• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 an ugly game?? What?? It may not be the best as 4 years have passed by but still looks very good despite the downgrade. Also, game of the generation.

Deleted member 49132

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Witcher 3 was the most painful.

I actually believe it was a more dramatic downgrade than Watch Dogs.

Don't get me wrong, Watch Dogs' downgrade was astronomical, but so was Witcher 3's - even more so imo

Edit: the only reason nobody shares this sentiment is because Witcher 3 turned out to be amazing, so it was all kinda brushed off

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
wow so ugly

There's that too. The DLCs look significantly more impressive than the base game.

Only B&W had some graphical improvements that weren't in the original game, but the size of textures for example was the same as vanilla game
Hearts of Stone looked just as good as the main game without any enhancements made to that expansion pack

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I understand people saying Witcher 3 had the most significant downgrade, but the posts calling it ugly or comparing it to a late gen game are completely silly.

Only B&W had some graphical improvements that weren't in the original game, but the size of textures for example was the same as vanilla game
Hearts of Stone looked just as good as the main game without any enhancements made to that expansion pack
The green/yellow filter over Blood and Wine did it no favors. Looks significantly better with that modded out.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 2 had the biggest downgrade of the generation, Watch Dogs coming close but I hardly care about it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
There's no denying that TW3 was downgraded, but calling the game ugly is straight crazy talk - this screens are of course without any mods
http:///Xfld.jpg
http:///Vfld.jpg
http:///Wfld.jpg
http:///Yfld.jpg
These are mine own screenshots from vanilla version of TW3 with the majority of them with Medium graphic settings.. somehow I still don't see an ugly game
http:///dgld.jpg
http:///fgld.jpg
http:///ggld.jpg
http:///egld.jpg
http:///pgld.jpg
http:///qgld.jpg
jesus christ I wish more games were downgraded to this level.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
for me its TW3 and it aint even close

fHs9WgH.jpg
That comparison is disingenuous. The "after" pic quality is terrible, and either the weather isnt as clear as it could be, or it isnt ultra. Here is a decent pic of that area.
Crows perch is clearly visible, they added the mist to cover up the low res background mountains, foliage looks better in the after-shot, etc. Sure, there is still a downgrade, mainly to the lighting, but they also reduced the aggressive sharpening, which is a plus.

Dec 16, 2017
Crackdown 3, the initial images, promised a game that would be in lists for most impressive of the generation. What we got was a game many people claim looks last gen.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP just had to call TW3 ugly. lol. Opened a can of worms and you can't close it up again.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Anthem.

On rank 2, The Division. E3 trailer from 2015 still looks better than The Division 2.

The WItcher 3 downgrade is real and sad, but not that huge and it's still beautiful.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I understand people saying Witcher 3 had the most significant downgrade, but the posts calling it ugly or comparing it to a late gen game are completely silly.

The green/yellow filter over Blood and Wine did it no favors. Looks significantly better with that modded out.

This is true.. first time I played B&W I left it as it was, because I don't like to play with mods for the first time and I mean they didn't put in the game to let the game look better, but because Toussaint is based on mediterranean regions in Italy, Spain, and southern France which can look like this:
Photo-article.jpg

Vineyard.jpg

Highlights-Spain-Mediterranean-cruise-21.jpg

But yeah, I like to play B&W now with a mod that takes away the yellow filter from the game
http:///sgld.jpg

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think the Witcher downgrade was more severe than Watch Dogs downgrade. Witcher 3 (as the Devs have mentioned) had its entire pipeline changed, to a point where it looks like a different engine. Watch Dogs had worse lighting, NPC density and particles but the render pipeline seemed to have been the same and despite the downgrade it still distinctively looked like it was the same engine, just inferior.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I am using mods for Witcher 3 like I said earlier in the thread and I think they really improve the look of the game.

I followed the modlist in the description of this video

Looks way better than Vanilla imo.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Are we considering Scholar of the First Sin, and by extension vanilla Dark Souls II, part of this gen? If so, then it's that, no doubt. Got downgraded so severely that entire new game mechanics were pretty much gutted as a result.

Thankfully, there are plenty of ENBs on PC that help the visuals quite a bit, but console players aren't so lucky.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is true.. first time I played B&W I left it as it was, because I don't like to play with mods for the first time and I mean they didn't put in the game to let the game look better, but because Toussaint is based on mediterranean regions in Italy, Spain, and southern France which can look like this:
Photo-article.jpg

Vineyard.jpg

But yeah, I like to play B&W now with a mod that takes away the yellow filter from the game
hey, whats the mod called?

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
Watch Dogs And Witcher 3 (also dishonorable mentions to Crackdown 3, Anthem, and the AC Origins patch that trashed the LoD/draw distance).
I loved how it look like Spider-man might have been downgraded but then when it actually came out it had been upgraded in many ways.

Like, half of the released Dark Souls 2 doesn't actually have any lighting.

Harvestvalley2.jpg

darksoulsii-2015-05-04-18-09-44-85.jpg

More like Not Shaded Woods amirite
These look like someone created some kind of negative injector that removes RTX. That sure is something.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like, half of the released Dark Souls 2 doesn't actually have any lighting.

Harvestvalley2.jpg

darksoulsii-2015-05-04-18-09-44-85.jpg

More like Not Shaded Woods amirite
I'm convinced that the torch system shown in the early demos was planned to be a massive part of the game. These areas were never intended to be shown like this (take a look at the lack of texture variation), but the devs overestimated console hardware* and they made some quick, drastic changes to backtrack. God, those screenshots are almost fullbright.

*or they decided that the torch system wasn't fun in the end. I doubt it, though. If that were the case, they'd have kept the lighting system and placed other light sources into the world so that you weren't forced to carry around a torch all the time.

Last edited:

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Dark Souls 2 looks like shit in both versions of the game. Still, love the game

Yeah I'm going to have to say Breath of the Wil. Anthem is the recent one though

Last edited:

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
I would agree that the console version on Witcher 3 looks ugly at times. Played it on PS4 and was very disappointed. The LOD for trees and vegetation was bad, shadow distance as well.
I got the PC version for free with my new GPU and it was a completely different story. With some .ini tweaks, the game looked gorgeous.

NotUS

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 is my favorite game, so the downgrade was really disappointing.

Dark Souls downgrade in lighting sucked as well.

I play both of these on PC, so mods have fortunately helped substantially.

Didn't care about the Watchdogs, Anthem or Ubisoft downgrades as those games sucked compared to Souls and Witcher.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of Ubisoft games. I totally get why the downgrades happen; they target something entirely different in the vertical slice than what was practical in the final build, and make changes in the final product to account for that. That said, they're easily the worst offenders when it comes to vertical slices not being representative of the game when it ships.

Perhaps the most interesting instance of a downgrade, however, is Assassin's Creed: Unity, which was plagued with technical issues at launch, and saw patches released for the game actually downgrade the visuals (such as the complexity of NPCs and dramatically reduced LODs on cloth physics) in order to improve performance. It's certainly not the first time it's happened, but it's not common when there is a visually noticeable difference in graphics between a game at launch, and post-release.

Most disappointing about these changes to Unity post-release is that there were never any toggles re-introduced to allow for better LODs on cloth physics, and other downgraded effects, meaning to this day, even on the best PC hardware, the coattails and dresses of NPCs will pop straight up as Arno approaches, giving the appearance of him creating a slight updraft as people come into his vicinity.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Photo-article.jpg

Vineyard.jpg

I'm pretty sure nowhere in Southern France, Italy or Spain has those puke garish colors, or a yellow/green filter applied to everything.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I played Witcher 3 on 1440p/ultra and it looks heavily downgraded compared to that demo.

Anthem might be even worse though judging by the comparison gifs, I haven't played it myself.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 2 were deeply disappointing compared to the initial reveals.

What was most disappointing with Dark Souls 2 is that it didn't even look like a game that was impossible on last gen consoles.

That combined with how ugly and lifeless some parts ended up looking, definitely the most disappointing thing to me.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 2 was the only gut punch for me. looked like a completely different game pretty much. even a whopper downgrade like Watch Dogs, you still kind of have a proof of concept feel in that early footage

should've known better though. no that would've been a workable 7th gen game. not sure even DS3 looked that good

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I think Watch Dogs was the most obvious downgrade. The Witcher 3's looked glaringly obvious as well, but the final product still looks great. However, Dark Souls 2 takes the cake when talking about a final product that wound up looking like shit. So downgrade wise I'd rank them Watch Dogs > Witcher 3 > Dark Souls 2 and disappointment wise: Dark Souls 2 > Watch Dogs > Witcher 3. Special shoutout to Anthem, but like The Witcher 3 the final product still looks pretty good.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I'm pretty sure nowhere in Southern France, Italy or Spain has those puke garish colors, or a yellow/green filter applied to everything.
LOL yeah, I live in Italy and it isn't a place that exist in a parallel universe with oversaturated colors, those pictures are awful X'D

Oh my god people, of course not - but CD Projekt RED took the inspiration for Toussaint from those places, mainly in culture and architecture and put a yellow filter because they wanted to make it seem almost like fairytale land, a land where knight fight for the hands of princesses, to make it more distinct from all other places/maps in the game which were more realistic/depressive looking
Of course no real place has such a yellow filter over the land, but you don't wanna leave the new map, which should look way different then the other maps that already in the game, the same when the new land has such a different culture .. I don't like the yellow filter that they went with but I understand why they chose him and what they created is pretty much how the land was descripted in the books - does it look cheesy or cliché? Well yeah, that's precisely how Toussant should look

RhaZo

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, SP - Brazil
This topic only makes me think you guys complain a lot hahaha. Some are even dishonest trying to downplay a game using some of the worst pics you can find about it.

Breath of the Wild and The Witcher 3 are among the best games this generation and the teams made various sacrifices on the graphics for other qualities.

I think that kind of changes only hurts when it's something like the first Watch Dogs where nothing was improved by the graphical downgrade.