• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
They are literally the best way to judge how a game looks aside from actually playing it. It just depends on which device you are looking the pics. If you look them in a device with a screen similar to Switch's, then you'll get an almost exact experience of how the game looks. If you are seeing those pics in a 32" monitor, obviously they will look worse.

Not exactly, Switch uses JPG compression for it's screenshots, so while they look decent on the Switch screen, even if you screenshot in 1080p docked mode, they will save as 720p.

The video above showing docked footage is also not free of compression, not just the inherent compression of YouTube, but the user uploaded at 30fps and was precompressed (can notice additional compression around the UI in game). Makes me wonder if they got the footage from the system recorder instead of a capture card.

This is not saying the game is going to look drastically better, just want to make sure people understand the compression methods in play here.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
If you are taking screenshots while playing in docked mode, sure they will look worse since they are at 720p always and your game will probably run at 1080p on your TV. But I really don't see a big difference when you are taking them in handheld mode. If I look them at my phone (close to Switch's screen dimensions) they don't differ too much from how they look on Switch. JPG compression is not a game changer on how a game looks in a small screen.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Looks nasty compared to the other versions, still decent on its own right but no way i'm picking it over the PS4 version since i couldn't care less about portability which is all it would offer over it.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I quickly attempted (they don't match up perfectly) comparison screens of the PS4 Pro version with the Switch version:

Switch:

E7DrRrF.jpg

PS4 Pro:

46728557705_8c03918f1f_o.png

40677589563_0b5c585d3c_o.png
[/spoiler]

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Where's the X-ray effect?
Not sure why people keep thinking the Switch version got rid of the X-Ray effects.

In MK11 they never appear during Fatal Blows (the new X-Rays/Super moves). Now they only show up during Krushing Blows (basically beefed up special moves with a brief cinematic), and occasionally during interactables. There are little to no Krushing Blows in any of these Switch videos.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Screengrabs through Switch's screenshot function are bad and overly compressed. You're not going to get an honest view of the game through those.

Nonetheless, while it's obviously a downgrade, it's a worthy tradeoff for smooth 60fps.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
I quickly attempted (they don't match up perfectly) comparison screens of the PS4 Pro version with the Switch version:
[/spoiler]

switch undocked captures vs ps4 pro, not a fair comparison

If you are taking screenshots while playing in docked mode, sure they will look worse since they are at 720p always and your gaming will probably run at 1080p on your TV. But I really don't see a big difference when you are taking them in handheld mode. If I look them at my phone (close to Switch's screen dimensions) they don't differ too much from how they look on Switch.

you need a 720P screen. modern phones have 2K screen so the size doesn't matter.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a time when people said Switch would never be able to run PS4 games. That later became, "Switch would never be able to run PS4 games at the same framerate".

Here's another example of the Switch doing exactly that. And for a game that is as impressive looking as MK11 which runs at 60fps, obviously cuts would have to be made.

I'm really not seeing the issue here. This is no MK9 Vita port.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
I have to say that the game looks nice on docked mode, just tried it. It's a shame it has to run at PS Vita resolution on handheld.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Compressed video screenshot vs an uncompressed direct screenshot, so not fair at all, but it'll give you an idea of how the lighting and detail in stage backgrounds compares:

68503c4473ab515f209696a28555151f.jpg

PS4 Pro:
47587070132_d04be5dc05_o.png

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Compressed video screenshot vs an uncompressed direct screenshot, so not fair at all, but it'll give you an idea of how the lighting and detail in stage backgrounds compares:

68503c4473ab515f209696a28555151f.jpg

PS4 Pro:
47587070132_d04be5dc05_o.png
Are you playing the Switch version? How does it compare to docked mode? I think it looks pretty good docked, but we don't have undocked footage yet.

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it looks rough on handheld mode, docked looks pretty solid i think. Could've looked better at 30 fps but then people would complain about it, so...thems the breaks

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Oh, ok. Thanks for clearing up. Yeah, I'm curious about undocked footage. If it's comparable to docked, it's good enough for me. Hard to judge based on screens since they almost always looks terrible.

Uh, undocked footage was already posted tho? Or am I stupid...

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
It wasn't. That footage is from docked mode, for some reason the person reposting the video (it was recorded by an Era user, posted yesterday) is claiming it's undocked, but it's not.

it's the inverse. someone posted that without saying what mode it was. first video is clearly undocked, you can see the difference between that and the second.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
it's the inverse. someone posted that without saying what mode it was. first video is clearly undocked, you can see the difference between that and the second.
It isn't. The video was actually recorded and posted in 1080p yesterday. Someone saved the video before WB pulled out, and posted in 720p. I've watched the video in 1080p multiple times yesterday. It was originally posted by user X-Factor. Here is his original post:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/mo...-gameplay-trailer.112108/page-6#post-19960622

LordOcidax

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like every Switch thread... People crying because it doesn't looks like their 3+ tflops console... Are we going to have this kind of post on every Switch+graphics related thread... I meant is really odvious at this point.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
Like every Switch thread... People crying because it doesn't looks like their 3+ tflops console... Are we going to have this kind of post on every Switch+graphics related thread... I meant is really odvious at this point.

People are crying because the game doesn't even reach Switch's own native resolution, which should be the standard, not PS Vita's.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
People are crying because the game doesn't even reach Switch's own native resolution, which should be the standard, not PS Vita's.
That's expected for a PS4 port that retains 60 fps. I understand sub native resolution is not ideal, but asking for native resolution + 60 fps for this port is completely unreasonable.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
That's expected for a PS4 port that retains 60 fps. I understand sub native resolution is not ideal, but asking for native resolution + 60 fps for this port is completely unreasonable.

If you take into account that they don't just reaped resolution to fit the game on Switch maintaining a similar look to higher versions (like Doom or W2 ports did) but also cut a lot of things (quality of characater models, textures, lightning, number of elements in the stage, lack of AA, etc) then I find normal for people to not seeing the port with the best eyes. Usually when you concede too much in a port, at least is for securing a decent resolution.

Either way, I think the game docked looks very good for a Switch game.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Not sure why people keep thinking the Switch version got rid of the X-Ray effects.

In MK11 they never appear during Fatal Blows (the new X-Rays/Super moves). Now they only show up during Krushing Blows (basically beefed up special moves with a brief cinematic), and occasionally during interactables. There are little to no Krushing Blows in any of these Switch videos.

Alright, I'll reserve my thoughts on this until we see more from the Switch version.

I remember a time when people said Switch would never be able to run PS4 games. That later became, "Switch would never be able to run PS4 games at the same framerate".

Here's another example of the Switch doing exactly that. And for a game that is as impressive looking as MK11 which runs at 60fps, obviously cuts would have to be made.

Well most of this still stands true. Doom and Wolfenstein run and look significantly worse than even the Xbox One versions.

This reminds me of the Injustice port on Vita. Bluepoint did a heck of job on that.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's not running the same graphics as PS4 at the same frame rate. Also the vita port was also 60FPS.

sosainas

Sep 13, 2018
In any case, I find weird that they delegated the Switch port of one of the most wanted AAA games of the year to a studio that only worked once with the console and was developing the mediocre Scribblenauts Showdown.