• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering doing another refinance myself. I went from 30yr/5% -> 20yr/3.75% in February and I think I can get to 2.75% or lower depending on how many years (15/20/30) I go for.

The big question is what my appraisal would be. I have PMI still, and I'd like to get it off, which normally requires a refinance. I figure I might have to pay to get up to the 20% to refinance without PMI if the appraisal isn't high enough.

Our last refinance we got PMI removed and did it without an appraisal but I know there is a specific formula they use to calculate that

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
so, i've finally been making good money again in the last year, and was recently offered an even better paying gig as 1099/contract. beyond said, pay, the quality of work/commute/schedule etc would all be better, and this position would help pay down the last of my debt & get back to saving for said house, while seeing what the market does this year.

i know the 1099 change will complicate things a bit, but is there anything else to know here? realistically, i'd be looking to go in on something by the late fall/winter at the earliest anyway.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
so, i've finally been making good money again in the last year, and was recently offered an even better paying gig as 1099/contract. beyond said, pay, the quality of work/commute/schedule etc would all be better, and this position would help pay down the last of my debt & get back to saving for said house, while seeing what the market does this year.

i know the 1099 change will complicate things a bit, but is there anything else to know here? realistically, i'd be looking to go in on something by the late fall/winter at the earliest anyway.

Congrats on the higher pay.
Is your contract guaranteed? Are you being paid as a Sole Prop or Corporation. Have you elected to have taxes withheld?

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
Congrats on the higher pay.
Is your contract guaranteed? Are you being paid as a Sole Prop or Corporation. Have you elected to have taxes withheld?

thanks! pretty sure it is not currently guaranteed, though the field is really steady. i believe i'd be a sole prop, and i'm speaking with my accountant about how best to handle taxes - is there anything to know about that, regarding applying for mortgage?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
thanks! pretty sure it is not currently guaranteed, though the field is really steady. i believe i'd be a sole prop, and i'm speaking with my accountant about how best to handle taxes - is there anything to know about that, regarding applying for mortgage?

If you're in the same industry now as a contractor that you were W2 you're good to go you just have to be careful not to write off too much income on your taxes. If you made $100k for instance but write off $80k then the qualifying income would be only $20k. That's the biggest thing to keep in mind

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Is this still a good thread to ask questions?
I'm about to start the process and get a pre-approval for the loan.

I was just going to use my credit union. Should be doing multiple pre-approvals?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Is this still a good thread to ask questions?
I'm about to start the process and get a pre-approval for the loan.

I was just going to use my credit union. Should be doing multiple pre-approvals?

I would absolutely not use a credit union. Turn times for an approval are long, escrow period is long, everything is just long. Find a broker in your area. You'll only need 1 approval and it will be good for every bank they have a license with. Just look up mortgage brokers on Yelp for your area. Where do you live?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I would absolutely not use a credit union. Turn times for an approval are long, escrow period is long, everything is just long. Find a broker in your area. You'll only need 1 approval and it will be good for every bank they have a license with. Just look up mortgage brokers on Yelp for your area. Where do you live?
I'm in the Dallas area.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I'm in the Dallas area.

Try this guy:
yelp.to

Christian Johnson - Caliber Home Loans - Dallas, TX

Specialties: Unique properties, luxury properties, condos, single family, townhomes in the in-town neighborhoods including: Uptown, Highland Park, University Park, Preston Hollow, Kessler Park, M-Streets, Lakewood, Lake Highlands. *Caliber cannot accept mortgage loan applications or inquiries...

I don't know him but Caliber is a strong lender right now. Great rates on conventional. If you're doing FHA I'll have to find someone connected to wholesale

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Try this guy:
yelp.to

Christian Johnson - Caliber Home Loans - Dallas, TX

Specialties: Unique properties, luxury properties, condos, single family, townhomes in the in-town neighborhoods including: Uptown, Highland Park, University Park, Preston Hollow, Kessler Park, M-Streets, Lakewood, Lake Highlands. *Caliber cannot accept mortgage loan applications or inquiries...

I don't know him but Caliber is a strong lender right now. Great rates on conventional. If you're doing FHA I'll have to find someone connected to wholesale
Thank you. Do you mind if send a quick PM?
Won't bother you too much.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
I am going to be moving to the Phoenix, AZ area, and I'd rather not rent. I currently own a home in WI, I am planning on putting it up for rent. I am wondering how likely it would be to get a new mortgage around the time I start at my new job. Does anyone have recommendations for an organization contact in that area to see if what I want to do is feasible?

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I am going to be moving to the Phoenix, AZ area, and I'd rather not rent. I currently own a home in WI, I am planning on putting it up for rent. I am wondering how likely it would be to get a new mortgage around the time I start at my new job. Does anyone have recommendations for an organization contact in that area to see if what I want to do is feasible?

Ramius you know I got you why you posting message in a bottle style when I'm right here to pick up your question.

I'm going to give you the math behind it so you can figure it out.

ADD THE INCOME
First take what you think your total income is:

- Gross monthly income
- theoretical rental income X 75% (You can only count 75% of your rents)

MINUS YOUR DEBT
Take all debt and subtract including the current mortgage

Calculate your affordable mortgage.
Take that Income with the debt subtracted and that is now your qualifying income. Now multiply it by 45% that amount is the MAXIMUM your new mortgage can be for.

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Ramius you know I got you why you posting message in a bottle style when I'm right here to pick up your question.

I'm going to give you the math behind it so you can figure it out.

ADD THE INCOME
First take what you think your total income is:

- Gross monthly income
- theoretical rental income X 75% (You can only count 75% of your rents)

MINUS YOUR DEBT
Take all debt and subtract including the current mortgage

Calculate your affordable mortgage.
Take that Income with the debt subtracted and that is now your qualifying income. Now multiply it by 45% that amount is the MAXIMUM your new mortgage can be for.
When you say DEBT is that loans and CC balance?

Edit: thank you as always! I figured someone else could benefit from an answer here.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
When you say DEBT is that loans and CC balance?

Edit: thank you as always! I figured someone else could benefit from an answer here.

Oh yeah sorry for not clarifying. Debt is broken down into 3 types:

Installment: Car loans, recreational loans, personal, HELOCs, Mortgages
Revolving: credit cards
Student: Da tru devil

So for you count your car loans, any student loans, credit cards(only if you don't pay them off every month and only count the MINIMUM required payment not the payment you make).

DO NOT COUNT - Utilities or any other personal expenses line cell phone bills or your Hulu account

CrazyIvan1978

Oct 27, 2017
Wisconsin
Oh yeah sorry for not clarifying. Debt is broken down into 3 types:

Installment: Car loans, recreational loans, personal, HELOCs, Mortgages
Revolving: credit cards
Student: Da tru devil

So for you count your car loans, any student loans, credit cards(only if you don't pay them off every month and only count the MINIMUM required payment not the payment you make).

DO NOT COUNT - Utilities or any other personal expenses line cell phone bills or your Hulu account
You are awesome, not sure if you heard this today!

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm the in the middle of trying to purchase my first home and was initially working with 3 lenders, trying to get a good rate. There was an offer I tried to put in and needed to get a letter from someone. Since they were all comparable in terms of rate and monthly cost estimates I arbitrarily picked the first one that I could reach since I was on a tight deadline and pretty much ghosted the others when they tried to call me back since I was on a lot of other calls.

What's the etiquette here, especially if that offer fell through? Do I tell the lenders I didn't pick that I went with someone else on that offer? Did I burn some bridges by not returning the calls? Am I necessarily stuck with the one lender I went with?

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm the in the middle of trying to purchase my first home and was initially working with 3 lenders, trying to get a good rate. There was an offer I tried to put in and needed to get a letter from someone. Since they were all comparable in terms of rate and monthly cost estimates I arbitrarily picked the first one that I could reach since I was on a tight deadline and pretty much ghosted the others when they tried to call me back since I was on a lot of other calls.

What's the etiquette here, especially if that offer fell through? Do I tell the lenders I didn't pick that I went with someone else on that offer? Did I burn some bridges by not returning the calls? Am I necessarily stuck with the one lender I went with?
The pre approval letter has no strings attached. We also used the same letter for months knowing we were going to go with another lender. Tell them or not it doesn't matter ...there is no burning bridges they're used to getting ghosted. When it comes down to it they'll do anything to get your money if you go back to any of them.

SeaSilver

Banned
Dec 28, 2020
As greepoman said, you can switch lenders for whatever reason. The pre-approval letter commits you to nothing. I highly recommend that you go through the full pre-approval process with several lenders so you can compare their final rates and fee disclosures.

You can also actually use a different lender even after your offer is accepted. Your financing is only finalized during the start of escrow. I did that myself last minute because my realtor recommended that I call a lender she knew, just to compare rates. I'm super glad I did because my final lender (Optimum First Mortgage) had a rate ~0.15% lower than everyone else I'd tried so far, and they had a promo going where they refunded the appraisal and some other fees.

Good luck!

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Aren't rates most likely going to go up in the next year or two? Are you prepared for that? ARM seems risky right now.

not too worried, 7 years is a long time and I'm planning on making more money in 7 years for sure, plus I might want to move. I stayed in last house for 7. If rates move up my payment would max around 1000 more then what I would pay now. I would either just pay it till I moved or refinance for 15 years

Also 7 years the rate might have risen " like it will next year" then come back down by the time my 7 year lock is up

Last edited:

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
The pre approval letter has no strings attached. We also used the same letter for months knowing we were going to go with another lender. Tell them or not it doesn't matter ...there is no burning bridges they're used to getting ghosted. When it comes down to it they'll do anything to get your money if you go back to any of them.

As greepoman said, you can switch lenders for whatever reason. The pre-approval letter commits you to nothing. I highly recommend that you go through the full pre-approval process with several lenders so you can compare their final rates and fee disclosures.

You can also actually use a different lender even after your offer is accepted. Your financing is only finalized during the start of escrow. I did that myself last minute because my realtor recommended that I call a lender she knew, just to compare rates. I'm super glad I did because my final lender (Optimum First Mortgage) had a rate ~0.15% lower than everyone else I'd tried so far, and they had a promo going where they refunded the appraisal and some other fees.

Good luck!
Thanks guys. Good to know that a letter isn't a commitment.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I need help with this. I inquired about my lender dropping PMI and they dropped it right before the month ended. So they sent me a new statement on the day that I had scheduled my payment with pmi included and the additional principle that I do monthly. The transaction history on their website now has this funds held in suspense thing and it's been like that for over 10 days, it also doesn't include my principal only payment. Is this normal?