• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most pleasurable installation

• GPU mmmm that sweet PCI-E click

Votes: 306 36.6%
  • CPU, lowering that socket lock = yus

Votes: 121 14.5%
  • RAM it’s like the GPU but 2-4X the clicks

Votes: 361 43.2%
  • Motherboard screwing in corner by corner

Votes: 19 2.3%
  • Power cables / CPU Coolers / Drives / Headers

Votes: 29 3.5%

• Total voters

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
CPU cooler. If only because they're such a pain in the ass sometimes. It feels like an accomplishment when it's finally in place.

Zoyos

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
GPU and RAM are for the instant gratification types. I like to take pride in my work. I'm going with custom liquid cooling loop. That itch to do another on this recent Ryzen build is getting there.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone choosing RAM is obviously too young to have experienced the sheer horror that were SIMMs:

intallation_30_70_figD.gif
intallation_30_70_figE.gif

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I always feel im going to fuck up the cpu, power supplys a bitch to hold up whilst screwing, ram feels good doe

But the ease and the final part for me is the gpu. Thats when i know im done. Just slots in perfectly.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
RAM. Not only it has a satisfying click, it's also not difficult to install and remove. CPU on the other hand, it's a small heart attack every time.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Maybe a bit specific, but slotting in M.2 drives feels so, so slick compared to screwing/snapping in 2.5 SSDs or 3.5 HDDs and then routing Sata and power cables.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Older ram used to tear up my thumbs.
Im going with gpu especially large ones that just kind sink into place.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
The funnest would be the GPU, but the most satisfying would be the heat sink, since it's the most annoying. Once that's done, the rest is mostly autopilot.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The CPU, as an IT guy I regularly add RAM to machines or change the video card but we never almost touch the CPU. Also, it feels like adding the brain to your machine, the central part that links everything together.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
GPU > RAM > Mobo > CPU > the rest

The GPU is usually a big component that is laughably easy to install. Goes quick, satisfying click and you're good to go.

RAM, pretty much the same thing as GPU times 4. No heft to the component and a little bit more intricate because of the slots being so close to each other. Not as bad when building a new rig, or when getting a new mobo upgrade at the same time since you can then install them outside the case.

I like tightening screws, especially 9 in a row. Enough said. Puts it at a strong number 3 on my list.

Not a huge fan of putting CPUs in, even though it is pretty straight forward. A mishap could prove to be a costly one, and I don't like putting pressure on stuff when building PCs. That CPU retention arm has been hitting the gym.

Anything else is just straight up boring. Cable management, storage, fans, etc. Bleh!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2017
Can't believe all the ram and GPU lovers here. Psu cables easily the best, literally the thing that gives live and meaning to the rest of the build. Also helps you if you forgot anything, since you'll be retouching pretty much every part.

Aeferis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Building PCs is boring so the best moment is when the case slides close because it means you're done.

Until you turn around and see all the boxes you have no idea where to store.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
CPU for me, when you click it down and secure it, something satisfying about that lol.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate to see my mobo flexing while installing new RAM.

On the other hand, putting my CPU on the slot, then slightly nudging it to fit in is 👌👌👌 (The cooler/fan is a pain in the ass though).

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I voted GPU as my favorite but my least favorite is a CPU upgrade. I failed miserably the first time I did a CPU upgrade and actually broke it. I have not had any problems since but I still get a little nervous installing a new CPU.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
I'd say a nice metal GPU sliding in - there's a lovely feeling of heft. That and the physical click are both really rewarding physical signs of success.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely the cables. I pride myself on clean PC cases and I love the whole process of planning and routing all the cables around. And finally once everything is nice and pretty inside it gets the final external power cable and that oh-so satisfying click of the power switch gives my baby LIFE!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with you? Installing the CPU is the best thing. If it fits, it sits! Yes it requires a little bit skill. It's even better when you add the creamy thermal paste and put that sweet AIO water cooling block on top of it. Mhhh.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Immediate satisfaction GPU because there's nothing to screw up and the payoff is huge.

Ram is easy but eh it's like ok there's 16gb of ram big deal.

Cpu overall maybe after a successful install and paste and you're temps are great and you didn't fuck up any pins.

I spread my own paste too because the pea method isn't at all fun or satisfying. Temps are usually better too when I spread that perfect thin layer of paste.

Tesser

Writer/Critic at Hardcore Gamer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The true power rankings:

Satisfaction/Gratification: CPU > Drives/Cables > Cooler > GPU > Motherboard > RAM
A E S T H E T I C: RAM > Cooler > Motherboard > GPU > Drives/Cables > CPU

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Installed a ssd nvme last week and it was strangely satisfying. So small and easy, and clean. So much storage and speed... Hmm

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
What's wrong with you? Installing the CPU is the best thing. If it fits, it sits! Yes it requires a little bit skill. It's even better when you add the creamy thermal paste and put that sweet AIO water cooling block on top of it. Mhhh.

I remember trying to get my Hyper 212 on my Ryzen CPU and when I lost my grip it SLID OFF. Horrifying.

Oct 25, 2017
RAM everytime, shit is smooth. CPU isn't that bad mainly because it is pretty damn idiot proof these days. GPU isn't too bad but I'll be honest the fuckers are bulky and it makes me a little nervous. The worst? Easily, massive CPU coolers damn Noctua or BeQuiet, shit is terror inducing.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The Ram. The most annoyance has to be the CPU combined with cooling. I used a Hyper 212 and getting it right a real pain.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
GPU. That's always the last thing I install, so it's not just the satisfying "click," but also the fact that I've finished the build.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to go with the CPU socket lock, I guess. You feel like you're gonna break it, but then you don't, and it just snaps into place nicely and everything is great.

It's absolutely not the power supply, which is unfortunate for me, because I built a new PC earlier this year and accidentally got too cheap of a power supply at first, so I ended up having to wire it all twice.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
The worst part when building my pc was the wires being plugged in. Some of that shit is super tiny and a pain to navigate with imo. Everything else was simple.

Ram or GPU is my favorite though.