• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
What's the adequate income to mortgage ratio? Isn't it 3x times income? So if you make 100k household income, you can afford a 300k montage and still live comfortably?

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
What's the adequate income to mortgage ratio? Isn't it 3x times income? So if you make 100k household income, you can afford a 300k montage and still live comfortably?
That's the general rule, yeah, but you of course have to take into consideration your other expenses. Like, whether or not you have kids, car payment(s), etc.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
That's the general rule, yeah, but you of course have to take into consideration your other expenses. Like, whether or not you have kids, car payment(s), etc.
Also property taxes I'm guessing, but aren't those added to the mortgage payments, correct?

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I will assume you are not referring to qualifying for a mortgage, but instead what you can actually afford.

To be blunt, please don't use a random formula to determine this.

Make a budget.

1. Determine your monthly income.
2. Add up the average of every monthly expense you have - excluding rent or current housing payment.
3. Subtract expenses from income and determine bottom line.
4. Determine how little you would be willing to keep of that bottom line as extra each month.
5. Subtract #4 from #3 and you have the housing payment that makes sense for you and your family.
6. Have a loan officer help you determine how much house that monthly payment would represent.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I will assume you are not referring to qualifying for a mortgage, but instead what you can actually afford.

To be blunt, please don't use a random formula to determine this.

Make a budget.

1. Determine your monthly income.
2. Add up the average of every monthly expense you have - excluding rent or current housing payment.
3. Subtract expenses from income and determine bottom line.
4. Determine how little you would be willing to keep of that bottom line as extra each month.
5. Subtract #4 from #3 and you have the housing payment that makes sense for you and your family.
6. Have a loan officer help you determine how much house that monthly payment would represent.
I'm assuming mostly to avoid being house poor. I've seen many people qualify for mortgages and sign them only to get killed with the extra expense and basically living paycheck to paycheck once they start living their homes. Also these people have rather nice salaries, but since the ratios were off they were mostly house poor and the household income was a moot point.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh. I just went with lowest apr I could find and put 10% down. PMI will end up costing about 5k but it's worth it to me. I'd rather have extra cash in Bank account. The whole process seemed VERY simple.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm assuming mostly to avoid being house poor. I've seen many people qualify for mortgages and sign them only to get killed with the extra expense and basically living paycheck to paycheck once they start living their homes. Also these people have rather nice salaries, but since the ratios were off they were mostly house poor and the household income was a moot point.

Absolutely. Most people qualify for far more house than they would actually want to pay for each month. That's why working backwards and with a budget is paramount. I do this with most of my clients. By way of a budget, we determine the housing payment they can afford, and then work up a mortgage that reflects that payment based on current market rates, etc

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh. I just went with lowest apr I could find and put 10% down. PMI will end up costing about 5k but it's worth it to me. I'd rather have extra cash in Bank account. The whole process seemed VERY simple.

If your paperwork is in order, you easily qualify, you get lucky with a good lender, and don't care about the fine detail - it can seem very easy. For sure.

For example - lowest APR is not necessarily the lowest note rate, which is what your payment is based off of. APR in the mortgage world is simply a reflection of the note rate + fees. And best of all, APR is usually an estimated figure. Do this - ask any LO what an APR is comprised of and tell me how many different answers you get.

I can't tell you how many times someone has told me they're getting a better APR from someone else, yet when we review the figures, the rate and the fees are higher because it's an "estimated APR."

Or, my APR is slightly higher because my fees are indeed higher. But my rate is lower. And by paying an extra $500 in fees with me, the payment is also $50 lower a month. So in 10 months, that client would break even and forever save more with me. Make sense?

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If your paperwork is in order, you easily qualify, you get lucky with a good lender, and don't care about the fine detail - it can seem very easy. For sure.

For example - lowest APR is not necessarily the lowest note rate, which is what your payment is based off of. APR in the mortgage world is simply a reflection of the note rate + fees. And best of all, APR is usually an estimated figure. Do this - ask any LO what an APR is comprised of and tell me how many different answers you get.

I can't tell you how many times someone has told me they're getting a better APR from someone else, yet when we review the figures, the rate and the fees are higher because it's an "estimated APR."

Or, my APR is slightly higher because my fees are indeed higher. But my rate is lower. And by paying an extra $500 in fees with me, the payment is also $50 lower a month. So in 10 months, that client would break even and forever save more with me. Make sense?
Sure, but it's not as complex as you are describing. In fact that's the reason why I went with random online company. They had higher fee but % was lower AND they tend to offer much lower PMI (in my case it's about 75 bucks a month for 5 years for putting only 10% down for 320k mortgage).

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure, but it's not as complex as you are describing. In fact that's the reason why I went with random online company. They had higher fee but % was lower AND they tend to offer much lower PMI (in my case it's about 75 bucks a month for 5 years for putting only 10% down for 320k mortgage).

No, it's definitely not complex to look at numbers on a screen to make a decision. But that does not necessarily mean that you get the best deal that way. Everything about the numbers are negotiable. That's why I highly advise using an actual human being that is in your Market. From that perspective, it is far more complex. But I understand that the trend with consumers is to feel more comfortable punching numbers into a software tool, having number spit back out and measuring them against them other numbers, while eliminating their negotiating power and ability to customize a product that makes the most sense for their life and financial goals. Mortgages should not be treated like ordering a cheeseburger.

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
Just a quick thought/note on how much someone can afford and being house poor. I think Hokahey has been giving some great advice that you really need to plan and budget beforehand instead of using some "rule of thumb". Any loan officer that's worth using should be able to help you with this process.

Just because you are pre-approved (and hell, even lender approved) for a mortgage doesn't mean you can actually afford it. I can approve a loan that has a 50% DTI which is absolutely insane in some cases. And you have to remember that we qualify you based on GROSS income, not NET INCOME. Add in all the extra costs of owning a home that we don't take into account for your DTI and you could find yourself living paycheck to paycheck real quick.

For example, say you are "debt free" on your credit report (no auto loans/leases, all your credit cards currently have a $0 balance, and you have no student loans). You make $3,200/mo in gross income. As you are looking at homes you find a house that you think is out of your price range and your gut is telling you to forget about it, but after speaking to a Loan Officer you find out you can get pre-approved for this house. Awesome! You go through the entire loan process and close on the home with a monthly mortgage payment of $1,575 (you've decided to escrow and this includes principal, interest, taxes and insurance); since you had no other debt reporting on credit we've just approved your mortgage with a DTI of 49.22% ($1,575 / $3,200). That's all fine and dandy, but you don't actually take home $3,200/mo. Don't forget all your payroll deductions that aren't factored into your DTI such as income taxes, health insurance, 401k contributions, etc... You now have a significant portion of your take home income being used to pay just the mortgage. Oh, and now you have the extra expenses of owning a home - gas bills, electric bills, water bills, cable/internet. You now might just be scraping by paycheck to paycheck just to pay the mortgage and house related bills - hopefully you don't want to lease a new car or expect to be paying credit cards in full each month. You are now a house poor homeowner that really should have listened to their gut instincts. And if you really didn't do your planning and spent all your savings trying to put a down payment on the house you better keep your fingers crossed nothing will go wrong with the house (spoiler alert - things will go wrong) because they get expense very fast. One blown furnace in the middle of winter could easily put you underwater.

Bottom line - do yourself a favor and do some planning/budgeting before you buy. A house will likely be the biggest investment in your life, so don't just guess about everything and rush into it. If you want to buy a house start planning immediately so that once you do start looking you are confident that you can pull the trigger on that perfect home you found.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from buying a house, but we're far enough removed from the housing crisis that the guidelines that lenders have to follow are being more and more relaxed each month so that more people can be qualified to buy a house.

bm1677

Oct 28, 2017
Just to piggy back on a couple items for this one:

Not very good. 99.9% of the time, you would have to actually be in the job before the income would be allowable. Otherwise, how does the lender know you are actually starting the position? That's the logic used anyway.

While some lenders can qualify you on future income I personally think it's a bad idea. Even if your are being relocated half-way across the county I would consider renting first and starting that job. It will make both your life and the lenders life easier. There are enough hoops that the lender would likely make you jump through to use that future income that I don't find it is worth the headaches. And god forbid you do end up being qualified and the position falls through after you've closed on the loan.

Your parents cannot let you "borrow" money for a down payment. The only allowable funds would have to be constituted as a gift. They would be required to sign a letter that states you are not required to pay the funds back to them. However, if you chose to do so anyway, there's nothing stopping you of course.

Hit this on the nose. Either get those funds in the account early so they aren't on the statements the lender sees or they will be considered a gift. If it's a primary residence you should have no problem using them as gift funds (other than the few very specific scenarios that require a minimum borrower contribution).

In regards to the car and the Jet Ski, I hope that you have a bill of sale, receipt, and a full paper trail. Otherwise you're going to have a tough time having those funds be allowable.

Along with all of that a lot of lenders might require third party support of the value (think Kelly Blue Book) as a way to make sure you're not trying to "cheat the system" when it comes to assets. If you sell the car for $15,000 and it's only worth $5,000 you might only be able to use that $5,000. If you needed that extra $10,000 to qualify you are shit out of luck now. Again, if you plan on selling assets try to do it a few months beforehand so that the deposits are not the statements sent to the lender.

This is all stuff that having a good loan officer will help out with. These are all standard questions and scenarios and a good loan officer should walk you through them step by step. They should also be asking probing questions that would allow them to find out all this information so that they can give you the right advice.

100% this. Talk to a Loan Officer and if it doesn't feel almost like an interrogation they might not have your best interest in mind. If you walk in the door and after 5 minutes you get a pre-approval I'd run away from that LO as fast as you can - some people are just in it for the paycheck. And I see it day in and day out where the broker who sent me a loan to review was WAYYYYYYYYY off in their income calculation or didn't know simple guidelines when it comes to debts that will affect your qualification.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
100% this. Talk to a Loan Officer and if it doesn't feel almost like an interrogation they might not have your best interest in mind. If you walk in the door and after 5 minutes you get a pre-approval I'd run away from that LO as fast as you can - some people are just in it for the paycheck. And I see it day in and day out where the broker who sent me a loan to review was WAYYYYYYYYY off in their income calculation or didn't know simple guidelines when it comes to debts that will affect your qualification.

This is such a good post. Especially the interrogation bit.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can you explain why paying cash is an incentive to sellers? Do sellers not get all the money up front from the bank regardless?

Because it's a guaranteed sale. If someone needs a loan to buy the house, and is working with a crappy lender, their mortgage pre-approval might not be worth the paper it was written on.

Too often, mortgages get declined after the seller is under contract with the buyer. Then the seller is out of luck and has to go to the backup offers or relist.

Phonzo

Oct 26, 2017
Because it's a guaranteed sale. If someone needs a loan to buy the house, and is working with a crappy lender, their mortgage pre-approval might not be worth the paper it was written on.

Too often, mortgages get declined after the seller is under contract with the buyer. Then the seller is out of luck and has to go to the backup offers or relist.
Didnt realize that was a common enough issue to be a problem.

I always thought you go under contract after final approval or something.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
Hey Hokahey, I'd love to get your opinion on whether I should look for different mortgage offers or if the one I have is fair.

I was pre-qualified through a mortgage broker for a 30-year, $160,000 mortgage at 4% interest (based on an estimated $200,000 sale price where I'd plan on paying the 20% down) and the estimated closing costs are at about $9,000, which seems about right given what I'd read about closing costs (they should be about 2-5% of the sale price).

The confusing part to me is that in the cost worksheet provided by the broker there are separate line items lumped into a category called Prepaid Items/Reserves that are about another $6,000. These items include Daily Interest Charges, Hazard Insurance Premium, Hazard Insurance Reserves, and County Property Tax Reserves. As a first time home buyer, I didn't realize that the broker would collect all of those payments up front (I didn't know much about escrow before last week, either). Should these Prepaid Items/Reserves be considered closing costs or are they really their own separate thing? If they are part of the closing costs, then I'd be paying about 7.5% of the sale price in fees up front which doesn't seem like a good deal, especially because my credit score is hovering awfully close to 800.

It may be a good mortgage offer, but I'm just unsure about how to interpret all of the costs, so if you could help set me straight, it'd be greatly appreciated.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Wife and I are quickly realizing that the house we bought in the fall of 2016 is too small for our needs. We've had a second kid since then (so now an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old) with no dedicated play area and their rooms are too small to be used as playrooms.

So, long story short we're looking to upsize just so slightly. I'll need a dedicated office since I work remotely and maybe two additional living spaces.

Is Rocket Mortgage worth going through to get preapproved? As I understand it it's kind of like Geico where there's no local agents you'll deal with but instead a call center system. I've had a good experience with Geico so far, but there's probably less at stake with insurance than mortgage applications.

If not, how do have you guys gone about finding who to go with to get preapproved? The previous two times we've gone with either who our agent recommended or in the current situation our credit union.

Oct 30, 2017
Wife and I are quickly realizing that the house we bought in the fall of 2016 is too small for our needs. We've had a second kid since then (so now an almost 4 year old and a 1 year old) with no dedicated play area and their rooms are too small to be used as playrooms.

So, long story short we're looking to upsize just so slightly. I'll need a dedicated office since I work remotely and maybe two additional living spaces.

Is Rocket Mortgage worth going through to get preapproved? As I understand it it's kind of like Geico where there's no local agents you'll deal with but instead a call center system. I've had a good experience with Geico so far, but there's probably less at stake with insurance than mortgage applications.

If not, how do have you guys gone about finding who to go with to get preapproved? The previous two times we've gone with either who our agent recommended or in the current situation our credit union.
In my case, I found an amazing agent to work with. From there I asked them if they had recommendatations for lenders or brokers and went from there.

Last edited:

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
In my case, I found an amazing agent to work with. From there I ask them if they had recommendataions for lenders or brokers and went from there.
Yeah that probably seems the easiest route. We met an agent we really liked at an open house. I just am weary of unknowns in a relationship between agents and brokers, if that makes sense.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
OP, this post is amazing. I'd love more information re: selling and buying at the same time. For example, how do they confirm my down payment if my down payment is coming entirely from equity in my house that I haven't sold yet? That kinda stuff. But this is the guide I wish I had before I bought my first house. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, this post is amazing. I'd love more information re: selling and buying at the same time. For example, how do they confirm my down payment if my down payment is coming entirely from equity in my house that I haven't sold yet? That kinda stuff. But this is the guide I wish I had before I bought my first house. Thank you.
It's a paper transaction. Your Mortgage Agent/Loan Officer will draft up the documents saying the sale of house A will pay for house B. The lawyer then uses this as instruction on closing. If there is extra, it is disseminated to the seller. This is why appraisals are so important. We need to know the money is there.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know if a lender is offering you a fair rate? The lender we're pre-approved with had a 3.875% rate (on a conventional 30 year fixed with 20% down) back in November, but today when I said "hey what are your rates looking like?" I got "the best we can do is 4.25%" which kind of reeks of bullshit. I know a lot goes into what they can and can't offer, but it's difficult for me to know how competitive or not that rate is without re-shopping around (which I plan to do based on that response).

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How do you know if a lender is offering you a fair rate? The lender we're pre-approved with had a 3.875% rate (on a conventional 30 year fixed with 20% down) back in November, but today when I said "hey what are your rates looking like?" I got "the best we can do is 4.25%" which kind of reeks of bullshit. I know a lot goes into what they can and can't offer, but it's difficult for me to know how competitive or not that rate is without re-shopping around (which I plan to do based on that response).

Rates have gone through the freaking roof. If you are getting a 4.25 you were getting a stellar deal.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You're very welcome. Will the sale of your house be completed prior to the closing on the new property?

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Your agent will always have someone they recommend because it is their referral partner. Sometimes that is a good thing, sometimes it is a bad thing. I would always recommend using someone that hopefully someone you know can recommend you to. And while this thread was never in solicitation of business I can always help people out as well. Feel free to message me if you're in need of a referral or would like me to help you.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Rates have gone through the freaking roof. If you are getting a 4.25 you were getting a stellar deal.

Yikes. Makes me think twice about purchasing soon but having no idea if or when rates might go back to those levels isn't a great feeling.

Appreciate the response though, this thread is super useful!

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Just want to say that I bought a home through Caliber Home Loans even though I work at a large bank, and it was insanely straightforward and easy. Got 30 years locked in at 3.75% Nov. 2016. Incredible happy with that.

I refinanced to a 15-year mortgage last year and Caliber now owns the note. Good experiences so far.

OP - fantastic post! I'm obsessed with mortgages as well. Will have my place paid off when I'm 60, then it's retirement time.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I just went through the whole process. I went with a local mortgage broker that my realtor recommended because I had to make an offer within 24 hours of the listing and the broker was able to get me the required pre-approval letter on a Saturday afternoon! A stark contrast to my mid-sized bank that didn't even have their loan officer contact me after my visit and request to get paperwork started for a pre-approval. -_-

Glad I went with the local broker. We scheduled for closing 4 weeks after offer got accepted but he got everything done so quickly, we could have closed in 2 weeks. We also noticed a large repair issue popup on final walk through and he was able to make all the arrangement for redoing escrows and payments within 24 hours. If that had gotten delayed even a day or so, my rate was going up from 4.125% to 4.625% if I wasn't willing to pay more to extend the lock. -_- Sure, some of the fees were more expensive but the rate was very competitive and the quick responsiveness is something worth paying for.

Hokahey - Quick question. When I pay extra into principal, is the ratio of the interest to principal in the next payment adjusted daily or monthly?

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just went through the whole process. I went with a local mortgage broker that my realtor recommended because I had to make an offer within 24 hours of the listing and the broker was able to get me the required pre-approval letter on a Saturday afternoon! A stark contrast to my mid-sized bank that didn't even have their loan officer contact me after my visit and request to get paperwork started for a pre-approval. -_-

Glad I went with the local broker. We scheduled for closing 4 weeks after offer got accepted but he got everything done so quickly, we could have closed in 2 weeks. We also noticed a large repair issue popup on final walk through and he was able to make all the arrangement for redoing escrows and payments within 24 hours. If that had gotten delayed even a day or so, my rate was going up from 4.125% to 4.625% if I wasn't willing to pay more to extend the lock. -_- Sure, some of the fees were more expensive but the rate was very competitive and the quick responsiveness is something worth paying for.

Hokahey - Quick question. When I pay extra into principal, is the ratio of the interest to principal in the next payment adjusted daily or monthly?

Monthly.

dionysus_jr

Oct 31, 2017
On the house poor stuff, it is frankly crazy how much you can qualify for especially if you can put some money down. I recently was relocated by my company and bought a new house without selling my old house yet, so I had to qualify for the new mortgage on top of the old one. Just the 2 mortgages they qualified me to borrow 4.4x my yearly income. If you add in the high property taxes at my new location and that reduces the amount you can borrow, it is like being qualified for 5.5x my yearly income.

Good thing I sold my old house almost right after closing, otherwise I couldn't make those payments without drawing down savings even if I cut back my monthly budget.

I'd also never recommend doing what I did unless you have a corporate relocation backstopping you. My company would buy my old house from me at appraised value at any time, so I was not really taking any risk.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just wonder how high monthly payments are if you are putting down nothing.

We found a few properties we like that are eligible based on their address, and range from 135-200k.

I would recommend Googling mortgage calculator, inputting the loan amount and use an interest rate in the high 4s to calculate a monthly payment. You then need to think about PMI, taxes and insurance for the property, which would probably be another $3-400 total based on the price point you're looking at.

Also, you have to qualify for that program just as much as the property does. There are Income caps and things like that. You'll definitely want to talk to a loan officer before getting too deep into planning and budgeting to make sure you even qualify.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
On the house poor stuff, it is frankly crazy how much you can qualify for especially if you can put some money down. I recently was relocated by my company and bought a new house without selling my old house yet, so I had to qualify for the new mortgage on top of the old one. Just the 2 mortgages they qualified me to borrow 4.4x my yearly income. If you add in the high property taxes at my new location and that reduces the amount you can borrow, it is like being qualified for 5.5x my yearly income.

Good thing I sold my old house almost right after closing, otherwise I couldn't make those payments without drawing down savings even if I cut back my monthly budget.

I'd also never recommend doing what I did unless you have a corporate relocation backstopping you. My company would buy my old house from me at appraised value at any time, so I was not really taking any risk.

I used to be a relocation specific loan officer. It really is an interesting world and the benefits provided are sometimes pretty stunning. If it weren't for the relocation packages a lot of people would not be able to make the move.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The other tip I would add is that if you pull it off right, you can refinance your mortgage (called a cash-out refinance) to include your student loan debt if your equity increases. Your mortgage and interest rate will change, but if you sell the house at a gain in the future, your student debt is wiped out, gone, kaputz.

peteykirch

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend Googling mortgage calculator, inputting the loan amount and use an interest rate in the high 4s to calculate a monthly payment. You then need to think about PMI, taxes and insurance for the property, which would probably be another $3-400 total based on the price point you're looking at.

Also, you have to qualify for that program just as much as the property does. There are Income caps and things like that. You'll definitely want to talk to a loan officer before getting too deep into planning and budgeting to make sure you even qualify.

Well, going off the basis of the income maximums we would just squeak in under the highest threshold.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The other tip I would add is that if you pull it off right, you can refinance your mortgage (called a cash-out refinance) to include your student loan debt if your equity increases. Your mortgage and interest rate will change, but if you sell the house at a gain in the future, your student debt is wiped out, gone, kaputz.

Great point. People get super skittish about refinancing with rates going up, forgetting that rates tend to go up when the economy is doing well, which also tends to mean home prices are going up, which means people are gaining equity in their property. Sometimes, refinancing into a higher interest rate on a Cash out refinance and paying off other debts with that cash can work out better financially for you than keeping all of the debts the same.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well, going off the basis of the income maximums we would just squeak in under the highest threshold.

Sounds like good news, but the best advice I can give you is to assume nothing. Always best to have a loan officer check those things for you. You don't pay them for their consultative work so there's no reason not to use one, and you'll ultimately need one to close the loan anyway. You're also not stuck with whoever you have do that consultative work, and it may be a good way to gauge how helpful they are and how hard they want to work to earn your business.

Straight Edge

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My best tip is pay EXTRA monthly.

I always do 30 year loans just in case me ot my wife lose a job, the bill is as low as possible.

But I pay extra monthly which takes years off the loan.

My last house I paid double the principle monthly and 4 years later we decided to move and i was able to pay 20K off the loan so we made a good profit on the sale. If I paid minimum on 30 year loan our profit would have been minimal at best.

My new house though is more expensive so I cant pay double anymore but I do pay like 186 extra a month. Its not much but it adds up and I want the PMI gone ASAP while noy having a huge mortgage bill

Also file Homestead ASAP

We put just $40k down on the principle and cut our total interest over the life of the loan from $76K to $16K and shaved 18 years off our mortgage.

Canklestank

Oct 26, 2017
  1. A 30 year fixed rate mortgage is always the way to go, right?

It is certainly the most popular mortgage product, but not always the best. What if you are only planning to live in the property for 3 years? Why would you take out a 30 year fixed at 4% interest, instead of a 5 year ARM at 3%? You will move before your rate begins to adjust after 5 years! Additionally, what if you plan to retire in 20 years? You don't want another 10 years of mortgage payments after retirement, do you? Believe it or not, you can actually take out a mortgage with almost any repayment period you desire. Typically, 10 years is minimum, but you can customize your repayment period. Want a 27 year loan instead of 30? How about a 12 year instead of 15? Again – talk to a trusted loan officer that can help you weigh your options. Don't blindly accept a 30 year fixed rate mortgage just because it's a lower monthly payment.
I think it should be mentioned in the OP (probably in this section) how your mortgage term affects how much interest you pay. When I did the math on our house, if we paid it off in 30 years, we would almost end up paying for it twice. 99K of just interest. If we had gotten a 15 year rate, the interest would have dropped to 36K. Huge difference. Of course, you can also make extra payments to pay off a 30 year sooner, but you're doing it at the higher rate.

That may not bother everyone, but it was a gut-punch to me. And since it's front-loaded, if you don't pay extra, you'll build very little equity in the first few years. If you end up having to move, you've basically just paid rent, because you aren't getting any of it back.

IMO, everyone should be aware of the math and how it works before you buy a house. Especially when it's so easy to over-extend yourself because loaners aren't going to turn away your free interest money. See the subprime mortgage crisis.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
How bad of an idea are bridge loans?

We've found a house we really like but it needs some work. Mostly new flooring and replacing wallpaper with paint. Otherwise it's livable and we're okay with doing the other projects over time. This is the house we plan on being in until our kids are adults, after all.

We flirted with putting our current house on the market but backed off just because nothing was out there for us that met our needs.

How bad of an idea is a bridge loan to cover the cost of down payment and mortgage while we work on the potential new house and get our current house sold? Are there other options? My wife mentioned a home equity loan can be used for similar purposes, but I'm unclear.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, haven't even made one payment and my loan got sold to Chase...

The Chase portal says "Next Payment Due" April 1st, 2018. The late fees start from April 15th. So should I be paying before April 1st or can I pay anytime between 1st and 15th?

(The reason I am asking is because the first payment is due to Chase but because of the loan being moved. Original lien holder said any payments after 23 March should go to Chase. Chase says any payments before 1st April should go to original loaner.)

Shake Appeal

Oct 27, 2017
If there are large, non-payroll deposits showing on those statements, the mortgage underwriter will ask you to provide proof of source. Maybe this is relatively easy because the deposit is from stock you liquidated, but you will still have to show a paper trail proving that. What a pain. Or, maybe you had the money stuffed in your mattress because you don't trust banks and cannot prove it's source. This is a problem. Point being, do your best to "season" that down payment money for 2 months and turn in easy to read bank statements that will not require a lot of additional documentation.
It's funny, my wife and I got two significant deposits from her parents to help us with the downpayment, and I was all prepared to explain where they came from (we got a notarized letter from her parents explaining it was a one-time gift with no expectation of repayment) ... but no one ever asked about it.

OP
OP
Hokahey

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's funny, my wife and I got two significant deposits from her parents to help us with the downpayment, and I was all prepared to explain where they came from (we got a notarized letter from her parents explaining it was a one-time gift with no expectation of repayment) ... but no one ever asked about it.

If the deposits were made prior to the bank statements that you provided for the loan then they would not question them. If the deposits were on the bank statements, you had the laziest underwriter of all time. Haha

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, haven't even made one payment and my loan got sold to Chase...

The Chase portal says "Next Payment Due" April 1st, 2018. The late fees start from April 15th. So should I be paying before April 1st or can I pay anytime between 1st and 15th?

(The reason I am asking is because the first payment is due to Chase but because of the loan being moved. Original lien holder said any payments after 23 March should go to Chase. Chase says any payments before 1st April should go to original loaner.)

Without speaking for Chase (I worked for a number of large banks but Chase wasn't one) but having run into the same thing on my mortgage, what they're actually saying is the 4/1 payment should go to Chase. Given that you already have the new servicing information, they already have the back end to accept payments. You wouldn't, however, make the 3/1 payment to Chase.

And while I never advise any of my members to do it, a payment made before the 15th wouldn't be considered delinquent, yes.