• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It will look as hideous for different reasons, if these screens and that fatality video are anything to go by. I saw the XBC2 screenshots and still bought into fanboy reassurances about the small Switch screen compensating for the low res and insane shimmering (which is the issue with the screenshots). You know what they say "Fool me once, …..."

It looks better than this...

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, that looks awful, even considering the compromises that had to be made.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

v0xlqbztti401.jpg

Lol I have work screenshots than this.
I legit have a screenshot where the resolution dropped so low, Rex's face wasn't visible. He looked like The Question from DC Comics

Still put 220 hours in and still my favorite game on Switch and my favorite JRPG of all time. The great majority of that in handheld.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I sympathise with the sentiment, as I also don't like sub native games. However, if there's one game where we could cut some slack, it's MK11 running at 60 fps. They could easily make a 30 fps version that looked better and impressed more in videos and screenshots, but the game would be the worse for it.

Being a competitive fighting game this was never going to happen. Unlike most action games. Fighting games animation key frames are directly tied to the framerate. This isn't a case in which you can slow down an animation that comes out in 10 frames at 60fps, and half that which it is 5 frames at 30. Because that also ties into reactionary input when a character goes into the active attack frames an back into a neutral standing state.

The input window of a move requires 1/60th of a frame at 60FPS would then become 0.5th of a frame a 30 which makes input timing even more strict. It as you say the game would be the worse for it, but not because of 60FPS being smoother, but because it would detrimentally affect the timing of moves at a fundamental level.

The only dev that ever attempted to do this was SNK with Tag Heroines and the results were equally awful and criticized as such which is bizarre because there is a better looking example that has more elements happening on screen and maintaining the required 60FPS for a fighting game, that being Dragon Ball Fighterz.

Some might say the solution was have the game render at 30 but animations run at 60, but that isn't a viable solution for reasons I've outline above because of frame data.

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so, is this good or bad? I don't know anymore.

View the screenshots posted earlier in the thread on a 6" screen phone at a distance similar to your normal switch playing distance. If that is acceptable to you, then good, otherwise it is bad. . It can be objectively stated that the porting company has done a good job porting a 60 fps game, while dealing with the limitations of the Switch. Whether the quality achieved is good or bad is a subjective question, which can only be answered by you. It is not good enough for me, so I will skip this game, and buy Dragon's Dogma instead for my Switch.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What? FAST can drop resolution so much? I thought it was mostly 1080p locked.
In split screen it's dynamic but never this bad, this was a glitch where for whatever reason it dropped extremely low and stayed there (restart fixed it and never been that bad since).

I thought it was more cute than anything, it was like a retro throwback look.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
View the screenshots posted earlier in the thread on a 6" screen phone at a distance similar to your normal switch playing distance. If that is acceptable to you, then good, otherwise it is bad. . It can be objectively stated that the porting company has done a good job porting a 60 fps game, while dealing with the limitations of the Switch. Whether the quality achieved is good or bad is a subjective question, which can only be answered by you. It is not good enough for me, so I will skip this game, and buy Dragon's Dogma instead for my Switch.

you can't judge a 60FPS fighting game from a screenshot. especially when we are talking about the switch's awful captures feature.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
It can, in split screen local multi-player. In single player, it looks great. One of the best looking games on the Switch IMO.
In split screen it's dynamic but never this bad, this was a glitch where for whatever reason it dropped extremely low and stayed there (restart fixed it and never been that bad since).

I thought it was more cute than anything, it was like a retro throwback look.

That's some glitch LOL.
The Digital Foundry analysis tested 3 player split screen briefly but it didn't drop resolution or at least I didn't notice.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
its running at 60fps on a console that is 4x slower than a base XBox One and yet people, who never seems to talk about Switch games, are complaining.

People who dont seem to know that the Switch screen capture system is by far the worst way you can do to judge its graphics.

Ok, then.

Anyway, I'll be getting it as soon as I can grab the physical copy in my country.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
wow terrible textures

yikes at those johnny cage fatality comparisons, utterly trash looking

Deleted member 23965

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you can't judge a 60FPS fighting game from a screenshot. especially when we are talking about the switch's awful captures feature.

It is perfectly fine to use the screenshots as a guide. The jpeg compression makes the image softer and can hide aliasing issues. It also hides flaws like pixel crawl and shimmer which are far more apparent in motion. Check out the fatality video, I would say the compressed screenshots actually mask some of the visual issues with the game.

Dec 20, 2018
Should of had qloc or panic button port it but it definitely looks better than the vita ports of older new games. Especially that awful injustice port that had frame rate issues out the ass

Last edited:

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I'm okay with the sacrifices made to keep the gameplay intact, but I wish they had simply made an entirely different version - think MK mobile, but keeping the traditional gameplay. That's probably way more work than simply brute forcing the existing game, I guess.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I played more than 200 hours of MK9 on PS Vita.

It was a blast at 60 fps and the visuals were ok (not great but ok, and running at 60 fps I couldn't ask for more). Not to mention, the entire game at the palm of my hand for 5 hours per day.

You guys have no idea what is the meaning of taking away a game on your pocket (or bag since the Switch is a bit bigger than the Vita).

Comparing to a console (even if it's the Xbox One Vanilla) it's useless. You have a total underpowered console that has to drain so little power of its components to run a huge game with everything it has.

I do understand the docked version could be a bit better, but come on.... that thing is the size of the PS2 Slim and running big brothers games at 60 fps.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of delusional shit... MKX is legitimately one of the best looking games of the generation even still, this doesn't come anywhere near it.

I'm playing Mortal Komat X right now. This is within range of it even though the IQ in MK11 took quite a hit. Saying otherwise is being disingenuous and ignoring the footage.

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looks quite a bit better than I expected, impressive port job all around, hope it sells well. I won't be able to grab it at launch but I plan on picking it up on Switch eventually.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Here's some off screen play.

It's still visibly cut back from the other versions, but that doesn't look awful whatsoever. Makes me wonder if the game is running at a higher res or detail level when the console is docked. None of the portable footage has been particularly flattering. The drop in detail isn't so bad when the game is moving at a regular pace, but when things slow down and get close up - like fatalities - that's where it looks like ass in portable mode.

I mean, looks like ass compared to the big console versions. It's still better looking than MK9 Vita.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I legit can't tell if some of those handheld footage videos are ridiculously compressed of the game really looks that blurry, damn.

Still, it is what it is. Compromises had to be made and I'm still surprised they bothered to port this in the first place; it says good things about WB's interest in the platform and I'm glad.

v0xlqbztti401.jpg
Many things in this world do.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
Before I played MK9 on vita I thought I wouldn't stop noticing the downgrade. Once I started playing the 60fps gameplay made it much MUCH easier to bare. I feel like this will be the same. In motion I'll be fine.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
The paired back lighting on Switch looks more like a lack of contrast which results in the image looking "flat"... Can't wait for it to be released so we can know more!