• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
I don't want to alarm ya'll but TER is probably Nimbus Terrafaux

latest

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
While it's not likely since Netherealm usually don't have guest charcters as DLC

TER could be Terminator

theterminator.0.jpg

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Noob or Rain would suck big time but Frost would definitely make up for it. That being said, there's some characters not listed here who I just don't see missing out. Like Shang Tsung for example. I know Steam databases don't lie but I can't help but feel like there's more to this than meets the eye.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
No Noob or Rain would suck big time but Frost would definitely make up for it. That being said, there's some characters not listed here who I just don't see missing out. Like Shang Tsung for example. I know Steam databases don't lie but I can't help but feel like there's more to this than meets the eye.

Not all of the Steam achievements are listed on there yet; Shang could still very well be in.

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
Interesting! So this is our potential roster:

1. Scorpion
  2. Raiden
  3. Sub-Zero
  4. Baraka
  5. Sonya
  6. Skarlet
  7. Geras
  8. Kano
  9. Kabal
  10. D'Vorah
  11. Liu Kang
  12. Kung Lao
  13. Kitana
  14. Cassie Cage
  15. Rain
  16. Noob Saibot
  17. Johnny Cage
  18. Erron Black
  19. Jade
  20. Frost
  21. Kotal Kahn
  22. Jacqui
  23. "Kol"
  24. "Cet"
  25. "Ter"
  26. Shao Kahn
I'm glad we're getting a few other new characters after all.
Oh god, no Reptile, no Smoke, No Shang Tsung, No Ermac and 5 MKX characters back. :(

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
While it's not likely since Netherealm usually don't have guest charcters as DLC

TER could be Terminator

theterminator.0.jpg

I think you're right. Terminator was one of the poll options way back.
I think he's in.

The question is, if Terminator is in, what does his design look like? Is he just a late 80' Arnold? Or is it the actual machine without the skin suit?
Maybe you can have variations of both?
I would say they can have a variation where his eye and skin is torn up like the movie but that would be too much like Kano I think

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I think you're right. Terminator was one of the poll options way back.
I think he's in.

The question is, if Terminator is in, what does his design look like? Is he just a late 80' Arnold? Or is it the actual machine without the skin suit?
Maybe you can have variations of both?
I would say they can have a variation where his eye and skin is torn up like the movie but that would be too much like Kano I think
Variations aka both

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay guys, stay with me here.

One of the characters is TER.

Boon stated in an interview during the reveal event that they have a big surprise in store for us regarding whos face theyre using for one of the characters. The rumor around this so far has been the actor from the MK movie returning as Shang Tsung. But it's just that, an unsubstantiated rumor.

They wanted Terminator in MKX.

https://bgr.com/2015/08/26/arnold-schwarzenegger-terminator-mortal-kombat-x/
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mortal-kombat-x-dev-considered-terminator-and-mich/1100-6432839/

What if it it isn't Shang Tsung, but Terminator using Arny's face?

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Okay guys, stay with me here.

One of the characters is TER.

Boon stated in an interview during the reveal event that they have a big surprise in store for us regarding whos face theyre using for one of the characters. The rumor around this so far has been the actor from the MK movie returning as Shang Tsung.

They wanted Terminator in MKX.

https://bgr.com/2015/08/26/arnold-schwarzenegger-terminator-mortal-kombat-x/
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/mortal-kombat-x-dev-considered-terminator-and-mich/1100-6432839/

What if it it isn't Shang Tsung, but Terminator using Arny's face?

I'm pretty sure he'd be DLC and not in the base roster.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Someone on Gaf or resetera I don't remember at this point said they also wanted Terminator for Injustice 2, but for w/e reason couldn't and we ended up with turtles instead.

So 3rd time is the charm?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

1. Scorpion
  2. Raiden
  3. Sub-Zero
  4. Baraka
  5. Sonya
  6. Skarlet
  7. Geras
  8. Kano
  9. Kabal
  10. D'Vorah
  11. Liu Kang
  12. Kung Lao
  13. Kitana
  14. Cassie Cage
  15. Rain
  16. Noob Saibot
  17. Johnny Cage
  18. Erron Black
  19. Jade
  20. Frost
  21. Kotal Kahn
  22. Jacqui
  23. "Kol"
  24. "Cet"
  25. "Ter"
  26. Shao Kahn
The lack of Mileena is making me nervous. C'mon Boon, put her in.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Im gonna wait and drink tea.

I would be fine with the roster and names are just names for me.

Even a character like Jacqui could become pretty awesome with a overhaul so im gonna wait and see.

Im glad they dont totally abandon MKX characters because whats the point of them if you dont bring any back.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was fine with Ermac and Reptile missing 11 because I was so sure Noob, Rain and/or Smoke would make it instead, but now there's a chance we might not get any of them. Fuck I'm so bummed out right now.

Cyros

Oct 27, 2017
Returning characters I was hoping for:

Noob
Kotal
Jacqui
Frost

These leaks have me excited.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im gonna wait and drink tea.

I would be fine with the roster and names are just names for me.

Even a character like Jacqui could become pretty awesome with a overhaul so im gonna wait and see.

Im glad they dont totally abandon MKX characters because whats the point of them if you dont bring any back.
tumblr_nnmx8sNuC81s6ajvbo1_r1_500.gif

MK games always have some popular fan favorites sitting out, and some dark horse candidates making it in. I'm in regardless, but we'll see how it all pans out.

I'm sure quite a few will be DLC this go-around.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
The roster is already...controversial, but if shit like terminator makes it into the base roster while leaving classic characters out this will be the worst roster MK has had since the PS2 days.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I was fine with Ermac and Reptile missing 11 because I was so sure Noob, Rain and/or Smoke would make it instead, but now there's a chance we might not get any of them. Fuck I'm so bummed out right now.
Noob has been hinted at in leaks and kinda (maybe) by Boon. Rain is rumoured but I don't think anybody knows.
I think Smoke was mentioned in leaks that included the names of the new characters which are confirmed, but those leaks have been right and wrong in random places, which makes me feel like they're intentionally misleading.
Ermac is almost certainly not appearing, sadly, and Reptile is rumoured to be skipping his first entry since 3 (which he was added back into anyway).

Hopefully all of the above make it in regardless. I need my ninjas.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's not just old games really. Look up the remakes that were being worked on. Brand new actors being redigitized so the visuals were gonna be completely revamped. I would be fine if it were just UMK3 in this vein lol.

It is a tale from my ass and personal opinion but what I think we are getting:

A Krypt that actually plays like a first person RPG
Why? Well for one NRS had a job posting up a few years ago looking for people with experience in that field. It would be a good way of continuing and expanding upon MKX's Krypt experience and it would make going to the Krypt a more fun experience. Plus, that trophy set that leaked mentioned walking 5 miles in the Krypt so it must be HUGE.
I would be on board with an expanded Krypt experience. Their story mode is already best in the genre anyway, so a Krypt with actual gameplay would probably be awesome. Wouldn't mind if they had a Konquest mode as well or instead of the expanded Krypt.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of it most definitely did. Their family is front and centre in the story mode. Jacqui's is not. I don't think this is even up for debate.

Front and Center? I don't see it. There was very little time the cage family was together. It was only after the flashback sequences did it start in the modern times but once the Kids all went to outworld that was it. I would say the storylines in game (not comic books) of Kotal and D'vorah/Ermac/Reptile were more developed than the Cage family. Hell I'd even say Kenshi and Takeda had better development in game vs Cassie and her parents.

The Kitana/Jade one is definitely better, but I think Cassie is on track to fulfill the same role in Mortal Kombat as Jin does in Tekken. Memorable new generation character, with a set of high profile parents (Cassie even more so than Jin). They're both examples of great "new generation" kids in their respective series, who not only tie in more heavily with the plot but are also good on their own. Jacqui is more like Lars in the sense that while not a bad character, they pale in comparison to the aforementioned ones, with very shallow ties to their fathers lore wise.

Both Lars and Kitana have memorable character design though. Jacqui looks pretty generic in comparison. Again, I don't dislike her and I'm all for improving her character if she returns. Just saying my opinion on how she comes off in MKX.

I disagree with you analogy of Jin again because if this was indeed a Jin scenario I would have no problem. The main difference is: Neither Kazuya or Jun were in the game when Jin was introduced. Jin replaced both of those characters. Had Cassie been an actual replacement of Sonya and Johnny then I would 100% have no problem. The fact Sonya is already in MKX and this game is why Cassie to me is not needed. And when they decided to bring Kazuya back in T4 they went as far as to completely throw away any moves that Jin had in common with Kazuya. Unlike Jin, Cassie remained secondary to Sonya and Johnny.

And secondly, I don't deny that Jacquie had nothing memorable about her portrayal in MKX, but neither did Cassie. Unlike Jin whose movelist was combo's had some of the greatest spectacle in Tekken 3 and Tag. Jin also had all of the marketing, Arcade CG intro's, mid-game Enbu's, the highest budget endings dedicated to him across both T3 and T4 when he was introduced. Cassie has nothing to make her deserving of being MK's analogue for Jin.

She has some memorable moves from her parents, along with those fatalities, which is at least one step above having generic kicks, punches and grabs. We've also seen Sonya being changed a lot, and as others have speculated it wouldn't be too surprising if Cassie ends up inheriting some of her mother's older moves as a result.

Out of the kombat kids, Kung Jin is the only one to offer something more unique (probably because he has no parent or teacher to inherit tweaked moves from).

But still, I think the balance of Cassie's moves from her parents is good. It reminds me of Jin in Tekken 3 (which eventually evolved into Devil Jin as Jin adopted Karate from Tekken 4 onwards). Like I said, I can see Cassie going in a similar direction. Things have been set up very nicely for her to keep growing, and that can sadly not be said about either Jacqui or Takeda. Of course, they could totally mess up and have Cassie go absolutely nowhere from here, but right now it makes more sense to have her be the most prominent out of the four kids.

Like you say the memorable moves she had are the moves which belong to her parents, one of them is already a confirmed character. You also go to say they can implement other memorable moves into her movelist. Why can't you say the same about any other character? Why does it have to be Cassie? She isn't a central character like Jin in Tekken or like Raiden/Scorpion/Liu Kang/Kano. I do agree 100% they right all the wrongs with Cassie's bare-bones and copy-cat design in MKX but I would much rather prefer that effort gone into a new character or an existing character from a racial a minority that's always fighting for scraps in this genre. So I wouldn't be having this conversation if Sonya was not in this game.

In general I agree with you as far Cassie is overall had more effort put into her vs any of the other female non outworld new characters in MKX. But I don't feel that alone should give her a free pass. Ideally I would want a new character, but if I had to choose, I'd like one whose racial and gameplay archetype wasn't already represented in the game.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a single player mode to blow people's minds would be just the old games. I'm hoping it's something closer to what Konquest was.
What about a konquest mode made with upgraded HD assets from the old games? Know what I mean, like the old games with the digitized pictures upped to HD and then in a side scrolling Subzero Mythologies type game - except not crap.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC

1. Scorpion
  2. Raiden
  3. Sub-Zero
  4. Baraka
  5. Sonya
  6. Skarlet
  7. Geras
  8. Kano
  9. Kabal
  10. D'Vorah
  11. Liu Kang
  12. Kung Lao
  13. Kitana
  14. Cassie Cage
  15. Rain
  16. Noob Saibot
  17. Johnny Cage
  18. Erron Black
  19. Jade
  20. Frost
  21. Kotal Kahn
  22. Jacqui
  23. "Kol"
  24. "Cet"
  25. "Ter"
  26. Shao Kahn

Wow, Fujin is NEVER getting in as long as Boon has a say lol

Edit: No Reptile in that list either?? People are definately not going to like that as hes like #3 most popular ninja (as long as they don't make him look stupid and give him a tail or shit like that)

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

1. Scorpion
  2. Raiden
  3. Sub-Zero
  4. Baraka
  5. Sonya
  6. Skarlet
  7. Geras
  8. Kano
  9. Kabal
  10. D'Vorah
  11. Liu Kang
  12. Kung Lao
  13. Kitana
  14. Cassie Cage
  15. Rain
  16. Noob Saibot
  17. Johnny Cage
  18. Erron Black
  19. Jade
  20. Frost
  21. Kotal Kahn
  22. Jacqui
  23. "Kol"
  24. "Cet"
  25. "Ter"
  26. Shao Kahn

Leaving out reptile is some bullshit.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's not just old games really. Look up the remakes that were being worked on. Brand new actors being redigitized so the visuals were gonna be completely revamped. I would be fine if it were just UMK3 in this vein lol.

It is a tale from my ass and personal opinion but what I think we are getting:

A Krypt that actually plays like a first person RPG
Why? Well for one NRS had a job posting up a few years ago looking for people with experience in that field. It would be a good way of continuing and expanding upon MKX's Krypt experience and it would make going to the Krypt a more fun experience. Plus, that trophy set that leaked mentioned walking 5 miles in the Krypt so it must be HUGE.
I thought that hiring position was more recent for an upcoming game? When did you see that posted?
We are really about to have an MK game without a proper sorcerer (Shang Tsung, Ermac, Quan Chi).

BUT OH BOY, THANK GOD WE HAVE TWO SUB-ZEROES.
How do you know one of the new characters isn't a sorcerer?

And I'm glad Frost is back. I thought there was a solid possibility cause Sub Zero is missing the ice clone in his moveset.
Excited to see her redesign and how different she'll be from Sub .

I'm sad there's no Ermac and seemingly Reptile. Also at least one Cyborg would've been nice. At least Triborg
DLC to the rescue.
One of the achievements:

TROPHY_ID_DEFEAT_OPPONENT_WHILE_DVORAH_BUG

WHAT??
This sounds cool.

I'm thinking there will be 10~12 DLC characters. Remember Ed Boon said in an interview that they'd be releasing characters well into 2018, but that didn't happen. So what I'm thinking is that if this game becomes super popular compared to previous NRS games then perhaps they'll support it longer. It's possible that they'll even do two to three Kombat Packs depending on the demand for it (probably just two, but let's hope for more).

DLC

Noob Saibot
Shang Tsung
Smoke
Ermac
Reptile
Khameleon
Tremor (I hope, but doubt it)
Sheeva
Sindel
Terminator
Spawn (I think he sucks, but we know he's gonna be in this one according to McFarlane)
Pennywise (I think the movie wasn't scary and he's stupid, but I've got a feeling he'll be in because of marketing reasons for WB)

Last edited:

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Looking like Jax is gone for this game. Erron's deed in MKX Arcade appears canon.

I'm expecting him and Sindel to be DLC. Or he's a hidden character.

OP
OP
Sento

Sento

Nov 1, 2017
LOL @ no Fujin, Reiko, Havik, Noob, Rain, Sindel etc.
This is worse than MKX.

Status
Not open for further replies.