• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
As I am nearly through the Donkey Kong Country trilogy right now, which is seriously still so good, I remembered that you have to do a good amount of work to see the true ending of those games.

For those who don't know, in Donkey Kong Country 2 you have to find all the Krremkoins that you get by finding and completing bonus barrels and killing the bosses for a total of 60 koins. You have to use those koins to gain access to the lost world and finish it to get to the true ending.

This is kinda within reason, and it helps that the game is pretty fun. However, comes Donkey Kong Country 3, which is also highly enjoyable, and that game brings it up a notch. Again, you have to find every bonus coin, but you also have to find 15 banana birds by doing some random stuff, and you also have to do some weird stuff to get to the game's lost world.

Another famous example is Arkham Knight which asks you to 100% the game to get the Knightfall ending, aka the true ending. This involves finding every riddle trophy and finishing the Riddler's challenges.

So, ERA, which game had the most ridiculous requirements that you had to meet so the game would give you the true ending? and have you done them?

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
Arkham Knight: The Thread

Haha, yeah. That is one of the most well-known examples, but I was curious about other games with equally, or even more, ridiculous requirements for the true ending.

This. So not worth it.

I mean, the riddle trophies were kinda a fun distraction in the three previous games even though Arkham Asylum does them best, but yeah, making them a requirement to see the true ending was a poor decision.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
DKC3 luckily has a passcode or cheat that let's you unlock the lost world automatically. Check it on gamefaqs

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Final Fantasy X-2 had tons of ridiculous shit to get the true ending.

Missed one optional conversation? You're screwed.

Watched some security footage and missed a random thing happening in the background, irrelevant to the scene/objective? No true ending for you.

Listened to an optional story told by an NPC but pressed X after you were done reading the text box instead of waiting for the game to move over to the next one? Fuck you lol

EDIT: Well then

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I guess in theory you don't get the true link between worlds ending without beating cucco challenge on Endless mode. not that it changes much lol

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Valkyrie Profile. It's impossible to get the true ending to the game without using a guide.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
FFX-2 is still the reigning champ. Still have no idea how I managed to 100% that on the first play through and I had a guide.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on Standard Mode. You have to 100% the game with all three characters, meaning you have have to complete all of the mini-games and defeat all of the secret bosses (including the terrible Mysterious Figure fight) three times. Thank god for Proud Mode.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
In FF10-2 where you had to press the Start button when there was a whistle in the background or something.

Arkham Knight is child's play compared to FF X-2

Final Fantasy X-2 had tons of ridiculous shit to get the true ending.

Missed one optional conversation? You're screwed.

Watched some security footage and missed a random thing happening in the background, irrelevant to the scene/objective? No true ending for you.

Listened to an optional story told by an NPC but pressed X after you were done reading the text box instead of waiting for the game to move over to the next one? Fuck you lol

EDIT: Well then

Haha. Gotta love this sort of randomness!

Thank you. Had no idea, but it surely sounds like a true nightmare

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I triggered one of the worse STALKER endings accidentally.

I don't believe anyone could trigger the "Londor" ending of Dark Souls III without a guide.

Radrigal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
POP: Warrior Within.

Oh cool. This game has optional life upgrades.

Oh what's that? You wanted to see the real ending? Gotta find all those upgrades to get the water sword. Oh, but some areas are inaccessible past a certain point in the game.

Good luck next time I guess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Valkyrie Profile has really, really SPECIFIC requirements to get the true ending. They aren't really that HARD, but they're so specific and so distinct that it's almost impossible to get it by accident.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I think I vaguely remember something like this. I know for certain that there is some sort of cheat to get all the kremkoins in DKC2

Yeah, I replayed the DKC trilogy about 2 years ago and said, "Man I'm not collecting all this DK coins again!" so I checked gamefaqs and you can unlock the lost world with a cheat code.

Thank god, lol

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steins; Gate basically needs you to start from the beginning and answer particular text messages with particular sentences to see the true ending and it adds 3-4 hour of mostly skipping stuff to see the true ending. Said ending is great, but it's impact is diminished in the game.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What were the requirements for Arkham Knight? I've only played a couple of hours and it's not even that good.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
PT, but that's intentional (and very cool) since the solution was meant to be crowdsourced.
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep on Standard Mode. You have to 100% the game with all three characters, meaning you have have to complete all of the mini-games and defeat all of the secret bosses (including the terrible Mysterious Figure fight) three times. Thank god for Proud Mode.
I think the way KH handles it by having different requirements for every difficulty mode is ideal.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
POP: Warrior Within.

Oh cool. This game has optional life upgrades.

Oh what"s that? You wanted to see the real ending? Gotta get all those upgrades for the water sword. Oh, but some areas are inaccessible past a certain point in the game.

Good luck next time I guess.

Dude! Never knew there is a secret ending to Warrior Within. Does it tie to The Two Thrones? Maybe that is why both games looked so disjointed to me.

Valkyrie Profile has really, really SPECIFIC requirements to get the true ending. They aren't really that HARD, but they're so specific and so distinct that it's almost impossible to get it by accident.

Sometimes I wonder, when a developer does this, what do they expect the player to do?

Like in DKC3, you have to draw a circle around some rocks in the level map. Who, and why, would think of that?

fek

Oct 26, 2017
I would never have guessed what you have to do to get into the true end route in Way of the Samurai 4. (It's not hard or time consuming though, just unexpected)

Last edited:

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Halo thread.
Requiring the player to finish the games in a mode where the cpu 1-shot kill you is ridiculous. Even more with that pain of enemy A.I.
Always beat on normal then youtube the true ending.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
Arkham Knight wasn't that bothersome when it comes to Riddler stuff. Challenges however, fuck that shit.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Sometimes I wonder, when a developer does this, what do they expect the player to do?

The worst part about Valkyrie Profile's true ending is that the game is only worth playing if you go for the true ending. The game kind of sucks if you get any of the other endings. The true ending is the story's only saving grace.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I knew FFX-2 would get mentioned here, but it's really not that hard to accomplish on a New Game+ file since the percentage accumulates across multiple playthroughs.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anything in this thread so far compares to what you have to do for Drakengard's Ending E.

Requiring you to repeat missions with completely bullshit requirements (like beat in 3 minutes, etc) to unlock every weapon only to get a bullshit rhythm game final boss

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Like in DKC3, you have to draw a circle around some rocks in the level map. Who, and why, would think of that?

Valkyrie Profile is kind of designed around a second playthrough. You're not supposed to get the best ending on your first run, and by the time you do your second playthrough you kind of have a couple hints on what to do to get the real ending.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
In this thread people don't like to see all the content in a game. Arkham Knight was fantastic to 100%, tons of good content.

OP
OP
osnameless

osnameless

Jan 13, 2018
People saying Arkham Knight haven't encountered true suffering.

Kinda the reason I started the thread. I know that Arkham Knight is a well-known and recent example, but I knew there must be some Japanese title that have you do excruciatingly specific stuff to get to the true ending. Looks like FFX-2 was it :D

What were the requirements for Arkham Knight? I've only played a couple of hours and it's not even that good.

You have to finish all the Riddler challenges. This means that you have to collect every riddle trophies which are scattered throughout the game's map, but they are too many. Also, you have to complete the challenges which are like some sort of time trial race stuff. People didn't take kindly to the batmobile and that what makes it more annoying.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything worse for getting the true ending than X-2, that I've played at least.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember ffx-2 being so bad. Maybe its because I always follow a walkthrough when playing a jrpg.

V23

Oct 27, 2017

Complete all story missions and side missions. Meaning you had to collect all 243 Riddler trophies and complete all his challenges/riddles.

I did it. noragrets.jpg

ObbyDent

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Final Fantasy X-2's true ending was the most bullshit I've ever had to put in a video game.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never got the true ending to Jet Force Gemini as a kid. I finally get to the end only to be told I have to collect all those dumb teddy bear creatures to get the full ending.

I had been shooting most of them so far, so this never happened.

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Playing 5000 routes just to get the whole story. Screw that, I can't do this anymore.