s y

Nov 8, 2017
I was thinking about MGSV and how the open world added nothing to the game and how it would have been a much better product if the game was a series of Ground Zero sized missions/maps.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
You're right about MGSV even though I liked the game overall. I'll add L.A. Noire.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't find Horizon's open world particularly engaging. This might have as well been a more linearly designed game honestly.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The ground Zero map was deceptively large and more than big enough to classify as open world IMO

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mafia 2

Made a large open city with literally nothing to do in it except drive from one main mission to the next.

I rented the game and kept thinking "once I get through this linear introductory section the game will open up."

I thought that for about 7 hours before I realized it wasn't an introductory section.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No More Heroes, basically was just padding due to how short the game would be otherwise.

I was thinking about MGSV and how the open world added nothing to the game and how it would have been a much better product if the game was a series of Ground Zero sized missions/maps.

Yep, definitely try the Infinite Heaven mod. Makes the open world actually interesting.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Why are people saying BOTW, its open world is integral to its structure. Without the open world you just have a series of lackluster puzzle rooms and four underwhelming "dungeons."

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XV's world is so large it's difficult to comprehend, but you can't even explore most of it unless you use Out Of Bounds glitches.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Horizon zero dawn for me, the game was okay but i feel it would have been better as a traditional linear game, or maybe semi open like god of war

I didn't enjoy exploring that world at all, felt pointless

OP
OP
s y

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Breath of the Wild. It's pointless. Just as pointless as MGS5.
ZestyGracefulCormorant-small.gif

The whole gameplay is about interacting and exploring the open world though??

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata's open world, and side-quests, were woeful. MGS Vs open world was superb.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
The open world ruined MGSV, god damnit Kojima why didn't you just make a bunch of Ground Zero like missions?

Oct 27, 2017
LA Noire definitely. It's why I'd love a sequel with the R* magic, a livin breathing world in the 40s would be fun.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
At least Kojima fixed it in Death Stranding it would suffer if it was not open world my vote for most pointless is Rage 2 tbh it would have worked better as hub based or just levels

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Why are people saying BOTW, its open world is integral to its structure. Without the open world you just have a series of lackluster puzzle rooms and four underwhelming "dungeons."
They're trying to be edgy. BotW is all about it's open exploration as you said.

Anyway I agree with MGSVs open world being pretty wasted. Each time I launched into a mission I had the target I needed to hit and the while the open nature of how I'd accomplish the task was awesome, the land surrounding each segment was unnecessary. I kind of remember having fun targeting convoys across the map but It's been awhile since I've played and can't remember how often those situations would arise.

My vote for MOST pointless is for LA Noire now that someone pointed it out. You couldn't do much but obey the traffic laws and let the road take you from place to place.

Last edited:

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Headhunter. There's a sort of open world where you have to ride a motorbike from mission to mission. Mostly pointless but I guess it can be fun.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
It's Mass Effect Andromeda
Mass effect is infinitely better in claustrophobic corridors

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
LA Noire has a button to skip pass traveling through the open world. It can't get more pointless then that.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, MGSV.

Kojima made the two polar opposites of what makes good open world design. Death Stranding is almost feels like it's him trying to prove he can do open world correctly after the crappiness of MGSV's.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rage 2 is the best recent example.

Holy shit does it not only serve no purpose, it actively just screws up the pacing and draws everything out.

OP
OP
s y

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I hope they do more with the open world in the next horizon zero dawn game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think most Sonic games had pretty superfluous open worlds. I don't want to get locked out of this stage because I don't have the 10 moon medals or whatever.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Mafia 2

Made a large open city with literally nothing to do in it except drive from one main mission to the next.

I rented the game and kept thinking "once I get through this linear introductory section the game will open up."

I thought that for about 7 hours before I realized it wasn't an introductory section.

both this an la noire have the same type of open world.It being there doesn't detract from the experience, only adds to it I feel. Especially in mafia 2's case

although LA noire definitely would have been better being linear

it's not like mgs v where the open world actively gets in the way of the gameplay, and causes the game so many issues in regards to pacing and gameplay creativity

VilleEricson

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Mafia 3. Love the story, but the gameplay gets to repetetive because of the open world.
L.A. Noire too, there is nothing to do in that world.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Like here's Gralea in Final Fantasy XV, a city that you don't get to explore and only view for like two seconds. It's all placeholder textures, but you can see the wasted development. It's heartbreaking.

maxresdefault.jpg