• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Plan on smashing buttons until your fingers bleed if you want all of the available skins in Mortal Kombat 11 without paying real money.

Mortal Kombat 11 hit consoles and PC this week, and there are plenty of different skins you can use to change the looks of your favorite fighter.

However, it will cost you plenty if you want to acquire every skin available in the game: there are 23 characters presently, and each offer 60 different skins.

Over on reddit, user AccomplishedPoet8 crunched some numbers, and according to the math, it will cost you $6,440 in real-money to buy every skin currently available (thanks, PlayStation LifeStyle).

But, you still may not get the skin you want as they appear on a rotational basis. Every six to eight hours a new set of five skins will become available on the store. Once they leave the store, well, prepare yourself for a grindfest.

As AccomplishedPoet8 notes, the math doesn't take into account fatalities, brutalities, gear or single use consumables due to the drop rate being unknown. It also doesn't take into account DLC character skins.

He goes on to say he earned 760 Time Krystals after playing the game four hours. If he wanted to unlock every game skin through gameplay alone, it would take 3,390 hours of playtime and cost 644,000 Time Krystals.

In comparison, throwing $40 at the Mortal Kombat X in-game store would net you DLC characters, skins, brutalities, and the easy fatalities pack.

Yikes.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/04/24/mortal-kombat-11-skin-price-6440/

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Suddenly my recent Sims 4 DLC buying spree seems like a perfectly logical thing.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they did it right - plenty of options for people to get the exact look they want. When you have that many skins it's not about "buying them all", it's about creating your personal look.

Kimchi_Breath

Oct 25, 2017
Skins are only available for a few hours once and never rotated back for sale ever again? That can't be right.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Why are people viewing this as a bad thing? That's what, more than 1200 skins? Do skins do anything but look different? If not, then there's no need to "catch them all". You earn the skins you want for the characters you play.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is a poor attempt at drumming up outrage. You can unlock skins and cosmetics hand over fist if you just play the damn game. Even just going through the story mode nets you a pretty decent chunk of cosmetic unlocks.

J Snow

Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy them. It's like complaining all the SKUs and items in a Target total $5M or something.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Most of them just look like color changes. And you're obviously not supposed to fork over cash for all of them. I don't have an issue with this.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except you can only buy a few at a time ala Fortnite and the inventory rotates. So if you wanted to purchase every skin in this way you would need to wait until they all rotated around. During this time you would likely be playing the game and unlocking stuff the regular way.

Unless there's something major I've missed playing the game over the last day or so, the outrage over this mostly seems like attention grabbing.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not bothered by it to be honest with you.

I will say the game is greedy AF which annoys me

Oct 29, 2017
71OQaYbGtHL._SX425_.jpg

+

1.jpg

= Everyone defending or dismissing this shit.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The whole unlock system is designed for this.

Takes forever and is random. If someone caves in and sees stuff they want and just buys it NRS/WB got what they wanted. Making people pay real money for content in the game.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
3390 hours of progression to unlock COLORS.

I promised myself to not buy MK11 before finishing Assassin's Creed Unity. Now... I'm not really interested anymore.

How on Earth did someone thought this is ok?

The amount of money, hours, the unpleasant progression..... destroys absolutely everything that the game does great.

I guess this is what it means to sell your soul to the devil.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
How many skins does WB want to actually sell you, though? I have to imagine the thought is that the average player only has a few characters they play, and will buy at most a handful of skins for each of those. I doubt anyone is actually buying a thousand skins.

That said, I hate time-limited microtransactions. The MK store sounds a lot like the Fortnite store, which only lets you buy a handful of things at any time. The idea seems to be to get people checking the store daily, and springing for anything they like due to fear of missing out. It's pretty manipulative, and I have less respect for any game that does it.

Regardless of how significant this really is, it's still a bit sad that things like simple color variations are being framed as skins that can be bought for premium currency. It's just a way to inflate the apparent content of the game.

Before MTX it was taken for granted that a decent fighting game would have a few different colors per character without those being considered something which could or should be monetized beyond what was already a full priced game.

For the record I can forgive premium skins for characters that are created after the game ships and involve modeling and animating a fully alternate version of the character. Cosmetics in general though have become a pretty scummy realm of nickle and dime mentality.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
how anyone gonna buy all those skins anyway or all the recolors, may probably buy one for noob saibot and thats all

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Suddenly, DoA's costume DLC packs no longer seem that bad.
These aren't even DLC pack skins. These are the 3 or 4 skins that come with the game and their re-colors. DOA6 has at least 6-10 of them in the base game and all you have to do is play for a couple of hours with each character to get all of them now. This shit in MK11 is random too you cant target specific characters.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly It would probably be faster to unlock the majority of them through normal play than to buy them for real money due to the way the shop works.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
This is what happens when consumers stand idly by and support poor practices because of brand loyalty and believing that pubs and devs deserve more than them as consumers, forgetting that without consumers, these companies wouldn't even exist, voting with your wallet is a real and effective thing but it rarely ever happens because people can't resist the purchase.

However when people have voted with their wallets (Battlefront 2, Batman AK on PC) it works!

It's simple really, if you don't want this stuff happening then don't buy the games and support it, back before MTX garbage it wasn't skin grindfests, it was rewarding systems and lots of content in the base game that was easy to access.

I remember many years ago people said practices like this would never happen in the AAA space because consumers wouldn't allow it and now here we sit, mobile game FTP MTX models in full priced games.

Between this and watching people support EGS on PC and freely give away their consumer choice I can't figure out what the heck is going on anymore, seems like people just want to get screwed over at this point.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing, there are people who totally do that (the so called whales). I have a friend that has every League of Legends character and at least one paid skin for each one.

At least LoL is f2p and will be supported long term. MK11 support is gonna get dropped in 2 years when IJ3 becomes the new focus for NRS

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they at least give me the option to pay $2,999 to unlock everything in the krypt. I'm not grinding that stuff out.

Status
Not open for further replies.