• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
UPDATE
It has now been confirmed by user Tyaren here on Resetera who has the game updated with the day 1 patch, that The Krypt and Towers of Time are indeed unavailable when you are offline. So the tweet by the developer was true and the day 1 patch did not fix this like some had speculated.

vf1nsox.jpg

So according to the Mortal Kombat Reddit, a dev from Neterrealm posted a tweet confirming that the game will require a online connection to earn gear and play the Towers of Time mode and access the Krypt. He has since deleted the tweet for unknown reasons (maybe fear of negative backlash?)
As someone who don't play online only games I find this extremely disappointing. The gear unlocks and Towers of Time/Krypt are the main parts of the game that gives it's incredible longevity.

Injustice 2 let you do 95% of what the game offered while offline, including the Towers of Time like mode, Multiverse.
And the gear doesn't offer any gameplay advantages either, it's purely cosmetic, unlike in Injustice 2 where it actually did affect gameplay.
I wish Neterrealm would have been more upfront about this from the beginning as I would not have pre-ordered the game had I known.
Gonna be tough for the Switch version when you're out using it in handheld mode without a internet connection.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty shit when IJ2 didn't need it, but I guess I'm always connected to the internet anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Well no shit you need it for Tower of Time, those are online modes. Less necessary for Krypt and achievements I guess, but it's still not really a big deal

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
It always sounded like an online mode, how would they replace and update modifiers, add new characters etc...

Also, I'd say a AAA game requiring an internet connection is non-news today imo.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Well no shit you need it for Tower of Time, those are online modes. Less necessary for Krypt and achievements I guess, but it's still not really a big deal
Isn't Towers of Time an online gametype anyway

The op literally talks about multiverse in Injustice 2, which was very similar to Towers of Time and could be played offline. This is bullshit and basically completely devalues the Switch version. My whole reason for wanting to get it portable was so I could grind out Towers of Time on my commute.
They could have done it exactly like Injustice 2 where the mode is available offline but needs online access to update for events and the like

what other bad thing has been revealed recently?

The fact that custom variations, one of the main selling points of the game, are not allowed in ranked/competitive play.

Both of these news bits should have been out weeks ago.

Last edited:

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Oh great, thanks.
My internet can be pretty spotty and likes to drop out a few times a week randomly, it'll be nice to know I cannot access certain modes during these times.

The fucking Krypt, really?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
WB exec: It's those damn PC players I tell you, they're stealing our game bytes. Boon, make sure you and your team get on it.

Ed Boon: The PC version is gonna be great, I promise!

Is save hacking a thing on consoles? If gear has no advantage then idk why they would online lock the krypt. At least they are not locking the entire game up, gotta give it to WB for that I guess *shrug*

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

The op literally talks about multiverse in Injustice 2, which was very similar to Towers of Time and could be played offline. This is bullshit and basically completely devalues the Switch version. My whole reason for wanting to get it portable was so I could grind out Towers of Time on my commute.
They could have done it exactly like Injustice 2 where the mode is available offline but needs online access to update for events and the like
I don't think Injustice 2 had a standard towers mode though the way this game does.

No Krypt or gear is shit though.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I don't think Injustice 2 had a standard towers mode though the way this game does.

No Krypt or gear is shit though.
Yeah. The offline multiverse events were usually not the same. There were some that were there unlocked by the internal clock.

Injustice 2 also saved gear customization on their servers, meaning that you could have access to any customization and items you owned, even if you used another PS4 or Xbox (no cross platform though). Selling items offline sometimes resulted in 0 value, until you went online.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
that pushes the game from a day 1 to a "wait until all the dlc fighters" are announced. i have a fast but also spotty internet connection, that sometimes just drops out (like 4 hours yesterday). i dont want to deal with online only bullshit when it comes to single-player unlocks/content.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But why? Injustice 2 only locked the online-only modes...
I can only assume Towers of Time is doing something different, because it doesn't make sense to me either when 95% of Injustice's Multiverse was playable offline.

It also really handicaps the Switch version for anyone wanting to play on the go.

OP
OP
Santar

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I must have missed this, what is it exactly?
It's a premium currency you can buy for real money that can be used to unlock stuff if you don't want to grind. Apparently some of it will drop in game to, but to what extent we don't know yet. I bet it's going to be something similat to injustice 2's premium currency where you get a little bit earned in game but not a lot.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

It really does devalue the main sellling point of the Switch version.

OP
OP
Santar

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Updated the OP with confirmation that the info was true.
Glad I canceled my pre-order yesterday, well more sad really as I love MK, but I don't buy games that are online only.