• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
When people question my decision to go vegan..
joker-7.png
Vegans Rise Up

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
As as the prices are better I could see myself consuming more of the fake meat. Beyond Burgers are very accurate, aside from the weird nutty aftertaste.

The problem is, what about something as varied as KBBQ? Will we ever get to that point?

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting when real meat because a niche product in the West, like eating wild game is now. People look at you oddly when you mention deer or whatever, I imagine a steak will eventually be the same.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
No problem here. If the impossible burger I had is any indication, then good riddance.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
The farmers aren't going to lie down and take it. Using antibiotics in farming has shown to cultivate antibiotic resistant microbes, but farmers fought tooth and nail to keep the antibiotics to increase their profits.

Now a product threatens to eliminate their industry entirely, not just a few chickens.

That's a good point, and I think a lot of this depends on how the politics play out. If farmers are important to the Republican vote, for example, then they'll probably be protected from this. If Republicans cash big enough checks from huge multi-nationals that have lobbied hard to get this kind of corporate control and reliability over a desirable resource, then the farmers are going to get steamrolled.

So much of this depends on how the Republicans weigh the usefulness of the rural vote versus corporate sponsorship.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a good point, and I think a lot of this depends on how the politics play out. If farmers are important to the Republican vote, for example, then they'll probably be protected from this. If Republicans cash big enough checks from huge multi-nationals that have lobbied hard to get this kind of corporate control and reliability over a desirable resource, then the farmers are going to get steamrolled.

So much of this depends on how the Republicans weigh the usefulness of the rural vote versus corporate sponsorship.

Identity wise I think they'll take the farmers any day. "Soyboy" didn't become an alt-right insult without reason. The perceived feminization of men is an issue of utmost importance to those insecure in their masculinity. Money talks but "better for the environment" and "science" doesn't to Republicans.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm in. I'm already looking forward to new and previously unimagined taste sensations. Crab steaks, scallop chickens etc. Let's get weird with it!

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Identity wise I think they'll take the farmers any day. "Soyboy" didn't become an alt-right insult without reason. The perceived feminization of men is an issue of utmost importance to those insecure in their masculinity. Money talks but "better for the environment" and "science" doesn't to Republicans.

It would be interesting to see how this unfolds if other countries rapidly adopt this, and the US becomes the sole hold out, still eating farmed meat, outlawing abortions, rolling back minority rights, claiming global warming is a hoax, declaring anything unpleasant as Fake News, and spreading measles everywhere to Fight Autism.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be interesting to see how this unfolds if other countries rapidly adopt this, and the US becomes the sole hold out, still eating farmed meat, outlawing abortions, rolling back minority rights, claiming global warming is a hoax, declaring anything unpleasant as Fake News, and spreading measles everywhere to Fight Autism.

Land of the Free baybee!

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
I can't wait for lab-grown meat!

HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

I want to be able to eat lamb guilt-free!

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
I work for a large fast food company in Australia and we're testing fake bacon and pepperoni. Looks almost identical and the taste isn't too far off from the real deal.

Research has told us that millenials are more willing to try and accept fake meat substitutes. Trend will only increase over the next 5 years.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is terribly likely. It seems as though the justification for this idea is that there are going to be so many more vegans in the future that most meat will not come from animals:

The shift towards flexitarian, vegetarian and vegan lifestyles is undeniable, with many consumers cutting down on their meat consumption as a result of becoming more conscious towards the environment and animal welfare," said Carsten Gerhardt, a partner at AT Kearney. "For passionate meat-eaters, the predicted rise of cultured meat products means that they still get to enjoy the same diet they always have, but without the same environmental and animal cost attached."

Doubtful.

It also completely overlooks the economic costs involved. Companies that sell meat are not going to switch from the cost-efficient way meat is currently produced without a damn good reason.

My current take: this is 100 percent grade A bullshit.

Raguel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm up for it as long as it has the texture, flavor, vitamins and protein I get from meat.

Shit I'll eat bugs too b

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As as the prices are better I could see myself consuming more of the fake meat. Beyond Burgers are very accurate, aside from the weird nutty aftertaste.

The problem is, what about something as varied as KBBQ? Will we ever get to that point?
CEO said on Vergecast a better version of the Beyond is coming out this summer, possibly giving a better smell and color.

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
It also completely overlooks the economic costs involved. Companies that sell meat are not going to switch from the cost-efficient way meat is currently produced without a damn good reason.

plant based meat requires 1/10 of the energy and water to produce compared to meat. It's going to be an order of magnitude cheaper than real meat and once the taste and tech is there the economics of it will do the rest. I think it's inevitable, especially as people wake up to the fact that industrial animal husbandry is possibly the darkest chapter in all of human history.

I'm much less optimistic about lab-grown meat and if you look into the industry and what people on the forefront are saying it seems that plant-based meats is where the future is heading. I hope we get lab-grown bones though because I can't live without my demi glace stock.

Last edited:

HarryHengst

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think this is terribly likely. It seems as though the justification for this idea is that there are going to be so many more vegans in the future that most meat will not come from animals:

Doubtful.

It will happen, because climate change will absolutely force meat producers to either quit or shrink enormously. We simply cannot afford to keep producing billions of animals every year just to slaughter them again.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely in on this, I'd also pay more for it than regular meat. Though of course price will be an issue for the human garbage that wants their plastic-sealed 5 kg of pig meat for 1 buck just to throw 2/3 in the trash.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
As long as they get the texture/taste there I could see this happening.

As is, I haven't tried the Impossible but the Beyond burger doesn't really feel or taste all that close to meat. Like maybe really cheap heavily processed meat or something but that's not really good enough.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Good. There's probably still going to be some assholes insisting that it's "not the same".

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh sure why not. I loveeee meat but if they can find an alternative (veg based/ lab grown) and it tastes the same, then I'm grand.

Gonna tell my grandkids they missed out on the golden days of real meat 😂😂

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like 2040 is a pretty optimistic time frame. Tons of farmers, thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people will be out of a job. We talk about the impact of Automated Deliveries with truckers and how that's totally going to screw the drivers, but this is way worse. I'm all for lab meat, but you gotta provide jobs for all the people who will lose theirs and you gotta provide it fast. Otherwise I could see lab meat go the same way as climate change. Enough people with too much invested in it to ever allow laws that would stop it.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait for the anti-lab meat movement to happen. Mark my words, people will go to any lengths to demonize scientific breakthrus.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nightmare scenario. Every single plant-based meat substitute I've ever had is absolutely disgusting. And most of them made my intestines go berserk.

Deleted member 29806

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
I feel like 2040 is a pretty optimistic time frame. Tons of farmers, thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people will be out of a job. We talk about the impact of Automated Deliveries with truckers and how that's totally going to screw the drivers, but this is way worse. I'm all for lab meat, but you gotta provide jobs for all the people who will lose theirs and you gotta provide it fast. Otherwise I could see lab meat go the same way as climate change. Enough people with too much invested in it to ever allow laws that would stop it.
It is not about laws, it is about costumer demand. And it is not only about lab meat but also vegetable alternatives. Many farmers will either do the switch or focus on higher quality meat for those who refuse to choose alternatives.

I personally will reduce meat intake and will go for the best meat whenever I want some.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nightmare scenario. Every single plant-based meat substitute I've ever had is absolutely disgusting. And most of them made my intestines go berserk.
I personally would not go so far as disgusting because I have had a few different types of veggie burgers that are okay-ish, but they just don't taste as good as the real thing and that just kills my interest. Especially when they sometimes cost more than the real thing too.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
By 2040, most of the planet will be Vegan anyway...so I will call this "non" news for me.