• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't there enough big whales around with tons of meat? Why don't we eat them?

Beyond the fact that whale populations are already dwindling enough as it is?

I personally would not go so far as disgusting because I have had a few different types of veggie burgers that are okay-ish, but they just don't taste as good as the real thing and that just kills my interest. Especially when they sometimes cost more than the real thing too.

For burgers it's less of an issue. I had a seitan steak once and it was like eating compressed sand.

Snack12367

Oct 28, 2017
It is not about laws, it is about costumer demand. And it is not only about lab meat but also vegetable alternatives. Many farmers will either do the switch or focus on higher quality meat for those who refuse to choose alternatives.

I personally will reduce meat intake and will go for the best meat whenever I want some.

Sure, but we also thought this about climate change tech as well. The awful truth about us is that the majority will choose convenience over other factors, even price.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Half of my enjoyment of meat comes from knowing someone killed it. This sucks.

I think real meat slaughter will still exist for a long time and it should

Just need to get rid of the terrible inhumane shortcuts and abuses that are committed with mass production

Im all for small scale farms that can treat animals with care and slaughter humanely.

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
If the taste is good, I'm in!

I already started eating meat substitute like falafel or soy steak and find them even better than most meat!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Still going to need to kill deer for population control so I'm guessing that meat will still be around.
Yeah, that was my first thought. We'll still have to do this, and I'm wondering if - instead of eating the meat myself - how much of a pretty petty I can get for it when only the rich are eating "real" meat.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Of course, there will definitely be a market for "real" meat in 2040. Just look how many people today are terrified of anything "artificial," buy "organic," shriek with terror at anything GMO, are horrified of "chemicals," etc.

Lab grown meat sounds way more terrifying than anything they are afraid of.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
Meh. I LOVE meat. Don't get me wrong and I want a way to eat it without all the negatives. Sign me up for fake meat pls

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly if by that time it tastes the same, has the same texture, costs the same or preferably less, with the same or even better nutritional values, then definitely. You'd be an idiot to eat animals then.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Got no problems with lab grown meat, as long as it doesn't have some fucked up biproducts of the creation process.

Most meat consumption is such a mechanized, industrialized, chemicalized process anyway.

Not doubting it but it's crazy to think you've never had meat. Not even as a kid? Your parents made you a vegetarian before you made the conscience choice of being one?

For people who don't eat meat for religious reasons, like ~30% of Indians (which is about the population of the United States), this is pretty common.

Oct 28, 2017
Not doubting it but it's crazy to think you've never had meat. Not even as a kid? Your parents made you a vegetarian before you made the conscience choice of being one?
Your parents made you eat animals, which you probably loved and would have been horrified to see get harmed, before you had the conscious choice. Besides, parents make choices for their kids on everything all the time.

It's good that more ethical choices are becoming more available. I just wish more of them were available where I live.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London

Yes, my parents raised me from birth as a vegetarian.

Remember, no baby makes a conscious choice about their diet. Your parents chose for you to be a carnivore, it wasn't your choice.

Edit: Cheesecakebobby beat me to it.

For people who don't eat meat for religious reasons, like ~30% of Indians (which is about the population of the United States), this is pretty common.

My parents and I are atheists so not a religious thing for me, though I know it is for some people of course.