• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I've been thinking about this for a while.

DyG-AHGWkAA0tea.jpg:large

The games... well, I like them, on a surface level. But they're so overly gory these days that it severely diminishes my enjoyment. It was one thing when it was cartoon skulls flying all over the screen, but watching people get realistically ripped into pieces in the most torturous way possible is not at all entertaining.

But what is entertaining is the story, and the characters. They've created this great old school martial arts movie atmosphere with just the right amount of B-grade cheese. Characters grow and develop between games and I actually find myself becoming attached to fighting game characters beyond how cool they look or how good they play. It has it all - ancient ninja organizations, mystical objects, separate realms (including Heaven and Hell analogues), and of course, martial artists with psuedo-superpowers.

With how good the stories in the games are, I really think they should get a shot on some sort of other screen, whether it be the big one in the movie theater or the smaller one on our PCs or TVs (in a non-game form).

What do you think?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Uhh, my dude. Where do you think the new Shang Tsung skin in Mk11 comes from?

Oct 28, 2017
No studio is going to give this franchise the time, money or talent to elevate it. Its target audience is very small. At best you'll get some SyFy channel garbage.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
They did an online series recently (I never watched it).

Also Conquest wasn't too bad for a low budget 90s show, they decided to stick with (pre?) MK1 era which was an interesting choice.
But then they wanted to shoehorn in more modern characters like Scorpion and Noob, they had to make up new backstories to excuse it, like Noob was an ink monster or something. It was weird.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It fails every time, and the only reason the "story" is still somehow going is because they basically reset the timeline in MK11. MK is laughably bad plotwise since most of the attention the franchise gets is for the fatalities and watching every character die.

PettySpirit

Dec 23, 2018
...What?

Dude, the next character coming out is largely based on the incarnation of that character from the first movie SPECIFICALLY.

giphy.gif

VioletAcrobaticHound-size_restricted.gif

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I know the movie is coming, but I do think the franchise could support another show too. I remember liking Conquest at the time. You could explore a lot of corners of the mythology imo. Like imagine if Into the Badlands was actually set in Outworld (and was written a little better).

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We've had several in the past and another is coming soon. Not sure what else there is to add to the topic given that.

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's getting a movie.

IMO, it'll be the highest grossing VG movie of all time as well. MK is the only VG franchise that has the ability to do amazing at the BO.