• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
No, it would be like if you could earn the skins in SF5 through regular play and then complaining that you're given the option to buy them with either FM or cash. And you could only have a small fraction of skins available for purchase in any given 24 hour interval anyway. But nonetheless you take the price tag of a single skin and multiply it by how many skins there are in the game in total and then make a shitty article.

Almost; the difference is that you don't actually need to buy them to acquire them. There are 600 chests in the krypt and tho they're (mostly) randomized per player, the contents are all the same in total for all players. So one player may find a chest near the beginning of the krypt that another player would find near the end of the krypt. The shop basically curates through the luck a bit to a very limited degree. You can either spend earned time crystals or purchase time crystals. In other words, it's a very half-hearted monetization system. It doesn't really help you get the skins much faster or progress through the towers quicker.
But they decided to randomize the krypt and made the tower of time as difficult as it is to entice people to use the storefront, right? I mean, maybe i'm just cynical but why would they make a storefront if they didn't want people spending money on it?
From what I've heard from Maximilian dood's twitch streams, they towers are bullshit. I haven't actually played them myself as I'm still messing around in tutorials and practice mode but if he was struggling to get through those towers then I don't expect the majority of players who purchased the game to ever see most of the tower of time exclusive items unless they buy them.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can already see the next stupid ass click bait article.
"It will cost you 1000 dollars to do everyone's quick fatality!"

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
When did fighting games got so much MTX or awful grind, it's pretty awful personally.
It's just I'm so out of the loop since I stopped paying attention to the AAA market.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Around the same time the rule that you have to buy everything was enforced.

People wouldn't have to buy these things if MTX and grindy mechanics that pushed people towards purchasing items were not implemented in the first place by a bunch of greedy suits and more traditional pro-consumer systems were implemented instead (Like my example with the original resident evil trilogy games not being a grind to unlock items or allowing people to purchase skins etc.)

What you're essentially telling people who play these games is "Just because it exists in the game you paid for doesn't mean you should ever get to own it or use it"

Do you not see why that is a problem?

As a developer at Dice do you think systems that actively work against the consumer and encourage them to spend money is healthy for the industry?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
the whole system is exactly like in For Honor, there was also more stuff than you will ever unlock and that is the problem

"oh, we have much content, we have 5 intros, 5 taunts, 6 brutalities and 60 skin variations per character! (most of this stuff you will never see though!)"

in the end you will see the same intro again and again, do the same 3 brutalities again and again and you will watch the same taunts again and again because most of the stuff are random unlocks

Fuck that shit.

Will only buy when there's a complete edition with all DLC included.

not happening, you will still have to unlock all cosmetics, was the same in Injustice 2

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the whole system is exactly like in For Honor, there was also more stuff than you will ever unlock and that is the problem

"oh, we have much content, we have 5 intros, 5 taunts, 6 brutalities and 60 skin variations per character! (most of this stuff you will never see though!)"

in the end you will see the same intro again and again, do the same 3 brutalities again and again and you will watch the same taunts again and again because most of the stuff are random unlocks

Thank you. Or even worse, when you see another player or NPC with some really cool sick piece of gear that you'll never see on your own character because of the RNG BS.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
But they decided to randomize the krypt and made the tower of time as difficult as it is to entice people to use the storefront, right? I mean, maybe i'm just cynical but why would they make a storefront if they didn't want people spending money on it?
From what I've heard from Maximilian dood's twitch streams, they towers are bullshit. I haven't actually played them myself as I'm still messing around in tutorials and practice mode but if he was struggling to get through those towers then I don't expect the majority of players who purchased the game to ever see most of the tower of time exclusive items unless they buy them.

The 24 hour bottleneck of 6 skins (which may not even be for your character, of course) doesn't really make this feasible. They recognized the system was messed up and released a balance hotfix for ToT on the server side with more comprehensive balance fixes to come. Plus 500k coins, 1000 souls, 500 hearts, and 1000 time crystals for every player.

There are nearly 60 skins per character, there are 25 characters, and they only offer 6 skins per day. If it's a cynical model, it's insanely incompetent. It should be noted that skins are just largely just recolors. If they wanted to nickel and dime, they'd offer the player to buy consumables before matches. Even then, it's fairly easy to drown in consumables in the first place.

The main grind of the game is the krypt and the shop offers you virtually nothing to progress through it quicker.

I'm not defending the shop, but I'm saying it's extremely benign and this article is disingenuous framing. To purchase all of the skins, you'd have to spend 250 consecutive days not playing the game. That's just not going to happen, and you'd be wasting more time doing it than unlocking all krypt chests, which will take a couple of weeks or months at most.

Perhaps you should know that the vast majority of the skins are only obtainable by playing the game. The calculated "cost" is bullshit.

This too.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017
Everyone should be opposed to F2P monetization in 60 Dollar games.

I disagree.

Cosmetic monetization has proven to be very popular with players and means the devs produce a greater range of cosmetics, which by gating add value to character customisation. If everyone owns every customisable in their 60 Dollar game, then the repetition will be greater and choices limited.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
Ah yes its shit like this that makes me fearful for Rocksteady's next game.
WB practices in terms of dlc/mtx have been one of the worst of all publishers since Arkham Knight released.

That game is rumoured to be GAAS in concept as well so god help us

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I disagree.

Cosmetic monetization has proven to be very popular with players and means the devs to produce a greater range of cosmetics, which by gating add value to character customisation. If everyone owns every customisable in their 60 Dollar game, then the repetition will be greater and choices limited.

You can do the same without monetizide that.

You know, like in the past

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree.

Cosmetic monetization has proven to be very popular with players and means the devs to produce a greater range of cosmetics, which by gating add value to character customisation. If everyone owns every customisable in their 60 Dollar game, then the repetition will be greater and choices limited.

They're popular because they're addictive skinner boxes meant to manipulate players.

There's no reason they have to behind monetization schemes other than greed.

I'm not seeing what the benefits are to me as a player. At least remove the RNG bullshit. Thats why I at least stomach Street Fighter Costumes that you purchase. There's no random aspect. But Overwatch proved to Publishers that "Gambling but not really." is way more manipulative at getting people to take their wallets out.

Nov 18, 2017
Some of the best games this gen are GAAS with thousands of cosmetic items.

The idea this is inherently bad is ridiculous. Nobody is forcing you to by extra cosmetic content.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
You can do the same without monetizing that.

Exactly. This shit shouldn't be praised one bit.

All this will do, is encourage publishers/developers to become arrogant & go very overboard with these ridiculous practices of theirs.

We should keep these folks in check, & remind them who are the ones that keep these companies in business...the consumers.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The idea this is inherently bad is ridiculous. Nobody is forcing you to by extra cosmetic content.

They're good in spite of the cosmetic items.

Mortal Kombat XI is a fantastic game, but I just cant recommend it at its current state with how scummy it feels going through the Krypt and having to deal with 3 different fucking currencies and randomized chests.

Several times playing say, For Honor, I saw some cool cosmetic option for a character and went "Well never getting THAT" because its random or hidden behind a lootbox. And thats extremely frustrating.

Nov 18, 2017
You can do the same without monetizide that.

And games retail pricing hasn't increased in 25 years. New AAA games should £100 in the UK, but they still retail for half that.

In the past games didn't have thousands of customisation items. Games like Siege are still being supported 4 years in because of MTX. (to be fair Siege also lets you buy items directly, in addition to loot boxes).

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
How is it a non issue?

The fact people are fine with gating content behind either massive RNG Grind or Microtransactions for a dollar game just blows me away.

I don't care for micro transactions; I'm not gonna by them, so it's hard for me to be too impacted by them.

Take Overwatch for example. People who hate the game will buy 100 lootboxes every seasonal event, complain that they didn't get everything they wanted, say the game is trash, and then refuse to play it until the next event rolls around, and the same thing happens.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
People wouldn't have to buy these things if MTX and grindy mechanics that pushed people towards purchasing items were not implemented in the first place by a bunch of greedy suits and more traditional pro-consumer systems were implemented instead (Like my example with the original resident evil trilogy games not being a grind to unlock items or allowing people to purchase skins etc.)

What you're essentially telling people who play these games is "Just because it exists in the game you paid for doesn't mean you should ever get to own it or use it"

Do you not see why that is a problem?

As a developer at Dice do you think systems that actively work against the consumer and encourage them to spend money is healthy for the industry?
They simply wouldn't make this amount of cosmetics if there was no way to pay for them.

Shinjica

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And games retail pricing hasn't increased in 25 years.

In the past games didn't have thousands of customisation items. Games like Siege are still being supported 4 years in because of MTX. (to be fair Siege also lets you buy items directly, in addition to loot boxes).

Were the gamers who asked to increase the cost of developing a game?

I dont know siege but they increase the difficulty of certain match to push people to spend on consumable?

Nov 18, 2017
they increase the difficulty of certain match to push people to spend on consumable?

Yeah I agree this is bullshit. SFV and MK appear guilty of this.

The equivalent in Siege or Fortnite would be timed challenges but they're generally weighted in the players favour.

Skill-gating content at impossible difficulties to force players to pay is not cool... but conversely they might be players who dedicate themselves to the challenge. I thought we were all 'git gud' now?

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
They're good in spite of the cosmetic items.

Mortal Kombat XI is a fantastic game, but I just cant recommend it at its current state with how scummy it feels going through the Krypt and having to deal with 3 different fucking currencies and randomized chests.

Several times playing say, For Honor, I saw some cool cosmetic option for a character and went "Well never getting THAT" because its random or hidden behind a lootbox. And thats extremely frustrating.

Why wouldnt you recommend its fantastic game by design. amazing gameplay,animations,art design,actual good representation on asians , blacks etc. Has best online of any PS4 game by far. Like not even close.

sucks to be not playing it

Sylmaron

Oct 28, 2017
71OQaYbGtHL._SX425_.jpg

+

1.jpg

= Everyone defending or dismissing this shit.
This.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...if you decide to buy them. You have guaranteed costumes for every character by doing simple shit like Story Mode and Character Tutorial completion, and sure having rest of them be grindy/random is pretty bleh but "OMGYOUGUYS you HAAAAAVE to pay 1000$ to get everything!" is pretty disingenuous of how everything works, its not like you need every single cosmetic in the game either. This game has problems when it comes to its handling of MTX for sure but some reactions to what is essentially a sensationalist headline are pretty off base.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
...if you decide to buy them. You have guaranteed costumes for every character by doing simple shit like Story Mode and Character Tutorial completion, and sure having rest of them be grindy/random is pretty bleh but "OMGYOUGUYS you HAAAAAVE to pay 1000$ to get everything!" is pretty disingenuous of how everything works, its not like you need every single cosmetic in the game either. This game has problems when it comes to its handling of MTX for sure but some reactions to what is essentially a sensationalist headline are pretty off base.

Even if you decide to buy them, you can't. Only certain skins are purchasable with real money.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

Oh random bait site loves their click by war mongering internet nerds.
And here most people are loving war mongering and not playing games instead ;')

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019

Krypt is not random. Stop spreading bs please.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Why should he know that? He didn't play the game, he didn't give a shit about it, he's just here to complain

Yeah that's probably true for the majority of people complaining here.

How many hours does it take to unlock every skin?

Maybe Half the skins then, so it's not that long, how many?

Why do you want to unlock all/half of the skins? It's a fighting game and you'd probably only main a character or two.

The game has ~25 characters each with 60+ skins. No one in their right mind wants to unlock all of them.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How many hours does it take to unlock every skin?

Maybe Half the skins then, so it's not that long, how many?

Probably far less than the 6000 hours the article hypothesizes, which is how many hours you'd need to buy all skins.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
That's a genuine shame.

Maybe I have to reframe the whole model into viewing cosmetics as a service where I don't buy everything. Like a real clothes store.

I'm just so used to doing it wrestling games, sandbox games, etc.. All I know is that I was able to do it and now you need money to do the same thing.

I had every piece of clothing for my GTAO characters up to a certain point. Then R* caught wind and started charging impossible amounts of time/money for clothes (cosmetics) and vehicles (gameplay).

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I think some people are just opposed to the idea of any sort of cosmetic mtx/GaaS model in Mortal Kombat.

MK11 will do just fine.

Then people would be thrilled what Capcom did with the the AE for SFV. There's a free trial going on right now

Spoiler

They got rid of earning FM through completing SP content the first time and reduced FM earned through challenges. You have to play everyday for hours just so you maybe able to unlock characters, stages and costumes, colors. And some stages,costumes and colors can only be purchased through using real money.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Yet more MTX bullshit in a premium game. People defending this stuff are supporting a very ugly part of our hobby which is designed specifically for greed and a disrespect for the customer. I have no doubt it's got great gameplay, but I can't support these practices, no matter how good it is.

People think because they don't buy these things it doesn't impact them, "it's just cosmetic". But these games end up being designed to point you towards the market place and manipulate you into buying something. From long drawn-out progress systems to fake currencies, the only reason they exist is because these shady MTX exist which, like it or not, affect the core game experience. When a good game comes out with MTX, I always wonder about the missed potential and how much better the game would be without them.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
When a good game comes out with MTX, I always wonder about the missed potential and how much better the game would be without them.

Except the game would be much worse without them. There wouldn't be as many cosmetic options and rewards if it weren't for microtransactions.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
The 24 hour bottleneck of 6 skins (which may not even be for your character, of course) doesn't really make this feasible. They recognized the system was messed up and released a balance hotfix for ToT on the server side with more comprehensive balance fixes to come. Plus 500k coins, 1000 souls, 500 hearts, and 1000 time crystals for every player.

There are nearly 60 skins per character, there are 25 characters, and they only offer 6 skins per day. If it's a cynical model, it's insanely incompetent. It should be noted that skins are just largely just recolors. If they wanted to nickel and dime, they'd offer the player to buy consumables before matches. Even then, it's fairly easy to drown in consumables in the first place.

The main grind of the game is the krypt and the shop offers you virtually nothing to progress through it quicker.

I'm not defending the shop, but I'm saying it's extremely benign and this article is disingenuous framing. To purchase all of the skins, you'd have to spend 250 consecutive days not playing the game. That's just not going to happen, and you'd be wasting more time doing it than unlocking all krypt chests, which will take a couple of weeks or months at most.

This too.
I'm not arguing that they expect you to buy every item. I'm simply saying they randomized the shop to entice people to use it. That's why they introduced the shop, right?
I seriously doubt most people will unlock or even care about unlocking every single skin in the game. They'll just unlock what they want for their favorite characters and that's why they chose to randomize the krypt. To make it difficult to get what you want for the character you want so that when a skin/brutality/fatality shows up on the premium shop for your favorite character, you'll be more enticed to spend money to get it before the end of the day or you miss your chance and have to go back to the grind and hope you get what you want from the krypt or tower of time.

I already spent all my koins from completing story mode plus a few random online matches and the 100k you get when you first enter the krypt and I only managed to unlock 2 items for a character I had any interest in using as well as a load of other junk. No skins, no brutalities, no fatalities for the only character I'm currently trying to learn. The 500k will be nice and maybe the patch will make things less frustrating. Maybe.

Krypt is not random. Stop spreading bs please.
What makes you say it's bs? I watched max confirm on stream that the chests are indeed randomized.

Nov 18, 2017
Then people would be thrilled what Capcom did with the the AE for SFV. There's a free trial going on right now

Spoiler

They got rid of earning FM through completing SP content the first time and reduced FM earned through challenges. You have to play everyday for hours just so you maybe able to unlock characters, stages and costumes, colors. And some stages,costumes and colors can only be purchased through using real money.

SFV is just a disaster.

MK11 isn't anywhere close to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.