• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
My dreams:

Tony Jaa as Liu Kang, Iko Uwais as Scorpion, Yayan Ruhian (Mad Dog in The Raid) as Shang Tsung, Donnie Yen as Raiden, Michael Jai White as Jax and so on.

Directed by Gareth Evans.
Director is Simon McQuoid though. :p

The thing in general with most cast/wishlists is that they may be close to how the characters look in the games, but not close to the age of them or accurate to the main source.

Though is an issue with most games. Like we're supposed to believe Kasumi in Dead or Alive is under 17 years old in the first few games.

In the case of Mortal Kombat, Liu Kang is 21 in the first game, Johnny and Sonya are under 30 and so on.

So is kind of a double edged sword if they don't take liberties. 43 years old Tony Jaa would be a great Liu Kang, but not a good 21 years old, shy orphan monk/pacifist that Liu was in the first game/tournament.

So changes will be aplenty for the sake of making people happy (people would riot if they cast relative unknowns and young actors -for example Tyler Posey eould be a great Johnny Cage as far as age, looks and attitude- yet many wishlists has Ryan Reynolds as a top choice).

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MK: The movie featured fatalities. You get to see Scorpion's mask pull, Shang Tsung's soul steal, and the Pit Fatality in the movie. And, though technically not a fatality but rather a friendship, you see Johnny Cage drop his autograph. Sub-Zero decapitating the generic soldier with his freeze is also supposed to be a reference to the head rip fatality intended to get in at PG-13.

MK: Armageddon also featured several fataliites, like Cryax's explosion fatality and, ugh, animalities including Liu Kang's Dragon animality from MK2 and 3.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
How many films will focus on the tournament aspect of the storyline?, assuming that it becomes a fully fledged series? Could it end up being as integral as the boxing matches in Rocky, or will they transition out of it line the more recent games?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In fact, MK: The movie had a ton of references from the game, all that actually worked and didn't feel like needless pandering. In addition to 3 fatalities and a friendship making their way into the movie, every character in the movie did their signature move: Kano attacks with a knife, Sonya does the leg neck grab, Johnny Cage does the nut punch and shadow kick, Scorpion uses his spear, sub-zero uses his freeze, shang tsung morphs into people, Reptile turns invisible and spits acid, Raiden uses his lightning attack and teleports, and Liu Kang uses both the bicycle kick and the dragon fireball.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still think that "grounded"/realistic pitch video starring Scorpion from a few years ago would have been a cool direction

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
My non-native english mind reading the title

ep13QIn.png

Apr 24, 2018
The original MK movie was the first PG-13 movie I ever saw in third grade. As bad/cheesy as it was, there's a weird sort of nostalgia for me with that film. Probably won't bother watching this unless the general consensus is that it turns out to be a decent/entertaining film, though.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The tweet said fatalities for the first time but didn't the older movies had some pg13 fatalities?
I remember specifically an animality in the shitty sequels...

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Well, 90s kids can now watch R-rated movies so it makes sense. It didn't make sense back then because their audience was kids and teens.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
A) I had no idea they were doing a Mortal Kombat movie reboot

B) I hope they don't go too far with this. It's not like I wouldn't expect gore from an MK movie. The first Mortal Kombat movie is rewatchable to me. It's just if they spam modern day fatalities in this movie its going to be a pretty big turn off to me. I've just never been big into fatalities and they've only gotten worse over time :/

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So who is going to be the combat choreographer of this thing? Probably the most relevant information...

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Subzero did a fatality in the old movie. Oh and Liu Kang did a mini pit-like fatality on Shang Tsung. Sonya also killed Kano. Granted they weren't very gory.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
MK: The movie featured fatalities. You get to see Scorpion's mask pull, Shang Tsung's soul steal, and the Pit Fatality in the movie. And, though technically not a fatality but rather a friendship, you see Johnny Cage drop his autograph. Sub-Zero decapitating the generic soldier with his freeze is also supposed to be a reference to the head rip fatality intended to get in at PG-13.

MK: Armageddon also featured several fataliites, like Cryax's explosion fatality and, ugh, animalities including Liu Kang's Dragon animality from MK2 and 3.
This.

There are tons of fatalities on the first movie, there's just no ripped guts/muscles/scarred bodies.

now just bring back the song and we're in there
But much more importantly, this.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Was mortal kombag legacy good?
Was that the machinima produced one that had a power ranger and Casper Van Dien?

I enjoyed it a lot. The first season was hit or miss but mostly did a great job of setting the stage (I forget if Liu Kang was in season 1 or 2). Season 2 was the tournament and was a lot worse. Partially because they swapped out Johnny's power ranger for Casper Van Dien (I love me some Casper, but he is not a physical actor) and mostly just because it stopped doing most of the world building. Although the Scorpion/Sub-Zero and Liu Kang stuff were interesting

I think with a season 3 it could have been great. As it stands, 1+2 is a lot like Blade 1+2 in terms of "For the time, this was pretty good. But it really should have been so much better"

Oct 25, 2017
I like my martial arts movies violent, so I hope it's comparable to The Raid / The Night Comes for Us.

Oh, and find a part for Julie Estelle.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
I think with a season 3 it could have been great. As it stands, 1+2 is a lot like Blade 1+2 in terms of "For the time, this was pretty good. But it really should have been so much better"
The weird thing is that Season 3 was filmed and ready for/based on MKX...yet was never released. Outside the pictures of Casper as Johnny, the actor playing Kung Jin shared a few too... but WB decided to not release it. Either something was fucked up or it was just bad.

Deleted member 42472

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
The weird thing is that Season 3 was filmed and ready for/based on MKX...yet was never released. Outside the pictures of Casper as Johnny, the actor playing Kung Jin shared a few too... but WB decided to not release it. Either something was fucked up or it was just bad.
Time has no meaning, but wasn't this around the time machinima REALLY started to fall apart?

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
He kinda confirmed this to me on twitter back in jan but good to have an official tweet about it finally.