• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Aug 29, 2018
Lmao insulting people's brain because we dont care for some Tower of Time shit that will be fixed in weeks ? WHO CARES MAN . You play (you probably dont just here to spread hate ) game to have fun. Do kombos and play online most of time. Single player story is meaty as fuck but no you only want to talk about some negative thing about the game.

This is really problematic like 4 page and nobody talks about actual game itself.

Your reading comprehension is shit. I didn't insult anyones brain except maybe my own and you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fighting game fan. MK was a part of that for a long time and now it wont be, because MY brain has a hard time at not caring about the stupid shit they clearly want to bombard me with.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Scores are too high for what a mess the single player sounds like. No wonder publishers think and do get away with microtransaction infested games.

They don't "get away with it" because the scores are too high.

They "get away with it" because consumers generally have signaled to them time and time again that they are willing and able to pay for this sort of stuff.

I'm not saying that makes it right or anything, that's just how it is.

Aug 29, 2018
I love the gameplay, the graphics, art direction, and alot of the added mechanics to the actual Kombat system over MKX. But.. the micro transactions are extreme and forced into this game.

I thought guys like Derek could be trusted to balance the Towers Of Time, its his job to do so. I was unfortunately convinced there were "real gamers" on the Kombat Kasts that may have our interests at heart. But if that were true, the grinding would have been turned down a notch before release.

No chance in hell Derek could have kompleted some challenges without serious or infinite konsumables.

On top of that, the weird algorithms of making you feel like Sonic Fox in some battles then difficulty spikes to make you feel like a 2 bit loser for some other matches. But it's all designed that way to get you to spend and feel like Fox again. Man what a shady manipulative system. MTX's is not the only thing that needs fixing... but glad SOME outlets have the guts to do it.

Im NOT surprised IGN gave Shaow Of War a 9/10 despite the MTX in that game. Not surprised at all
Definitely a case of one bad choice ruining a lot of good ones

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao insulting people's brain because we dont care for some Tower of Time shit that will be fixed in weeks ? WHO CARES MAN . You play (you probably dont just here to spread hate ) game to have fun. Do kombos and play online most of time. Single player story is meaty as fuck but no you only want to talk about some negative thing about the game.

They were talking about their own brain.

This is really problematic like 4 page and nobody talks about actual game itself.
This shit design is PART of the game, and needs to be talked about, loudly, until they change it.

Stop supporting anti-consumer design.

They don't "get away with it" because the scores are too high.
Yes they do. We've known for a long time now that review scores, Metacritic especially, affect how publishers view success.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Game is a microtransaction grind fest....9/10 lolololol. This industry is fucked.

Only if you follow the sellout so called journalists, for me I read the reviews carefully and blacklist every single one of them who fail to mention the awful grinding, this way is easier to know who are the ones worth following and the ones too ignore in the future

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Saying the netcode is great without the game servers being hammered by thousands of players is hilarious.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's a shame but I'll just completely ignore skins in this game. I'll play online and classic towers, while hating not having access to all the really cool outfits because I'm not grinding several hours a day (I let a CPU do the grinding for me in Injustice 2 and I still never got gear I wanted, it's absurd) nor I'm going to buy their silly currencies. Huge downgrade coming from MKX in this aspect.

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could of had one of the best rated fighting game of all time and they fucked it up because of greed.

Hope you're proud Boon.

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
No price yet for the Kombat Pack? Has to be $40 or less right? Trying to determine which version to buy and really don't want to drop an extra $40 on DLC that isn't there yet. Don't really care about early access or cosmetics.

Last edited:

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
a beta was not the same as a game release, that is for sure. a beta has a fraction of the players of a regular game release.

What is this words even mean ? Of course its not same thing but its same online rollback and multiplayer infrastructure that is used. That is also tested by MKXL which uses same thing (added late in to game life cycle beta test for MK11)

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
You were planning to skip the game because of Ronda Rousey? Wouldn't avoid choosing Sonya kind of solve your issue?

Ignoring a character isn't the same as ignoring MTX. Having said that, many do not understand that Rousey already got paid. She is not making money off of each copy of the game. Even with the dlc, with the way Netherrealm works, they probably already recorded whatever VO they needed from her for the dlc characters.

So for anyone (like me) who is bothered by Rousey's presence in this game whether you buy the game or not Rhonda got her money. Here's the thing though: much like the rest of her acting work her VO here is terrible. It's bad enough that its being called out in reviews (see IGN's video review). If people make a big enough stink about how bad her VO is Netherrealm will definitely not be bringing her back for future games. They got the PR bump from doing it this time but they definitely wouldn't get that same bump a second time.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Augments are not cosmetic.

Are augments in every online aspect? I get them for challenging towers, and maybe casual online but I can't imagine ranked allows augments, does it?

I'm just trying to get a hold on this. The story seems universally praised, and people say the fighting core mechanics are great. The beta didn't present any network issues the two sessions I played. I totally get knocking a point or two for a terribly implemented mode but if I can hop online and just play customized but not augmented fighter vs another then I'm good.

teh_J0kerer

Jan 3, 2018
Any reviews yet from a fighting game player's perspective? (ie not caring about anything other than the online multiplayer).

Also, has anyone reviewed the pc version?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
They could of had one of the best rated fighting game of all time and they fucked it up because of greed.

Hope you're proud Boon.
Boon didn't do this dawg lol. This is clearly WB given their track record. They're known for it.

WB turns potentially amazing games into "man if only they didn't do these few things" ones lol.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Are augments in every online aspect? I get them for challenging towers, and maybe casual online but I can't imagine ranked allows augments, does it?

Augments are not online in anyway. They are not in local modes or normal towers. They are only specisific for Tower of Time single player mode.

I am saying this over few pages its useless shit just to equip you or your CPU character to get more powerful like Test Your Might thing in MK9

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Augments are not online in anyway. They are not in local modes or normal towers. They are only specisific for Tower of Time single player mode.

I am saying this over few pages its useless shit just to equip you or your CPU character to get more powerful like Test Your Might thing in MK9

LMAO that's what I thought. Mountain out of a molehill for people who wanted an excuse not to buy it anyway.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
As long as the grinding doesn't have any effect on the story campaign, I'm sticking with renting this just to play through that.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Any Switch specific reviews out there?

Not that I'll be getting it on that console now because FYI, I visited two retail stores today to get the Shao Kahn pre-order bonus and they both told me the Switch version (at least in Europe) isn't out until May 10th!!!

When the fuck did this happen?

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Nice reviews so far. I'd give it a 10/10 just on the basis of how many inbreds got mad over the Jax ending.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO that's what I thought. Mountain out of a molehill for people who wanted an excuse not to buy it anyway.
No, it's not a mountain out of a molehill.

The entire mode is balanced poorly to push people toward MTX. There was a review of Tower of time here that went into the issues, and this is coming from an online player who found the modes difficulty spikes to push toward MTX ridiculous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc27lYIZMWk

It was blocked by WB, I wonder why....

Here's the written review:

Yesterday I posted my impressions of Towers of Time, Augments and the Krypt, and I promised to update you when I get some more time with it. Well since then I cleared Noob Saibot's 2nd Character Tower, and summoned the third. And came across the 2nd worst fight in the ToT so far.

I'm linking a video review of the towers of time at the bottom, but if you are having trouble with my accent or the audio, I'm also going to summarize it here. The towers are more intricate than they've ever been. There's more to see and do and the konsumables are fun distractions, but the towers are currently ruined because of two things:

1) The input/output ratio is bad. Noob Saibot's 3rd tower requires the following for the point of summoning to the point of finishing - 75,000 koins, 300 soul tokens, 100 Krushing blows done, 25,000 pints of blood spilled. In exchange, the rewards you get are: 1 end of round taunt, 1 victory pose, 2 skins, 3 gear pieces, 2 Noob Saibot Augments, 2 variation icons. This is not a good enough reward for the time and effort you need to put in.
Any other game with a different economy would just reward you the victory poses and skins for doing 100 krushing blows and 25,000 blood spilled as a challenge. And the other trinkets could be purchased by spending 75,000 koins or 300 soul tokens. But here, all of that just gives you the privilege of playing the towers. You still need to beat them to get the stuff, which gets me to point 2.

2) The towers have inconsistent difficulty spikes, and some of the worst balanced fights in fighting game history. I know a hard fight from bad game design. This is the latter. Trust me I'm not throwing this term around lightly. I've played old SNK bosses, I've done the MK9 challenge tower, cleared IJ2 multiverse bosses, and cleared SFV extreme survival. All of those are downright friendly compared to what we have here.

Most of the fights in the Towers of time are pushovers if you've been playing fighting games seriously for a while. They're just moderate difficulty CPU battles where the CPU does 3-4 hit combos and occasionally reads your inputs. But then there are occasional fights that make you question your reality. Try fighting a Kano while your normal and special move damage is halved, your Fatal blow damage is nerfed by 75%, while the Kano calls in an unblockable air strike that drops 4 explosives that do 10% of your health each, and also a single missile that reverses your controls, and both of these on a 5 second cool down. You tell me that is good game design.

In my video review, there's a fight which can only be won by losing till the CPU performs a mercy on you, and then making a comeback on him while his assists are disabled. If this is the only realistic way of winning these battles by a seasoned semi-serious fighting game player, then oh boy, new players or casuals are in for a very bad time.

I estimate that seasoned players can do
80% of the battles without konsumables with none to moderate amount of challenge
15% of the battles with konsumables to reduce the considerable challenge to make them fair
5% of the battles are impossible on paper without relying on mercies and mercy + heal konsumable strats

For the casuals, it is much, much worse
20% battles are easy to moderate and can be beat without konsumables
30% battles will be really hard but manageable with konsumables
50% of the battles will be downright impossible with or without konsumables, due to reduced player damage and increased enemy damage, and the reliance on big combos by the player to cope
There are a couple of easy solutions to this off the top of my head. The first is to make every assist/special from konsumables blockable. Even if that means the CPU can block it when I use it. That's a fair exchange. Second, if I'm facing a boss who has additional damage and I have reduced damage, like most fights in ToT, then make the boss not have assists to use. This makes it so that veteran players can overcome the damage limitation of their character and high hp of the boss with their skill, and don't have to deal with bullshit assists on top of that. Meanwhile, newer, less experienced players can use the konsumables to make up for their lack of combos or damage, and use this mechanic as intended.

Keep these assists and hazards for lower tier enemies in the towers who would normally be pushovers for veterans, and only slightly problematic for new players. Also, don't limit the damage of the players for these cannon fodder enemies. This way, rank and file enemies can still be annoying to veterans due to the assist characters, and be a slight wall to new players, who can use the konsumables to even the odds. The current system is similar, except that even rank and file enemy battles have player damage nerfed.

Yesterday, someone asked me if I would recommend this game to someone who's only in it for the single player, and I said yes, especially if you haven't spoiled the story for yourself. After reading a few posts and putting myself in the shoes of the average casual player, I'm not so sure anymore. For me, a lackluster story or a downright badly designed towers of time mode can't even scratch the brilliance that are the stages, characters and 1v1 fights in this game. But if you're not in this for the online or tournaments, then I could see you pulling your hair on some of these fights.

It's a 7/10 for the story and 5/10 on towers of time as they currently stand, for a 6/10 overall for the single player suite of the game. If you are in it for single player + online or just for online and the competition, then the game is easily a 9/10 or 10/10. But if you're someone who only wants to fight the AI, use the game to relieve stress, watch fatalities and unlock stuff, then I would recommend you wait till launch or a few weeks after to see if the final product is different. Or wait for a sale.

From here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...-stages-discussion-thread.85607/post-20021355

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let me guess, hardly any reviewers actually reflected fundamental shitty practices and gameplay impacts via MTs in their review scores?

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Augments are not cosmetic.
Tbf augments are only used in ToT.
No, it's not a mountain out of a molehill.

The entire mode is balanced poorly to push people toward MTX. There was a review of Tower of time here that went into the issues, and this is coming from an online player who found the modes difficulty spikes to push toward MTX ridiculous. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc27lYIZMWk

It was blocked by WB, I wonder why....
It's true that it's atrocious, but it's also true that it's cosmetics and stuff you will only need in ToT. For someone who doesn't care about that this is a non issue.

Fatalities don't need to be unlocked for them to work. I don't know about Brutalities, though.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Let me guess, hardly any reviewers actually reflected fundamental shitty practices and gameplay impacts via MTs in their review scores?

Both your answers are no . There are already reviewers who says grinding is bad , and no gameplay doesnt affected by them. Augments are literal equivalent of Amibo in Smash Bros. Only effective in Towers of Time(no local battles,no normal classic towers, nothing all on online modes)

So are you satisfied , you could look reviews on first page though instead of posting

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Imagine defending mobile tier MTX pushing.

I say this as I'm pre-loading the Premium version.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
How to destroy the hype after Spawn (DLC) and using the best music evar in 15 seconds?

Adding MT around a painfull progression system. Warner is curcurently worse than EA and Activision in my humble opinion.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

It's true that it's atrocious, but it's also true that it's cosmetics and stuff you will only need in ToT. For someone who doesn't care about that this is a non issue.

Fatalities don't need to unlocked for them to work. I don't know about Brutalities, though.

You can do brutalities if you know how to do them ( or you know just google them) . Unlocking fatalities or brutalities only gives you to see from move list. Nothing else

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Fatalities don't need to be unlocked for them to work. I don't know about Brutalities, though.
And this is the exact problem: people will buy it because they don't care/it doesn't affect them directly, so practises like this will continue to happen.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
How to destroy the hype after Spawn (DLC) and using the best music evar in 15 seconds?

Adding MT around a painfull progression system. Warner is curcurently worse than EA and Activision in my humble opinion.

Spawn is not even announced what hype? Do you think majority of people know he is in ? or getting hyped over .txt leak of characters . There will be mad hype when they reveal DLCs for real.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
You can do brutalities if you know how to do them ( or you know just google them) . Unlocking fatalities or brutalities only gives you to see from move list. Nothing else
That's good to know. In that case I can ignore ToT until they fix them, which I hope they do. It's still shitty for people who do care about this stuff.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
And this is the exact problem: people will buy it because they don't care/it doesn't affect them directly, so practises like this will continue to happen.

Since when crying about this situtation fixed anything ? At this point its just becoming tiresome. You should wait for Complete editions if you care this too much and get lost on game when communitys,hype etc always more on launch and 1st year

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since when crying about this situtation fixed anything ? At this point its just becoming tiresome. You should wait for Complete editions if you care this too much and get lost on game when communitys,hype etc always more on launch and 1st year

If you're tired of it just go hang out in the MK subreddit, it's full of people just like you.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I hope they patch that grindy shit out. AFAIK Shadow of War patched out a lot of its skeevy mechanics, so maybe the same will happen with this.
That happened way latter tho. They were happy to sell people lootboxes in the meantime and just did the apology patch when they thought it was a good time to get some good PR and additional sales now that the game has been out for a year or so. At least it felt that way.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

People are not crying, they are voicing their valid concerns. And we NEED to voice them loudly so that action is taken swiftly.

This is not something you should be defending, no matter how good the core game is.

The game has JUST had reviews dropped, so of course we're going to talk about his issue now that said reviews have highlighted it.