• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't play much this year, but Rune Factory 5 for me. I expected something that would improve and adds alot of stuff from 4, but instead it regressed on almost all aspect even by the franchise standard while having a terrible performance on Switch. Hate how empty and hollow the game feels after switching to 3D.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostwire Tokyo is a game I was pondering picking up during a recent sale only to discover I not already owned it, but I had completed it back at launch. Repetitive and forgettable the whole way through, even though there were some neat ideas scattered about. I love Tango and the setting/art style so it was a big bummer for me.

less

Oct 25, 2017
For me it is Warzone 2. Truly let down by the experience. Enough so that Caldera feels better to me now. WZ2's pacing is primarily the main issue I have with the game. Far far too much moving from place to place without combat.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Callisto Protocol

I didn't even finish it. Also I have no idea why I bought it after some of those reviews. Such a massive waste, I was HYPED.

Ghostwire Tokyo

Again, I couldn't even be bothered to finish a game I bought full price. A fucking chore and a bore.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
Mario Strikers Battle League. It's fine but so content bare.
This is my answer as well. Next Level Games is one of Nintendo's best assets. The Strikers series has real potential to be this huge, great game. But it's another anemic Mario spinoff title that we've seen since the Wii U era.

It was the last straw for me in believing in Nintendo releases that aren't their big tent pole titles. They put the bare minimum into their smaller titles and it sucks. Frankly a waste of NLG.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
God of War: Ragnarok tops the list for me.

That, plus The Quarry and the new Mario+Rabbids title.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Nothing from this year really disappointed me, closest game was Deathloop since I waited for it to hit Game Pass and it isn't for me at all.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Stray. It's not a bad game and I enjoyed playing it, but I expected so much more. It just doesn't feels like playing a cat gameplay wise and I don't really understand how it could get Goty nominations with so much better games this year. Or maybe I do. This was a social media sensation, because cats are cute als hell.
This was mine. Agreed that it wasn't bad or anything; I just didn't get much out of it beyond the initial cute factor. Happy I was able to play it on PS+ Extra day one though. I also feel like it stole the spotlight from Neon White, which is IMO the far superior Annapurna game of 2022.

Edit: GT7 is a better pick. Was so hyped, but it just didn't do it for me, I dropped it after 15 or so hours, and the post-launch support has been weak; nothing really there to bring me back. I kinda hate that I'm stuck w/ it digitally.

Last edited:

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
This barely counts since I didn't buy it or play it - but Gotham Knights. I was so hopeful until the reviews and gameplay emerged.

Out of what I actually played - Sommerville I guess.

I was more discerning this year, so I didn't really get majorly caught of guard by any games being bad.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Hackers 2 was better than SMT V, but it was still unfortunately another pretty middling and disappointing Atlus game.

JhOnNY_HD

Dec 13, 2020
Salt & Sacrifice after a brilliant Salt & Sanctuary the sequel is worse in every aspect than the original

Dec 6, 2017
US
This was a game where I just felt bad for people. It wasn't something I was looking forward to but so many people were and a lot of people thought they were going to nail it. So for it to be very disappointing for so many people was a blow.

I was way into Dead Space and the way that series ended and all, I was absolutely convinced Schofield & crew would nail this after all this time. Like the big comeback album everyone waited for.

I'm still baffled that instead he essentially made a same-gen bargain bin knockoff of his own game. What a wet fart.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Dying Light 2 definitely, the original was a pretty solid cult classic. All promotional footage of Dying Light over its tumultuous years of development suggested it would the an overall improvement to the first, with big names working on it, and a huge branching RPG narrative. What I played at launch was riddled with bugs and performance issues, player movement was toned back with parkour abilities available from the start in the first game locked behind RPG progression. It just didn't hit me the same way the original did.

Ghostwire Tokyo was also extremely interesting to me, and I just did not like what little I played of it. I think a lot of that could be rectified with less clunkier controls, but even then I was expecting a unique horror experience and not an open-world RPG based on Japanese urban legends. Not that the latter is a bad thing, but I definitely tire of open-world RPGs being the default for so many games now.

Oh and Overwatch 2. The most disappointing thing about it being the monetization and lack of ambition. Overwatch 1 was a pop culture hit and a favorite of the year which is unusual for a multiplayer title. The 'sequel' fails to recapture that and is essentially a reboot in content development with the F2P flair that I also grow tired of. I still find the gameplay fun though, but Overwatch in this format didn't need to exist. The sequel should have been the PvE campaign, and Overwatch 1 should have never stopped receiving new heroes and maps, the behind the scenes turmoil at ActiBlizz the most likely culprit for that.

Last edited:

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Of the games that actually released this year probably Horizon Forbidden West?

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Saints Row - I expected nothing, but they still managed to do worse than their last game.
Overwatch 2 - I don't know why they added the 2, it's just the same game with more monetization and way more grind.
Callisto Protocol - I watched a few streamers play it, I didn't even want to watch anymore.
Halo Infinite Multiplayer - I really wanted to get back into this game, but the lack of content is so disappointing.
Ghostwire: Tokyo - As soon as the game becomes Assassin's Creed with all the platforming, multiple collectibles, I gave up. I just want a small horror game with cool side quests, but the game's combat feels completely off, and the horror was not good at all.
Bonelab - They hide the actual game behind so much random sandbox stuff, I was so confused how they released it in this format. The actual game isn't more fun compared to the last one.
ELEX II - I expected more. The game is just so clunky and unpolished. The storyline is a mess, I gave up.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
These Callisto mentions are bumming me out. Oh well, got it free with my GPU(haven't played it yet).

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Ragnarok. I've not completed it yet, but man it's so hit-and-miss. The script and pacing are a clear downgrade, and it doesn't come together at all. I was expecting big things and it's just not living up to the previous game at all.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I played about 40 new releases in 2022 and overall liked just about everything but of games I actually had expectations for the most disappointing was for sure Horizon Forbidden West. I had infinitely more fun with other open world games like Elden Ring and Sonic Frontiers. Horizon is just proof that no amount of money and polish is a replacement for compelling world design and mechanics.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
Soul Hackers 2 was better than SMT V, but it was still unfortunately another super middling and disappointing Atlus game.

I was gonna say SH2 as well. I was already weary of the new aesthetic, but I sorta got used to it eventually. But the game is not what I hoped a sequel to the first SH would be.

It especially sucks for me, because SH1 is one of my favorite SMTs, and I've pined for a sequel for so long, even on this very forum.

Having said all that, the main characters' dialogue and localization is pretty good. Surprisingly mature for a modern Atlus game.

Jan 29, 2018
Haven't played Callisto Protocol but I'm disappointed that it doesn't seem to have turned out better. I'll probably give it a shot on sale but everything I've read about the melee combat sounds bad, and it sounds like it never really gets away from the boring generic industrial environments shown before release.

I also bounced of Tunic pretty hard. Charming aesthetic but just didn't feel great to play.

Sabot

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 31, 2017
Put 15 hours into Ragnarok and put it down, only game I did that with this year. It's a fine videogame for probably 99% of people, it just evoked nothing from me.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Dying Light 2 definitely, the original was a pretty solid cult classic. All promotional footage of Dying Light over its tumultuous years of development suggested it would the an overall improvement to the first, with big names working on it, and a huge branching RPG narrative. What I played at launch was riddled with bugs and performance issues, player movement was toned back with parkour abilities available from the start in the first game locked behind RPG progression. It just didn't hit me the same way the original did.

Ghostwire Tokyo was also extremely interesting to me, and I just did not like what little I played of it. I think a lot of that could be rectified with less clunkier controls, but even then I was expecting a unique horror experience and not an open-world RPG based on Japanese urban legends. Not that the latter is a bad thing, but I definitely tire of open-world RPGs being the default for so many games now.

Man, i forgot DL2 was this year. I knew about the development trouble, but I had no idea they literally threw away the entire story after Avalone got rightly canceled for being a pos. I remember playing thinking, when is the dam blowing up and revealing that part of the city like from the first reveal. Oh, this has to be it coming up. Nope. Oh, its over. It was all truly poorly connected mishmash of ideas and it's a shame they tried to pretend they still had this big branching narrative when it ultimately came down to 3 choices that change a line of dialog here or there. The game underneath it all deserved better because that second zone had/has so much fucking potential. A game world with that level of playable vertical space is so rare and unique and absolutely amazing to run through.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably the next-gen update for The Witcher 3.
After trying the game on-and-off over the years, and never really getting into it, I thought this might finally be the time I 'get' the game - and was looking forward to playing it over the winter break.
But the game's performance and visual bugs render it unplayable for me.

Elden Ring is a close runner-up.
There are parts of the game that I do like, but the amount of repeated/filler content is just too much.
I think I need to accept that I'm a Dark Souls 1 fan, and not a Souls-like fan.
I also think it's a rather ugly game, with unacceptable performance on top of that. I'd be looking forward to the RT update they announced before launch, if I didn't think it would make the game run even worse than it already does.

Special mention to:
Nearly every PC port released in the past year.
I've spent a lot of money putting together a pretty high-end system. And yet I'm avoiding games at launch, and playing fewer games than ever.
I'm so tired of the state of PC gaming right now, with nearly every new release having severe stuttering problems.
It's almost worse that some companies are shipping games and releasing patches to fix the problem within a week or two - because that's like an admission they were aware of the problem, but considered it acceptable to ship - or that it was an easy thing to fix and they just didn't bother. Delay the game if that's all it takes.
(and before anyone jumps in and says to ditch PC for consoles - that experience is not a good one for me either, even if it's stutter-free; I don't like using controllers, for one thing)

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Nothing from this year really disappointed me, closest game was Deathloop since I waited for it to hit Game Pass and it isn't for me at all.
I was getting ready to say I had a good year, but this is a pretty good answer.

I don't think I've given it an entirely fair try, and I'll probably go back for some more, but I was disappointed that I could set it down so easily.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna say SH2 as well. I was already weary of the new aesthetic, but I sorta got used to it eventually. But the game is not what I hoped a sequel to the first SH would be.

It especially sucks for me, because SH1 is one of my favorite SMTs, and I've pined for a sequel for so long, even on this very forum.

Having said all that, the main characters' dialogue and localization is pretty good. Surprisingly mature for a modern Atlus game.
Yeah, like, I still enjoyed it enough. But it feels like they made some dumb decisions to needlessly differentiate themselves and those kinda handicapped the game.

NinjaDBL

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 3. As a fan of the series, the ending just left a huge sour taste in my mouth. Worst story out of the trilogy so far.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Tie between Overwatch 2 and Pokémon SV.

Both are examples of the publisher/execs taking their fans for granted on a whole new level.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta 3, the new character Viola is terrible and the enemy designs are a huge step down.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Man, i forgot DL2 was this year. I knew about the development trouble, but I had no idea they literally threw away the entire story after Avalone got rightly canceled for being a pos. I remember playing thinking, when is the dam blowing up and revealing that part of the city like from the first reveal. Oh, this has to be it coming up. Nope. Oh, its over. It was all truly poorly connected mishmash of ideas and it's a shame they tried to pretend they still had this big branching narrative when it ultimately came down to 3 choices that change a line of dialog here or there.
I didn't know that either, I knew Avelone was ousted for being a creep, and it is probably for the better his work didn't make it to the final product. Didn't play far enough to get to the dam, but I definitely remember them making a huge deal about it drastically altering the world. I just assumed what we had been shown was blown out of proportion or cut back immensely. Damn.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Tunic or Overwatch 2

Special mention to:
Nearly every PC port released in the past year.
I've spent a lot of money putting together a pretty high-end system. And yet I'm avoiding games at launch, and playing fewer games than ever.
I'm so tired of the state of PC gaming right now, with nearly every new release having severe stuttering problems.
It's almost worse that some companies are shipping games and releasing patches to fix the problem within a week or two - because that's like an admission they were aware of the problem, but considered it acceptable to ship - or that it was an easy thing to fix and they just didn't bother. Delay the game if that's all it takes.
(and before anyone jumps in and says to ditch PC for consoles - that experience is not a good one for me either, even if it's stutter-free; I don't like using controllers, for one thing)
Yep I feel this too. So sick of these half assed & stutter filled ports. This year might be the least amount of new releases I have played since early 360 days

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's Gran Turismo 7. The game still doesn't feel like a full game. The cafe system only puts heavy emphasis on how so many types of cars are just underutilized. The economy is still a grind to get anything, and unlike previous games, there's still so little content in the game that you're just going to be repeating events to buy cars. These sorts of "CaRPG" games thrive on the volume of content they have, and GT7 is incredibly barebones. Not even the motorcycle equivalent in Ride 4 is as barren, which was made by a far smaller studio and focused on a more niche type of racing with motorcycles.

GT7 for me too. You nailed the points. I've never played a game so intensely for 10-20 hours and then dropped it so fast.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't actually buy it tbf, but Mario Strikers. That was the one Mario sports game I had genuine nostalgia for, and got sucked into the naive hype for thinking that it coming from NLG would mean it'd be a more substantial offering than the other lackluster sports games. But nope, it was just more of the game, with nowhere near enough stuff to do for single player, and continued the annoying trend of drip feeding content that should've already been in there but doesn't actually solve the game's major lack of content issue. The game officially broke me, from now on I pretty much won't entertain any multiplayer game from Nintendo that isn't Splatoon.

For a game I did buy, Sonic Frontiers. And yea, I know, it's a Sonic game, but that whole whirlwind it had where the marketing and impressions gradually actually became more positive managed to sway me despite the clearly mixed reviews. Also helped that it swiftly went on a decent sale. Anyways, I played it, and very realized the game's gameplay loop was one of the fundamentally dull experiences I've had all year. Just getting through the first world alone was a slog, and so I dropped it halfway into the 2nd world and never looked back.

Those two aside, I don't really have any egregious examples. Everything I was hyped for and actually played I enjoyed on some level.

Everyone still loves Kirby!

I already knew the game was doing something right because I never buy Kirby games anymore, but man, it really did end up a more pleasant surprise than expected.

engine

Jul 20, 2022
My reflection: I ended up playing a boatload of games this year. I beat almost 60 games and started many others without finishing them. Games were of varying quality, but I had fun across the spectrum. I'm glad I can still enjoy gaming, appreciating games for what they are and not expecting everything to be a masterpiece. If I was limited to buying games, especially at $70, I'd have a different outlook. I've recently borrowed some of these nominations from the library.

Gotham Knights: My initial impression was that internet reactions were unfairly negative. This was a fine Batman game. As I progressed further, I felt the jankiness and got annoyed by the massive amounts of spongey enemies. General gameplay design lacked. Why do I have to fight 3 man-bats to progress? I took more screenshots and videos than most games just to capture the bugs. However, the optional case files were good. I did generally enjoy the journey and the ending, but I wasn't interested in grinding for achievements and collectables after finishing the story. As a free game from the library, it was solid, but definitely not worth $70 for me.

Saints Row: This made a terrible initial impression. WTF is the opening mission (or three)? I almost quit early on. The more I played, the more I enjoyed it. It's a good game in the sense that B-movies are good movies. I appreciate its dumb-fun nature and think that lines up with other Saint's Row games. If you're expecting GTA6, don't bother. If you want some outrageousness and silly physics, it's worth a shot. Once again, thank you library.

Evil West: Bonus game, since no one mentioned this yet, but it didn't get great reviews. This game is awesome! It's like a modernized Xbox360/PS3 game in all of the right ways. The mild GOW-style exploration is fun, the combat expands in very interesting ways, and the story is bananas. If you happened to like games like Bulletstorm and The Club, check this out!

Stray: Another library game. I actually thought this was a ton of fun. It captured the feeling of being a cat, wove in a reasonable story, and had great gameplay elements and pacing. It seems odd as a GOTY inclusion given the mass-appeal factors of that particular award, but I do think it's a great game that anyone remotely interested should try.

My biggest disappointment:
Gran Turismo 7: I love racing games. I've been playing GT since Blockbuster offered the free GT1 demo with any rental. GT7 is the only game I paid cash for this year since I knew continued content would come and I always look for excuses to use my steering wheel setup. The single player campaign was poor, forcing you into certain cars and races. That's not the freedom that GT traditionally allows. You start at the back of the pack every race and have to deal with passing terrible AI with huge headstarts. How is this racing? The economy is egregious. I can't buy the cars I want unless I dedicate all of my gaming time to this game. The systems turned me off to the game more than they encouraged me to keep playing.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Put 15 hours into Ragnarok and put it down, only game I did that with this year. It's a fine videogame for probably 99% of people, it just evoked nothing from me.

I am sadly in this boat as well

Will resume it again one of these days. But it's not grabbing me like say From games or FF7 or TLOU.

Not quite understanding the 10 out of 10's, even with an empathetic lens.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I was way more excited for Horizon 2 than GOW and I ended up actually finishing and loving Ragnarok way more. Horizon's story was just so boring in my opinion. And don't know if I'll go back to finish it.

Also shoutout to Callisto Protocol…. yikes

TrollWhisperer

rectum with utmost
Oct 13, 2022
Forbidden West… it wasn't just disappointing, it was bad. I don't understand the GOTY nomination and good reviews.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Xenoblade 3 despite it being in my top 3 for the year because my expectations were astronomically high going into it

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Between Mario Strikers: Battle League and Nintendo Switch Sports.

I grew up with the Wii and I kept hoping Nintendo would revive their old series... but now I kinda wish they just stayed dead. There was no love in these releases.

mf.luder

Oct 28, 2017
I don't need your thread OP. I just need Todd and Aaron to tell me what was most disappointing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Pokemon Violet. I seriously can't believe they shipped the game in its condition.