• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
He was asked about " if loot boxes are in" , and he said "no".
Are there any loot boxes ? no ? You dont buy any boxes or boxes gives you items.
You just buy virtual coin of game to buy things from Krypt like forever last game had this too
He specifically said
Any comment on what microtransactions will look like in MK11?

Yeah. Well, I guess you know, we absolutely divorced gameplay from any kind of advantages you could get. We really wanted to have it so you can't buy your way to a better character. And honestly, for this game, we're veering away from [that], we're not gonna have loot boxes or anything like that. So, that's big--it's more of an industry direction than it is a fighting game or Mortal Kombat direction. I think the loot boxes worked fine in Injustice because it didn't affect the gameplay and whatnot. But at the same time, we're just kind of steering away from it.
They're lootboxes in everything but name so him saying "or anything like that" then yeah, they're lootboxes.

Him saying it's an "industry direction rather than a fighting game or MK direction" says a lot.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The Krypt has never been randomly generated before. Unless you count the gambling in MKX.

the gambling is also there, you can donate Koins to a statue that spits out an item as a "prize". it is a straight up slot machine. for people with addiction problems, the Krypt is for sure something...lootboxes en masse and on top a slot machine.

He specifically said

They're lootboxes in everything but name so him saying "or anything like that" then yeah, they're lootboxes.

Him saying it's an "industry direction rather than a fighting game or MK direction" says a lot.

the Krypt is a lootbox paradise, you earn Koins to spent in the Krypt on hundreds of boxes. it is the same as getting lootboxes directly, just with a middleman step in between...

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Random chests that can be bought with premium currencies = totally not lootboxes because the developer said they're not.
---

Both IGN and GameXplain mention Rousey's acting being bad, lol.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe they touch online play. I'd have to check.

It's rather easy to check because Sub-Zero's Ice Ball does no damage, but I have an old augment that makes it do 20 damage. So I just have two variations I swap back and forth between to test.

Yeah, just checked. Augments don't seem to do anything in online on Kasual. I assume the same is true for Ranked.

They do touch Local play, Towers of Time, and Klassic Towers, as I mentioned before. Don't see an option to turn Augments off for Local play. I assume AI Battle uses them.

Tournament only allows the Default Kompetitive Variations.

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
He was asked about " if loot boxes are in" , and he said "no".
Are there any loot boxes ? no ? You dont buy any boxes or boxes gives you items.
You just buy virtual coin of game to buy things from Krypt like forever last game had this too

They Krypt is full of loot boxes (i.e. random rewards). You can't pay for them directly, but WB/NRS give you the ability to bypass those and get the items you hoped would be in there for real money if you get frustrated.

So "no paid loot boxes" may be a technically correct claim, but it's a very disingenuous one when the same principles and psychology are potentially at play and is designed to drive you toward microtransactions.

Basically, any time there are random rewards with sort sort of secondary option to pay for those rewards or bypass the randomness, it opens of the door for the same sort of psychological manipulation.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I do care, It bothers me and i wanted to customize my characters without major frustration, those are negatives and if someone ask me i will point those, but there are many good aspects i want to experience. As i said, it's about weighing the positive and the negative.

And the whole monetization part will only be good for them If people actually drop money on It. If i pay for the base game and do not buy extra stuff online, the whole plan to extract extra money falls flat.

You're arguing semantics here. My point was that people don't care enough and that they will ignore it if it doesnt' affect them enough, and you literally said that in your own words "the good outweights the bad for me.".

The issue is there, staring us blankly in the face. It's a scummy, insidious, anti-consumer issue that permeates far too much of this industry. And yet people support games that contain these things because, as you said, "the good outweights the bad".

This is not an attack on people like you or an attempt to shame anyone, it's the reality of the situation. People will continue to prop up these issues because they're not affected enough.

Me not buying it day 1 is almost certainly going to have 0 effect, the game is going to sell well because the core game is apparently fantastic. It's a shame that there's no real solution to this, it's unrealistic to expect those who don't care enough/aren't affected to keep their wallets closed. And buying the game and ignoring the MTX and issues will still give the game exposure to the people around you, the chatter you help generate online, which brings more people in to be exposed to the system in question.

We can only hope the reviews will be enough to force their hand, this game looks like it deserves higher. Perhaps they had their sites on a specific MC score and will take action based on that alone, but it's probably more likely they won't.

Until they do or until the game goes on sale with a huge discount and I can buy it and play the story and just ignore the Tower mode, I'm not buying it. And i was set to buy it day 1.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
the Krypt is a lootbox paradise, you earn Koins to spent in the Krypt on hundreds of boxes. it is the same as getting lootboxes directly, just with a middleman step in between...
Yep, it's lootboxes lol. They can call them "Krypts", "Kaskets, "Kombat Kores", "Mortal Mechanisms" or "Silver Souls" and it would be the same thing. The name and the conduit in which you get them doesn't matter.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Shame about the krypt being random. I remember in previous games I'd just find what I want and save koins for those specifically.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
i have the game since thursday, i know

the normal klassic towers are fine difficulty wise, problem is you can only earn augments, consumables and koins there. no skins, no gear, no intros or winning poses and stuff.

so yeah, if someone cares about customization you have to play towers of time and get your head bashed in or getting annoyed by unfair modifiers which only apply to the player character and not the AI.

not to mention the fact that the towers of time should be the long lasting single player content because of the modifiers which keep the whole thing different and fresh. this should be a fun mode, not an overtuned grindfest which disrespects the players time.

i´ve played the Multiverse in IJ2 for months, i am done with the towers of time in this state, played maybe 25 of them and it is not good at all.

Thanks for clarifying. And yeah that absolutely sucks for anyone who doesn't play online. It doesn't affect me too much because all I do is play ranked and do sets with my friends IRL so I can go to locals, but this system is a huge slap in the face to their casual audience IE the majority of the people who buy this game.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for clarifying. And yeah that absolutely sucks for anyone who doesn't play online. It doesn't affect me too much because all I do is play ranked and do sets with my friends IRL so I can go to locals, but this system is a huge slap in the face to their casual audience IE the majority of the people who buy this game.

If you play ranked and don't care about the unlockables, then MK 11 should be great for you.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should move away from "casual" being the language to denote SP players.

Many SP players would play a game like this just as often and put just as many hours into it as online players.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda weird how MK went from the "mega-SP gaming experience" to something that helps more FGC people than others.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I see. The lower reviews are mentioning the grindy sp modes we were talking about on friday.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
You're arguing semantics here. My point was that people don't care enough and that they will ignore it if it doesnt' affect them enough, and you literally said that in your own words "the good outweights the bad for me.".

The issue is there, staring us blankly in the face. It's a scummy, insidious, anti-consumer issue that permeates far too much of this industry. And yet people support games that contain these things because, as you said, "the good outweights the bad".

This is not an attack on people like you or an attempt to shame anyone, it's the reality of the situation. People will continue to prop up these issues because they're not affected enough.

Me not buying it day 1 is almost certainly going to have 0 effect, the game is going to sell well because the core game is apparently fantastic. It's a shame that there's no real solution to this, it's unrealistic to expect those who don't care enough/aren't affected to keep their wallets closed. And buying the game and ignoring the MTX and issues will still give the game exposure to the people around you, the chatter you help generate online, which brings more people in to be exposed to the system in question.

We can only hope the reviews will be enough to force their hand, this game looks like it deserves higher. Perhaps they had their sites on a specific MC score and will take action based on that alone, but it's probably more likely they won't.

Until they do or until the game goes on sale with a huge discount and I can buy it and play the story and just ignore the Tower mode, I'm not buying it. And i was set to buy it day 1.

Any game has it's negatives, some more than others, and despite that, It can sell well, and at the same time be improved upon in the next installment If the critics are impactful enough. I think that even If the game sells well, they will re-think their practices If they get stormed by negative feedback. They already hurt themselves regardless, now people will be much more aware when they announce their next project, be It Injustice 3 or something else. We already saw devs paying the price for insisting on bad stuff.

Oct 29, 2017
This game just went from a day 1 purchase to a "maybe on sale". Or if there is another EA style last minute panic patch but I dont think there is enough outcry for that to happen.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I think we should discuss whether the game would be better off just not having the content that is locked behind the grind to begin with. I'm assuming they can't afford to develop all of this content without their monetization/grind in place.

MPrza

Oct 30, 2017
As probably already mentioned, was going to day one this but the reveal of the grindy aspects changed that. Will wait for a deep discount in maybe a year from now before jumping in.

I don't have time as a family man with a full time job to spend countless hours in the grind nor do I want to spend anymore money than the 100 I was originally planning to spend on the fighter's pack bundle.

Einhandr

Oct 27, 2017
That is such fucking horseshit. Like seriously, what is the reason for this?

From what I've been following for the past week since the first copies leaked, the game pings the servers for pretty much everything and validates your unlocks. If you're offline you can't even save custom variations. It's a GaaS title through and through for better or worse.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can't pay for them directly, but WB/NRS give you the ability to bypass those and get the items you hoped would be in there for real money if you get frustrated.

Doesn't look like that either. Premium store just unlocked and at least for now there is no way to buy time crystals directly and they only offer two skins per 24 hours. So you still have to grind for those time crystals in the game and the skins you like might not be available to buy for several months. And if you miss it on the day it is available just wait several months more until it is by chance available again...

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think we should discuss whether the game would be better off just not having the content that is locked behind the grind to begin with. I'm assuming they can't afford to develop all of this content without their monetization/grind in place.

They sold 11 million copies of the last MK game, so I dunno.

Doesn't look like that either. Premium store just unlocked and at least for now there is no way to buy time crystals directly and they only offer two skins per 24 hours. So you still have to grind for those time crystals in the game and the skins you like might not be available to buy for several of months. And if you miss it on the day it is available just wait several months more until it is by chance available again...

This is getting weirder and weirder.

It's like they're literally trying to make it take a year to unlock most everything.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Question: IGN put a video on their YT channel with all MK 11's cutscenes, they call it MK11 movie. Is that legal? Is that something a legitimate site should/can do?

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have time as a family man with a full time job to spend countless hours in the grind nor do I want to spend anymore money than the 100 I was originally planning to spend on the fighter's pack bundle.
That's real shit.

I've got a career myself that I spend time dedicated to so me grinding constantly probably isn't gonna happen as much as I'd need to. I've always enjoyed unlocking everything in Krypt so this might be the first MK that I never unlock everything.

Oct 28, 2017
Probably so people don't use cheats to bypass the MTX/grind.
From what I've been following for the past week since the first copies leaked, the game pings the servers for pretty much everything and validates your unlocks. If you're offline you can't even save custom variations. It's a GaaS title through and through for better or worse.
They want to sell you cheats.
This is pushing all my buttons. Sigh.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Question: IGN put a video on their YT channel with all MK 11's cutscenes, they call it MK11 movie. Is that legal? Is that something a legitimate site should/can do?
Honestly, they probably are less likely to get a copyright strike unlike any other Youtuber who does the same thing. Its a bit weird that they didn't wait until yesterday though.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
"This can't be true"

Holy shit... yeah. That like... shouldn't be coming out of a major publication. Some random dude on YouTube? Sure... but IGN? Hahaha. Maaaan, NR or WB can't be pleased with that. It's like Atlus's fears come to life, lol.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Not bad. About what I was expecting. Best of all, GameFly shipped it out to me today so I should have it within a few days. Looking forward to playing through the story campaign.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
"This can't be true"

Holy shit... yeah. That like... shouldn't be coming out of a major publication. Some random dude on YouTube? Sure... but IGN? Hahaha. Maaaan, NR or WB can't be pleased with that. It's like Atlus's fears come to life, lol.
They've been doing that for awhile crazily enough

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Honestly, no youtube video game related content has really been put to the test in the courts (as far as I'm aware anyway).

I will say though, I think it's one thing for individuals to do this after a game has released (or even for a big company like IGN to do this sometime after the game has released) but there is something... weird to me about an IGN posting the entire story the day before the game's release. One has to believe that WB/NR considered this when making their NDAs for this game but it's just weird that they would be okay with this considering that there's a probably not insignificant number of people buying this game purely for the story. I guess for anyone looking to boycott the game, IGN has your hookup for the story at least. lol

sephi22

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have the game since Thursday. 16 hours in I'm profile level 40 and have saved up 550 time crystals.

One skin takes 500....yikes

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm personally nonplussed because it's mostly just cosmetics that are locked away behind this nonsense and while I agree it's grindy and annoying, it does nothing to mitigate the generous SP aspects that just about every other fighter from this generation has opted to largely ignore or regulate to the backburner.

That said, I certainly think feedback from the community is key here because NRS has a history of listening to their fanbase and I sincerely believe if enough of us voice our complaints, we may see some modifications sooner rather than later.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Any X/ Pro comparisons? Probably going with Pro due to controller unless there are major differences.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
How is the gameplay/animation/feel of the game compared to X?
Since most people are too busy to answer you i will
Light years ahead of MKX. Stances feels like actual fighters instead of dancers , gameplay is solid based on footsies a little bit slower. Think like chess. Animation of fatalities are much better and executed better. Feel is great , stages are colorful af. designs are not overdesigned like MKX.