• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
Why on Earth would you buy every single one? Most are just color variations. You buy every color of a t-shirt in a store too? the fuck

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Even if it's not completely true, it's ok guys, "it's only cosmetic".
If you want to earn costumes for all characters at a leisurely pace, like in past generations of fighting games, you're doing it wrong. Just grind with the one character for days/weeks until you can dress the way you want to.

Everything is ok as long as it's cosmetic. Everything. Free reign.
I can't wait until the future when we have to grind all character skins, because they're all only cosmetic after all.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I can't wait until the future when we have to grind all character skins, because they're all only cosmetic after all.
images

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Plenty to criticize about MK11, but this ain't it.

But that's what happens when you haven't actually played the game. Such is the nature of ERA.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory commentary and antagonizing other members over a series of posts
Can you make your point without the sexual assault metaphors
Can you stop seeing assault everywhere? And it's not assault if you bend over of your own free will btw.
Why on Earth would you buy every single one? Most are just color variations. You buy every color of a t-shirt in a store too? the fuck
The answer lies in a simple truth that mortal 'piece of shit' kombat is a t shirt that's already been paid for. Maybe we are supposed to pay for every texture separately too on top of $60?
What a bunch of shills.

Oct 27, 2017
Can you stop seeing assault everywhere? And it's not assault if you bend over of your own free will btw.

The answer lies in a simple truth that mortal 'piece of shit' kombat is a t shirt that's already been paid for. Maybe we are supposed to pay for every texture separately too on top of $60?
What a bunch of shills.
lol you know I get that I disagree with you but that shit does not define me. I'm not a fucking shill, you child. The point the article makes isn't even a realistic one.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Any time I check, I only see 5 or so "featured items." Is there an entire shop I'm overlooking? Or are there only a few rotating things you can purchase at any given time?

Oxyrain

Oct 25, 2017
Why not just play the Game and unlock all for free?

That't what the 300 hours was referring to in my post.
I'd just prefer if games had color palette tools for cosmetics rather than palette swapped items. The things I proposed had the same cost per item than what the OP was assuming. (I thought) I was pointing out the uselessness of reporting on the $6640 (3000 hr) value.
Conversely, if they decided to get a heap of artists working to offer 240 skins per character, I'm assuming the headline would have read "Mortal Kombat 11 Skins Will Cost Over $25000 if you Buy Every Single One "

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Bingo. The overall inventory is the same for everyone. There are about 600 chests and the locations are random.
I'm under the impression that the only things that can be purchased with real money are easy fatalities and skins. Unlocking the fatalities or brutalities cannot be paid for.

I don't know about fatalities but one of Scorpion's brutalities was available on the Time crystal shop just before I finished my session about an hour ago. It was going for 500 time crystals or five bucks. I'm fairly certain I've already seen a number of Tower of Time skins since launch cycle out of the shop too so I kind of have a hard time believing Boon here.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I almost caved and bought MK11, but I'm glad I didn't. I don't want to support this shit, it's just not something I would feel good about doing. So I'm skipping the game. Also I haven't supported other games and especially publishers like EA.

I am the same, I refuse to support this nonsense and any other company that engages in this as a matter of principle, it might not change a damn thing but it helps me sleep better at night knowing I am not contributing to purely greed driven business models and something that is actively destroying the hobby I have loved since I was a kid just because some suits in a room one day found a way to exploit the weaknesses of people who love their hobby.

When I am seeing people on that Ed Boon Twitter feed saying "People are just too lazy to unlock everything, stop being lazy" and people also saying "You don't have to unlock everything you know" (even a Dice developer in this very thread said this, unbelievable!) it just makes me incredibly sad that companies have managed to convince them that this sort of thing is ok when they have already paid money for the product.

Imagine this happening 10-15 years ago, it just wouldn't have happened, sure games like resident evil for example had mechanics where you unlocked things as you progressed or after multiple playthroughs to extend the life of the game but it wasn't grindy and built in a way to encourage people to spend money, it was built in a way that gamers would want to keep playing because it was damn fun to do so, it wasn't made to feel like a job just so people would cave in and spend money!

Why the heck should anybody have to pay money for anything in a full priced game that they own? Additional lengthy content in the form of DLC (Like with the Witcher 3 made by a pro-consumer developer/publisher) I think is ok, that's what would happen back in the day as well in the form of expansion packs but anything else I just can't understand tbh.

Why should it be impossibly hard to unlock things such as different colour options? Because they know damn well it will make people spend money and the people defending this practice deep down know it as well or they just refuse to criticise the devs and pubs because they love the game too much.

People need to realise that Devs and publishers are not their friends, some are better than others with their business models I agree and the good ones should be praised but the sole purpose of devs and pubs existing is to create a product that benefits the consumer, after all, they don't exist without the consumer.

People in here saying "when you buy a t-shirt in real life you don't unlock every color either" just makes me incredibly sad knowing that companies really have exploited them that much they truly believe this is ok.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There are only 6 cosmetics and 3 consumables on rotation every 24 hours. This article is just a horseshit spin on something nobody would do that's not even really feasible. For instance, you get skins and cosmetics just playing the game regularly.

You'd have to start up the game, not go to any mode, and wait to buy the 6 cosmetics every 24 hours until you fill up 60 skins per character. It's nonsense.

Oct 27, 2017
There are only 6 cosmetics and 3 consumables on rotation every 24 hours. This article is just a horseshit spin on something nobody would do that's not even really feasible. For instance, you get skins and cosmetics just playing the game regularly.

You'd have to start up the game, not go to any mode, and wait to buy the 6 cosmetics every 24 hours until you fill up 60 skins per character. It's nonsense.

Paying 25,000 coins and going through absolute gaming hell to unlock a Jax skin isn't playing regularly.

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Paying 25,000 coins and going through absolute gaming hell to unlock a Jax skin isn't playing regularly.

Playing the story, doing classic towers, completing the tutorials and opening random chests is regularly playing. If you're talking about the character towers in ToT, those are broken atm. Do the recurring towers (if you're on PS4/X1) and open chests in the krypt.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is this like the SFV Fight Money controversy, where you had to play for a trillion hours to get enough to buy a character, or you could just play for 5 minutes one a week for say 6 months, and play through each character's 5 minute story mode to be able to afford a whole seasons worth of characters?

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam

Isn't that the way Fortnite Battle Royale runs their shop? I mean I haven't played Fortnite's BR mode in a while but when I was playing it their storefront was pretty much the same. A few skins and other cosmetics on rotation every 24 hours.

Nov 18, 2017
Says who? When was that rule made up? Interested in hearing this.

It's how GaaS like Fortnite and Siege work.

There are thousands of cosmetics, some time-limited, if everyone had them all they'd lose value, you purchase/grind for the ones you want. For instance in Siege I have a disco ball on my gun which is one of the rarest attachments, because I completed a challenge back in 2016.

Any other business model will mean less skins/cosmetics.

There are pros and cons.

Last edited:

dlauv

Oct 27, 2017
Is this like the SFV Fight Money controversy, where you had to play for a trillion hours to get enough to buy a character, or you could just play for 5 minutes one a week for say 6 months, and play through each character's 5 minute story mode to be able to afford a whole seasons worth of characters?

No, it would be like if you could earn the skins in SF5 through regular play and then complaining that you're given the option to buy them with either FM or cash. And you could only have a small fraction of skins available for purchase in any given 24 hour interval anyway. But nonetheless you take the price tag of a single skin and multiply it by how many skins there are in the game in total and then make a shitty article.

Isn't that the way Fortnite Battle Royale runs their shop? I mean I haven't played Fortnite's BR mode in a while but when I was playing it their storefront was pretty much the same. A few skins and other cosmetics on rotation every 24 hours.

Almost; the difference is that you don't actually need to buy them to acquire them. There are 600 chests in the krypt and tho they're (mostly) randomized per player, the contents are all the same in total for all players. So one player may find a chest near the beginning of the krypt that another player would find near the end of the krypt. The shop basically curates through the luck a bit to a very limited degree. You can either spend earned time crystals or purchase time crystals. In other words, it's a very half-hearted monetization system. It doesn't really help you get the skins much faster or progress through the towers quicker.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
No, it would be like if you could earn the skins in SF5 through regular play and then complaining that you're given the option to buy them with either FM or cash. And you could only have a small fraction of skins available for purchase in any given 24 hour interval anyway. But nonetheless you take the price tag of a single skin and multiply it by how many skins there are in the game in total and then make a shitty article.

Ah, so it's a non issue the people are making a big deal about then?

Nov 18, 2017
I think some people are just opposed to the idea of any sort of cosmetic mtx/GaaS model in Mortal Kombat.

MK11 will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.