• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ondor

Oct 25, 2017
The wait for the first Destiny drove me crazy. I followed Bungie really closely when they split from Microsoft especially because they just finished the fantastic Reach. Not sure if it helped or made it worse but I joined their forums and discussed every little bit of info they released.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Had to be TP and Brawl. Both were disappointments so I never really hyped up games quite like that ever again.

Back then it was harder to find distractions. I would replay the older Zeldas to get excited for the new one. also was in school so lots of daydreaming about how sweet Twilight Princess was gonna be. which made the wait harder.

now I just pass the time with youtube or twitch or podcasts or one of 8 million other distractions. the wait between titles doesn't feel as long these days. there's so much stuff coming out at any given time.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
weird, i tend to just not think at all about games up until maybe 2-3 days before release. having a massive backlog and multiplayer games i always enjoy playing i guess makes me fairly indifferent. I'm pretty excited to play ring fit tomorrow, outer worlds and modern warfare next week but if you told me all 3 games were delayed 2 years i wouldn't care

i know death stranding and star wars jedi fallen order are out in Nov but i couldn't tell you the exact dates and i don't even really think about them until the night before

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
My wait for Doom Eternal is the most painful I've had, especially since it got delayed to March next year. I assumed Doom 2016 would be getting a sequel since it was so good, so I've pretty much been waiting for four years and now have to wait another 5 months.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Mario Maker 2. I thought as a grown man with a family I would have outgrown that sort of desperate soul sucking hype for a game, but apparently not! Worth the wait though, I played it for 200 hours in a month, got into the top 50 makers in the world, and then got tennis elbow from playing too much and had to 'retire' haha.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy X as a kid. I remember looking at a poster at the local game store almost every day. Then when it released, i did not have a PS2 (which i knew). After about a year of nagging to my mother i finally got the PS2 with FFX. Happiest day of my life (at that time).

orange_googoo

Jul 30, 2018
Germany (Bavaria)
For me it was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. I was incredibly hyped from the first trailer and previews. The features promised sounded like everything I wanted back then. An open world with survival elements, an AI that really lives in the world and can do quests themselves, even complete the game before you, the emissions that would wreak havok across the map and change monster spawn points and so on.
The game got delayed over and over again before finally releasing with a lot of the promised features not in or toned down from earlier showings and promises made.
In the end it's still a great game that remains unmatched in some departments and I was hoping more single player games would adopt some of its features.
During the wait i was active in a fan forum which helped waiting for it.
What also helped was that during (and after) development some alpha and beta versions of the game leaked online. Even though they were nowhere near complete it was nice to get a little slice of whats to come.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy 15 (or when it "technically" was Versus, even though the final product no longer resembles the plan from Versus) were probably the worst waits for me compared to anything else. I did have plenty of games and stuff to do while I waited for them, but every minor news and information drop was like an antagonizing reminder of them being in production.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Star Wars Battlefront (2015)

Consumed every piece of media I could find and went to the Star Wars Identities Exhibition which had real props, weapons and clothes used in the movies. It was awe-inspiring.

And then the game was really awesome too, in my opinion. The most authentic Star Wars multiplayer experience I could have asked for.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3. Only game I went on a half-assed media blackout for (didn't go on gaf or twitter when the Japanese release was out)

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
Chrono Break.

For real though, I never endured a harder wait than Pokémon Gold and Silver.

Hear me out. I was 11 back in 1999 and everyone in school, i mean EVERYONE, was playing Pokémon Red and Blue. Proper craze. My parents got the Internet by spring 1999 and let me tell you I was the coolest kid because I was one of the few. The rich kid next door had the PS1 and the N64 but I had the Internet!! We started looking for Pokémon stuff online (that darn truck) and we stumbled upon the infamous Pikablue, Ho-oh... and a couple of others. That was our breakthrough. We printed the webpage and the next day, at school, we told our friends about our findings. There were not 151 Pokémon but 156! Comes december 1999, we find out about... a new Pokémon game. Already released in Japan! The best bit? The rom was downloadable!

For a few days, we were the kings of the hill, telling people about this new Pokémon game, Gold and Silver, playing it... except we're not fluent in english, and it's not even fully translated. And then we realize : the game is set to be released in... 2001. This is december 1999! How are we supposed to WAIT?

The day I grabbed my copy of Pokémon Silver was one of the best in my whole childhood, but man, being able to play the game before it got officially released in Europe added a special bond between Pokémon GS and me. I felt like this game was made just for me, and the day it got available to everyone, it really, really felt like introducing a very good friend to all your other friends. What a crazy wait.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Half Life 3. I stare into a mirror once a day for an hour and repeat to myself "It's going to be worth it".

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Breath of the Wild. The build up and the hype were torturous, and then release day rolled around, and I held it in my hands... as I left for work.

In hindsight, I wish I'd just called in sick.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
For me it was S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. I was incredibly hyped from the first trailer and previews. The features promised sounded like everything I wanted back then. An open world with survival elements, an AI that really lives in the world and can do quests themselves, even complete the game before you, the emissions that would wreak havok across the map and change monster spawn points and so on.
The game got delayed over and over again before finally releasing with a lot of the promised features not in or toned down from earlier showings and promises made.
In the end it's still a great game that remains unmatched in some departments and I was hoping more single player games would adopt some of its features.
During the wait i was active in a fan forum which helped waiting for it.
What also helped was that during (and after) development some alpha and beta versions of the game leaked online. Even though they were nowhere near complete it was nice to get a little slice of whats to come.
Me exactly. Haven't had this ever since. Systematic design in games got more trendy this gen, but also more 'gamey' and static. The possibility space S.T.A.L.K.E.R. promised seemed way to ambitious, especially for 2003/2004. But i'm glad it came out, even if it's ambition got nerfed. Still waiting for a game that matches it's promise of a persistent emergent systemic world, combined with an immersive scripted feel (without scripts)

Edit to clarify: I hoped future games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R would eventually generate these 'No Country For Old Men' moments of "What the hell happend here?" through systems colliding with each other and having repercussions on the world state.

Instead we still have to deal with world state bubbles that reset when you get to far from these events (RDR2 for example)

Last edited:

chechi

Dec 3, 2018
Warcraft 3 - I dont remember how long it took Blizzard to finish the game, but back then it seemed like forever. I had to pre-order the game three times, because the first two times both local-gamestores went bankrupt during the development of WC3.

I passed my time by religiously studying every screenshot I could find and re-reading all the articles from my favorite and not-so-favorite game-magazines. Especially several delays made me so mad back then. I definitely had to learn how to be patient as a kid by waiting all those years for just this one game - a lesson for life I guess.

adit

Oct 29, 2017
tonja
i'm big fans of Fortune/Itadaki street series

the latest game, Fortune Street Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary has been released since 2 years ago but in Japanese/Chinese only :(

i'm still waiting for western versio , but its probably never happened and i actually considered to learn Japanese for this game

Bad_Boy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God of war 2 was a hard wait. I remember marking down my calendar daily. I havent done that since.

Usually console releases are harder to wait for than games. I love the new tech.

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
GoW 2018. Was on complete media black out after E3 2017 showing...and by the time April started, the wait was unbearable. What helped? Was recovering from an eye injury so wasn't in a state to play games anyways. Media black out helped a bit too. But every time I hear the world serpent in the E3 2017 video(which I used to watch a lot), I felt like I cant breathe waiting to play this game.

Half Life 3. I stare into a mirror once a day for an hour and repeat to myself "It's going to be worth it".
:(

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
uORXpYm.png

This and Cyberpunk 2077 for me.
Especially Cyberpunk, it's going to be 8 years since I've started waiting for it.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Final Fantasy VIII and Metal Gear Solid took what felt like an eternity when I was a kid. It probably was actually an year.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 for certain.

I'd like to technically say Vampire the Masquerade 2 because I've been wanting a sequel arguably for longer but that wouldn't be technically fair because a sequel wasn't properly announced until recently.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I was like this when I was younger when waiting for games like RDR and GTA IV. Not so much or at all any longer tbh. I was excited for RDR 2 and god of war last year but it wasn't like it was occupying my mind or anything.

Metalgus

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda: Ocarina of Time for me. For about two years before release I'd use my weekly free Internet time at the library to read about the game on various websites. Then about three months before release I made a small tear off calendar counting down to release date. Each day I'd rip a paper out and I'd see how many days were left. I also had a countdown in my school agenda. I was pretty much obssessed with it. My defense? I was 15.

Oct 1, 2019
Definitely Spider-Man PS4. My thirst for that game was so much that I had to accept travel orders in my job for a month just to keep me preoccupied.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Iceborne on PC currently, every time I load up the game currently on Steam, I die a little inside. Watching streams to tide me over isn't helping that much either.

Seeing the Layered Armor changes set me over the edge also. Please help me, I'm in agony.

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
TLOU Part 2, I don't know what to do until February, maybe re-learn to snowboard or something I guess...

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a young person, the wait for Sonic2 and Street Fighter 2 were excruciating.

As an adult, Halo 3 was a really super fun ride. A mixture of friends and Halo-GAF created a perfect storm of anticipation.

Nowadays, waiting for stuff doesn't really bother me. It's not like I have the time to play anyway :(

DKeygo

Jun 29, 2019
Kingdom Hearts 2 and 3

I blame KH2 being a hard wait on me being in middle school. I pre-ordered the game with the strategy guide. I went onto so many forums and fansites just about every day. It was a lot of fun reading everyone's analyses based on whatever new trailer or image was released. The trailers were cut so well back then (probably nostalgia). Who was BHK? How do drives work? 1000 heartless battle?! God I was legit dreaming about the release every other night.

With KH3, it was the slow realization that holy shit....it's actually coming out and it's soon. There was a lot of apprehension about it's quality otherwise so I just had to keep myself positive about it. "You have to judge it for yourself. You haven't tried it. " Blah blah blah. Then we get 2 months from release and friends irl started talking about the game. Friends who I didn't even know knew anything about games. Suddenly I was the one catching everyone up on the basic details of what had happened since KH2. I put in a request for a few days off before and after its release. One month from release and I ended up marathon running through 1.5+2.5 collection over and over. Then when we finally got to release day, it was just me and my fiancée on the couch all day. It was great.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I recall it being Tony Hawk 1 for Dreamcast, which came out 8 months after it initially released on PlayStation. My friends had PlayStations but I didn't, and I couldn't wait to get my own copy.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zelda on Wii U which eventually became BOTW. I was highly anticipating it before they even revealed what it looked like as soon as they mentioned it was in development. I think the game was first mentioned in 2011 before the Wii U was released? That's roughly a 5-6 year wait.

I passed the time by just by living my life I guess.