• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I hope someone links the Kombat cast from a bit ago that addresses the games current progression issues and weirdly continuing (even in this thread) misconceptions about what can actually be paid for in this game with real money because there is some weird assumptions and hot takes.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I hope someone links the Kombat cast from a bit ago that addresses the games current progression issues and weirdly continuing (even in this thread) misconceptions about what can actually be paid for in this game with real money because there is some weird assumptions and hot takes.

Hot takes in an Era thread by people who have no interest in the topic at hand?!
Well I never.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Not like there is a drought of good games. I skip any game that treats us, the gamers, as gambling money monkeys.

And how does this game treat you like a gambling monkey?

Or, y'know, just have them be part of the game and not locked behind MTX, fake currencies and broken progression bars. Honestly, would that be better or worse in your eyes?

That isn't possible though. Without MTX revenue, they can't afford making all those cosmetics.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Are you telling me I have to buy these skins at this price, article.....! Oh wait no I don't

I honestly have no problem with any of these types of tactics. As long as you can unlock them ones you want through normal play, and then if you really want it...Just buy it. If you don't want it.....Don't buy it. simples.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Yet more MTX bullshit in a premium game. People defending this stuff are supporting a very ugly part of our hobby which is designed specifically for greed and a disrespect for the customer. I have no doubt it's got great gameplay, but I can't support these practices, no matter how good it is.

People think because they don't buy these things it doesn't impact them, "it's just cosmetic". But these games end up being designed to point you towards the market place and manipulate you into buying something. From long drawn-out progress systems to fake currencies, the only reason they exist is because these shady MTX exist which, like it or not, affect the core game experience. When a good game comes out with MTX, I always wonder about the missed potential and how much better the game would be without them.

Companies want people to spend money on them. So shocking. And yes, they're just cosmetic, and most skins can be played through obtaining the game.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can do the same without monetizide that.

You know, like in the past

A past that never existed? You guys love to talk about how games "used" to be, but games were never the way you like to pretend they were. There are 100's of cosmetic items in MK11 that would never have existed "in the past" and that only exist now because some people will purchase them.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
"just play the game for 10000 hours like me. I never payed for a single skin!"

"it's just cosmetic!"

"it didn't effect the game design"

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
That's right, cash-strapped Warner Bros. Those poor souls. Honestly I don't know how developers make much bigger and better games than Mortal Kombat and manage to keep themselves afloat without manipulative Micro-transactions.

So you want them to make literally hundreds of skins and other cosmetics for free just because WB have money?
That's not how budgeting for a project works and not all devs are making the same game.

"it's just cosmetic!"

Do you even play the game? Or know what you're talking about?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
A publisher is selling optional cosmetic DLC that can be obtained by playing the game. More news at 11.

Remember your pitchforks, people.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

"it's just cosmetic!"

It might take you 200-300 hours to unlock every skin the old-fashioned way. It could take up to 6000 hours for the single skin you want to rotate into the shop. And the odds are that you'll have earned enough shop currency to get it for free anyway. That's why people are reeling at this article.

There's no f2p model to speak of, but it's more fun and lucrative to create controversy over a popular, topical thing.

Last edited:

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I'm not arguing that they expect you to buy every item. I'm simply saying they randomized the shop to entice people to use it. That's why they introduced the shop, right?
I seriously doubt most people will unlock or even care about unlocking every single skin in the game. They'll just unlock what they want for their favorite characters and that's why they chose to randomize the krypt. To make it difficult to get what you want for the character you want so that when a skin/brutality/fatality shows up on the premium shop for your favorite character, you'll be more enticed to spend money to get it before the end of the day or you miss your chance and have to go back to the grind and hope you get what you want from the krypt or tower of time.

I already spent all my koins from completing story mode plus a few random online matches and the 100k you get when you first enter the krypt and I only managed to unlock 2 items for a character I had any interest in using as well as a load of other junk. No skins, no brutalities, no fatalities for the only character I'm currently trying to learn. The 500k will be nice and maybe the patch will make things less frustrating. Maybe.

What makes you say it's bs? I watched max confirm on stream that the chests are indeed randomized.

Then your "favorite" streamer is not telling you the truth. Look reddit people are giving coordinates of chest in krypt and its same for everyone

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
The game is packed with content.

I personally dislike this new era where it's impossible to own the "complete" game, but prefer that kind of mtx that has so many things to buy, rather than a few.

It makes the whole "buy what you like" easier, since the completionist urge is gone.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
So you want them to make literally hundreds of skins and other cosmetics for free just because WB have money?
That's not how budgeting for a project works and not all devs are making the same game.
No, all you said was they can't afford it. I'm merely pointing out otherwise. They could budget it correctly and make a great game unaffected by greedy shenanigans such as this. Honest question here, how many are merely palette swaps compared to actual unique designs?

Night Terror

Feb 1, 2018
Then your "favorite" streamer is not telling you the truth. Look reddit people are giving coordinates of chest in krypt and its same for everyone

Only certain chests, not all of them. That's the issue, it's all a RNG fest. Want to unlock that sexy skin for Liu Kang you get to use by the end of the game? Wait for it to appear as a reward or in the store to buy it! Only care for the og color of that specific Raiden costume? Well, go to the Krypt and find the right RNG chest!

Honestly, it was pretty bad in Injustice 2. I got taunted to no end with the shitty MV and boxes, and this game has recolor and icons (ICONS!?) as a diluting factor. And if you want only a very specific thing, you gotta wait until it's on the Store (another RNG fest). Really unhappy with this system, the Krypt, Story Mode should reward properly the proper items, and then they could lock a certain few under other requisites.

Even freaking Warframe, a free to play game, has a better thought monetization system than this. It's crazy. What I'd like to know is how much of this was NRS decision VS WB itself.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No, all you said was they can't afford it. I'm merely pointing out otherwise. They could budget it correctly and make a great game unaffected by greedy shenanigans such as this. Honest question here, how many are merely palette swaps compared to actual unique designs?

If they make a game without microtransactions it will be a game without the cosmetics. So play the game without equipping any cosmetics and you'll have the game that you want.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
They simply wouldn't make this amount of cosmetics if there was no way to pay for them.

*Is what they want you to believe as a consumer to justify them making an excessive amount of money from things that would have been included as part of the base game in older titles.

What would they do then without MTX in terms of items in games? Simply not meet consumer demand for more items and get out of the gaming business altogether?

Is that the approach they had when making older games that improved with every release? "Sorry guys, the next game simply can't have more content unless we add MTX"

OR is it that they witnessed the ludicrous amount of money that was being made in the mobile market from FTP gambling simulators and thought "Holy crap, this is a goldmine, how can we convince people who pay full price for games that they should pay more so we can do this? I know, we will tell them that making more content is unsustainable unless we find a way to make more money!"

And guess what? It clearly worked.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
*Is what they want you to believe as a consumer to justify them making an excessive amount of money from things that would have been included as part of the base game in older titles.

What would they do then without MTX in terms of items in games? Simply not meet consumer demand for more items and get out of the gaming business altogether?

Is that the approach they had when making older games that improved with every release? "Sorry guys, the next game simply can't have more content unless we add MTX"

OR is it that they witnessed the ludicrous amount of money that was being made in the mobile market from FTP gambling simulators and thought "Holy crap, this is a goldmine, how can we convince people who pay full price for games that they should pay more so we can do this? I know, we will tell them that making more content is unsustainable unless we find a way to make more money!"

Do you even know how many cosmetic items the game has? Now tell me how the "older titles" base game compare.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Lmao. He's hardly my "favorite" streamer. I often find him insufferable but sometimes there's no one else on as late as he is.

And it's hardly bs. The vast majority of chests are randomized except for what? the heart chests that make up a tiny portion of available chests. They don't replenish when you spend koins to reset chests and they cost like, what was it? 250 hearts per chest? And you gain hearts by performing fatalities at the rate of one heart per fatality. Come on, man.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017

Different costumes used to just be palette swaps for the most part. Something which didn't cost that much. But these eleborate costumes in modern games are expensive to make and you can only expect to get so many of them for free.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Different costumes used to just be palette swaps for the most part. Something which didn't cost that much. But these eleborate costumes in modern games are expensive to make and you can only expect to get so many of them for free.

I don't remember about Armageddon, but Deception just had 2 costumes per character. Nowadays that would be a lack of content.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
There are only 600 chests in the krypt. The overwhelming majority are coin based, and coins come easily. They'll come much easier once they finish the balance changes. I've only played for 12 hours, but I've opened nearly 100 chests. And I'm on PC which has no balance adjustments for ToT yet. The overwhelming majority of green chests are 100 green coins, and those come pretty easily too. The biggest hurdle seems like it's going to be the heart chests, but you get those for spearing things in the krypt, you get them as tower rewards, and you get 1-2 per fatality. I've opened two so far.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
A past that never existed? You guys love to talk about how games "used" to be, but games were never the way you like to pretend they were. There are 100's of cosmetic items in MK11 that would never have existed "in the past" and that only exist now because some people will purchase them.
Ding ding ding.

If you want to stick to the past methods, you have it right there from the start with the two or three or whatever costumes you get from the jump.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Honest question here, how many are merely palette swaps compared to actual unique designs?

The majority of gear are a unique design and there are maybe 60(? or more even. Someone correct me) per character and each of those have a color swap to match the character skin. Not sure how many unique designs for the skins there are per character. There are A LOT of customization options.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Do you even know how many cosmetic items the game has? Now tell me how the "older titles" compare.

That's irrelevant because older titles were constrained by hard drive size requirements and hardware factors that simply didn't allow for the wealth of content we have today, my point is, that it was never restricted back then under the guise of "it's not financially viable to add more content without microtransactions" that line only started after the FTP mobile boom.

Budget and more importantly, time was and always will be a restrictive factor for ambitious projects because no company has an unlimited amount of resources or time but there is no evidence that microtransactions are having a positive impact on consumers or that they are required to have the quality of content consumers receive, despite them protesting otherwise, fantastic games were made in the past without them, some with more content in previous versions than in latter versions of the same series (looking at you The Sims.)

Consumer demand would have been met regardless because the alternative would have simply been companies no longer making games, therefore, no longer making money and would that happen? No, unless companies don't like making money of course.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

You aren't getting them "for free" you have paid full price for the product they are selling, this isn't a free to play game, this line of reasoning is absurd.

It's the same thing as Ubisoft literally having an option for people to pay to "speed up xp gain" you know, back before microtransactions that was known as cheat codes, things that were free...

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
That's irrelevant because older titles were constrained by hard drive size requirements and hardware factors that simply didn't allow for the wealth of content we have today, my point is, that it was never restricted back then under the guise of "it's not financially viable to add more content without microtransactions" that line only started after the FTP mobile boom.
Are you suggesting the older games were filled to the brim on disc space and couldn't possibly have anything else added? You're kinda making things up to fit your narrative.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
To be fair, you have a ZX Spectrum avatar. It was a gamble if the cassettes actually loaded :P
Goddamn it, I had to drop my iPad because it turned red hot in my hands.

About the topic... the era when fighting game characters had 2-3 different "skins" is long past. You can't seriously expect them to make hundreds of skin and not ask you to give something in return. Skins are a product, products cost money, real or virtual.
Sorry, but if the game is complete from a gameplay point of view, if you can't enjoy it because you can't get a skin you like from the get go or for free, it's your problem. You don't have to buy skins and they aren't making you buy them at gunpoint. This is like complaining you had to buy amiibo to unlock skins in Yoshi's Woolly World. Guess what, there's a complete game beyond the completely optional skins!

OK, the principle behind this is indeed not nice, I'll give you that. But again, if you can't enjoy your character without a certain skin... eeeeh, can't get your back there.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
but there is no evidence that microtransactions are having a positive impact on consumers or that they are required to have the quality of content consumers receive

What?? Games like Rainbow Six Siege has had 4 years of free content and more to come. 8 new playable characters and 2 to 4 maps every year and the game is selling for as low as $10. Explain how they'd support it without microtransactions? The game now has more than double the content it launched with. How's that not evidence of microtransactions having a positive impact on consumers or the quality of content?

It is relevant. They're only making hundreds of cosmetics to sell them. You're telling me the older MK games would've had hundreds of cosmetics if it weren't for hard drive space constraints? Come on! MK9 was probably ~10GB. I'm pretty sure the PS3 blu ray disc could've fit a few hundreds of skins on top of the game.

Last edited:

SaitoH

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao. He's hardly my "favorite" streamer. I often find him insufferable but sometimes there's no one else on as late as he is.

And it's hardly bs. The vast majority of chests are randomized except for what? the heart chests that make up a tiny portion of available chests. They don't replenish when you spend koins to reset chests and they cost like, what was it? 250 hearts per chest? And you gain hearts by performing fatalities at the rate of one heart per fatality. Come on, man.
My understanding is if two people finish the Krypt, they'll both end up with the same stuff.

Some chests (heart chests?) Are in the same location with the same gear, while all the other chests location is randomized.

So if I open a chest and get a Noob skin, you'll get it as well, but likely in a different chest.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I don't remember about Armageddon, but Deception just had 2 costumes per character. Nowadays that would be a lack of content.

And do you think that if microtransactions never existed that's all we would be getting now? Even if consumers demanded more?

Or do you think that gaming companies would just throw in the towel and say "we aren't going to make games anymore, sorry guys, you are asking for too much and we don't like money"

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
You aren't getting them "for free" you have paid full price for the product they are selling, this isn't a free to play game, this line of reasoning is absurd.

It's the same thing as Ubisoft literally having an option for people to pay to "speed up xp gain" you know, back before microtransactions that was known as cheat codes, things that were free...
Okay 'free' was a poor choice of words, I mean included.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017

If you want every costume, character, move, mode and upgrade, it'll cost you $20. That's such bullshit.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Heart Chests are Fixed.

Every other Chest is NOT.

If you want every costume, character, move, mode and upgrade, it'll cost you $20. That's such bullshit.

Oh does DMC4 have to make you grind out a currency that randomly gives you every costume and move?

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Oh does DMC4 have to make you grind out a currency that randomly gives you every costume and move?

It makes you grind two types of currency with an incomplete moveset! At least this cash shop lets you buy what you want though. I wish MK11's did; but, at this rate, it could be 6000 hours before they offer me the skin I want! [(60*25/6)*24]

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes you grind currency with an incomplete moveset!

Shit, and it randomly picks which moves you get, and it takes possibly hours to get an alternate outfit you want through pure luck and grinding?

Man I don't remember that AT ALL. Did they patch this in recently?

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, and it randomly picks which moves you get, and it takes possibly hours to get Dante's alternate outfit?

MK's skins don't work like Injustice's skins. You have all of your moves. To the latter part of the question, yes! You have to grind through the game at least three times to get Dante's final costume, which has unlimited DT!

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
I was refering to Devil May Cry since you so helpfully used it as an example.

And not if you wanted to use Nightwing's Staff Movelist.

People grinded that game for HOURS and never got that.

I was wondering how it correlated to the comparison and assumed you thought MK11 worked like Injustice 2. My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.