• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 23, 2017
i like how some people just keep bashing with the ugly compressed image than acknoweledge the videos, specially last one, that looks quite good on handheld
Yeah it's a decent enough port and 60fps. It would be cool if they can optimize a little more. We will see what happens for switch version post launch. As it stands now it is good enough. Is it possible some gameplay was taken prior to the big update?

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Judging by those videos it might be one of the best looking third party games on the system. Super impressive.

Its also kind of becoming tiresome to hear people say "definite downgrade but...." Like no shit, it's a tablet. Outside of certain indies there will ALWAYS be a downgrade. The fact that this looks as good as it does AND runs at 60fps is rad.
If it was MKX then I don't even think people would be saying that. But MK11 might end up being the most graphically impressive fighting game since Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast.

Oct 27, 2017
Just think about this:

You can play a NEW CONSOLE AAA GAME in a portable way.

When I think about the past... Imagine it's 2001 and you can play Metal Gear Solid 2 on a portable device.
Or 2007 and you can play Halo 3 on a portable device.

I love the Switch.

Dec 23, 2017
Just think about this:

When I think about the past... Imagine it's 2001 and you can play Metal Gear Solid 2 on a portable device.

I love the Switch.
Yes and one of the reasons they have to expand and make a pro model. Part of the success of the switch is being able to play these games on the go. Going to be interesting to see what they do. But I agree I love the switch I don't think I could go back to a traditional console.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to double dip eventually with the Switch version, because that looks phenomenal for portable play.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This reminds me of the old days when fighting games were in arcades first and then got ported to console.

It's basically like the Vita version of MK9. Yes it looks significantly better than MK9 on Vita but MK11 looks worlds better than MK9 on PS3 too. I think it's a cool version but blowing it up on a big screen, I wouldn't do it

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting.

Looks like what MK9 was from PS3 to Vita. AKA a bit worse but good enough. Great job to whoever made the port.
Nah, not really, the Vita version looks gross.

mortal-kombat-4.jpg

mortal_kombat4.jpg

mortal_kombat6.jpg

vs

PS3's version

gameplay.jpg

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, not really, the Vita version looks gross.

mortal-kombat-4.jpg

mortal_kombat4.jpg

mortal_kombat6.jpg

vs

PS3's version

gameplay.jpg
We can't compare Switch games based on screenshots, just as we can't do the same for Vita games. It works both ways. MK9 looked better on the Vita screen.

I do think the differences are comparable. Maybe the Switch version is a bit more favorable, but it's comparable.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
We can't compare Switch games based on screenshots, just as we can't do the same for Vita games. It works both ways. MK9 looked better on the Vita screen.

I do think the differences are comparable. Maybe the Switch version is a bit more favorable, but it's comparable.
Exactly it's like when you see 3DS screenshot or footage, it always looks way worse than it does on the system itself.

Again, it looks much better than MK9 Vita but MK11 on PS4 looks worlds better than MK9 on PS3. It's a similar downgrade and it's not meant as an insult.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Exactly it's like when you see 3DS screenshot or footage, it always looks way worse than it does on the system itself.

Again, it looks much better than MK9 Vita but MK11 on PS4 looks worlds better than MK9 on PS3. It's a similar downgrade and it's not meant as an insult.
On one hand, I think the Switch version compares more favorably due to the fact we're reaching a point where the visual fidelity of games is already prety high, so the ceiling is not as high.

On the other hand, MK11 is one of the best looking games this generation, full stop. MK9 wasn't nearly as impressive back in the day.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh MK11 on Switch looks kinda like MKX on Xbox One. And that's not a bad thing.

Already downloaded on my Switch. Can't wait.

You're really selling both MKX and the Xbox One short.

We know the capture tool on the Switch is heavy compressed. The screens are really accurate of what the game will look like running on Switch in handheld.

The screenshots posted look perfectly fine to me as far as jpeg compression goes. They aren't "accurate" because you're usually seeing the game on a small screen.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Yes, i think it's equivalent. Maybe a little more favorable to the switch because being able to run in docked mode is able to squeeze its possibilities in a way vita couldn't.
Both portable games are serviceable but don't pack the punch of the home console versions.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
Just think about this:

I love the Switch.
Preach it bro, i do love the switch, i have the xbox one x and pro but im getting mk11 for the switch just so i can play it at work got less time to play at home with kids etc

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
As a handheld title, it looks great - obviously a huge step down but it's closer than the Vita game was to the equivalent console release.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
As a handheld title, it looks great - obviously a huge step down but it's closer than the Vita game was to the equivalent console release.

That's how I see it. Despite getting the PC version for that 4K goodness, I may double-dip for the Switch version. I'm just a little concerned about the load times.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Are you guys going to do a video about it? If so, it would be cool if you included a look at last gen MK games just for comparison, though that would probably take a lot of work.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Looks really good. The lack of X-Ray on the actual x-ray attacks are disappointing, but not a big deal.

EDIT: Nevermind, just watched another video and the x-rays were there.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys going to do a video about it? If so, it would be cool if you included a look at last gen MK games just for comparison, though that would probably take a lot of work.
I'm sure we will but it won't be me since I'll be away next week. Just finished my video for another big game next week, though.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017

Waiting for that switch version analysis already! I bet you guys are having a good time checking those switch ports and what tricks and gimmicks Devs are using to bring these ports to life.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Woof. That'll look fine on the Switch screen itself but looking at this on my phone... yikes. That aliasing is some of the worst I've seen all generation.
Your phone screen probably has a very high resolution while Switch's screen is 720p. This makes a big difference. It's the same as comparing a PS2 game on a CRT and a HD TV.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
So these videos are without the massive "required" download?

At least according to the one dude shooting the off-screen stuff who said he hadn't downloaded anything yet. Perhaps it will look even better?

Or was that dude mistaken and the patch is already up?

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks alright. I don't understand what miracles people are expecting from Switch. Its a mobile chip from 4 years ago. All the ports like Doom, Wolfenstein II, etc have all had significant downgrades to make it possible. People should come in expecting to see that kind of image quality.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
I assume some people are unfamiliar with fighting games, 60 FPS is not only a must, but it has to be immaculate when you are in control of the character. They had to compromise to get that going, and all things considered, it looks fine.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
DF YT comments section is a toxic trash... Don't waste your time there.
I can guarantee you that the same people post here as well. There just trying their best not to get banned.

Also that game looks amazing considering it runs at 60fps. A good step above the previous gen, even handheld. Now that more porting studios work on switch, panic button work seems less 'magic'. I can't wait to see what else is coming.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played it on handheld mode today. Sub-zero resolution, but very smooth. I took some screenshots, direct feed from my Switch:

WwM66Rz.jpg

JOYkoDN.jpg

gtfvS5k.jpg

nBMgiNW.jpg
That lighting is atrocious. Honestly, I think the console versions of MK9 look better than this. Its not a matter of resolution here or something handheld could hide, its the silly amount of "shine" going on here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So these videos are without the massive "required" download?

At least according to the one dude shooting the off-screen stuff who said he hadn't downloaded anything yet. Perhaps it will look even better?

Or was that dude mistaken and the patch is already up?
Apparently the update is for the Story Mode, Online, etc. and without it, you can only play select stages and select characters in Single Fight or Training.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
People these days don't know how good they have got it.

People on this forum and online use the word rough and use the phrase very lightly at anything that doesn't somehow fit their narrative of perfect.

Play Ark on the Switch and come back to this and dare call this rough.

This is quite a good conversation for the specs being dealt with.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'know, looking at this footage, I gotta wonder why they cancelled the PS3/360 versions of MKX. If anything, it'd look close to this version.