• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
You know, the games that make you go "wait, that came out this year?" or "oh yeah, I forgot that game existed". The kind of game that isn't coming up at all in the GOTY thread, or in any other end-of-year discussion, for any reason. The games that didn't really connect with anyone, for good or bad. The kind of game that left the conversation immediately after coming out.

Here are a few that stood out to me as I scrolled down the list of releases for this year:

Dying Light 2
1-8.jpg

This currently has only seven votes in the GOTY thread, despite being the long-awaited sequel to a highly-acclaimed, successful game. Perhaps this one just arrived too late for anyone to care anymore. Or maybe it just wasn't good enough to be memorable. Either way, it met with a wet fart from critics and audiences alike.

Freedom Planet 2
capsule_616x353.jpg

Wait, Freedom Planet got a sequel? THIS year? Apparently so, and it was so ignored that there isn't even an OT for it here. The first one was pretty popular in this community, so what happened?

Nintendo Switch Sports
hero

Feels weird to put a game that's sold 4mil+ here, but there's currently zero votes for this one in the GOTY thread, despite being a Switch exclusive and follow-up to one of the most popular games of all time. I guess this one is just the arse end of Nintendo's lineup for this year on this site, given the general indifference toward casual/sports games. Even then, though, I haven't read any stories about grandmas playing it or w/e. This game is just kinda there.

Star Ocean: The Divine Force
maxresdefault.jpg

Now, here's one that should, theoretically, be right in Resetera's wheelhouse, being a full-scale Square-Enix JRPG in a long-running series, and it came out as recently as October, and yet I've heard virtually nothing about it here. It's still new enough that its OT is marginally active (we're talking 2 posts a day), but the game has accrued only 5 votes so far in the GOTY thread. Xenoblade and Pokemon seem to have overshadowed this completely.

Name some more forgotten games.

Tomasoares

Oct 28, 2017
What? I see Horizon 2 being talked all over the place, give me more examples like the OP did. Didn't know Freedom Planet 2 was out, 1 was a nice game

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who says Forbidden West has to be trolling because it still gets plenty of attention.

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Horizon Forbidden West and Mario Strikers Battle League come immediately to mind. Both are also my biggest disappointments of the year.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Feels weird to put a game that's sold 4mil+ here, but there's currently zero votes for this one in the GOTY thread, despite being a Switch exclusive and follow-up to one of the most popular games of all time. I guess this one is just the arse end of Nintendo's lineup for this year on this site, given the general indifference toward casual/sports games. Even then, though, I haven't read any stories about grandmas playing it or w/e. This game is just kinda there.

It's also not a good game to be frank, and a very disappointing follow-up to Wii fuckin Sports. I have not played Golf yet TBF.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Proposed ruling for this thread: any game that gets mentioned more than twice is automatically disqualified. It clearly isn't that forgotten if people are bringing it up.

zanna

Banned
Dec 10, 2022
Wow didn't expect to see OPs username here

Also - my personal GOTY, Rollerdrome has been totally forgotten. Would've thought Tony Hawk style gameplay + guns was a recipe for gangbuster sales

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Ghostwire Tokyo was forgotten pretty quickly
Babylons Fall too.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
games like Horizon Forbidden West and Dying Light 2 haven't been forgotten...DL2 is getting updated regularly with patches and new content and just like the original game will be supported for years...HFW is getting a huge expansion in February and was one of the biggest selling games of 2022

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Mario Strikers (or whatever the Mario soccer game is called) gets my vote. I adored the Mario soccer game on GameCube and Wii but the one from this year just seemed so lackluster and "meh", which is fitting for how "meh" the recent Mario sports games have been.

Also anyone who puts Forbidden West in here really needs to look around - it's fine if you dislike that game and all but it's VERY remembered, for good or ill. It may well be forgotten in time (kinda like the first game. It was pretty and had a neat idea but isn't super memorable otherwise) but for 2022, it's decently popular.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yurukill The Calumniation Games
F.I.S.T.: Forged In Shadow Torch (Switch)
Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief

Last edited:

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
Gran Turismo 7? I'm sure tons of people play it but, to me, it came and went without much fanfare considering how huge the series is (was?).

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Ghostwire Tokyo, Gotham Knights, Saints Row would be my list.

I'd normally put HFW in there too but I think the fact they are putting out a new DLC in the spring probably puts it back in peoples minds.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Freedom Planet 2 is weird because it didn't get a single review on either Opencritic or Metacritic. This is a sequel to a game that has had a ton of positive word of mouth in the years since it came out. The first game even got reviews.

I have no idea what happened there.

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I feel like DragonBall The Breakers qualifies for this category.
There were multiple betas of the game, and when it came out, at least in my case I didn't hear anyone talking about it.
Either that or Valkyrie Elysium. I actually thought it was a 2023 game. Could be a case of "I didn't follow the right people", though.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Treasure was basically sent to die by Square. I know people who don't know it exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i'm currently playing valkyrie elysium and i'm liking it quite a bit, but it seems to have received almost zero attention. it'll likely go on my goty list, not sure why no one cares about it

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Is King of Fighters XV a contender for this thread? I was considering using it in the OP, but I don't follow the FGC closely enough to say whether it's really forgotten or if it's just this site that ignored it.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Freedom Planet 2 is weird because it didn't get a single review on either Opencritic or Metacritic. This is a sequel to a game that has had a ton of positive word of mouth in the years since it came out. The first game even got reviews.

I have no idea what happened there.
Cos it took ages for the sequel to come out, and the indie scene is immeasurably more competitive than when the original came out

It's absolutely a marketing issue

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow Six Extraction.

Even a Game Pass launch didn't keep it in the conversation for long.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Rainbow six extraction - remember when everybody wanted a co-op version of rainbow six siege? And we got this.

Also anyone saying horizon forbidden west is crazy. This game sold a good amount of copies. Even going shopping this week I went to a few electronic stores in Canada and every single store was sold out of horizon for ps5.

OP
OP

Phediuk

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me, or did Rogue Legacy 2 receive only a fraction of the attention that the original did?