points off the review scores on average so far. Shame really. Those would have likely been 10's if it weren't there.
It is a shame. I do recall Boon talking about WB basically forcing that shit on them which is really sad as the actual game itself is top notch.

Good reviews all round, though.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Seems like the game would've reviewed better in some outlets had they not added tedious time sinks to make the grind longer. Will check impressions regarding gameplay later today as that's what interests me the most and hopefully there's stuff from people who actually know how to play fighting games. Don't have much time to go in-depth with the reviews right now.
Edit: And yeah, outlets calling them out on the grind is good to see. I know it's not Boon's fault as he was probably forced to put that shit in, so I hope those responsible take notice somehow (they won't and will blame something else instead).

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They're going to need to fix this grindy shit up. Just another case of a publisher overstepping with their business practices and now we have to yank their chain back.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Dear god the lootbox fest of injustice2 was not my thing and this is worst?

Sounds like the perfect game to wait for the game of the year edition

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
As expected, seems the game isn't quite as generous as Injustice 2 was.
Shame. It still looks like the core of it is quite good though but I'm glad I decided to wait a bit.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
Shame about the tedious grind. I'm sure WB will release a mea culpa patch later on like they did with Shadow of War and try to seem like the good guys.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who sucks at online fighters I have always really liked nether realms "grindy" systems. I get why it's not ideal for a lot of people but in the fighting game world no game offers more for a single player content focused gamer

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who sucks at online fighters I have always really liked nether realms "grindy" systems. I get why it's not ideal for a lot of people but in the fighting game world no game offers more for a single player content focused gamer
I think most people like it too, but in MK11, unlike Injustice 2, they turned into the bad kind of grinding. Frustrating and unfair instead of fun and addictive.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
How long do you think it'd take for new players to hit this grindy wall if they just went right into the story mode/tutorials/played some online first?

Story mode is like 5 hours of playtime. Can probably bang through all the tutorials in an hour and some change. Online is as long as you want, of course.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I legitimately think people should boycott the game. These mechanics are unacceptable and if I ever end up buying it for the 5 hour story it will be when its 10$ bargain bin

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Man this grind stuff is probably going to make me cancel my Premium Edition pre-order and wait until it's on sale. I don't have the kind of time to grind out shit like that these days.

martnRULES

Apr 3, 2019
Shame. Seems like another great game being hamstrung by aggressive monetization tactics. I do like that more reviewers are factoring in monetization tactics into their final verdicts. IMHO, Monetization should hold as much weight as Content or Length in review scores..

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
what unlockables are tied to the grinding? Is something related with the gameplay?

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the gameplay has to be near perfect and the grind not THAT annoying if is getting this kind of scores...

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Good scores, glad the gameplay is good but they can fuck right off with the grinding shit.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
what unlockables are tied to the grinding? Is something related with the gameplay?

No, not really. It's just skins and gear and fatality/brutality inputs (though the latter are already available everywhere on the net).

You can also earn augments for your gear that grant small buffs (ie. 2% extra throw damage) but that's the extent of it, I believe.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
I kinda wish it simply used Injustice 2's system actually.

It's apparently much, much worse than Injustice 2. In Injustice 2, you could farm a complete epic sets in multiverse in a couple of hours. In MK11, you apparently struggle to find a single worthwhile armor piece upgrade among 3-4 towers completion. After a certain point in time, loots are either duplicates in abundance or simply not an upgrade over what you currently have.