• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
We've reached a point in general graphical fidelity where even downgraded versions can look fine. It's not like the Wii->360 gap where games had to go through an early 2000s shitification filter just to run.

It obviously looks worse, but I don't see how you can say it looks bad. If there was no point of comparison then people would probably be praising it as a great looking 60FPS Switch game.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't see where it looks great, y'all.
For a Switch game, it looks fantastic.

The last fighting game I played on Switch looked like this:
snk-heroines-2-1132208.jpeg

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the community will thrive on Switch, though. I hope it does.
I think it should do ok at least. It's the first time a major, traditional fighting game is releasing on Switch, and same day and date with the other versions.

Allowing a beta and longer pre-order period would likely have helped but oh well.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Sticking with the XB1X version but this looks solid.

Valkrai

Oct 25, 2017
It looks good but I can see why they didn't want to show it off. Ambient Occlusion, lower res details generally, the crowd in the Black Dragon Club is gone are some smaller details I noticed.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I will get the game for ps4, but I can imagine that the controls of mortal kombat translate much better to the switch's suboptimal d-pad than the capcom or neogeo fighters that make up most of the fighting game lineup on switch so far.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I think it should do ok at least. It's the first time a major, traditional fighting game is releasing on Switch, and same day and date with the other versions.

Allowing a beta and longer pre-order period would likely have helped but oh well.

Cross play would help the most. They said they'd look into it.
PC + XB1 + Switch still might not = PS4 though depending in the split I don't know how it is. I feel like the split for fighting games is huge in favor of PS4

Oct 26, 2017
Looking good. Honestly, it holds up better than I was expecting. Somewhere in between MK9 and MK11, with it looking much better than the former

...i am convinced the switch can run any third party game now
Nah, fighting games in general tend to scale well to considerably weaker systems, such as the MK and Injustice ports on the Vita or SSF4 on the 3DS. I'd sooner point to games like Hellblade or Doom instead

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A little sketchy that the actual Switch footage was shown in a small-sized screen but it seems to look decent enough.

Oct 25, 2017
I expected it to look a lot worse, this looks like a very competent port. MK9 on Vita was fantastic despite how it looked, so I thought this mind end up a similar situation. But then I realized that even scaled back ports can still look good with the Switch's hardware.

EDarkness

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who wanted to run this game primarily on a stationary, home console would have bought it on PS4, Xbox One or PC.

Going Switch is all about portable MK

Uh...if I was going to get this game, then I'd ONLY play the game on a TV. Why would it be assumed that someone would only play it portably? Some folks just want to play the game on the NS portably or not.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
Looks pretty good. Cool.

Thanks April Switch lineup I totally needed to clear out my wallet anyways.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
It does look noticeably scaled down, quite a bit more plain when it comes to effects and lighting, but a looot better than MK 9 on Vita.
I'm holding out a tiny bit of hope that this version can actually be played fully offline unlike the ps4box and pc version where most of the game is online only, even single player parts. If this turns out to be the case I'm buying it on Switch no question.

Last edited:

¡Hip Hop!

Nov 9, 2017
Looks like it should be an impressive port. I'll probably get a Komplete edition on Switch down the road.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Respect to NRS and all those involved for actually getting this out day and date for the Switch with a solid port

Just hoping there's no weird DLC tomfoolery like with Injustice on the Wii U

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely could have been much worse, but it isn't super easy to tell given that trailer. I think the marketing is a little shady here. Stop trying to obfuscate by putting it on a small screen within the trailer and just show it. We get it, there is a large visual downgrade, stop being so sus about it.

Dec 23, 2017
I don't know. This looks all like handheld gameplay. Which is fine. Hoping it looks even better docked. I'm going to wait for some real gameplay footage after release before I purchase.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I dont like that they showed the gameplay in that tiny screen and the cutscene in the regular video size. Seems like a bad faith logic.
Yeeeah, not a fan of this especially because I watched it on my phone. Will watch on a bigger screen once I get home. Still, it looks solid but I need a good look at it.