• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been going to the gym for two weeks now, and while I managed to make a quick spotify playlist with some great Hip Hop from the 90's - early 2000's, it's like 45mins long and I've already listenend through it about 5 times now.

What's the most hype music to workout to? Something that motivates you, the kind of music you NEED to move to, that gives you energy.

Thanks!

Edit: here's the current playlist btw, for those wanting to check it our : https://open.spotify.com/user/metalizzi/playlist/50tE7AdKwA65aFzUeQpb5i?si=O9ysGcf4TTaK86u9KdzjJQ

Flagship

Nov 6, 2017
I'm glad someone made this thread, I've been wanting to make it for a long time but was too afraid to do so!

Typically i listen to stuff from Shenmue/Yakuza's soundtrack (the high BPM stuff) alongside Ubisoft's Yourshape: Fitness Evolved games (which to the surprise of some I'm sure: has a really great soundtrack)

But if I had to highlight just one: It'd be the soundtrack from Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

I know what some are thinking, I know you're sceptic and we might have differences of opinion but if there's one thing that we can all agree on: Is that the innate sensation of running in these games feels second to none. It's so damn good.

The soundtrack in this game is different from the first one in that the music is dynamic to the gameplay (which results in the score being all these bitesized pieces mushed together) which makes for hard listening... but really awesome to have for workout/jogging ambience. It's just a nice, non-distracting loop.

Without further ado:

This is where I start the music when working out typically, or I just do a warm up and start this from the beginning. But the meat of this track is at 5:41 - 6:43... it's just... gives me heart palpitations listening to it lol. A bit of that Mirror's Edge magic if you will.

Tracks that I'm into exercise-wise come and go but from 2016 till now: this has remained on my exercise playlist.
Looking forward to seeing everyone else's contributions!

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I decided that wearing earphones in the gym is pretty annoying so I just put up with the standard fitness house music Spotify play list from my gym. I blank it out by now since its pretty awful at times.

Oct 25, 2017
220px-PanteraVulgarDisplayofPower.jpg

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
Probably my favorite that i come back to is Beastie Boys. But I cycle through so much stuff I don't know that I have anything more specific. I also have a home gym with a TV and Roku so sometimes I have it on a YouTube mix or a TV show. A soccer game, whatever I want really. A home gym is sweet btw. So glad I built it over a year ago.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's one I've been using a lot lately:

Great little 80s style rock track, catchy hooks, driving beat, makes me feel like I could punch a bear in the face really.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I don't have a specific gym playlist, I usually just put on one of the heavier albums that I'm listening to at the time. Though my backup is always 12 Foot Ninja, their whole discog is great for workouts. I highly recommend their Outlier album.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Go to the Les Mills site and check any of their playlists for Body Pump, Body Combat ir any of their other exercises and check the songs on YouTube.

Otherwise (no links since I'm on my iPhone):

Sugar (Mondotek Remix Dub) - Flo Rida
Jump Up - Major Lazer
Get Ready for This (Calimocho Mix) -
New Divide (M&Ace Remix) - Rivendell
Space Jam - Quad City DJ's

Are some of the songs I have on my playlist for the gym.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Vince DiCola - Training Montage

It's already been mentioned but if you want to go full 80s...

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
I struggle to listen to anything to busy, noisy or hard when I'm working out since it tends to break my focus, so anything Rock, Punk or Noise related is a no from me (as much as I love those and their many subgenres).

I find that Ambient Dub, Dub Techno, Minimal and Ambient Techno work best for me though, since there's enough ambience in the music for my mind to remain focused and just enough rhythmic repetition for my body to maintain momentum.

A few examples:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Posted this in the best covers thread and it works perfectly here too

This gets me pumped everytime.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Funnily enough the EA Anthem trailer back at E3 2018 introduced me to The Seige.

I, kind of weirdly, have a playlist where every song involves some sort of reference to running for...well, running to. A few examples would be Run by Foo Fighters, Run Boy Run by Woodkid, and this:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"What's up Danger" from the Into the Spider-Verse soundtrack is the opposite of the sort of music I would normally listen to, but nothing gets me more pumped up when I'm working out.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017

IN-DE-STRUCT-IB-LE
I wont let nobody break me down
IN-DE-STRUCT-IB-LE
nothings gonna stop me now
IN-DE-STRUCT-IB-LE
gonna gonna make gonna keep on going
IN-DE-STRUCT-IB-LE
the last man standing

I'm ready for whatever
I'm never giving up
nothing can break my spirit
cuz it's IN-DE-STRUCT-IB-LE

Nov 9, 2017
When I really want to burn calories, I just play the Cuphead soundtrack on Youtube. Gets me totally pumped even though it is fast paced jazz vs metal or rap I would usuall go with.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
Here's one I've been using a lot lately:

Great little 80s style rock track, catchy hooks, driving beat, makes me feel like I could punch a bear in the face really.

Maybe i'm a bit late to say this, but since friday after seeing your post i kept only linstening this bands music. It's just awesome and i just wanted to point that. Thanks!

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
mine is like 90% anime so it's not on spotify

Jojo OPs
One Piece OPs
You Say Run
Hunter Hunter OP and endings
DBZ/Super OP and endings
Yakuza karaoke
Sonic Adventure 2 OST
Bayonetta soundtrack
Devil Trigger
Persona 5 OST
MCR
Katy Perry
pop punk
random high energy classic rock like highway star

the key to a good playlist, especially a running one imo, is to have one song that triggers your adrenaline above all else as your ace in the whole. I remember I ran a marathon that I didn't train for and near the end I had to keep playing Black Parade because it was the only way I could make my legs physically keep moving.