• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most pleasurable installation

• GPU mmmm that sweet PCI-E click

Votes: 306 36.6%
  • CPU, lowering that socket lock = yus

Votes: 121 14.5%
  • RAM it’s like the GPU but 2-4X the clicks

Votes: 361 43.2%
  • Motherboard screwing in corner by corner

Votes: 19 2.3%
  • Power cables / CPU Coolers / Drives / Headers

Votes: 29 3.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
RAM and GPU tick the same boxes, but RAM being a lot cheaper means there's a lot less stress about something going wrong, so I'll pick that.

I need a lie down after CPU installation.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Every single component I install makes me wonder if I'm breaking it

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Every single component I install makes me wonder if I'm breaking it
I used to have this issue, but I built 4 mining rigs and now I hold the proper contempt that PC parts deserve. All of that shit is way sturdier than you think :)
The mining rigs were fun because you get all of the satisfaction of screwing in M.2 PCIE risers, and 8 satisfying GPU clicks per rig. Damn, son.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
RAM, by far. Feels so satisfying every single time I slot some in and hear that heavenly sound.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the feeling of slotting in a big fat GPU on the PCI-E slot.

And while not a satisfying feeling per se, putting in the CPU, having the pin lock down correctly and not breaking the CPU always takes a load off my shoulders.

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
i like the little power conenctors for the front panel when they slide right onto those long, slender pins ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
After thoughtful considerations I've decided to go for the motherboard. This is the begining of a new and exciting story where you don't have to battle for space inside the case yet. And nothing beats screwing those screws who easily go in their threads, just needing a gentle final stroke to be locked neatly!

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I like the heatsink with the fans and thermal paste and stuff, so I picked that one. All the other choices are shitty.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
That GPU click is satisfying as hell, especially when you have a premium cooler (first time feeling this was when I had an MSI Twin Frozr R9 290).

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
None

It's all annoying and rebuilding the OS afterwards is even more tiresome

I no longer have time for this shit (and I built my first PC in 1998 and heavily modified my Amiga 1200 in 1994)

Oct 28, 2017
Wheres the poll option for locking the side panel on, then turning it on only to find out you forgot to plug in a fan or something else?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
  • I/O shield (because it means you didn't arrive at the end of the build and realize you forgot it)
  • CPU cooler

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's easily GPU and RAM, CPU is good aswell but installing the cooler afterwards is reeeaaally annoying.

Oct 25, 2017
Holding a heavy GPU in your hand before you install it is the best part of any PC build. You really feel like you are holding Thor's hammer at that point.
As far as actual component installations RAM modules and NvMe SSDs are the only things that are easy and satisfying too install.
How can you people don't like to insert the CPU put some thermal pasta and then fit the cooler? D:!
Because most third party coolers are a pain in the ass to install.
On my Corsair H100i I literally had to cut part of one of the fans with a dremel to get it to fit without hitting the CPU power connector.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
gpu snap when it breaches the sweet lips of the pci-e

cpu is terrifying to me

I bent pins once and it was an awful experience :-(

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Clicky RAM is always very satisfying. On the enterprise side of things, there's nothing quite like sliding drives into their slots after the foreplay of installing them in caddies for half an hour

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Something about the mechanical action of putting the CPU lever into the locked position really does it for me.

I use mid-ATX towers almost exclusively so putting a GPU in is more like "What's it caught on now? Why won't it just slot in?!" ..my cable management is not great.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
The only one of those in that list I actually like are GPUs. The others can be kind of a pain in the ass sometimes

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Y'all a bunch of pussays. No better feeling than slamming that CPU in, pulling the lever down, easing it back up, inspect the pins, try to bend a few of them straight again, doing some hail Mary's as you do it gentle this time around and seeing only a few artifacts when you turn on the computer. The best feeling. Living on the edge my brethren of a nerdy persuasion. Nothing like that baby's first construction kit that is RAM, or that GPU that you basically buy working out of the box as it ordains you to install it like the pleb that you are.

chaostrophy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got a new monitor recently and DisplayPort connectors have such a nice click to them. So glad to be done with VGA.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
CPU is number one when dropping it jnto the socket because of the perfect fit. Lowering the socket lock is nightmare inducing.