• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017

This scene is the only one that's gotten me in theaters. Which is odd, because I'm not particularly close with my dad.

Nov 9, 2017
Oh man it had to be Coco. I already had tears at the end and then i looked at my dad who was crying, a man who I've only seen cry 3 times now in my life, and remembered his relationship with his grandma and how coco looked like her too and I just fuckin lost it. I was wailing my way to the bathroom

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I know the back story of the movie expecting to be sad but damn... I left towards the end.

511%2BJD4mAQL._SX342_.jpg
This is what I came here to say. Holy shit was the ending sad.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The dad's monologue at the end of Call Me By Your Name. Don't just look up the scene. Watch this achingly beautiful movie.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Can we count anime. Cause 5cm per second fucks me up. Mostly because I relate to it and have lived out the entire movie.

Same here. I don't get upset by much in media, but bittersweet stuff like this gets me every time. It's only 25 minutes long, but I'd recommend checking out Voices of a Distant Star. Not as good, but had a similar feel.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The last movie to do it was the trainspotting 2 ending, when ewan macgregor and Bigby turn into kids and the soundtrack is blaring. Such a moving scene.

The end of little monsters always wrecks me too.

Deraldin

Oct 25, 2017
Also this scene has a tendency

Excuse me while I go hug my dog.

This scene from Inside Out

:(

I didn't get much from that scene, but Inside Out destroyed me in a couple other places, namely anything to do with Riley wanting to go back to her old home. The introduction scene in the classroom and the one at the very end. I remember feeling exactly the same way when I moved as a kid. It was rough.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Before Sunrise - Ending
Before Sunset - Taxi ride
La La Land - Final Song
About Time - Last trip back
Thunder Road - Final shot

Last edited:

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
This kinda snucked-up on me. I thought my gf picked a rather bland, been there-done that movie to watch. I was wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Gattaca is quite a journey and it all kinda comes really hard at you in the final few sequences when you consider everything that has happened. Found it very emotional.

Apr 17, 2019
Viridia
When this passage from the books somehow, against all my doubts, translates very damn near perfectly to the movie.

"And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns. In dark Mindolluin's sides they dimly echoed. Great horns of the North wildly blowing. Rohan had come at last. "

Damn. Even now got all misty eyed from it.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
quite a few of the movies mentioned in this thread brought me to tears, but shout outs to The Shawshank Redemption

I don't know if anyone else had this reaction, but

as it became clear the main character was going to escape, leaving Red behind, I got closer and closer to a straight up bawl. when Red said that line about missing his friend, it finally killed me. that bawling evolved into a happy cry as they were reunited.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
The scene where Andy plays with his toys for the last time when giving them to the little girl in Toy Story 3. One of the only times I've actually cried in a theater.

Man, that was a perfect ending... I'm sure Toy Story 4 will be a good movie but the fact that it exists kind of takes away from that moment.

(There's also an embarrassing anime one but I won't post it.)

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
That bit in Dear Zachary broke me harder than anything else.

You know the bit.

Grave of the Fireflies also worked (can't watch it again, hell I can barely think about it for too long).

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
The easy answer is the last ~20 minutes of Paris, Texas.

The climactic fight in Blue is the Warmest Colour got me, too; Adèle starts crying in that messy, desperate, runny-nosed, red-faced, the-world-is-ending kind of way, and it's utterly real in a way that has rarely been captured on film.

Doctor_Y

Avenger
Mar 14, 2019
Out of personal reasons. Inside out. The moment Rileys mother tells her how proud she is that Riley is being "strong" throughout all the problems.

A wonderful way of guilttripping your child into not being sad. Forcing your kid to be happy and not let you see they suffer. Basically telling your child, that they are on their own.

And obviously.
Grave of the fireflies had several of them.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of movies make me cry honestly, but the ending of Coco broke me. I was a sobbing mess in the theatre.
The ending of Coco hits way harder than Up.

Just typing that sentence made my eyes watery.
Just thinking of that "Remember Me" scene gets me chocked up. Movies with a prominent focus on fathers instantly get me.

On that note, these scenes from Pursuit of Happiness get me too.

It makes it more emotional when you realize its ACTUALLY Jaden playing his son the whole movie.

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

The dogs look, the tippy taps, the silence, the acting.
The realisation that he just lost his last and only partner and possibly the last non-infected being

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forrest's reaction to finding out he has a son always makes me cry.

When he asks if his son is like him, or if he's smart, I lose it. It's the first time Forrest acknowledges his own IQ and learning disabilities, and making sure the son he just learned he had is intelligent is really important to him. Breaks my heart.
Was it REALLY his son though? (before adoption)