• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Damn I am so torn whether to get this on the X or the Switch

Having the same internal convo about PS4 Pro or Switch.

For me, I keep thinking I'll play it a ton more without needing to be tethered to my console and tv, but I've played all recent Injustice and Mk games on PlayStation and I'm not sure how much I'll miss the graphics, controller, etc

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
This game running at 60 FPS on essentially a tablet is very impressive. There is definitely some trolling going on in this thread...

Deleted member 33409

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
When Rocket League launched it was really bad with very low resolution and it is an Unreal Engine 3 game. Now it is so much better since launch thanks to many patches and I think the same can happen to MK11 too. Anyway, thanks to some handheld footage of MK11 on Switch at 60 fps like this , I have to say this port doesn't look bad at all considering the many 3D details this game offers, specially the backgrounds.
I think they will probably improve the graphics but like every game on every platform they need time. On my side I'm just deciding on what version to buy on Nintendo Switch, base or premium. I just can't wait to play MK11 on Switch.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Having the same internal convo about PS4 Pro or Switch.

For me, I keep thinking I'll play it a ton more without needing to be tethered to my console and tv, but I've played all recent Injustice and Mk games on PlayStation and I'm not sure how much I'll miss the graphics, controller, etc

This is the decisive factor to me. The chances of booting my PS4 just to play a couple quick matches of a fighting game are next to zero. The Switch makes this much more effortless with it's convenience and sleep function.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Hey man Ill play Mortal Kombat with you anytime to get you through Ariel finding the Thingamajig for the 51st time in the background. DM me your friend code!

Haha! I'm actually not even a fan of MK. I came in this thread to see how the port turned out. I'll dm you my friend code for the hell of it though :P

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This port is really unpleasant to look at with its sub-360/PS3 quality visuals in handheld. If a game can't hit native res even with severe compromises to the textures, shadows and lighting then it's probably a game that exceeds the Switch's capabilities.

Somebody earlier in the thread compared it to those Youtube videos of people messing with .ini files to get modern games running on ancient PC rigs and it looks exactly like that. The atmosphere and artistic vision of the game have been choked out of it.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
Some low geometry but I fucking love low geometry. Evem better if the game plays exactly the same.

If I want graphics I can also get the PC version

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Deleted member 21326

User requested account closure.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When Rocket League launched it was really bad with very low resolution and it is an Unreal Engine 3 game. Now it is so much better since launch thanks to many patches and I think the same can happen to MK11 too. Anyway, thanks to some handheld footage of MK11 on Switch at 60 fps like this , I have to say this port doesn't look bad at all considering the many 3D details this game offers, specially the backgrounds.
I think they will probably improve the graphics but like every game on every platform they need time. On my side I'm just deciding on what version to buy on Nintendo Switch, base or premium. I just can't wait to play MK11 on Switch.

Looking at this video, then seeing people say it looks atrocious etc. This port looks good.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
This port is really unpleasant to look at with its sub-360/PS3 quality visuals in handheld. If a game can't hit native res even with severe compromises to the textures, shadows and lighting then it's probably a game that exceeds the Switch's capabilities.

Somebody earlier in the thread compared it to those Youtube videos of people messing with .ini files to get modern games running on ancient PC rigs and it looks exactly like that. The atmosphere and artistic vision of the game have been choked out of it.
Holy shit at this hyperbole.

I love seeing NetherRealm games at their best. Injustice 2 looks amazing on my One X. I am, however, stoked to play MK11 on Switch. The gameplay looks perfect and image quality is juusstt fine. Y'all out here acting like PS4 and Xbox One never compromised on resolution to get games running on the hardware.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My personal screenshot from handheld mode
44376-Mortal_Kombat_-_Tournament_Edition_(U)(Mode7)-1462272270.jpg

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at this video, then seeing people say it looks atrocious etc. This port looks good.

We have known for a while that it looks good and is a great port....but there will always be people looking for some of the worst comparisons to validate their opinion.

Like when we see the game looking great in motion and people suddendly prefer to use still shots to evaluate the quality of the port.
What's even the point in a portable version when the towers and krypt have an always online requirement?

We are still doing this in 2019 ? lol....after Fortnite and tons of f2p online multiplayer games on the Switch still getting these kind of replies.

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
*shrug* don't know what to tell you. I've looked at both back and forth and I don't see a huge difference outside the obvious IQ/resolution downgrades. Lighting in MKX was noticeably dull and Injustice 2 is where WB Games really hit their stride in the graphics department, specifically how improved lighting was. MK11 has much better animations, models, and colors and that does a lot for the look of this game compared to MKX.
Lets just respectifully agree to disagree then.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
We have known for a while that it looks good and is a great port....but there will always be people looking for some of the worst comparisons to validate their opinion.

Like when we see the game looking great in motion and people suddendly prefer to use still shots to evaluate the quality of the port.

We are still doing this in 2019 ? lol....after Fortnite and tons of f2p online multiplayer games on the Switch still getting these kind of replies.
So online DRM in a single player mode is acceptable now?

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

lmfao

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

I don't disagree with the atmosphere being choked out by the downgrade.

I disagree that the artistic vision is being choked.

In a videogame gameplay is intrinsically tied into the artistic vision and that gameplay has been fully preserved.

Even the art direction portion while downgraded in detail is all there. It won't be as atmospheric but what we are getting is more than acceptable.

Feb 10, 2018
This at 60fps is very good considering the hardware of the switch.

I think people tend to forget what the switch hardware is, your not going to X1S visuals, compromises are needed.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looks very good considering everything, but i'm not going to get it still. there seems to be so many little issues (mostly for the whole game, not specifically the switch version). i still want to experience it tho so if they do a complete edition like they did for X, i'll probably get it.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

There's no way in hell this isn't a parody post.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Honestly this video did it for me, I'm going Switch version

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Switch version is already preloaded. PS4 this thursday when I get paid, then Xbox version by the end of May with tin case if possible.

Grew up playing MK in Game Boy, so have many fond memories of playing portable MK and at launch.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
This right here

People dont understand that the switch is a game changer for those of us with wives working their way through 15 seasons of greys anatomy.

As my primary console I am excited for the port and looks good for what it is..I was expecting less to be honest.

Yup. My nice 4K tv is in the basement. My wife used to complain that I'd be down there for long periods of time away from her. And honestly the last thing she wants to do is play on her phone while I play games. Spending time with her in the living room while I play my switch has been huge for me. It's a nice compromise. Every so often I'll play through a PS4 game on that tv but I find it really hard to devote tons of hours until she goes to bed. I'm honestly always going to pick sitting around with my wife and dog over sitting by myself.

Deleted member 33409

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Most people are easily influenced by others opinions when some of them don't even own the console itself having a completely different POV. If you play 4K games everyday, how objectively you can look at MK11 on Switch? Everyone should decide what they really want.
If this game ran at 30 fps, you could easily have all the effects running on Switch. But what about the 60 fps action? The Nintendo Switch draws like 4W when portable, it's unthinkable to ask for almost the same level of detail and framerate that other console like PS4 have running with 70W. Saying that it looks like a smartphone game it's just trolling, because you can only dream games with those details running at 60fps on a phone. Most "gamers" should do a reality check.

That video is of course overexposed to light and that's why with that contrast makes even a better impression, and yet I can clearly see how that framerate do justice to MK11. When they say this game could run on a PS3, yes why not? But what about the vertical sync that created screen tearing on every game on the last gen that if included ate around 10 frames? Was PS3 portable? What about MK on Vita?

I think that MK11 on Switch has room for improvement and the fact that runs at 60 fps it's a fucking good start! I saw later patches in many games where it improved performance and graphics a lot, why this should be different?

Point is if MK11 didn't come to Nintendo Switch, everyone would have cried for it. Now that it is coming without any reserve from the software house "at launch", there are just the eternal unsatisfied that wants always more.

If you want the best graphics for MK11 then the Nintendo Switch version isn't for you, but if you want to play it on the GO...

Remapped88

Oct 27, 2017
USA
People are crazy, it's friggin' MK11 on the go at 60fps. The Switch version won't be my main version but as a fighting game fan, 60fps means everything over top notch graphics.

Dec 23, 2017
Yup. My nice 4K tv is in the basement. My wife used to complain that I'd be down there for long periods of time away from her. And honestly the last thing she wants to do is play on her phone while I play games. Spending time with her in the living room while I play my switch has been huge for me. It's a nice compromise. Every so often I'll play through a PS4 game on that tv but I find it really hard to devote tons of hours until she goes to bed. I'm honestly always going to pick sitting around with my wife and dog over sitting by myself.
We can only hope that Nintendo see and realizes the game changer they have and invest heavily in the concept moving forward to expand it even more.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Most people are easily influenced by others opinions when some of them don't even own the console itself having a completely different POV. If you play 4K games everyday, how objectively you can look at MK11 on Switch? Everyone should decide what they really want.
If this game ran at 30 fps, you could easily have all the effects running on Switch. But what about the 60 fps action? The Nintendo Switch draws like 4W when portable, it's unthinkable to ask for almost the same level of detail and framerate that other console like PS4 have running with 70W. Saying that it looks like a smartphone game it's just trolling, because you can only dream games with those details running at 60fps on a phone. Most "gamers" should do a reality check.

That video is of course overexposed to light and that's why with that contrast makes even a better impression, and yet I can clearly see how that framerate do justice to MK11. When they say this game could run on a PS3, yes why not? But what about the vertical sync that created screen tearing on every game on the last gen that if included ate around 10 frames? Was PS3 portable? What about MK on Vita?

I think that MK11 on Switch has room for improvement and the fact that runs at 60 fps it's a fucking good start! I saw later patches in many games where it improved performance and graphics a lot, why this should be different?

Point is if MK11 didn't come to Nintendo Switch, everyone would have cried for it. Now that it is coming without any reserve from the software house "at launch", there are just the eternal unsatisfied that wants always more.

If you want the best graphics for MK11 then the Nintendo Switch version isn't for you, but if you want to play it on the GO...

Yup. If it wasn't coming there would be complaints of where is the 3rd party support.

If it was 30fps and more detailed there would be cries of how it's unacceptable that it's running at half the frame rate.

If you want the best looking version, get it on Xbox one x or build a pc. I'm personally going to double dip when I can grab it in a sale because of how gorgeous it looks.

But for the people who want MK anywhere? Judging by the videos I stand by this is one of the best if not the best looking 3rd party game.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
if someone has a good TV, take the more powerful console version...

game really looks like ass on the Switch, impressive or not, i wouldn´t play this for extended amounts of time. this is cool for hardcore fans that want MK everywhere but these people will double dip too

the game is a looker on the PS4Pro, vibrant colours, crisp quality... people will be missing out with this Switch version...unless someone really travels A LOT or has no access to an own TV, better version all the way...

and you guys know that the game is always online for everything? will hamper the Switch version even further

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
But for the people who want MK anywhere? Judging by the videos I stand by this is one of the best if not the best looking 3rd party game.

Just as a heads-up for those looking at this for the play anywhere aspect, be sure to look at the single player mode thread as the Krypt and Towers of Time modes where most unlockables are earned is online only.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
I have other options to play MK11 on (PS4, gaming laptop, gaming desktop) but i went with the version i'll actually play. It's preloaded on Switch.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
if someone has a good TV, take the more powerful console version...

game really looks like ass on the Switch, impressive or not, i wouldn´t play this for extended amounts of time. this is cool for hardcore fans that want MK everywhere but these people will double dip too

the game is a looker on the PS4Pro, vibrant colours, crisp quality... people will be missing out with this Switch version...unless someone really travels A LOT or has no access to an own TV, better version all the way...

and you guys know that the game is always online for everything? will hamper the Switch version even further

Wow! You sure are trying your damn hardest to convince people not to buy switch version.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Just as a heads-up for those looking at this for the play anywhere aspect, be sure to look at the single player mode thread as the Krypt and Towers of Time modes where most unlockables are earned is online only.

Check above. When I say anywhere I mean anywhere in my house ;)

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
We have two 4K TVs, two Switch, Xbox One, Xbox One X, PS4, PS4Pro... and Switch version is already preloaded.

Getting other versions too, but I have been a fan of MK since 1992 and Game Boy was my main platform back then, so portable because of nostalgia and can take it to work to play while I wait for my partner.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm already $200 down on this game (digital Premium Editions on Xbox and Switch) so the quality of the port is almost beside the point now that they already have my cash.

Fastrun

Oct 27, 2017
I have other options to play MK11 on (PS4, gaming laptop, gaming desktop) but i went with the version i'll actually play. It's preloaded on Switch.

That's the same with me. I have an Xbox One, but I'd play more on Switch. So I have it preloaded on my Switch. Dragon Ball Fighterz was the same. I got it on Xbox around launch, but found I liked playing it more on Switch.

Deleted member 33409

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

That's the main reason I buy almost everything on Nintendo Switch, it's way easier to light on the console and play in any room you are while staying in company. I think the Nintendo Switch is the console where I played the most any game I bought and actually completed them.