• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
If you're tired of it just go hang out in the MK subreddit, it's full of people just like you.
giphy.gif

SpiffyWickedCoati-size_restricted.gif

Hype is too strong with this one. I mean its cool to hate these practises as whole but game is amazing and its really getting tiresome that nobody in 6 pages actually talks about game , story mode, multiplayer modes, characters but "MTX MTX MTX " just write WB support if you dont like this idk

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think some reviews docked enough points for the grinding issues. They addressed it but it should hold much more weight. These issues directly affect the longevity of a games enjoyment. Another reason why user reviews are so important. I'll wait and check out the reviews of people on Steam who have played 100 + hours.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hype is too strong with this one. I mean its cool to hate these practises as whole but game is amazing and its really getting tiresome that nobody in 6 pages actually talks about game , story mode, multiplayer modes, characters but "MTX MTX MTX " just write WB support if you dont like this idk
We NEED to talk loudly about this issue so it is fixed and we can get back to focusing on the core game which looks fantastic.

Until then, we will voice our concerns.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
And this is the exact problem: people will buy it because they don't care/it doesn't affect them directly, so practises like this will continue to happen.
I guess, but it would be easier if the core game was low quality.
Instead we have a really really good game with one busted mode, so it's hard to blame people for buying it especially if they don't care about said mode.

I suppose the best we can do, whether or not we get the game, is to keep voicing our disappointment and hope WB/NRS listen.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
We NEED to talk loudly about this issue so it is fixed and we can get back to focusing on the core game which looks fantastic.

Until then, we will voice our concerns.

No game ever fixed their MTX by talking on resetera or neogaf when that place was active. I am pretty sure Shadow of War dropped them to get more sales considering itwasnt success as first game which was seen from no hype around launch (before launch as well) It was just not interesting game enough . Its about sales of game and MK11 will sale mad like no matter what because trailers are hype , content is there, people loved characters like Noob,Shao Kahn,Shang Tsung is back but whatever congrats on your journey to defeat evil lords of video game publishers in your life.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
No game ever fixed their MTX by talking on resetera or neogaf when that place was active. Its about sales of game and MK11 will sale mad like no matter what because trailers are hype , content is there, people loved characters like Noob,Shao Kahn,Shang Tsung is back but whatever congrats on your journey to defeat evil lords of video game publishers in your life.
I know it irritates you, but people won't shut up about predatory MTXs. Now go and buy some Crystals.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Instead we have a really really good game with one busted mode, so it's hard to blame people for buying it especially if they don't care about said mode.

I suppose the best we can do is, whether or not we get the game, is to keep voicing our disappointment and hope WB/NRS listen.

I don't blame anyone for buying it. I'm not looking down on anyone who is.

Personally, I just can't bring myself to support something like this day 1. As soon as they fix it, I will buy.

No game ever fixed their MTX by talking on resetera or neogaf when that place was active. Its about sales of game and MK11 will sale mad like no matter what because trailers are hype , content is there, people loved characters like Noob,Shao Kahn,Shang Tsung is back but whatever congrats on your journey to defeat evil lords of video game publishers in your life.
It doesn't matter, this thread is about reviews, and the reviews highlight the issues.

If you want to talk about how great the game is and ignore the valid concerns the reviews raised, go to the OT or make your own thread.

Here, we talk about the reviews.

PS - and it's been proven many times now that reviews impact publisher opinion of success, with things like bonuses being tied to metacritic scores etc...

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure you'd be right in a world where Battlefront II and Shadow of War didn't exist. They're all valid concerns, and being vocal is the only chance for them to do something about it. But whatever :)

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
No game ever fixed their MTX by talking on resetera or neogaf when that place was active. I am pretty sure Shadow of War dropped them to get more sales considering itwasnt success as first game which was seen from no hype around launch (before launch as well) It was just not interesting game enough . Its about sales of game and MK11 will sale mad like no matter what because trailers are hype , content is there, people loved characters like Noob,Shao Kahn,Shang Tsung is back but whatever congrats on your journey to defeat evil lords of video game publishers in your life.
Not talking about it and buying the game certainly didn't fix the horrible MTX economies in Forza 7 and Battlefront 2. These are pretty good examples of things that complaining can and does fix.

You think WB aren't monitoring the reaction to this on numerous forums/subreddits/stores?

Oct 27, 2017
Why does every review thread turn into a MTX inspection force circle jerk? MTX are not going anywhere. Either don't buy them, or buy another game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about it and buying the game certainly didn't fix the horrible MTX economies in Forza 7 and Battlefront 2. These are pretty good examples of things that complaining can and does fix.

You think WB aren't monitoring the reaction to this on numerous forums/subreddits/stores?
Precisely.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm sure you'd be right in a world where Battlefront II and Shadow of War didn't exist. They're all valid concerns, and being vocal is the only chance for them to do something about it. But whatever :)

If Battlefront 2 was actually great game with superb content and good enough maps like you know instead of 4 it would be great game regardless of MTX and people would buy the game. I am pretty sure people will buy Rocksteady's next game which will include same MTX and be great about it. People werent going to buy BF2 from what they have shown already. You are very naive if you think people didnt bought due MTX.
Nobody but some internet people cares

People bought Last of US which had same practises for entire online mode. People are playing GTA V online to death you know. If you have enough content and be good game instead of soulless shit Battlefront 2 was.

Both these games are became very very successful and has more garbage MTX than this game

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Since when crying about this situtation fixed anything

Have you been living under a rock? Decrying negative gaming practices has never seen more success! This past year has seen countless games as a service get roasted for bad value and having to go 50% off a month after release due to plummeting interest. We will see growing impact in the future as players become even more critical of the value proposition of a full price game.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Dude I love MK as much as you do, but people have every right to voice their concerns and disappointment in WB/NRS predatory practices.

You shouldn't be trying to shut them up because in the end this criticism will help make the game better if NRS listens, and the only way they will listen is if people speak loudly to them.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
If you're concerned about this game make sure you don't forget to voice your concerns to the Twitter accounts of Mortal Kombat, Ed Boon, Tyler Landsdown, Derek Kirtzic, NRS Studios and WB Games on Twitter. Ed, Tyler and Derek peep responses. Derek even commented a lot about reading responses during that latest IGN question video they posted last week. It doesn't matter how many followers you have, just go ahead and do it because the more the better.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

I suppose the best we can do, whether or not we get the game, is to keep voicing our disappointment and hope WB/NRS listen.

the other way round, the whole single player content is busted. believe it or not, there are people buying these games for their single player stuff, they enjoy unlocking gear and doing their towers. NRS fighters especially have the reputation of good single player content in a fighting game

not everyone is interested in playing a fighting game online with involved lag and idiots spewing curses at you.

besides that, the whole balance of the game is affected because of those MTX stuff in place. if someone cares about the single player, the other games were better than this one.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

One of the NRS folks explicitly name-dropped Test Your Might on a Game Informer interview thing late last week. They are watching.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Are augments in every online aspect? I get them for challenging towers, and maybe casual online but I can't imagine ranked allows augments, does it?

I'm just trying to get a hold on this. The story seems universally praised, and people say the fighting core mechanics are great. The beta didn't present any network issues the two sessions I played. I totally get knocking a point or two for a terribly implemented mode but if I can hop online and just play customized but not augmented fighter vs another then I'm good.

Augments are in Klassic Towers, Towers of Time, Local play and more.

Both your answers are no . There are already reviewers who says grinding is bad , and no gameplay doesnt affected by them. Augments are literal equivalent of Amibo in Smash Bros. Only effective in Towers of Time(no local battles,no normal classic towers, nothing all on online modes)

So are you satisfied , you could look reviews on first page though instead of posting

Who told you Augments aren't in Klassic Towers or Local play?

Klassic towers:
GkmyVRy.jpg

Local play:
l2Gcm4A.jpg

Augments are there in modes that use Variations. Unless I've missed something in my play, those screenshots were pretty easy to find in my older footage.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Battlefront 2 was actually great game with superb content and good enough maps like you know instead of 4 it would be great game regardless of MTX and people would buy the game. I am pretty sure people will buy Rocksteady's next game which will include same MTX and be great about it.

People bought Last of US which had same practises for entire online mode. People are playing GTA V online to death you know. If you have enough content and be good game instead of soulless shit Battlefront 2 was
First, a lot of people really liked the game, the biggest problem by far for most people were the MTX, and one of the biggest shitstorm of videogames was about them, not lack of content or the quality of the game. And in the end, it doesn't even matter what the quality of the game is, if the game has shitty practices, it has shitty practices, and people have every right in the world to criticize the game for it, since it 100% affects their enjoyment of the game.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
And this is the exact problem: people will buy it because they don't care/it doesn't affect them directly, so practises like this will continue to happen.
You are generalizing, i will buy because despite not liking the way towers and krypt are being handled, the good outweights the bad for me.

Also, im not giving them a single dime for costumes and intros/outros, which is another choice. The game won't deny you any gameplay related content If you do not pay. If you had to hunt for moves, that would another story.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Boon didn't do this dawg lol. This is clearly WB given their track record. They're known for it.

WB turns potentially amazing games into "man if only they didn't do these few things" ones lol.

Hilariously naive. Devs are on the mtx train just as much as publishers. They're not our special, innocent game-making friends. Bungie approached Activision about building Destiny 2 around Eververse, not the other way around. Devs aren't going to turn down extra revenue, job security, and such. People need to stop excusing them for this shit because some sinister, faceless publisher exec is making them do it.

NRS built this game this way because they wanted to. Even if they were given loose revenue targets to meet, they could have built the systems in a less shitty way.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You are generalizing, i will buy because despite not liking the way towers and krypt are being handled, the good outweights the bad for me.

Also, im not giving them a single dime for costumes and intros/outros, which is another choice. The game won't deny you any gameplay related content If you do not pay. If you had to hunt for moves, that would another story.
I'm not generalizing in any way. You fit directly into what I said: in your own words you don't care enough for it to bother you, and it won't affect you because you don't care about the content gated behind it.

Which is why stuff like this constantly makes it into games, people buy them regardless.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
the other way round, the whole single player content is busted. believe it or not, there are people buying these games for their single player stuff, they enjoy unlocking gear and doing their towers. NRS fighters especially have the reputation of good single player content in a fighting game

not everyone is interested in playing a fighting game online with involved lag and idiots spewing curses at you.

besides that, the whole balance of the game is affected because of those MTX stuff in place. if someone cares about the single player, the other games were better than this one.
Sure, and that's why I encourage people to.keep voicing their opinion instead of trivializing them. I have expressed my disappointment in these practices as soon as I learned about them, in part thanks to your posts :)

We should take it to Twitter and try to contact NRS, they are.known for listening to feedback. As long as people keep it civil, there shouldn't be a problem.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018

besides that, the whole balance of the game is affected because of those MTX stuff in place.

From what I understand it's just Towers of Time and the Krypt that are busted since they both feed off each other. You unlock gear and augments to use in Krypt, and then take that stuff to Towers of Time to unlock more gear and augments and currency, which you then take back to the Krypt, etc. The Klassic Towers are still balanced around not having gear and augments and using the default setups. It's the Towers of Time that feels punishing and unfair.

Shozuki

Mar 5, 2018
It's really sad, I'm still getting it and am hyped beyond belief. But it's a shame excessive monetisation is letting the game down, if I'm not mistaken they sold 11M copies of MKX which must have amassed a significant amount of cash...

Why isn't the word enough in their vocabulary...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's really sad, I'm still getting it and am hyped beyond belief. But it's a shame excessive monetisation is letting the game down, if I'm not mistaken they sold 11M copies of MKX which must have amassed a significant amount of cash...

Why isn't the word enough in their vocabulary...
They probably made a fortune with Injustice 2. And now we're stuck with fighting games where player 2 can't use costumes unlocked by player 1.

Jeez, SFV was downright benign in hindsight. See a costume you like? Buy it upfront and use it as you would in any other fighting game.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Augments are in Klassic Towers, Towers of Time, Local play and more.

Local play:
l2Gcm4A.jpg

Augments are there in modes that use Variations. Unless I've missed something in my play, those screenshots were pretty easy to find in my older footage.

Welp, that's that. Are there modes where those are restricted? A level playing field for online or local should I choose to play a vanilla version of the game?

I am in no way defending MTX, or the implementation of them in this game, as much as I am just seeing if there are options to play "normal" kombat online and locally.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Maybe someone can clear this up for me: I buy this game, I play the story mode and once I'm finished with that I jump straight into online play. Am I going to be at a disadvantage because I didn't grind out any gear/customisation stuff? Will I be coming up against people with buffs/armor/stronger moves? Or are all things equal in the online?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe someone can clear this up for me: I buy this game, I play the story mode and once I'm finished with that I jump straight into online play. Am I going to be at a disadvantage because I didn't grind out any gear/customisation stuff? Will I be coming up against people with buffs/armor/stronger moves? Or are all things equal in the online?

From what I understand most of the upgrades are cosmetic, but some unlocks do add new supers or moves that you will not have access to by default.

I think it's a trade off though, like you pick and choose abilities like a loadout in a CoD game(so you unlock those skills in the grind).

I think there are also gems you fit into armor that do provide minor situational buffs, but not sure how online handles those(or if they are mostly for towers).

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Nope, AFAIK these things aren't present in online play. They definitely aren't in ranked matches.
The only disadvantage you'll have will be for not hitting practice mode before jumping online :P

Chorazin

Nov 13, 2017
Lancaster County, PA, USA

Apparently online doesn't use the augments, so no, you'd be fine.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Ranked online forbids any stat altering stuff iirc.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
From what I understand it's just Towers of Time and the Krypt that are busted since they both feed off each other. You unlock gear and augments to use in Krypt, and then take that stuff to Towers of Time to unlock more gear and augments and currency, which you then take back to the Krypt, etc. The Klassic Towers are still balanced around not having gear and augments and using the default setups. It's the Towers of Time that feels punishing and unfair.

i have the game since thursday, i know

the normal klassic towers are fine difficulty wise, problem is you can only earn augments, consumables and koins there. no skins, no gear, no intros or winning poses and stuff.

so yeah, if someone cares about customization you have to play towers of time and get your head bashed in or getting annoyed by unfair modifiers which only apply to the player character and not the AI.

not to mention the fact that the towers of time should be the long lasting single player content because of the modifiers which keep the whole thing different and fresh. this should be a fun mode, not an overtuned grindfest which disrespects the players time.

i´ve played the Multiverse in IJ2 for months, i am done with the towers of time in this state, played maybe 25 of them and it is not good at all.

sandboxgod

Attempting to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
Saying the netcode is great without the game servers being hammered by thousands of players is hilarious.
These games are peer-to-peer. What you refer to is matchmaking which is not applicable to "netcode".

Assuming they bring over the netcode from IJ2, I'm expecting it to be sublime. No idea about server issues although they have a proven track record of this working on PS4 at least (I got both MKX and IJ2 at launch)

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I'm not even that affected by this.

The skins are the equivalent of IJ2 shaders. There's only like 4 actually unique costumes for each character. The gear is very limited too. A lot of the cast has 1 gear item that is completely insignificant or tiny on the model. The customization is a big step down from IJ2's creativity and open-endedness.

Even with a reduced grind and difficulty I dont think these modes are worth playing or the gear system worth a damn.

But its a real shame how they covered it up til release. Boon himself has lied about there not being loot boxes in the game. As a MK fan, thats what disappoints me the most

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It is a shame. I do recall Boon talking about WB basically forcing that shit on them which is really sad as the actual game itself is top notch

Do you have a sources for this?

Edit: And yeah, outlets calling them out on the grind is good to see. I know it's not Boon's fault as he was probably forced to put that shit in, so I hope those responsible take notice somehow (they won't and will blame something else instead).

So you know it wasn't his fault but, but then say he was probably forced? You're making a big claim here based on an admitted assumption.

Youd think after making the same game for 30 years Ed Boon would have enough clout to not be "forced by WB" to make the game grindy

Yes, I would totally think that.

Everyone keeps pushing the narrative that the helpless NRS devs were forced to add 7 layers of in-game currency and pad out this game this way as if Mr. MK himself had to sit by tied up as WB stood over his programmers adding all these requirements and modifiers.

We're talking about a guy who in a recent interview said his dream game was a persistent online game where players would be too scared to go offline and stop playing. And we wonder how this online-only Krypt and Towers of Time time sink grind got greenlit?

People need to stoip giving NRS and Boon the pass on these systems, because there's no proof they're angels out for the players' best interest with WB forcing them to do this stuff.

Basically. Can't believe people still trot this out. Devs want money too. There's little difference between devs and publishers when it comes to profit motives. The game is a grind, cynical mess because NRS wanted to make extra money off that as much as WB did, in all likelihood.

Exactly.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018

No disadvantage at all. Unless you don't hit the dojo first between the story and MP to practice up.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
i have the game since thursday, i know

the normal klassic towers are fine difficulty wise, problem is you can only earn augments, consumables and koins there. no skins, no gear, no intros or winning poses and stuff.

so yeah, if someone cares about customization you have to play towers of time and get your head bashed in or getting annoyed by unfair modifiers which only apply to the player character and not the AI.

not to mention the fact that the towers of time should be the long lasting single player content because of the modifiers which keep the whole thing different and fresh. this should be a fun mode, not an overtuned grindfest which disrespects the players time.

i´ve played the Multiverse in IJ2 for months, i am done with the towers of time in this state, played maybe 25 of them and it is not good at all.

so do you unlock skins and such in the singleplayer modes (towers, krypt) that can be used online? or are the unlockables from these modes only used in the singleplayer modes?

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I'm not generalizing in any way. You fit directly into what I said: in your own words you don't care enough for it to bother you, and it won't affect you because you don't care about the content gated behind it.

Which is why stuff like this constantly makes it into games, people buy them regardless.
I do care, It bothers me and i wanted to customize my characters without major frustration, those are negatives and if someone ask me i will point those, but there are many good aspects i want to experience. As i said, it's about weighing the positive and the negative.

And the whole monetization part will only be good for them If people actually drop money on It. If i pay for the base game and do not buy extra stuff online, the whole plan to extract extra money falls flat.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm not even that affected by this.

The skins are the equivalent of IJ2 shaders. There's only like 4 actually unique costumes for each character. The gear is very limited too. A lot of the cast has 1 gear item that is completely insignificant or tiny on the model. The customization is a big step down from IJ2's creativity and open-endedness.

Even with a reduced grind and difficulty I dont think these modes are worth playing or the gear system worth a damn.

But its a real shame how they covered it up til release. Boon himself has lied about there not being loot boxes in the game. As a MK fan, thats what disappoints me the most

He was asked about " if loot boxes are in" , and he said "no".
Are there any loot boxes ? no ? You dont buy any boxes or boxes gives you items.
You just buy virtual coin of game to buy things from Krypt like forever last game had this too

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I don't believe they touch online play. I'd have to check.

It's rather easy to check because Sub-Zero's Ice Ball does no damage, but I have an old augment that makes it do 20 damage. So I just have two variations I swap back and forth between to test.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
please be aware that the crystal MTX prices and shop ARE NOT LIVE YET.

this is the shadiest thing, you can bet the cosmetics will cost enough because reviews are out now and the shop isn´t even in the game lol...they really were prepared for everything. reviews are out and AFTER that they will activate the crystal stuff in the "premium store". so, this aspect isn´t even mentioned in most reviews because prices are still unknown.

exactly the Call of Duty way, introduce MTX after the reviews are already done.

so do you unlock skins and such in the singleplayer modes (towers, krypt) that can be used online? or are the unlockables from these modes only used in the singleplayer modes?

skins and intros and stuff can be used online, sure

if you don´t care about cosmetics it doesn´t matter, if you care about them, it is a lot to grind. Krypt is random loot and you have to grind out characters specific towers that you can activate for Koins if you want something for your main char for example.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
He was asked about " if loot boxes are in" , and he said "no".
Are there any loot boxes ? no ? You dont buy any boxes or boxes gives you items.
You just buy virtual coin of game to buy things from Krypt like forever last game had this too

The Krypt has never been randomly generated before. Unless you count the gambling in MKX.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I was pretty hyped to get this tomorrow but I think I'll wait for NRS to fix the awful grind. Not looking good at all.