• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah that's probably for the best. Ipp enjoy it while I can, but when it's gonna I won't complain

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too bad? We may reach a future where farming is a recreational lifestyle and all food production is automated

Hell farmers now do less than half the labors they used to thanks to technology and now they are gonna reject it?

If they were smart they would invest and get in on the grounf floor and join the club.

They accepted the technology that increased their products and efficiency. Not the ones that threatened their industry.

I'm pretty sure they will just ride it out by lobbying and cultivating a brand of "real meat, none of that artificial stuff"

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Well if they can make fake meat cheap and affordable then I wouldn't mind this. I am down if they can pull it off.

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
I hope the plant meat people are thinking about what to do about people with soy, legume, and pea allergies.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
The floor in meat production labs is way lower so of course. In a way everyone will be vegetarian in 50 years.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Impossible meat is delicious and will only get better, so I'm fine with that. Lab grown meat will likely taste like the source material, so I'm fine with that, too.

Though I'm sure there will be plenty of meat still snatched from dead animals in 20 years; the McDonalds of the world will use the lab grown stuff because it'll be cheaper, but I doubt grocery stores will stop selling chicken from dead chickens, especially for people who want some bone in wings.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Hell yeah. Reduce the carbon footprint of livestock as much as possible

MoonScented

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eating dead animals is gross, so I'm okay with it. Plant based will save animal AND human lives. Cancer and heart disease rates will drop.

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
I'm down to eat cloned meat. As long as it isn't worse for the environment than raising and slaughtering an animal.

But it's gotta taste like meat though. Like for real.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
If it tastes the same why not. Tried some of the plant based meat replacements and while it is close it is maybe at 80 % of where it needs to be? Always want a meaty meal after having one of those.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The title made me think we found a way to genetically modify animals to regrow lost parts so we could cut meat off of living animals.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
If it tastes the same why not. Tried some of the plant based meat replacements and while it is close it is maybe at 80 % of where it needs to be? Always want a meaty meal after having one of those.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more like the 1% still eats waygu beef while the rest of us enjoy our new and improved tofu burger.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God, I don't even want to know how much a real prime steak would cost once it becomes a boutique item.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Yes, it is called Soylent Green.
741652_1.jpg

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
If it cooks and tastes the same, sign me up.

Won't happen in 20 years though. Current products are not up to snuff for people to completely switch over and won't be for some time.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
This will be awesome and make a huge difference in combating climate change, but 2040 seems a bit too optimistic.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Killing for meat eating will definitely be seen as barbaric in 100 years and I'm saying this as some who eats a lot of meat.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I can't understand that the meat industry is still going so strong. You'd think almost no one would want to work with dead animals every day but apparently many do.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand that the meat industry is still going so strong. You'd think almost no one would want to work with dead animals every day but apparently many do.

I highly doubt most people "want" to work with dead animals.

You can feed a family of 4 with less than $10 worth of chicken thighs. Of course it's still going strong.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I highly doubt most people "want" to work with dead animals.

You can feed a family of 4 with less than $10 worth of chicken thighs. Of course it's still going strong.

I can't imagine having no other options in life than to work with dead animals. Maybe in the developing world. There's definitely plenty of willingness to do those jobs and I can't understand why.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Still going to need to kill deer for population control so I'm guessing that meat will still be around.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine having no other options in life than to work with dead animals. Maybe in the developing world. There's definitely plenty of willingness to do those jobs and I can't understand why.

People do much worse in this country to make a living. It's ignorance on your part to suggest people want to do what they do for a paycheck.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
If taste, texture, and price are the same then good, I look forward to that future. I hope the macro nutrients are also comparable to real meat too, because I'd hate to not have comparable protein sources.

Currently the sodium levels are SO high in Beyond and Impossible burgers compared to real meat. I was actually surprised those plant burgers have that much sodium.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

Countryside it's not an uncommon initial entry job. I grew not too far from a Tyson factory in NC. Employed a lot of people.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao you got people who don't trust doctors to keep their kids from dying. Y'all know damn well they aren't eating meat made in a lab. You still got people who think eating soy gives you titties.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Unfortunately the way people live and consume now has created a system that is in no way sustainable, so yes look forward to different ways to get your protein from meats in the future

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Well I will give it a try, I bought Meat Sausage Rolls & A Vegan One at Greggs once to much confusion probably because of all the offal stuff I was going to consume with the Non Vegan Option 😉lip smacking.

The problem is I only did this because I have an Egg Allergy as well as Dairy Allergy (what I didn't realise the regular Sasuage Rolls pastry I think is made with egg or brushed with egg wash anyway so I aren't helping myself cos I am an idiot that or before I discovered my Allergies properly I never took notice of ingredients much )

But the Vegan Sasuage Rolls are made with Quorn & When I looked up Quorn it was made from egg, so like wtf Vegans I thought you aren't allowed to eat egg what gives? Oh I just Wikikd it apparently there is a potato Binder used in some Quorn, but do Greggs use that?

I dunno why they don't use Aquafab instead as a egg replacement.

Verdict- The Vegan Sausage Roll wasn't bad

My main concern as a Meat eater is will I get the correct proteins etc that my body needs that we get from meat from this lab grown meat & will they promise not to add shite chemicals? I consider myself slightly open minded but am still a meat eater currently 90% white meat though.

What about naturally dead animals will we still eat them or will they just bury/cremate those or become a rich persons delicacy (possibly illegally of course)

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just ate my first beyond mean buger. And as a big bbqer I can say this surprised me a lot. I feel this article is right. but I think it will be much faster then 2050. I can see in the next 10 years a mass market of 60 percent going this way. If the cost savings are there it will happen. Raising animals and processing them cost is kinda crazy when you think about it.

Edit: I'm not saying plant based but artificial meat will help move it to that much faster. If you can copy a peace of meat in mass production. But I think the tech will come from many places. Like all the work going into making replacement organs. The tech cant be to different. Profit will drive how fast this goes.

Last edited: